As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My [Chat] is Your Gain

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    wait is The Ocho not just a once a year gift anymore?

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    We binge-watched the first half of season 2 of Bridgerton last night

imo it was very similar to, but noticeably worse than, season 1, which is a bit of a bummer

still watchable though

MrMister on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Hey everyone.

nic10x1xmozj.jpg

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    The problem with the serious threads is that sometimes people disagree with me, but I’m obviously right and so I have no other recourse but to tell them to fuck off and die and then I am unjustly infracted :(

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

I've no idea, it's really ESPN2 but the Dodgeball ref felt appropriate

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    The problem with the serious threads is that sometimes people disagree with me, but I’m obviously right and so I have no other recourse but to tell them to fuck off and die and then I am unjustly infracted :(

Jfc Neco you cant just destroy these peoples' lives

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Tumin wrote: »

HELP I’M BEING CANCELED

Neco on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

I've no idea, it's really ESPN2 but the Dodgeball ref felt appropriate

I remember leaving our tv at work on (mandated by company policy) with something like Highly Questionable on ESPN2 and then I'd glance at it an hour later and it would be showing cornhole or drone racing league

Daytime sports programming is kind of its own weird world

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's... quite impressive how much better a vacuum cleaner works when the hose isn't mostly clogged!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »

HELP I’M BEING CANCELED

necco you can't be canceled.
    you're like the sun
    ever looming

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Are you eating yeast foam yet?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

nic10x1xmozj.jpg

LICK IT. LICK THE FROTH.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Man they really fucked up on the voice of Master Chief in the Paramount series, and the Covenant CGI is kind of bad.

Shame.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Haven't had a barm cake in ages

Would only see them infrequently in the Midlands, virtually unknown up here

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Good code should be self explanatory but sometimes explaining would require a paragraph long method name so maybe just write notes sometimes???

I'm a proponent of using human-readable object and method names as well as using comments.

The more experience I get with coding and working with coders, the more confident I become that self-documenting code requires comments, and uncommented code is by definition undocumented.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    japan wrote: »

I haven't had one in my whole life!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

I haven't had one in my whole life!

Bread leavened with yeast foam, aka barm.

Also the origin of the adjective "barmy", from "barmy-headed", i.e having the affect of a person with a head full of foam

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Programmers are, on the whole, absolutely terrible communicators, terrible documenters, and will claim everything is "obvious" even after being pressed to explain their own work and finding themselves unable.

It's unreal. Anyone who claims good code doesn't need comments is absolutely out of their mind. There is no such thing as fully self-documenting code. SOME code can be read like documentation, particularly well-made headers or REST endpoint descriptors in certain languages. But this is the exception rather than the rule.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Good code should be self explanatory but sometimes explaining would require a paragraph long method name so maybe just write notes sometimes???

I'm a proponent of using human-readable object and method names as well as using comments.

The more experience I get with coding and working with coders, the more confident I become that self-documenting code requires comments, and uncommented code is by definition undocumented.

"Don't be concise, be clear" is my view on coding. Too many people trying to flex rather then write useful code that can be adapted/fixed/etc by later developers. And they learn this shit in school often too.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I beat Elden Ring! It took me way longer than other people, ~150 hours (some of which was me getting summoned to help lfx with bosses, but only a few hours tbh)

What a fantastic experience. Very satisfying.

Now I'm like...huh, this has been all of my entertainment content for the past month. I haven't been reading or playing LoL or like...anything else. I kinda want to go back to playing LoL right now but I'm not sure. I see why people start NG+ but I think it's best if I don't and just wait for DLC.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My linter complains about this:
    func Foo() { ... }

The fix is:
    // Foo does stuff to things.
    func Foo() { ... }

I consider this "self-documenting", in a manner of speaking -- the documentation is attached to the code.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Programmers are, on the whole, absolutely terrible communicators, terrible documenters, and will claim everything is "obvious" even after being pressed to explain their own work and finding themselves unable.

It's unreal. Anyone who claims good code doesn't need comments is absolutely out of their mind. There is no such thing as fully self-documenting code. SOME code can be read like documentation, particularly well-made headers or REST endpoint descriptors in certain languages. But this is the exception rather than the rule.

yeah basically all this

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I beat Elden Ring! It took me way longer than other people, ~150 hours (some of which was me getting summoned to help lfx with bosses, but only a few hours tbh)

Now I'm like...huh, this has been all of my entertainment content for the past month. I haven't been reading or playing LoL or like...anything else. I kinda want to go back to playing LoL right now but I'm not sure. I see why people start NG+ but I think it's best if I don't and just wait for DLC.

If you want something different that scratches a similar itch, apparently Tunic is excellent unguided exploration with puzzles and tough bosses and etc

That's where I'm going next

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Go is also "self-documenting" in that the package documentation is generated from said comments. Example: https://pkg.go.dev/net/http

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    credeiki wrote: »

If you want something different that scratches a similar itch, apparently Tunic is excellent unguided exploration with puzzles and tough bosses and etc

That's where I'm going next

I really don't like puzzles, is the problem. I was in Elden Ring for the combat and for the vibes. Exploration is nice but not entirely the point for me, I think.

The other games that are sitting on my computer unplayed are:

Psychonauts 2, Control, and Outer Wilds (I am willing to believe that it's good enough to overcome my distaste for puzzles but I'm a little worried)

I almost want to restart Dark Souls 2 or 3 but I think that's wrong

Oh shit wait I had just bought Warhammer Total War and was 25% into a campaign, maybe that?

(I also still somehow have like 30% of Disco Elysium left from when I started it like 2 years ago and inexplicably can't bring myself to finish it or restart it)

alternately: League of Legends, one million hours a day (...except I had instituted a whole thing about only playing 3-4 days a week, not every day, so I need to stick to that)

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The second code stops being written it incurs a maintenance cost, and there's no silver bullet to keep maintenance costs from spiraling out of control, just endless slog.

I've always felt like reinventing the wheel was a code comments problem but the people who need the most help (i.e. ubfamiliar with software // domain) dont even read code comments or docs as far as I can tell (And I feel more RTFM layely but eh). Documented APIs and unit tests against 50-75% of them seem about as good as software quality gets on the internal software Ive done. Comments beyond some high level outline of why/how go to shit too fast without a draconian advocate forcing it in code review.

Tumin on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Weird West is next on my list, it comes out on the 31st and has been spread to many outlets already.
    It's a top down systems driven game, sneaking or lobbing explosives, wild west + fantasy creatures.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I’m sitting pantsless in my Airbnb, eating chips and looking at my jokes for tonight

travelling for comedy rules

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hallucinations by Blvck Ceiling - banger, or bangest

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Best comment is dankey's "//committing crimes "

sig.gif
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I’m sitting pantsless in my Airbnb, eating chips and looking at my jokes for tonight

How Elden Ring focused is your set. Judging by my online environment "is this a dog" jokes are doing big numberd.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Elden Ring has struck a pretty good balance between difficult as hell but also you can level up and basically become a capital g God.

Sounds like the start of a good joke.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

How Elden Ring focused is your set. Judging by my online environment "is this a dog" jokes are doing big numberd.

I’ll be talking to real people and not some internet nerds

my set is entirely based on how men drive like this and women drive like this

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Tav I hope you break a leg

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Women wear big hats guys dress like a birdfeeder and have 6 arms

• Options
    edited March 2022
    @Organichu I've fucked up my food tracking again (not that I've been eaten super bad, but just the tracking ugh) but i just ran damn near two miles straight. 10 minutes at 6.3mph, 5 minutes at 6.8, and then I turned it up to a running- to-contact 7.5mph and died at 1.87 miles. Motherfucker.

Q0G45ENh.jpg

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i just finished elden ring and it also took me ~150 hours. i did everything! and that was a problem! actually too much content! cut like 20% of this game!

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    My wife brought me that cool shirt back from SXSW, too

• Options
    I have the noodliest pair of noodle arms attached to my heavyweight torso

I'm tha model for that weird looking armored core where you saved weight with the noodle arms

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Summs you absolutely look different than your picture from like a year ago when your daughter was handing you your helmet.

Well done brother.

are YOU on the beer list?
This discussion has been closed.