Options

The [Job] thread brought to you by WAP.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh goodie performative theater from the big boss. Supervisors aren't closing their work orders? You don't say. None of the two big supervisors who oversee the individual ones are noticing issues with hours logged? Tell me more. Is there anything I've noticed that stands out from my end with the work order system? Maybe.

I mean it's not like I do a weekly report slash spreadsheet every Tuesday sent to every manager in the department detailing things like how many orders an individual worked on and for how long, how many open work orders were actually closed during the week, or how many open work orders each shop has and how long they've been open. It's not like I've been doing that for almost a year now according to your explicit instruction. It's not like I've seen how no one reads anything I write each week or takes heed of any anomalies in the data I point out.

It's also not like we've had this conversation several times over that last year with nothing done to address any of it, while knowing we'll be having it several times more over the next.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

It's also not like we've had this conversation several times over that last year with nothing done to address any of it, while knowing we'll be having it several times more over the next.

Sounds like some of my conversations with my dad!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm in a group called the Best Buy Network. I've been on it for like four years now. Basically a small group of people from different positions around the company that huddle up with corporate folks to figure out what's working and what isn't. One of the other field agents mentioned their boss denied them a coat. Now for field agents, a coat is part of our uniform. They're something we get standard, and can be replaced every year if need be. So I, being the "I'm fucking done with bullshit" person, said "nah, that's part of the uniform. Submit the order again and keep doing it until he approves it."

Silly me didn't realize how many other managers are part of this group this year (which I don't think is ok!). They immediately got on my case about having a conversation and making a business case with her boss because that's the right way to do it.

And being an idiot I doubled down, said "look, it's black and white in SOP. Coats are part of the uniform. If the manager is denying it, they're pinching pennies out of spite. Submit it once more, then go to HR if he declines again. There's no positive intent to be assumed here."

Off to a great start!

If it's part of the uniform, why is there even an approval required?

This isn't Best Requisition, comrade.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    2 of 3 interviews down for the TPM role, seem to be going swimmingly so far.

I may promote to a new job before I even get told the official pay for my new position…

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Turns out
    Einzel wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    If I never hear this guy say "data" again it will be too soon.

I should have gotten a clicker and kept track, I think we easily hit 200+ instances in every hour.

Data or dahta?

American pronunciation. An audial affront.

Dada?

Dayda

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    the halo cookbook better have onion rings

The halo cookbook should be called "How to Serve Our Lord and Savior".

I prefer fava beans and a nice chianti.

Jesus

Traditionally served with a red, but these days most opt for grape juice.

• Options
    The King of Glory comes with endless mimosas

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'm in a group called the Best Buy Network. I've been on it for like four years now. Basically a small group of people from different positions around the company that huddle up with corporate folks to figure out what's working and what isn't. One of the other field agents mentioned their boss denied them a coat. Now for field agents, a coat is part of our uniform. They're something we get standard, and can be replaced every year if need be. So I, being the "I'm fucking done with bullshit" person, said "nah, that's part of the uniform. Submit the order again and keep doing it until he approves it."

Silly me didn't realize how many other managers are part of this group this year (which I don't think is ok!). They immediately got on my case about having a conversation and making a business case with her boss because that's the right way to do it.

And being an idiot I doubled down, said "look, it's black and white in SOP. Coats are part of the uniform. If the manager is denying it, they're pinching pennies out of spite. Submit it once more, then go to HR if he declines again. There's no positive intent to be assumed here."

Off to a great start!

I think you might have missed the part where he explained that this was a huge American corporation that makes billions of dollars.

And they certainly don’t do that by giving out coats that they require their employees to wear.

It's penny wise and pound foolish. It's fairly trivial to limit people to 1 order of something in most procurement systems and the combined wasted time of the manager and employee likely already outstrips the cost of the coat.
    Not to mention productivity and morale loss as that employee now won't go out of their way to help their manager or company.
    In my company we did away with these approvals for stuff under a certain amount that's considered "appropriate" because finance felt the need to constantly dicker with us on equipment need which led to massive wasted time. Now I just get a notification of "hey, your employee ordered X" with no option to veto.
    Green dollar business expenses suck, but compared to most salaries they're cheap as hell and your only goal should be to make it as efficient as possible. It still irks me when I see management dragging their feet on computer orders for senior devs making 150k+. You lose the cost of the computer in the first week or two of shitty performance.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ooo, they also confirmed that the position is fully virtual and I can move anywhere in the US, at a minimum.

So I may move back from Portland to LA, time will tell.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The Virgin Islands are considered part of the USA, no?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Thanks to imperialism, sure

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Off to a great start!

I think you might have missed the part where he explained that this was a huge American corporation that makes billions of dollars.

And they certainly don’t do that by giving out coats that they require their employees to wear.

It's penny wise and pound foolish. It's fairly trivial to limit people to 1 order of something in most procurement systems and the combined wasted time of the manager and employee likely already outstrips the cost of the coat.
    Not to mention productivity and morale loss as that employee now won't go out of their way to help their manager or company.
    In my company we did away with these approvals for stuff under a certain amount that's considered "appropriate" because finance felt the need to constantly dicker with us on equipment need which led to massive wasted time. Now I just get a notification of "hey, your employee ordered X" with no option to veto.
    Green dollar business expenses suck, but compared to most salaries they're cheap as hell and your only goal should be to make it as efficient as possible. It still irks me when I see management dragging their feet on computer orders for senior devs making 150k+. You lose the cost of the computer in the first week or two of shitty performance.

This is also why we have corporate cards. There are things we need that we can't get on our site, or might need to go to the hardware store for in the moment. These expenses are almost never questioned because what, you're going to tell an installer that they shouldn't be buying parts for a custom job? But penny pinching is gonna forever be a thing because we have to shave every expense to hit our targets so management gets their bonus.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    A regular part of my job is budget transfers. This is moving funds within our ERP between different parts of an incredibly dysfunctional large organization for various services.

I frequently do transfers of tens of thousands of dollars, uncommon but still frequent it's in the hundreds of thousands if not millions. There are a large set of rules regarding how funds can be moved, including determining the purpose of the funds, etc. I often have transfers under $100 because some services (like background checks) are done centrally so offices/departments pay for the work by doing a transfer.

What did I get today? A transfer for one single fucking dollar.

What was it for, you ask? "Coffee reimbursement"

Guess what isn't allowed by the god damn rules that govern how funds can be spent.

Guess who had to deal with at least 15 emails in which I copy-pasted said rules from the government code, more than once, as explanation.

Fucking jesus christ.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    A regular part of my job is budget transfers. This is moving funds within our ERP between different parts of an incredibly dysfunctional large organization for various services.

I frequently do transfers of tens of thousands of dollars, uncommon but still frequent it's in the hundreds of thousands if not millions. There are a large set of rules regarding how funds can be moved, including determining the purpose of the funds, etc. I often have transfers under $100 because some services (like background checks) are done centrally so offices/departments pay for the work by doing a transfer.

Guess what isn't allowed by the god damn rules that govern how funds can be spent.

Guess who had to deal with at least 15 emails in which I copy-pasted said rules from the government code, more than once, as explanation.

Fucking jesus christ.

That is awesome... Oh wait, ok I'm sorry you had so much trouble.

(Seriously, why am I getting so much delight out of this story?)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    (cross-posting from D&D Chat)

Okay, this is cool now that I'm getting things set up. :D

My current security profile is:

Master KeePass password safe, stored in Dropbox
    - This is downloaded on my personal laptop, work PC, and Pixel phone
    - I have a fairly long passphrase on the vault
    - On my phone, I have the PW saved with biometric data so I can unlock it.
    I use Google Authenticator for my Work Microsoft account, Google, Nintendo, Twitter, Twitch, Amazon, Amazon Web Services, and my work password manager.
    I have Steam and Battle.net authenticator setups.
    Everything else usually has SMS or email-based 2 factor authentication on somewhere.

So I bought 2 Yubikey C NFC style. These are now tied to my Google account, to unlock it, and I'll be adding more as I play around with things.

But I wasn't sure how to set up my password vault. There's a plugin that supports OTP generation, but once you do that you can't unlock your vault with your password... Which was locking me down just a tad too much. So instead, I used the secondary function. A static password that sits alongside the OTP generator. So now, if I plug in the key... I can get access to my vault without having to type!

I'm also looking at setting up the YubiKey authenticator and moving off of Google's, because with that I can use the NFC features to unlock passwords, as well as store my auth codes on other devices.

I can't wait to play with this at work!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

Fucking jesus christ.

I'm sure I've told the microwave story here but this one gives it a run for its money.

• Options

Fucking jesus christ.

I'm sure I've told the microwave story here but this one gives it a run for its money.

I once had to fight a finance person in a chain of 12 emails that got escalated to management twice about a missing toll receipt for 75 cents. After that I took every opportunity to point out how useless they were.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Fucking jesus christ.

I once had to fight a finance person in a chain of 12 emails that got escalated to management twice about a missing toll receipt for 75 cents. After that I took every opportunity to point out how useless they were.

I'm guessing by writing the first email they'd already spent more company resources than they were saving. Certainly by the time somebody read it.

The Accountants!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Fucking jesus christ.

God see, that's the thing. Was it worth everyone's time and effort? No.

Would it have been criminally illegal to complete it? Yes.

I know which one I'm picking.

• Options

Fucking jesus christ.

I'm guessing by writing the first email they'd already spent more company resources than they were saving. Certainly by the time somebody read it.

The Accountants!

Even looking at the invoice in the first place it was all wasted. One of my favorite corporate moments was being called into a big meeting around a $1500 discrepancy and people making a hubbub about how it can't happen (it was a systems timing glitch that was a "once in forever" type scenario). I had my laptop, so I did some quick math based on the people in the room, then raised my hand and said "just so everyone knows, we've already identified some potential fixes and this meeting alone is costing roughly $28,000, so can we just move this to email?" There was silence and the meeting broke up 5 minutes later.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I had a supervisor for a government job who related to me a story once about how they had to take a second trip to Walmart over an item that rang up incorrectly, spending over half a day over the discrepancy of about 12 cents.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Every time an employee pays out of pocket for something vital to their job because the reimbursement process is too intolerable, the business office gets a pair of vile leathery wings.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Every time an employee pays out of pocket for something vital to their job because the reimbursement process is too intolerable, the business office gets a pair of vile leathery wings.

I figured they climaxed whenever that happened.

• Options
    The King of Glory comes with endless mimosas

Yeah!

If you can't get sloshed in Heaven, what's the point?

• Options
    I once had to be deposed by an attorney over a $45 restocking fee that a customer was disputing which my boss refused to waive.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Saw this on twitter and it felt very much like a work story from @Zonugal

"Today, when introducing WWI, a student raised her hand and brought up the death of a certain archduke. Nobody knew his name, so as a hint, I offered that he shares his name with a band.

Gentle reader, my students asked if there had perhaps been an Archduke Metallica."

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I figured they climaxed whenever that happened.

No one ever said it couldn't be both.

• Options
    Dumb kids don’t even know Archduke Operation Ivy.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I wish my students talked about Metallica.

Instead they just kept trying to get me to play their dubstep remixes via SoundCloud.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Archduke AC/DC
    Archduke ZZ Top
    Archduke Hootie and the Blowfish

Archduke Korn

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Archduke Portugal. The Man.

• Options
    Archduke Dead Kennedys

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Archduke Kennedy (Deceased)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I was in procurement compliance a couple jobs ago, because we were bought by a publicly traded company and had to be SOX compliant. Luckily we distilled it down. Created a purchasing portal with purchasing tickets and employee hierarchy and spend limits. Employee puts in a purchase request, their supervisor approves it, we buy it as long as its within their spend limits. Then the POs went through my manager and up the chain for final approval if they were large ticket items like capital expenses, but that was fairly rare.

For the most part it went pretty smooth.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Fucking jesus christ.

God see, that's the thing. Was it worth everyone's time and effort? No.

Would it have been criminally illegal to complete it? Yes.

I know which one I'm picking.

That's not very Russian of you at all, sir.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022

Fucking jesus christ.

The Accountants!

Even looking at the invoice in the first place it was all wasted. One of my favorite corporate moments was being called into a big meeting around a $1500 discrepancy and people making a hubbub about how it can't happen (it was a systems timing glitch that was a "once in forever" type scenario). I had my laptop, so I did some quick math based on the people in the room, then raised my hand and said "just so everyone knows, we've already identified some potential fixes and this meeting alone is costing roughly $28,000, so can we just move this to email?" There was silence and the meeting broke up 5 minutes later.

About 12 years ago, I was asked by our Sourcing manager if I could help come up with any alternate sources for a part we were sole sourced on. We only had one source because the supplier owned the proprietary coating process that we had just jointly spent about $3m and 4 years of development time to come up with. I asked why, and the manager told me because they couldn't make them fast enough. To be clear, we used up this type of part at about 1-2 per day, and this specific part about once per week. There was no reason to run this supplier out of capacity.

So I dug into sourcing and demand side, and found out that our supplier had been incorrectly set as our sister plant in Europe. And our sister plant in Europe had set our other sister plant in China as their supplier. The China facility, at least, realized this part had to come from the US, so bought it from us.

So each night, MRP would process at each site. Demand for one from our plant would trigger demand for one from Europe, which would trigger demand for one from China, which would place a new PO on us. So next night, MRP runs in the US, sees demand for 2 with an open PO for 1 created yesterday. So the system would cancel the open PO because it was less than 48 hours old and issue a replacement PO with updated quantity. So now Europe needs 2...

I discovered all this because our current demand was sitting at 256 pieces for our sister site. At a cost of $2k a pop. But instead of asking, "Why are we seeing 5 years worth of demand at once?" all that was asked was "How do I confirm this sales order?"
    Ketar wrote: »

Saw this on twitter and it felt very much like a work story from @Zonugal

"Today, when introducing WWI, a student raised her hand and brought up the death of a certain archduke. Nobody knew his name, so as a hint, I offered that he shares his name with a band.

Gentle reader, my students asked if there had perhaps been an Archduke Metallica."

I'm such a fucking nerd that I googled "Franz Ferdinand Band" because I know who the Archduke is, but had no idea there was a band named after him.

Heffling on
  • Options

Fucking jesus christ.

The Accountants!

About 12 years ago, I was asked by our Sourcing manager if I could help come up with any alternate sources for a part we were sole sourced on. We only had one source because the supplier owned the proprietary coating process that we had just jointly spent about $3m and 4 years of development time to come up with. I asked why, and the manager told me because they couldn't make them fast enough. To be clear, we used up this type of part at about 1-2 per day, and this specific part about once per week. There was no reason to run this supplier out of capacity.

So I dug into sourcing and demand side, and found out that our supplier had been incorrectly set as our sister plant in Europe. And our sister plant in Europe had set our other sister plant in China as their supplier. The China facility, at least, realized this part had to come from the US, so bought it from us.

So each night, MRP would process at each site. Demand for one from our plant would trigger demand for one from Europe, which would trigger demand for one from China, which would place a new PO on us. So next night, MRP runs in the US, sees demand for 2 with an open PO for 1 created yesterday. So the system would cancel the open PO because it was less than 48 hours old and issue a replacement PO with updated quantity. So now Europe needs 2...

I discovered all this because our current demand was sitting at 256 pieces for our sister site. At a cost of $2k a pop. But instead of asking, "Why are we seeing 5 years worth of demand at once?" all that was asked was "How do I confirm this sales order?"

We need a reaction button for this sort of thing, a "to err is human" kind of thing...

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Fucking jesus christ.

The Accountants!

We need a reaction button for this sort of thing, a "to err is human" kind of thing...

Or... and hear me out on this one: You could just react to it without a button!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've never worked at a place with its shit together enough to have the system auto generate the POs. I usually work at pretty small companies, so that's not really a needed feature, to be fair.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Fucking jesus christ.

The Accountants!

Or... and hear me out on this one: You could just react to it without a button!

Hail Hydra!