As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hell Let Loose and other [Military shooter]s that aren't Battlefield or CoD

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Oh dang I haven't played Chivalry 2 in a while, even before the first update. It really is a great game and the learning curve is waaaay easier than it was for the first game.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    How does Chivalry stack up against Mordhau? Mordhau was fun at first but the actual combat mechanics just never felt very good to me outside of getting the Maul and going skull collecting on distracted people.

Also some of the maps just had atrocious balance.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    The player base isn't hot trash, which is nice. I never played Mordhau but I hear it's night and day in that regard.

The combat itself though is the best part, it just feels so good swinging around the weapons. The balance is amazing as well, there are a few standout weapons, but for the most part any weapon is viable.

Even brand new players can have an impact in the game so it's pretty great that way, and it's a large playerbase so it's not just full of sweaty folk.

I'd say there is one map that isn't the best balanced - Coxwell - but the rest it's all pretty decent. One of the first maps they added Galencourt, is just amazing.

They've been adding pretty large content patches as well, I'm a bit shocked they have been able to sustain this level of content since release.

Dixon on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I seem to recall the Mordhau community being co-opted by alt-righters at one point? Or that might have been a different game.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Chivalry 2 is brilliant fun. It's basically medieval warfare by way of Monty Python, and the playerbase wholeheartedly embraces that. Mordhau is a cespool of Deus Vult asshats.
    I find the combat mechanics in Chiv to be a lot more fun as well. They're slower, simpler, and more deliberate, which makes connecting hits feel great. Being able to throw any weapon is also great fun. Sometimes when you're dueling someone back and forth for 30 tense seconds, the last thing they expect is a flying halberd to the face.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Yeah tossing the giant 2 hander mid combat is a favourite of mine.

We recently discovered the Chant emote while playing as the Priest on Galencourt...It's very deep bass humming and it's great during a fight.

Your name actually looks familiar gibs, do you play a fair bit in USEast? My tag is nkjcd

It's good that you see the same players rotate into servers. I have rivalries with a few folk.

EDIT: Wait I see Toronto, so USEast then.

Dixon on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Has Chivalry 2 released on Steam yet? I was really interested until I saw it went EGS exclusive.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I havn't played in a good long while, so it likely wasn't me. I should fire it back up again though, it was a lot of dumb fun.
    I think it's still Epic exclusive for the time being. The steam page is TBA.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I seem to recall the Mordhau community being co-opted by alt-righters at one point? Or that might have been a different game.

Yeah, there's a lot of dickheads in Mordhau ranging from pure sweat lords raging in chat to inbred racist trash. And of course the sweat lord racist trash. There's like five people total in that player base trying to just do meme builds and goof about and the rest are just pricks.

Considering Mordhau itself is a game where you can cosplay as a Monty Python French Taunter and throw frying pans at people that entire community needs to get a fucking life.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I’m fairly certain the game with all the alt-right chuds was Kingdom Come: Deliverance

• Options
    That’s the developers, but it’s a single player game so you can easily ignore the community anyway.

• Options
    I think I just found my favourite HLL loadout.

US, Engineer, Sapper.

Smoke grenades for helping an advance, AP mines for trolling people on random corners, satachel for tanks and objectives that you just can't crack and to top it all off... the Trench Gun.

The only downside if you always have people asking you to build stuff when you can't as a Sapper.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Yeah the US Sapper is incredibly fun to play. The trench gun has pretty good range so you dont have to be worried about needing to get too close to the enemy, but if you do you can make them pop like they were hit by a grenade.

I wish there was a little more customizability between loadouts, sometimes it sucks having to choose between the loadout you want and the weapon you need.

• Options
    Just making primary weapons selectable for every kit once you've unlocked the kit they belong to in a class would be great. So once you unlock Sapper, you can run the standard Engineer with a Trench Gun, or the Sapper with an M1 Carbine.

I have to say, running regular engineer for so long I really like the M1 Carbine as well. I wasn't keen on it originally, but it's got nearly no recoil so the 2-3 body hits required isn't hard to tap out, and headshots are still 1 hit kills.

• Options
    Ive been trying to get used to the Gewehr 43, when it hits its deadly, but if you miss the recoil is insane.

I think the Garand is probably similar, but I havent spent much time with that either.

• Options
    The G43 and Garand operate at distance much like a Mosin or K98 - careful placed single shots.

Their extra utility is medium range quickshots down sights where recoil won’t kick the target out if your sights and close range hipfire depending on how good you are telling where the center of your screen is.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Playing on Purple Heart Lane as the Germans and we take Flak

My team after digging in and not moving from that point: "They're attacking from the flanks!" Does any squad go do anything about it? No.

So me being me I strike out on a scout mission and find forward units approaching Madeleine so I call it out repeatedly and even type out in team chat that we need at least a squad to move north from there and sweep garbage. Nobody says or does shit. I swap to assault, go full Mission Impossible, and find a Garri straight west of Flak, then spot more bullshit further in, sweep that, and find an OP.

LIKE FUCKING MAGIC the team no longer has any west pressure and immediately pushes forward.

In a straight line. Again nobody flanks and the push eventually gets defeated.

I get tired of my squad's bullshit and swap to the only squad trying to do anything fancy and we end up getting an OP and Gari set up north of Douve to apply pressure.

Long story short the small flank applied diverts enough of the pressure off Flak so the team can hold it for a win.

Like, we won, but it was totally down to a handful of us competent enough to not just be "NO FLANK, ONLY STRAIGHT LINE"

Oof

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I will say I'm continually impressed with HLL's use of walls, buildings, barbed wire, and drowning hazards to create an open map that still prevents just absolute chaos. There's a flow to the maps that always feels organic instead of artificial and I hope other dev teams play this and take notes.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I finally managed to get Assault to rank 6, giving me Germand and US Grenadeirs. I need to get to rank 9 for Raiders, letting me use Satchels as Assault.

Right now I'm working on Rank 6 Anti Tank to get Satchels there.

There's just something about Satchels, dropping a massive, massive bomb and just... watching everything in the area blow up. Also they're hilarious fun if an enemy tank just trundles past you without knowing you're there.

They released some information about the next map coming - Remagen. The idea intrigues me, but holy shit the bridge looks like it'll be clusterfuck central. I forsee 90% of the games on this map never progressing past that bridge, and potentially being 'who gets it first wins'.
    7939703a25bff109f3d08f23db2c7d2eb642ff80.jpg

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, without boats or changing how a marathon man cant hold his breath for more than 6 seconds/teaching the soldiers how to swim that map is going to be a shit show.

What do the soldier/ammo/gas icons mean? Do different points give different supply bonuses?

• Options
    I’ve never really paid attention to the resource management side of the game because I don’t play commander or SL and engineer only as Sapper or on request to build something needed.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The resource nodes help the commander and give you points throughout the match even if you switch class after building them.

The manpower node will halve the cool down on your abilities (drop ammo, supplies etc) if you run near one.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Ah gotcha so if you're a commander standing near a manpower point decreases the cooldown of manpower abilities, ammo points decrease shelling/strafing, and fuel points reduce cooldowns on tanks and shit?

• Options
    For commander, I don't know. I was talking your cool downs for like the support class. Comes in handy when you're trying to get supplies down quick or explosives to your AT etc

Otherwise the nodes are for commander resources.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I finally managed to get Assault to rank 6, giving me Germand and US Grenadeirs. I need to get to rank 9 for Raiders, letting me use Satchels as Assault.

Right now I'm working on Rank 6 Anti Tank to get Satchels there.

There's just something about Satchels, dropping a massive, massive bomb and just... watching everything in the area blow up. Also they're hilarious fun if an enemy tank just trundles past you without knowing you're there.

They released some information about the next map coming - Remagen. The idea intrigues me, but holy shit the bridge looks like it'll be clusterfuck central. I forsee 90% of the games on this map never progressing past that bridge, and potentially being 'who gets it first wins'.
    7939703a25bff109f3d08f23db2c7d2eb642ff80.jpg

The only other thing that's even close to similar is Omaha beach. And at least there there are a couple of routes available to the assaulters.

I'll reserve judgement until I see exactly what the design of the bridge is. But it's going to be insane, good or bad, fighting on there for sure.

Strafing and bombing runs are going to be crucial!

Campy on
  • Options
    Actually there’s Purple Heart Lanes middle objective, which is a bridge as well. One side has a long stretch of river that you can’t cross and the other side you can barely manage to cross before you run out of breath, so the main conflict happens on the bridge itself.

It’s an awful meat grinder. This will be worse.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I have not played any tacticool shooter in a minute. May jump on tonight.

Also way behind on HLL news and just saw the Remagen stuff. If they're smart they'll doo what Post Scriptum did and add in buildable pontoon bridges way off to the sides so you have a smaller window of crossing and establishing a bridge head. The downside is the enemy knows about them so it's a real race against the clock to get it built and get bodies over and dug in before they can cut it off and force you to grind over the bridge.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I was trying to play MG last night and I just do. not. get. it.

All I can tell is you're meant to find a cozy spot and just camp? Because the set up time is long enough to be shot in the face before getting a shot off.

And I just can't play that way. I know how to kill MG players, and it's to look for the face near the puff of white smoke and plink their head because they can't move and shoot. So knowing that, I try to stay mobile and it gets me killed. But then when I set up somewhere, I get killed from a direction I can't see.

Ugh.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Sniper Elite 5 looks set to be the game that gets me back into the franchise.

While I probably have each title in the series in my library on some system or another, thanks to subscriptions and sales, the only one I've ever played all the way through was the Berlin 1945, dawn of the Cold War original. But I love the idea of roaming occupied France, picking off some sightseeing Nazi officers who thought the war would be one long holiday. If they managed to break up all the crawling around with some levels in Paris that are structured more like Hitman chapters, only with some intricately-detailed marksmanship, that would be my jam.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    IDK I'm bored of Europe. Africa felt like a breath of fresh air, but the return to Italy felt boring. Same with France. Give me Sniper Elite Pacific or something.

• Options
    I was trying to play MG last night and I just do. not. get. it.

All I can tell is you're meant to find a cozy spot and just camp? Because the set up time is long enough to be shot in the face before getting a shot off.

And I just can't play that way. I know how to kill MG players, and it's to look for the face near the puff of white smoke and plink their head because they can't move and shoot. So knowing that, I try to stay mobile and it gets me killed. But then when I set up somewhere, I get killed from a direction I can't see.

Ugh.

It's all about the suppression. It's a hard balance between finding an effective firing lane and not exposing yourself. Trying to cut off narrow angles. I'm bad at run and gun so it suits someone like me lol

• Options
    MG is definitely more of a map knowledge game than anything else. You find a protected spot and project a nope cone in front of you and hope your team keeps snipers off your ass.

I really wanna like Sniper Elite MP but when I played actually finding people was such a pain in the ass I got bored. Also too many people using rockets to defeat the point of the game.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I had two games last night where the squad leaders were just playing Assault, not squad leader.

Neither had voice comms (which is against the server rules), neither were putting down OPs even when asked, and were generally just bumrushing the enemy.

I had my first real desire to just jump over to squad leader and do it properly, though you can't unless they vacate the spot.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I really wanna like Sniper Elite MP but when I played actually finding people was such a pain in the ass I got bored. Also too many people using rockets to defeat the point of the game.

Sniper Elite MP was one of the few games I checked out in MP on the PS2. It was pretty much just run n' gun with SMGs. So I noped out and went back to Armored Core fight club over Xlink Kai.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    Looks like the Australian Squad community has picked up again, so I’ve reinstalled it to give it another shot.

• Options
    Weird - Malwarebytes picked up SquadGame.exe as a possible Trojan due to an outbound connection going to a certain IP. I quickly uninstalled the game and ran several scans to check my PC and nothing else came up.

Curious why that games exe was picked up.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Squad got an Australian update so that probably lead to a temporary boost to the numbers.

• Options
    I finally got my rank 6 anti tank in HLL.

Another satchel class, this time with a Thompson and AT mines.

fry-drool.gif

Also it seems that Squad Trojan thing is a false positive due to some server it's pinging. So I'm going to give it another run.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Have any of you tried Arma Reforger? I’ve never tried an Arma before, but this one is on Xbox and I’m thinking of picking it up.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Have any of you tried Arma Reforger? I’ve never tried an Arma before, but this one is on Xbox and I’m thinking of picking it up.

I have it. My connection to servers don't currently last long enough for me to complete any objectives, so I've decided to wait until stability is improved.