As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea added smoked tallow is a flavor explosion. Definitely upped my brisket game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I've been craving my family's chicken n dumplins and no that is how you spell it shut up

The problem is its very much a winter dish and also I couldn't exactly remember how my mom makes it. It was originally my dad's recipe and she just learned to make it and kept it going after he died.

Turns out!

https://youtu.be/pKLA2yO_jco

That's basically it, exactly. My dad's side of the family were dirt farmers from right in and around where I still live today and it makes sense this would be the way they'd fix it back during the depression.

So I think I'm gonna whip up a batch of this at some point soon.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hell yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That looks super delicious! However, I don't think it'd taste right to me if the dumplings weren't just pinched-off bits of the cheapest biscuits on the shelf. It's just such a mind-palace specific dish for me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yeah no, that's how we always made it. My favorite thing to do as a children was pop the can of biscuit mix against the counter.

Man. I really need to take some cooking classes. I really want to get better at just like, making stuff and not following a recipe I got online. It's kinda hard to justify spending a lot of time and effort to cook big tasty dishes when it's mostly just you who ever eats them. The majority of what I cook is "what has the most protein per gram" and if it tastes good sweet. Added bonus.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Oh yeah no, that's how we always made it. My favorite thing to do as a children was pop the can of biscuit mix against the counter.

Man. I really need to take some cooking classes. I really want to get better at just like, making stuff and not following a recipe I got online. It's kinda hard to justify spending a lot of time and effort to cook big tasty dishes when it's mostly just you who ever eats them. The majority of what I cook is "what has the most protein per gram" and if it tastes good sweet. Added bonus.

Hello let me tell you about entomophagy!

• Options
    I will eat bugs out of spite alone.

Fuck you, a ants. Bite my ankle? I'll grind up your entire family and use them as flour to make a nice nut bread.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I know I'm over a week late, but yeah, air fryer for chicken thighs is the way to go. At this point, if I have to cook them, they either get air fried or I'm doing some sort of dish that needs sliced up chicken. Granted, I only get them boneless and skinless.

Even without a seasoning, they come out great from the air fryer. I've found though that the best results are to make a marinade and let them sit in that for a few hours.

The other thing that I've managed to pull off with the air fryer, was making friend chicken using thighs, panko, seasoning that I put together (cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and ginger powder. I wanted fried chicken, but something different than I usually get) and egg wash to get the breading to stick. It came out great, got to say that an air fryer is amazing for getting the actual ginger flavor out of ginger powder.

Still experimenting with fries. Starting to wonder if it's possible to get them close to deep fried ones. I've found that it helps to through them in a container with olive oil and seasoning, then shake really well, let sit for a few minutes and shake again before adding them to the fryer. Also possible that I'm just not spacing them out far enough.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I made a couple pounds of fresh sausage tonight and will turn it into sausage gravy for tomorrow and monday

Can't wait!

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    So I have chicken thighs that I am wondering what to make. Trying to go Spring/Summer with it.

Was thinking of grinding some of them up and using that to make laarb. Haven't really utilized or used ground chicken thighs, I've mainly ground breasts.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Today I cooked one of my favorite dishes: lasagna.

DYLF5dg.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what exactly a "proper" or "correct" meat sauce recipe contains, but I make mine with onion, tomato, carrot, bell pepper, corn, kidney beans and garlic.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Update: I think I may have eaten too much tasty tasty lasagna.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Update: I think I may have eaten too much tasty tasty lasagna.

Nonsense. Such a quantity is merely theoretical.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So I have chicken thighs that I am wondering what to make. Trying to go Spring/Summer with it.

Was thinking of grinding some of them up and using that to make laarb. Haven't really utilized or used ground chicken thighs, I've mainly ground breasts.

Grilled and sliced with cold peanut noodles with super thinly sliced raw veggies (carrot, bean sprouts, scallion). Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and some chili oil. One of my absolute favorite dinners for a 90F evening.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Just cooked myself and my wife a Wagyu new york strip and roasted veggies. No pics because Wagyu or not, it looks like a steak and veggies. It tasted phenomenal though. I nailed the cook and wow, the Wagyu was rich and tender and melt in your mouth. We each had a 4oz portion and where I could have done with maybe another 2-3oz, a big steak would be too much.

Is it better than a 45 day dry aged New York Strip that is half the price? I'd say yes, but diminishing returns are strong. I'd probably just go for the dry aged if I want another fancy steak. Glad I tried it though and would love to go to Japan and try it at the source.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Oooh I just watched a Mythical Kitchen episode where they make Lomo Saltado, which I had never heard of and now I think I'm gonna make Lomo Saltado.

Shit looks 'licious.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Oooh I just watched a Mythical Kitchen episode where they make Lomo Saltado, which I had never heard of and now I think I'm gonna make Lomo Saltado.

Shit looks 'licious.

I recently discovered a Peruvian sandwich place not too far from us that is absolutely amazing. Their lomo saltado is extremely good - I was actually daydreaming about having it again yesterday.

Shit, I think I'm gonna have to swing by there either today or tomorrow.

• Options
    Man I was running out of time the other day so I just chopped up about 2lbs of chicken thighs and some red onion, covered that shit in Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, threw that shit into the pan, then seared that shit in Frank's Nashville Hot sauce. Made a "homemade" slaw out of bagged slaw mix, light Greek yogurt, a few squirts of mayo, some Dijon mustard and S&P.

I just had it wrapped up in a tortilla and hot damn this might be my new go to meal prep for a minute. I yearn for another.

• Options
    I bought all the ingredients for a lovely light pasta with asparagus and prosciutto. One of you nerds come make it into food for me, I'm busy sitting down.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Man I was running out of time the other day so I just chopped up about 2lbs of chicken thighs and some red onion, covered that shit in Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, threw that shit into the pan, then seared that shit in Frank's Nashville Hot sauce. Made a "homemade" slaw out of bagged slaw mix, light Greek yogurt, a few squirts of mayo, some Dijon mustard and S&P.

I just had it wrapped up in a tortilla and hot damn this might be my new go to meal prep for a minute. I yearn for another.

Spicy chicken and slaw is a hard combo to beat.

• Options
    uw769t0l4uo1.png

No idea why I keep you nerds around.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We're ideas people, jedoc

• Options
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    uw769t0l4uo1.png

No idea why I keep you nerds around.

To outrun in case of bears?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Three days until the next all clad factory seconds sale https://homeandcooksales.com/?cjevent=0c03833be88011ec80e900b30a82b824

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Going through some of my old emergency food and made up some vegetarian Shepard's Pie. God what a glorious pile of tasty mush. Spiced it up with some real cheese.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So I am not much of a loose leaf tea person but a friend of mine IS, and they are in sore need of MORE/DIFFERENT VARIETIESA, but I have no real clue what brands are good.

All I know is they really like a bunch of the stuff Kusmi Tea puts out.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I dunno if they're still operational in the States, but English Tea Store online had some really really good loose leaf options. I think it was an Earl Grey Cream that was my absolute favourite.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Accidentally got a dehydrater.

So I'm doing overnight Apple slices and some mandarin segments.

I legit love apple slices.

A month or two later, but do you make them to that point where texturally they resemble slightly toothsome marshmallows?

Because that's easily a top 10 food texture imho

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So I am not much of a loose leaf tea person but a friend of mine IS, and they are in sore need of MORE/DIFFERENT VARIETIESA, but I have no real clue what brands are good.

I like TeaSource quite a bit. Great online shop.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

August Tea has pretty good stuff, their blends taste like what they say they do and I've been surprised by some of the combinations that I enjoyed that I didn't expect to.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022

I'll shill for my local tea shop. https://www.mandalatea.com/

My wife is a huge loose leaf tea drinker and she swears by this company. Garrett is the guy who runs it and he travels all over the planet searching for tea. He's also helped me out with a few gifts for my wife too.

I'd email them a list of teas your friend likes and they'll hook you up.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think the most loved thing I've actually gotten my wife that's tea related is this stuff that dissolves tea stains

https://www.mandalatea.com/teaware/smart-soak-tea-stain-dissolver

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Used up the last of the homemade pasta sauce tonight for Spaghetti. Tis a sad day. It'll be a few months yet till I have fresh tomatoes to make more.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Wow, ok so I wanted breakfast burritoes, but I didn't have enough AP flour for tortillas. So I tried using pastry flour. Amazing. The tortillas were super easy to roll, and they had the strength and texture of storebought tortillas with the flavour of fresh homemade. I'd still use regular flour if I was making tacos, but this is absolutely the way for burrito tortillas.

• Options
    Smoked a pork butt tonight for some pulled pork. Turned out fantastic. Tonight's meal was tacos, tomorrow's will be Hawaiian plate lunch, then BBQ sandwiches on Tuesday.

k7adr3l5cg1e.jpg

• Options
    Finally made Lomo Saltado.

Dunno if I did it exactly right and I used pork loin instead of beef but hot onions, garlic, tomato, pork and potatoes is good shit.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @tynic or anybody else really

Do you think I could add some sumac into chocolate chip cookies and have it taste ok?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    hmmmmm

lemony chocolate chip cookies?

might be worth a try but I think I'd sprinkle it afterwards before adding it to a full batch

• Options
    Yeah that was my instinct? Maybe only mix it into like 4 cookies at the end.

But I need eggs still so might be an issue next time

• Options
    I don't think it would taste bad, but you might need to consider the flavour profile of the chocolate you use - if you use a variety with citrus notes (Madagascar chocolate is a good example), then the sumac would probably heighten this facet and bring that sour edge more to the fore.

I'm trying to think what sweet baking i might use sumac in, and an orange cake seems like it would work really well?

This discussion has been closed.