Options

The 117th United States [Congress]

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So I guess the insulin cap stays in unless republicans strip it out?

Trying to make sense of the overnight reporting

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I know it shouldn’t feel weird, but it really does feel weird when the Senate does their job.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So I guess the insulin cap stays in unless republicans strip it out?

Trying to make sense of the overnight reporting

Parliamentarian ruled it wasn't compatible with the rules, Democrats have left it out, GOP is going to raise a point of order to try to get it stripped out and I don't know enough Senate procedure to know how that gets resolved. Probably an asinine 60 vote majority to overrule the parliamentarian who is just some bureaucrat.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I think insulin is going to be next after a cynical Cruz amendment about not selling oil to China.
    EDIT: Nope, first we get a Bernie amendment to remove oil and gas leases from the bill. Schatz soul dies a little voting no.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    So next is an insulin amendment but a Republican one to do a different thing to try to muddy the waters after they attempt to strip out the cap.

• Options
    Currently vote to waive the budget rules on the $35 cap on private market insulin, think it's going to lose with less than 60. But the support of at least four Republicans: Kennedy, Cassidy, Murkowski, and Hawley (?!?!?!)

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Insulin cap actually gets 57 (Sullivan, Hyde-Smith, and I think Collins but I missed her vote) votes in favor, but needed 60. So the private market cap at $35 is out, only Medicare can enforce that price.

EDIT: Legit wonder if there's a similar deal that could get 60 and pass separately.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    If it’s that close it’s possible, but so many GOP senators would rather die than have Dems win anything.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Insulin cap actually gets 57 (Sullivan, Hyde-Smith, and I think Collins but I missed her vote) votes in favor, but needed 60. So the private market cap at $35 is out, only Medicare can enforce that price.

EDIT: Legit wonder if there's a similar deal that could get 60 and pass separately.

I'm skeptical. A bill with basically this exact text passed the House months ago, but only got 12 Republican votes.

Collins also has a different bill from a little over a month ago, that I believe does a little bit more, so is even iffier on if it would get Republican votes, but since it hasn't passed yet, I doubt it ever had them, and with them being pissant bitches over reconciliation, almost certainly won't have them now.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Bloomberg

MANCHIN indicates he won’t go along with any GOP amendments to the bill. “I’m protecting the integrity of the bill”

Manchin is also saying he doesn't give a shit what any GOP amendments are and is going to vote no on everything, sight unseen. Whitehouse (the RI Senator, not the White House) is also claiming it's a full caucus agreement.

They also apparently added an extra $35 billion revenue to it via changing some language in the book minimum tax that Republicans are currently throwing a shitfit about, saying that it targets small/medium businesses, but it looks like it was just changed to include subsidiaries, so it's just dumb screeching over closing a loophole. The tax still specifically only targets companies with >$1 billion in profit.

It seems like whatever deal Schumer struck with Manchin he actually likes and/or he just wants to get this shit over with. Either way is good though.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Some Sinema idiocy might lead to changes in the tax provisions. She may have fallen for the GOP's bellyaching over private equity because of fucking course she would.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Currently vote to waive the budget rules on the $35 cap on private market insulin, think it's going to lose with less than 60. But the support of at least four Republicans: Kennedy, Cassidy, Murkowski, and Hawley (?!?!?!)

Wait, both of my Senators are not being stupid about this?! Kennedy could be performative I suppose, but why? This is a fact that will haunt me for a long time.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Insulin prices have murdered so many people

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Insulin prices have murdered so many people

In the US….

jncnst9y0hzx.jpeg

• Options
    Some Sinema idiocy might lead to changes in the tax provisions. She may have fallen for the GOP's bellyaching over private equity because of fucking course she would.

The scuttle is exempting private equity from the 15% min corporate tax. John Thune proposed this amendment.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Wait, both of my Senators are not being stupid about this?! Kennedy could be performative I suppose, but why? This is a fact that will haunt me for a long time.

Probably knows someone with Type 1 diabetes that he personally cares about.

• Options

The scuttle is exempting private equity from the 15% min corporate tax. John Thune proposed this amendment.

The 15% Corporate Minimum tax is meant to be (and was negotiated by Secretary Yellen to be) a global minimum rate to prevent all the stupid shell games, Double Irish, &c. shenanigans. So of course that's what they'd try to undermine.

• Options
    I know my bias is showing but might Louisiana have high rates of diabetes

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I know my bias is showing but might Louisiana have high rates of diabetes

There has to be a study somewhere comparing diabetes to sweet tea consumption

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Sinema potentially working with Republicans to torpedo the entire deal by amending it to change the tax on rich people to a tax on poor people.

Fun.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

Sinema potentially working with Republicans to torpedo the entire deal by amending it to change the tax on rich people to a tax on poor people.

Fun.

I mean, you have to be rich enough to itemize for the SALT cap to mean anything. So poorer in a relative sense.

• Options
    /sigh

Now let’s see if the House can pass it

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    How do people like this exist? So willing to torpedo something and for what?

• Options
    /sigh

I think Warner has an amendment to cover the $35 billion Sinema just gave back to Blackrock/KKR/etc that should pass the House

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    How do people like this exist? So willing to torpedo something and for what?

Money and power.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    /sigh

The House has never been what I was worried about.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The last Amendment will be a "Manager's Amendment" by Schumer that restores the initial language minus whatever got struck, which is the real vote anyway and paying too close attention to vote-a-rama is basically staring into the political abyss. But just, sigh...

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    The Thune amendment passed 57-43. Cortez Masto, Hassan, Kelly, Ossoff, Rosen, Sinema, Warncok all voted for it (along with all Rs).

Dems are planning to amend the amendment to change it from targeting SALT to extend the limitation on the amount of losses a business can deduct instead.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Well an amendment to include dental, hearing and vision care under Medicare went down hard.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Well an amendment to include dental, hearing and vision care under Medicare went down hard.

Good. Now is not the time. Let’s get something done here, and we can try for that later.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's so cool that senators that ultimately won't vote for the bill get to weigh in on its amendments.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    kime wrote: »
    /sigh

The House has never been what I was worried about.

Prior to the Warner amendment, it looked like Sinema’s minimum corporate tax exemption was going to be paid for with a SALT change, which would have run into challenges with the Cali, NJ, and NY House delegations

Fortunately it’s moot now

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    IRA passes.

Edit: the senate to be clear

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

Fun.

But remember, dems get to nominate some judges!

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Astounding how thoroughly Congress has lost the ability to reflect the political desires of its subject population

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

Fun.

But remember, dems get to nominate some judges!

Yes. And also pass some version of this bill. Which literally wouldn't happen without her.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    It's so cool that senators that ultimately won't vote for the bill get to weigh in on its amendments.

Also claim credit and demand discretionary grants for their constituencies after it passes anyway.

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Astounding how thoroughly Congress has lost the ability to reflect the political desires of its subject population

Combination of of an overpowered filibuster and over-represented rural, right-wing population. :(

• Options
    Dems are probably going to finish this congressional term with about $3.5T of Biden’s initial agenda passed afterall

• Options
    edited August 2022

Combination of of an overpowered filibuster and over-represented rural, right-wing population. :(

Cant forget the class interests

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.