Options

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Origins was pretty bad, especially the combat. I would honestly never replay it.

Have a lot of good memories of Odd though, felt like the characters had actual personality and charm, aswell as the story and setting being more interesting. Cassandra had a lot of skills that were actually pretty cool and fun to use.

See, I played as a Hunter/Assassin, so I barely had to deal with the combat.

I also liked the bow system more than Odyssey, since I didn't 'run out' of whatever I was trying to do with the bow. If I had a short bow, I'd rapid fire until I ran out of ammo, not stamina. If I had a Predator bow, I could headshot as long as I had ammo, not stamina.

Though honesly I wouldn't replay either of them. 90+ hours is a LONG time to spend in a game, and there's others to play.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    We're never going to get another game where we play as a templar, are we?

Sigh.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I mean there’s more chance now than there was before, given their approach seemingly to be doing a variety of different games going forward

Bit disappointed as a greedy next gen haver that mirage isnt next gen exclusive, was hoping they’d use the smaller scale to push some of the visuals

Also no real hints as to any new like weapons, items, moves, gameplay etc was a bummer

Prohass on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Origins was good but it never "clicked" with me. I had a childhood fascination with ancient Egypt so that made it all the more disappointing.

I enjoyed Odyssey much more. The main character was more fun and enjoyable and the setting was more varied.

Valhalla is a slog. It's a grim game full of grim characters and I feel like I'm the bad guy throughout all of it.

But in all the games I eventually turned the combat down to easy-as-possible just to get through it faster. I don't enjoy the direction they took with the combat system.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Greedy

That’s the word

Greedy

My problem with Odyssey wasn’t that it wasn’t a good game. It was a great game. In my opinion, it was better than Origins.

But Ubisoft at some point became greedy. Not because of microtransactions or weird whatever helix bucks content. But with my time.

There was a time when Ubisoft made targeted narrative experiences that took a reasonable amount of time to fully complete. Everything before Unity took around 40 hours to 100% (except Rogue which took 30). Unity introduced that stupid coop garbage and that was the end of it. It was like they took the limiter off. Unity, Syndicate…80 hours plus. Good games, but come on.

And then they managed to do it a second time with Odyssey.

The reality is, Ubisoft designs (many of) their games around keeping you playing that one game forever. It’s not about microtransactions, it’s about expecting too much of my time and not giving me closure.

I fucking hate it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Going back to middle east, you bet your sweet ass you should cast Shohreh Aghdashloo

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I have liked every single AC game thus far. Even the “bad” ones were still enjoyable to me.

I actually really like Valhalla. I like a lot of the side activities. Being able to call a horde of Vikings and a longboat and go plundering is very well executed in my opinion.

I enjoy the RPG trilogy, but I’m definitely eager to get back to the roots and a more traditional AC experience.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I liked them all except Assassin’s Creed III.

I significantly dislike that one.

Still 100%ed it, though. Except I never played The Madness of King George DLC. Couldn’t bring myself to go back to the game once the DLC came out.

Drez on
  • Options
    New thread title for now

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I have liked every single AC game thus far. Even the “bad” ones were still enjoyable to me.

I actually really like Valhalla. I like a lot of the side activities. Being able to call a horde of Vikings and a longboat and go plundering is very well executed in my opinion.

I enjoy the RPG trilogy, but I’m definitely eager to get back to the roots and a more traditional AC experience.

Variety is always key, the problem comes with stagnation or thinking they can “platformise” the series, and just basically make giant content packs out of their games

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    AC 3 pissed me off with cutscene player character who was super weak and constantly getting like knocked out or captured, versus player playing him where you could literally kill the entire british army with a couple counters.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Greedy

That’s the word

Greedy

My problem with Odyssey wasn’t that it wasn’t a good game. It was a great game. In my opinion, it was better than Origins.

But Ubisoft at some point became greedy. Not because of microtransactions or weird whatever helix bucks content. But with my time.

There was a time when Ubisoft made targeted narrative experiences that took a reasonable amount of time to fully complete. Everything before Unity took around 40 hours to 100% (except Rogue which took 30). Unity introduced that stupid coop garbage and that was the end of it. It was like they took the limiter off. Unity, Syndicate…80 hours plus. Good games, but come on.

And then they managed to do it a second time with Odyssey.

The reality is, Ubisoft designs (many of) their games around keeping you playing that one game forever. It’s not about microtransactions, it’s about expecting too much of my time and not giving me closure.

I fucking hate it.

Yeah. The whole XP/equip shit made the games unfun grindfests that lost the snappy coolness of the early games. When your maxed out god-power flings you across the landscape and still can't one-hit some shitty guard because his level is just slightly too high (which will never change), wtf are you even doing.

The announcement of the new one "going back to basics" suggests to me that they'll drop that garbage, but...they probably won't, because xp modifier microtransactions

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    AC 3 pissed me off with cutscene player character who was super weak and constantly getting like knocked out or captured, versus player playing him where you could literally kill the entire british army with a couple counters.

Yeah, AC3 was absolutely the top of that problem. Our hero gets captured and held in prison for months for a silly payoff scene that was not at all worth completely disconnecting how the player and the story regarded said character.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    That is the vibe I get from AC. They are too damn big. I also don't like how these games will go right into the game. Give me a start menu. I hate that.

• Options
    I think it's that Ubi open world model. It got so bloated and just...filled with cruft. That whole thing needs a rework and severe downsizing. Not likely with AC INFINITY on the horizon though

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options

Yeah, AC3 was absolutely the top of that problem. Our hero gets captured and held in prison for months for a silly payoff scene that was not at all worth completely disconnecting how the player and the story regarded said character.

AC4 had it at points too and it was bad there too. Like I loved AC4 for the pirate parts, that shit was aces, I HAAATED AC4 for the AC parts, which felt like absolute garbage.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2022

AC4 had it at points too and it was bad there too. Like I loved AC4 for the pirate parts, that shit was aces, I HAAATED AC4 for the AC parts, which felt like absolute garbage.

AC4 was, on the other hand, the last good out-of-animus game. I loved that. Everything since that was just boring and generic, and often just dumb

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I would have to read a summary of the plot. The series is so bloated. No idea what is going on.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I think everything post Black Flag is the Layla stuff, which is a snorefest.

e: maybe that changed again in Valhalla? Haven't played that.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I get the impression Revelations wrapped up the first storyline. Then, something else happened.
    I will have to read up on it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I liked Odyssey well enough, but the implementation of some game mechanics really started to grate on me after a while. There's the aformentioned "assassinate might not actually assassinate" thing, but here's one that really grinded my gears. You're in a stronghold. You jump a guard who sees you, but you kill them quickly enough. That rose the bounty meter just high enough to trigger a bounty hunter. You could then stand on a rooftop and watch in the distance as a bounty hunter starts running like Sonic the Hedgehog across the field, making a beeline exactly to your location like a homing pigeon. How they knew that fast, I don't know, I guess psychic Twitter was invented in 400 BC.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

I don't think Layla showed up until ac origins right? There was rogue and unity, but I didn't play those so if they introduced layla then wow.

Valhalla had almost no future stuff for the majority of the game and then like way too much at the end.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I liked Odyssey well enough, but the implementation of some game mechanics really started to grate on me after a while. There's the aformentioned "assassinate might not actually assassinate" thing, but here's one that really grinded my gears. You're in a stronghold. You jump a guard who sees you, but you kill them quickly enough. That rose the bounty meter just high enough to trigger a bounty hunter. You could then stand on a rooftop and watch in the distance as a bounty hunter starts running like Sonic the Hedgehog across the field, making a beeline exactly to your location like a homing pigeon. How they knew that fast, I don't know, I guess psychic Twitter was invented in 400 BC.

This happens in so many games with an "aggro" system and it aggros god damn me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It is like the psychic guards in Elder Scrolls.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    el_vicio wrote: »

I don't think Layla showed up until ac origins right? There was rogue and unity, but I didn't play those so if they introduced layla then wow.

Valhalla had almost no future stuff for the majority of the game and then like way too much at the end.

True, I just looked at the wiki. I don't remember what was going on on in Unity outside of the animus

e: I think emblematic of the whole Ubi open world problem is that currently, there's a Ubi+ thing going on, play for free for a month - and I have zero desire to do so, because all of the Ubi games have the problems: bloat and mediocre writing. Far Cry 6 looks good visually, and I like the setting, but the tone is all over the place, and a lot of the writing gave me a headache (played a free weekend sometime). Same with the AC games, the things I loved in AC Odyssey were basically the least AC-y things. And it could have been a way more interesting game without the AC baggage

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Like I know game mechanic can employ a lot of what I guess you can call "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain". Especially if you're specifically looking behind the curtain. This was just so nakedly obvious.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It is like the psychic guards in Elder Scrolls.

Yes same problem. The "someone has committed a crime and now all of us instinctually know that."

Odyssey was real bad for it because sometimes you'd get like locked into a never ending aggro cycle. Like I swear I was in a fort where I killed 8+ bounty hunters because they kept fucking coming. Like the first thing in every area I unlocked was the whole bounty hunter tree because it was super easy to get them coming and again it went back on itself.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Like I know game mechanic can employ a lot of what I guess you can call "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain". Especially if you're specifically looking behind the curtain. This was just so nakedly obvious.

It almost felt like a (bad) try at the Mordor nemesis thing. Just like it had a coat of Witcher-3-paint in many respects

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options

I feel AC4 was much better. Edward's big fall is foreshadowed by him ignoring the advice of his first mate and crew over and over again and chasing something selfishly, leaving all his other goals behind. Then when he gets betrayed by the Oracle, he breaks his legs, so it makes sense you can't flip out and kill the people who capture you. The fact that he recovered from that injury at all in this time period speaks to his physical strength, and the "escaping prison" section was very important for seeing certain parts of the end of the era of piracy and exploring the theme of him moving on from pure selfishness.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    That it was foreshadowed didn't make it any less bad. Like I hate when your character is forced to hold the idiot ball.

I also never understood his stupid desire to go after the AC future bullshit when you build a literal pirate fleet of awesome and you could just lead that. But no you see I need this other fanciful dumb thing that might be worth something maybe!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That it was foreshadowed didn't make it any less bad. Like I hate when your character is forced to hold the idiot ball.

I also never understood his stupid desire to go after the AC future bullshit when you build a literal pirate fleet of awesome and you could just lead that. But no you see I need this other fanciful dumb thing that might be worth something maybe!

It's one of the few AC stories besides the first one where your character is given a noticeable character flaw and then that plays out thematically, so I do appreciate it for that. It also avoids the trap of "I'm not like the OTHER pirates, I'm just built different," where their world comes to a sad end but you're a super cool hero who could easily rule the world. Nah, your pirate lead is selfish and prone to distraction too, which is why Nassau doesn't work, they're all like that.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Crossing my fingers one of the gameplay elements of Hexe is having a piece of eden to do "witchcraft" with.

Could be pretty interesting. Not quite like the spear which gave its wielder's sort of enhanced strength and speed but mental stuff like actually manipulating people/controlling them briefly. Get guards to attack other guards (I know you could do with that darts and stuff in the past but all I can think of for now), etc, things like that.

Maybe explore the idea of how dangerously seductive having that sort of power is with the protagonist since the POE were originally made to enslave humans.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Hopefully Mirage and Hexe maintain some RPG elements. I like building characters and tackling missions my own way, but I could do without the whole "this sword does +1 damage" stuff.

They should definitely get rid of leveled enemies, though. Make it closer to something like Jedi: Fallen Order, where you can beat the strongest enemies from the start, it's just harder.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I just want a more linear mission structure, sure have some open space/countryside to explore but missions should be contained and in a set order, else the pacing and story takes a significant hit. Odyssey was fine as it was a case of following the trail across the islands, but Valhalla where you could do any one of 3 or more different beats in any order ended up really disjointed.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I just want a more linear mission structure, sure have some open space/countryside to explore but missions should be contained and in a set order, else the pacing and story takes a significant hit. Odyssey was fine as it was a case of following the trail across the islands, but Valhalla where you could do any one of 3 or more different beats in any order ended up really disjointed.

Never got around to Valhalla. I'm not really into vikings and nothing I heard post-release sounded compelling.

Maybe they should do a long-running protagonist like Ezio?

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I really wanted to like male Eivor but he sounds too honorable/heroic/poetic at times. Very proper. Something a little too "clean" about him that Alex and Cassandra didn't have.

Lady Eivor atleast tries to sound abit more rugged/badass.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Never got around to Valhalla. I'm not really into vikings and nothing I heard post-release sounded compelling.

The long running protag in those games is modern, like Desmond was.

• Options

Because the RPG era games are ridiculously strung out, you get probably as much, if not more, gametime with each of their leads compared to what Ezio got in three games.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Because the RPG era games are ridiculously strung out, you get probably as much, if not more, gametime with each of their leads compared to what Ezio got in three games.

Also the settings are in different countries and cultures.

As much as I liked Kassandra, playing her as a Viking would just feel weird.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Do the Odyssey and Valhalla season passes contain all of their respective games dlc?

Edit: story dlc. Don't particularly care about weapons and outfits

Carpy on