Options

[Star Trek]: Now Playing: Lower Decks S3 (Latest seasons of current shows in spoilers)

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    S1 E7: Dax

Everything about this episode was amazing and what I want out of Trek. My ONLY suspension of disbelief is that this bounty hunter is also a perfect trial attorney.

8/10 overall, definitely in the top ranking for the season so far.
    Was he a bounty hunter? I thought he was the son of the victim on his own personal crusade. He was probably prepped to make his case in court on his own planet, he was just forced into doing it sooner.

I liked Kira in that episode. She still doesn't know Dax too well, but these people are clearly on good terms with the Cardassians, so she's going to take every opportunity to make their lives difficult, and not bother to hide her glee at doing so.

You're right, he ended up being the Son of the ruling party, but still, it was very Tequilla Mockingbird up in there for a bit.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    S1 E7: Dax

Everything about this episode was amazing and what I want out of Trek. My ONLY suspension of disbelief is that this bounty hunter is also a perfect trial attorney.

8/10 overall, definitely in the top ranking for the season so far.

I can not wait for amateurhour to get to Duet

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    DS9 has a lot of the "season 1 syndrome" Trek has always had (SNW cheated by having it's season 1 on Discovery) but they do a great job of using weak episodes to establish characters. Unlike TNG it knew what it was building and wasn't just search/replacing leftover scripts without putting in any thought.

Duet, though, that's something else. Harris Yulin is an amazing actor and I can literally only remember him as this and the judge from Ghostbusters.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @Hevach you might want to spoiler that last bit, given the context of amateur seeing it for the first time

Edit: But yeah Duet is a masterpiece. As great as SNW’s season 1 was (and I’d argue it’s the strongest, on average, Season 1 in Trek), nothing hit the High of Duet, which is generally in the my list of top Trek episodes period.

It’s also the episode where, to me, DS9 comes into its own. I feel like most (not all) of the previous stories could fundamentally been told in TNG with some rewrites. I do not think Duet could have been. It’s like a statement of intent.

APODionysus on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    You're good on spoilers. Shit's been around forever and I'm not picky about it. This is the trek thread after all. edit: but thank you!

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    You're good on spoilers. Shit's been around forever and I'm not picky about it. This is the trek thread after all. edit: but thank you!

Oh I normally wouldn’t be worried about spoilers. Duet’s a special exception.

Edit bloody hell, now I want to watch Duet. Maybe after I get off work tonight

APODionysus on
  • Options
    episode 8: the passenger

decent filler episode, and I like the fact it acknowledged a security breach in the active memory of the station's computer, and it made sense.

kudos to the writers on this one. as always, Odo be Odo

• Options

decent filler episode, and I like the fact it acknowledged a security breach in the active memory of the station's computer, and it made sense.

Oh no.

I know what’s next

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Oh no.

I know what’s next
    It will be AMAZING.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I think it's only fair then that the next Trek thread is my 1000 word review of whatever the next episode is

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    New Lower Decks was very funny and, again, I liked that it leaned more into the humor of the specific characters and situations than callbacks to stuff from the IP.

I would really like the show to continue growing into "the Star Trek comedy" instead of "the comedy about Star Trek" because, if nothing else, I feel like #1 has a lot more shelf life.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    exocomp with a beak looks like a Skreek
    16gkld6xcqtq.png

... that is all

• Options
    I'd just like to remind everyone in this thread that
    this thread joked about Peanut Hamper having sex so we are partly to blame for what happened this episode.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My god this episode was amazing. About a 1/4 of the way through my wife was all "I recognize peanut hampers voice!" turns out it was Kether Donohue who after this episode I now see was perfectly cast in this role.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Donohue’s work in this episode was absolutely hilarious, and this episode instantly became my wife’s favorite installment of the series.

• Options
    Sneaks wrote: »
    Donohue’s work in this episode was absolutely hilarious, and this episode instantly became my wife’s favorite installment of the series.

Did you ever watch "You're the Worst"? She's amazing in it.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Oh no.

I know what’s next
    It will be AMAZING.

...holy shit.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    lol Kira

"I'm sure you Federation people find this all "fascinating", but I'm a Bajoran administrator. THIS IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR!"

amateurhour on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If you can't being trapped in an absurd escape room game because a third party cheated another third party in a game, you have no business being in space.

(I always credit them with at least having actual safety features. The makers of holodeck safety protocols could learn from them.)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    If you can't being trapped in an absurd escape room game because a third party cheated another third party in a game, you have no business being in space.

(I always credit them with at least having actual safety features. The makers of holodeck safety protocols could learn from them.)

Yeah, I will always have a little bit of love for this ep just for subverting that tired trope.
    "'If you die in the game, you die in real life'? No, that's stupid."

• Options
    just.... whew.

It's not as as bad as Africa Planet though, let's be honest.

STOP PUTTING PEOPLE INTO GAMES!

• Options
    "But people die in our games all the time."
    "Well that sounds like a YOU problem because that it horrible."

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    "Is only game, why you hef to be mad?"

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    zg755l1h4r1v.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I suppose from the alien's end they're just dumbfounded how a group of grown ass adults keep failing at the tutorial level.

• Options
    just.... whew.

It's not as as bad as Africa Planet though, let's be honest.

STOP PUTTING PEOPLE INTO GAMES!

Oh it’s hard to top that one. Code of Honor is both bad, stupid and incredibly horrifying racist. This is just stupid and bad.

Y’know… Escape Rooms weren’t a thing last time I watched that episode (it always gets hard skipped in my rewatches), but wow, yeah, it’s totally a proto-escape room.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    It's honestly surprising how many alien cultures just don't have a concept of 'informed consent', or even just 'consent'.
    I'm not sure how many plots could have been resolved in fifteen minutes if they had, but I'd bet it's at least in the double-digits.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    It's honestly surprising how many alien cultures just don't have a concept of 'informed consent', or even just 'consent'.
    I'm not sure how many plots could have been resolved in fifteen minutes if they had, but I'd bet it's at least in the double-digits.

But that would mean the writers would have to come up with something else to fill the remaining half hour, and they're on a deadline, so... go ahead and shove the idiot plot out the door so they can get started on next week's episode.

• Options
    Our own world barely has a concept of informed consent.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Betazoids definitely have no concept of consent and it's weird that everyone just accepts having their minds read. Just once I would have liked to see a background ensign with a tinfoil hat on.

Edit: and by background ensign I mean Picard whenever Lwaxana shows up.

Strikor on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Betazoids definitely have no concept of consent and it's weird that everyone just accepts having their minds read. Just once I would have liked to see a background ensign with a tinfoil hat on.

I think if you grew up in a culture where everybody could read your mind, that would absolutely affect your views on "consent". Especially depending on how said telepathy worked. Like is it an always on kind of thing that you can filter out, or do you have to flex a muscle and focus to turn it on? I'm sure that culture would probably develop social rules about deep probing, but basic surface level telepathy might be no different that looking at someone's face. That's kind of the nearest analogy I can think of, like imagine a race saying to you that you don't have consent to look at their face, because in their culture that's actually a thing where they don't look at one another's face.

This is one of those nerd topics that you could go real deep into the reeds thinking about, but also kind of hard to do since you literally have to imagine completely alien customs.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Deanna admonishes Lwaxana for reading minds fairly often. Wherever Betazoids draw the line, it seems to be below what Lwaxana does just to tease Picard.

• Options
    Yea, with telepathy being a thing, that species would just think differently than us.

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »

I think if you grew up in a culture where everybody could read your mind, that would absolutely affect your views on "consent". Especially depending on how said telepathy worked. Like is it an always on kind of thing that you can filter out, or do you have to flex a muscle and focus to turn it on? I'm sure that culture would probably develop social rules about deep probing, but basic surface level telepathy might be no different that looking at someone's face. That's kind of the nearest analogy I can think of, like imagine a race saying to you that you don't have consent to look at their face, because in their culture that's actually a thing where they don't look at one another's face.

This is one of those nerd topics that you could go real deep into the reeds thinking about, but also kind of hard to do since you literally have to imagine completely alien customs.

Or watch B5. They deal with the concept of consent w.r.t. telepathy quite a bit. :)

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Deanna admonishes Lwaxana for reading minds fairly often. Wherever Betazoids draw the line, it seems to be below what Lwaxana does just to tease Picard.

Though I'm also remembering... whatshisname, the guy who literally couldn't "turn it off". Though it was heavily implied he and people like him are special cases.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I RP a (full) Betazoid character with a good understanding of consent and boundaries relating to non-telepaths (they're serious about educating new cadets on all that stuff at the Academy, part of "respecting and working with other cultures"), but who is often frustrated by the limited bandwidth of plain speech, even face to face or on a viewscreen where you at least have expressions and gestures and other body language to go on. She has a tendency to ramble (like Lwaxana) and use All The Words to try to make up for all of that missing information and nuance that's effortlessly shared at home. "It's like trying to squeeze everything down a very thin straw."

(See also the normally entirely non-verbal characters from the framing story of TNG "Dark Page", and their struggles to communicate clearly by just talking.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Lower Decks:
    PEANUT HAMPER.

Honestly a fun episode that mostly struggles a little early because it's really just got peanut hamper and One Note Bird Folk to work with.

But it's still fun and satisfying as a botched first contact story/reintegration of a 'fallen' species (seriously someone in Star Trek writing is gonna follow up with those newly space faring birds).

Writing wise it's also really satisfying that all of Peanut Hamper's issues ultimately come from a lack of being willing to integrate into community. Whether it's her family, Starfleet or the birds. She wants to put herself above others and always feels owed without doing much exceptional herself.

Kinda fucked up they put her in the evil super computer division rather than like, therapy and a penal colony if she's supposed to be a sentient federation citizen.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Lower Decks:
    PEANUT HAMPER.

Honestly a fun episode that mostly struggles a little early because it's really just got peanut hamper and One Note Bird Folk to work with.

But it's still fun and satisfying as a botched first contact story/reintegration of a 'fallen' species (seriously someone in Star Trek writing is gonna follow up with those newly space faring birds).

Writing wise it's also really satisfying that all of Peanut Hamper's issues ultimately come from a lack of being willing to integrate into community. Whether it's her family, Starfleet or the birds. She wants to put herself above others and always feels owed without doing much exceptional herself.

Kinda fucked up they put her in the evil super computer division rather than like, therapy and a penal colony if she's supposed to be a sentient federation citizen.

I think the end was more....
    Just to have more Jeffery Combs. Which I am okay with.

Overall I found the episode okay. Not one of the better ones especially with some of the real strong ones this season.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Peanut Hamper is a duplicitious female from a highly advanced culture manipulating a handsome bird person.

Reminds me of someone.

maxresdefault.jpg

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Peanut Hamper is a duplicitious female from a highly advanced culture manipulating a handsome bird person.

Reminds me of someone.

maxresdefault.jpg
    The general tone of the episode till Actual Starfleet showed up had big Rick and Morty "lets make fun of this sci-fi trope" vibes

This discussion has been closed.