As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's the most narcissistic form of art?

124»

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Fine Arts - painting, sculpture, et cetera
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    anyway Anthony Fantano is a guy who thinks you can listen to music wrong so I dunno do with that information what you will I guess.

Has he said that?
    I've watched a decent amount of his videos and he's never said anything like that.

Also, if he has, what does he mean by that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPrNWuppMcc

I don't know if these were cameos made for CJ or if CJ sampled his videos but this is the video is comes up in. It's an hour and 40 minutes long and I don't remember where the relevant clips are, sorry, I promise I'm not being difficult.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Music
    Fine Arts can definitely be pretentious as hell and full of themselves, especially in relation to other art, but rarely do I see such artists go out on a stage in front of thousands of people and declare themselves peacemaker by just singing along together.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    anyway Anthony Fantano is a guy who thinks you can listen to music wrong so I dunno do with that information what you will I guess.

Has he said that?
    I've watched a decent amount of his videos and he's never said anything like that.

I don't know if these were cameos made for CJ or if CJ sampled his videos but this is the video is comes up in. It's an hour and 40 minutes long and I don't remember where the relevant clips are, sorry, I promise I'm not being difficult.

It's around 23 minutes in. If he didn't use it as a description of the idea of taste, I don't think there'd be much wrong with what he says.
    I do wonder if he's speaking purely as a reviewer there, that really isn't clear.

• Options
    je2 healthcareje2 healthcare Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Most artists I know are completely not full of themselves and needs to be actively bullied into admitting that they do something beautiful and/or worthwhile

Keep in mind, narcissism is not grandiosity. It doesn't require thinking you're the greatest in the class, just the belief that you're the only one in the class. Beating yourself up 24/7 still requires being self-obsessed. The crippling fear of making mistakes depends on the belief that your mistakes are somehow more catastrophic and meaningful than anyone else's. And keep in mind we're talking about art mistakes, not heart surgery.

je2 healthcare on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That sounds much more like it's going for the personality disorder than the guy who fell in love with his own reflection

Which like, fair

But I'm definitely talking about the latter here

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Theatre

Has he said that?

It's around 23 minutes in. If he didn't use it as a description of the idea of taste, I don't think there'd be much wrong with what he says.
    I do wonder if he's speaking purely as a reviewer there, that really isn't clear.

This really seems like it's a very specific reaction to some... things that aren't immediately clear from the little preamble.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Theatre
    I am saying theatre because of the existence of the one-person stage show and as a former theatre major I like to gently shit on an artform I no longer actively participate in.