Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do wonder which game will have an actual release first. Star Citizen or Escape from Tarkov.

Tarkov beyond a shadow of a doubt

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tarkov by a fucking mile

As long as money keeps coming in on Star Citizen for the latest CG render, they have no reason to stop, and then someday they'll just go "Game done" and consider it released regardless of what promises they made up to that point about how you would be able to live every facet of life within Star Citizen and every genre of game would be represented in some subsystem or another

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    EFT is far more playable and stable than Star Citizen however Star Citizen does have female player characters so it is a close run thing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Don't worry, the actual fate of Tarkov is that as the game that brought a subgenre into the mainstream, someone will absolutely Fortnite it

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Don't worry, the actual fate of Tarkov is that as the game that brought a subgenre into the mainstream, someone will absolutely Fortnite it

I actually would love if someone did this while finding a way to suppress the frankly scary gun culture surrounding Tarkov itself.

• Options
    A weird thing about Fortnite is that, despite the realistic styled guns, I've definitely seen kids that prefer it to other shooters because of the absolute lack of any graphical violence

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I had heard that Fate of Iberia's "endings" were kind of wonky, and I agree, but probably not in the way most people mean it:
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
    Yup, definitely reconquista'd. Nevermind that about half of the peninsula is still under the Umayyad cadet branches and the fact that I broke the Toledan rite from Rome, meaning the tiny Christian kingdoms above me are also hostile. Going for the Andalusian Inquisition+Reconquista achievements so... gonna have to clean that all up.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The level of grift going on with the Facebook metaverse bullshit has got to be unreal. Tens of billions of dollars year after year and all they've got is something that looks circa 2010

• Options
    They're dumping billions of dollars into creating Second Life

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I've started to play IMMORTALITY

and, question

how the fuck am I supposed to have a conversation about this game with anyone????

I feel as though I have seen things that some people might not a dozen hours in????

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

and, question

how the fuck am I supposed to have a conversation about this game with anyone????

I feel as though I have seen things that some people might not a dozen hours in????

It's... not easy! We danced around how to even talk about it with each other after hitting the credits because we STILL had wildly different experiences and were missing different pieces.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    does anyone even make single player first person shooters anymore? I guess some indie studios doing lower budget retro style games?
    Oh I guess valve made that VR half life 2 prequel

You can play DRG solo :)

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    They're dumping billions of dollars into creating Second Life
    A shitty Second Life.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

and, question

It's... not easy! We danced around how to even talk about it with each other after hitting the credits because we STILL had wildly different experiences and were missing different pieces.

Wait, was there an IMMORTALITY thread made?

Is it even worth looking at before I'm done playing this?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Tarkov by a fucking mile

As long as money keeps coming in on Star Citizen for the latest CG render, they have no reason to stop, and then someday they'll just go "Game done" and consider it released regardless of what promises they made up to that point about how you would be able to live every facet of life within Star Citizen and every genre of game would be represented in some subsystem or another

Tarkov is never going to release officially, because once they do then the bill comes due on their horrific netcode and servers. Can't be all "We're working to improve it until release" anymore.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Yeah, the other Immortality thread is here.

I'd recommend playing until "you're satisfied" before going near potential spoilers, though. I enjoyed the stories enough to 100% it (courtesy of a Steam guide that lists all the videos there are to see and how to see them), but felt like I had a pretty good grasp on what was going on quite a lot earlier.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

and, question

Yes, but it’s a tough thing to try to spoiler discussion on so caveat emptor on that.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Tarkov by a fucking mile

Tarkov is never going to release officially, because once they do then the bill comes due on their horrific netcode and servers. Can't be all "We're working to improve it until release" anymore.

Hmm, very good point. I'm still saying EFT because it exists as a much more complete game at present.

• Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    AlanF5 wrote: »
    I am specifically discounting the cods and whatever similar crap because the single player parts are at this point pretty ancillary to the real product (from the business side's point of view), the multiplayer

Ultrakill is a thing. Early Access, but also free demo on Steam?

Oh, and Void Bastards, if you wanna get a little weird and sprinkle some British snarky humor on it. I would not call it an RPG-shooter, though you do use resources gathered in each level to purchase upgrades to use in future levels.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    man I'd never even heard of that one

I checked to see if it's on the internet anywhere, found them on steam and apparently it was koham 2 that my friends and I played. I checked out some screenshots and it looks rough with those early 2000's 3d graphics but honestly 10 bucks for the nostalgia hit might be worth it.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I've got a friend who played through all of Wrath of the Righteous and I watched it sapped his will to live in real time. It's one of those games where I see someone saying "I'm gonna play this, I heard it's good!" and I start running in slow motion yelling "nooooooooooo"

Well guess who was about to start Pathfinder 2? (Will still play it, but I'm gonna give it a bit as I just finished up Persona 5, so I need something short in between those two.)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    There’s been a tonne of great indie and small team fps stuff lately, but it’s relatively quiet on big single player only shooters, but that’s changing. Stalker 2, atomic heart, and probably lots I’m forgetting. Most recently Halo Infinte, but it had multiplayer too. Doom Eternal was probably the last big AAA fps with a primary single player focus I think, though I’m probably forgetting loads, and ignoring the CODs

Prohass on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

and, question

My OP was made at the "we should probably make a separate thread" point of the game's popularity and requests that people spoiler tag to the best of their ability, but also with the understanding that the layers and mechanics present make it tricky. Folks behaved themselves but if you haven't finished it then its best use is if you get stuck.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Man when Escape From Tarkov eventually has an actual game in it it'll be so cool.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is Tarkov more popular than Hunt Showdown? I thought Hunt was the big name in that genre, but I might ve biased because I played that game a lot

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Tarkov to me has extreme chudly vibes have they had some sort of nazi punks fuck off moment or are they just kind of simmering in the scum

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Tarkov to me has extreme chudly vibes have they had some sort of nazi punks fuck off moment or are they just kind of simmering in the scum

Pretty sure the second. But don't hold me to it. The first could happen at any time. Their official twitch channel got banned because during a live stream one of the devs, one who is always dressed up in military game like cosplay gear and a face mask, mimed shooting himself in the head with one of the many (possibly real?) guns they wave around.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Pretty sure the second. But don't hold me to it. The first could happen at any time. Their official twitch channel got banned because during a live stream one of the devs, one who is always dressed up in military game like cosplay gear and a face mask, mimed shooting himself in the head with one of the many (possibly real?) guns they wave around.

Red flag red flag red flag

• Options
    CoolrekCoolrek Registered User regular

The company fired someone in like 2020 because an interview they gave in 2016 resurfaced where they gave just the worst justification for why you couldn't play as a women, does that count as anti chud? Last two questions in this interview
    https://wccftech.com/escape-tarkov-interview-truly-hardcore-first-person-shooter/
    It looks like a neat concept, but I think its going to end up staying in early access/beta too long and someone is going to release a more accessible version and eat their lunch. The new Call of Duty is already trying with one of the new modes from what I understand.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Tarkov devs are guys who like military hardware too much and aren’t putting women in the game so odds are they kinda suck.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh my god

• Options
    edited February 2023
    We trusted you!

Prohass on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    are we talking about good fpss in here? don't forget DUSK and Nightmare Reaper

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    That one really isn't that surprising to me? Like, even without the asset streaming in part, it seems like "zoom in and add speed blur" is the default way to make sprinting on a mount feel much faster without actually compressing travel time too much or making things too hard to control.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    It is the default way to LIE

The issue isn’t how they did it, it’s that they did it all. If your sprint button doesn’t actually improve your speed that’s dumb

Prohass on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Well yeah the Dragon Age games aren't fun to play

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I knew something was up with that fucking horse, I remember when I played DA:I at some point I referred to it as the world's slowest horse and resigned to just traveling on foot the entire time.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    It is the default way to LIE

The issue isn’t how they did it, it’s that they did it all. If your sprint button doesn’t actually improve your speed that’s dumb

Lying to players is a time honored tradition that often improves game feel significantly. Plenty of systems seem dumb when written out but improve the game in practice. If it's better for the game for the player to get a 5% speed boost while sprinting and use camera work to make it seem like you're going 50% faster, have at it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Folks sure like to argue about stuff I've noticed, what's the deal with that yall drink too much coffee or somethin how do you work yourself up to it

This discussion has been closed.