Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Folks sure like to argue about stuff I've noticed, what's the deal with that yall drink too much coffee or somethin how do you work yourself up to it

how dare you

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I never used mounts in DAI because they didn't feel meaningfully faster

I feel vindicated

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I bought a steam deck for reasons entirely unrelated to steam, but what games are good there?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The mounts were faster than on foot, but mounted sprinting didn't add any speed on top of that

Also if you're mounted your party members disappear and you don't get their banter

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I bought a steam deck for reasons entirely unrelated to steam, but what games are good there?

Have you considered playing every Yakuza game?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I knew something was up with that fucking horse, I remember when I played DA:I at some point I referred to it as the world's slowest horse and resigned to just traveling on foot the entire time.

Horse was still faster than running, it's just sprint on horse wasn't faster than non-sprint on horse.

John Epler has been giving a bunch of behind the scenes info yesterday/today

This one I also found really fun:

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    The Steam Deck calls out to the Gameboy nostalgia deep within me, but then I remember I'm old and can't read a HUD squished into a 7-inch screen. How does everyone handle the UI on this thing?

I play phone games, but basically only if they have a giant UI.

Justice on
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Folks sure like to argue about stuff I've noticed, what's the deal with that yall drink too much coffee or somethin how do you work yourself up to it

It's all those violent video games.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    There aren’t enough panther/big cat mounts in games

Ever since vanilla WoW with the Night elf I’ve wanted more

Shadow of Mordor mounts were cat like and awesome, but described I think as dogs in the game

All mounts should be able to do stealth kills

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Shadow of Mordor mounts were cat like and awesome, but described I think as dogs in the game

i wanna ride more giants insects and spiders

in general not just in games

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

My biggest playtimes on the Deck have come from Inscryption and Vampire Survivors. Basically games you can pick up, play for a short period and then put down again.

Since Firaxis released a new update Midnight Suns is good fun as you can get through a fight in ten minutes or so and the touchscreen works well for flicking through your cards and selecting targets, etc.

My son, who has a Deck and no PC, has played through Horizon: Zero Dawn, Lil' Gator Game, LEGO Star Wars Skywalker Saga, Portal and Portal 2 so far. He's only had it since just after Christmas.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »

i wanna ride more giants insects and spiders

in general not just in games

My goat with mining equipment and a lantern swinging off a stick was one of my favorite mounts in a game ever (Lord of the Rings Online, for my hobbit minstrel who I'd themed as a farmer). A big pig would be a rad mount too

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I really loved riding the giant hamsterball in Wildstar.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023

Unique item shop meets card battle game...with cats...with hats
    20230202 Ragamuffins: Feline Fencers (Indie Casual Simulation Strategy RPG Cats )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f5fPTFdv1M
    Welcome to the Club! Grab the wheel and play Trackmania® for FREE now.
    20230202 Trackmania (Racing eSports 3D Colorful Multiplayer PvP)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTm-JwtNWPQ
    Super Video Golf is a turn based 90s themed golf game, with up to 4 players locally or 4 computers online allowing a total of 16 players in a single game. Offline modes include a tutorial, CPU opponents, a driving range and a clubhouse with billiards games, such as pool and snooker.
    20230202 Super Video Golf (Sports 3D 4 Player Local Colorful Relaxing)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzEKOvPwgMY
    Nuclear war simulator is a detailed realistic simulation and visualization of large-scale nuclear conflicts with a focus on humanitarian consequences. It lets you design conflict scenarios and estimate the consequences using a population density map and realistic weapons effects.
    20230202 Nuclear War Simulator (Simulation Realistic Modern RTS Wargame)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmHWaryqA_c
    Deliver Us Mars is an atmospheric sci-fi adventure taking you on a suspense-fuelled, high-stakes mission to recover the ARK colony ships stolen by the mysterious Outward.
    20230202 Deliver Us Mars (Mars Story Rich Sci-fi Singleplayer Realistic)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZXK-XIyFg0
    Tails: The Backbone Preludes is a post-noir narrative adventure with branching choices. It is an intertwined series of vignettes about change, circumstance, and consequence. Guide four characters through formative moments in their lives in a dystopian Vancouver inhabited by anthropomorphic animals.
    20230202 Tails: The Backbone Preludes (Adventure Mystery Exploration Cinematic Noir)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gSjSK7xjw4
    Master your technique, execute flashy combos, and outsmart opponents across the world, frame-by-frame. Slow down the clock to fine-tune your fighting style in this innovative, turn-based combat simulator. Pulverize your friends and choreograph spectacular fight scenes. No training mode required.
    20230202 Your Only Move is Hustle (2D Fighter Turn-Based Strategy Action Strategy)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ouDnwBeG4
    PERISH is a stylish 1-4 player FPS with a cross to bear. Slay hordes of creatures on the black sands of Purgatory and sell their gold-stained corpses to craven priests. Kill magnificent bosses and use the proceeds to gain entrance to Elysium, a place of cosmic revelations.
    20230202 Perish (Gore Violent Action Indie Roguelite FP)

Brolo on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    image-10-1.png

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Unique item shop meets card battle game...with cats...with hats
    20230202 Ragamuffins: Feline Fencers (Indie Casual Simulation Strategy RPG Cats )

That was not the right image to choose to convince people to buy their game, when they had this sort of thing as an alternative:

ss_12005d08ec4e15cc425419eb64c571a03e6bdcd5.600x338.jpg?t=1670003777

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ha clever way to get around that frivolous copyright lawsuit, Y.O.M.I. Hustle.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Speaking of wargames: I've being playing some Second Front

The grognard summary is just "hey do you want singleplayer ASL? Go buy it,"

But for people whose brain filled that in as American Sign Language lemme elaborate: Second Front is a hex and counter digital wargame that uses rules ultimately derived from old school cardboard champ game Advanced Squad Leader. Notoriously complex and annoying to get ahold of due to it's niche nature and legacy rep.

In it you push around little squads, leaders and vehicles on a map the scale of 25m per hex and take pot shots at people. It's complicated but the computer doing a good amount of heavy lifting means you don't have to understand everything. You just have to understand the game's general flow and how stuff like firepower, advance movement and hauling squad weapons works.

If you're someone whose always looked at more involved wargames but finds the average Slitherine games presentation off putting or their UI unacceptable this is a good middle ground. The game even seems aimed at people like that as it locks off any scenarios that are too complex behind completing earlier ones. The first two german ones are literally one with just infantry and one with just infantry and a single machine gun on each side. Heck I'd call the farm house map an intentional "play this first," thing given it's only a platoon on each side and takes like half an hour to do with LOS set up for you to win if you stop and think for a second.

Here's said scenario after a first turn (I got super lucky generating a hero off my rifleman's morale check so yay me):
    73ghhyyfe4s5.png

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I wouldn't say that was exactly a frivolous lawsuit; Yomi is the name of a completely different turn based fighting game so a turn based fighting game explicitly using the title of "Yomi something" is in pretty murky territory. The rename manages to avoid the trademark issue and still basically be the same, so... seems like basically the ideal resolution.

E: Funnily enough, while searching into the history of this issue I actually found a post by somebody asking if YOMI Hustle was related to David Sirlin's Yomi, dated before the DMCA takedown/name change. The confusion was definitely plausible.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that was exactly a frivolous lawsuit; Yomi is the name of a completely different turn based fighting game so a turn based fighting game explicitly using the title of "Yomi something" is in pretty murky territory. The rename manages to avoid the trademark issue and still basically be the same, so... seems like basically the ideal resolution.

David Sirin's Yomi is not a turn based fighting game. It is a card game.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    As someone who thinks Yomi's a really cool card game and owns it both physically and digitally: Sirlin copywriting a Japanese word and then enforcing it like Yomi is some major brand is hilariously petty.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Yes, a card game with a (very dead) steam version that's explicitly described as a turn based fighting game, with organic confusion about the relationship between YOMI hustle and Yomi popping up on a very cursory search about this issue.

I don't think there's much point to Sirlin enforcing his trademark here because Yomi the card game is dead and dusted but as far as trademark shenanigans go this is a lot more into the "yeah that's actual infringement" than most frivolous cases.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say that was exactly a frivolous lawsuit; Yomi is the name of a completely different turn based fighting game so a turn based fighting game explicitly using the title of "Yomi something" is in pretty murky territory.

No, David Sirlin filed a copyright on a pre-existing fighting game community term. This is like Bethesda and suing anyone using "Scrolls" in their game title, only worse.

David Sirlin has made his career off making derivative works.

• Options

Yes, a card game explicitly described as a turn based fighting game, with organic confusion about the relationship between YOMI hustle and Yomi popping up on a very cursory search about this issue.

I don't think there's much point to Sirlin enforcing his trademark here because Yomi the card game is dead and dusted but as far as trademark shenanigans go this is a lot more into the "yeah that's actual infringement" than most frivolous cases.

He's enforcing it because he's launching Yomi 2. Unfortunately, most people don't know that, because he's chosen to primarily advertise by attacking indie games who have Yomi in the title. Yomi Hustle got attention because it was reaching popularity in the FGC, but Yomi Domini, a two year old adventure game that looks like this:

et8gpeflc2lx.png

was also targeted, and is now Omi Domini

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that was exactly a frivolous lawsuit; Yomi is the name of a completely different turn based fighting game so a turn based fighting game explicitly using the title of "Yomi something" is in pretty murky territory.

No, David Sirlin filed a copyright on a pre-existing fighting game community term. This is like Bethesda and suing anyone using "Scrolls" in their game title, only worse.

David Sirlin has made his career off making derivative works.

Trademark, not copyright. And trademarks exist on common words or phrases all the time. "Prey" is trademarked. "Oni" is trademarked. This is a very normal, non-frivolous trademark to exist.

I think the trademark enforcement here is stupid, because Yomi is pretty well dead, but people misunderstand trademark/copyright stuff constantly and calling this a frivolous suit when it's a justifiable-but-pathetic lawsuit is my moment of pedantry.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Also just on a personal level I think if you make a game called Chess 2 you don't get to go after indie game guys for using a word that you once used in a game name. On a spiritual level I think you forfeit that one.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    To be abundantly clear, I'm not saying that Sirlin is right to do this; I think he'll see no benefit from it and that it's kind of pathetic. I'm just pointing out that what's happening here is not really frivolous, but trademark working basically as intended: being able to have exclusive use of a common word/phrase/iconography in a specific context to avoid marketplace confusion. That doesn't become frivolous just because the trademarked property is currently so irrelevant there wasn't much damage if that happened to begin with.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Honestly Sirlin's work seems neat and cool and he really feels like he should have some dude slapping his hands every now and then like Kojima or Lucas.

• Options
    To be abundantly clear, I'm not saying that Sirlin is right to do this; I think he'll see no benefit from it and that it's kind of pathetic. I'm just pointing out that what's happening here is not really frivolous, but trademark working basically as intended: being able to have exclusive use of a common word/phrase/iconography in a specific context to avoid marketplace confusion, and that doesn't change even if the trademarked property is currently so irrelevant there wasn't much damage if that happened to begin with.

i mean the fact that no one knows he announced Yomi 2 is pretty explicit about him not getting benefit from it

he basically counterprogrammed himself with shitty lawsuits

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Honestly Sirlin's work seems neat and cool and he really feels like he should have some dude slapping his hands every now and then like Kojima or Lucas.

Or like, hire a PR guy and listen to him. His work is pretty consistently good quality from a gameplay perspective (can't speak to Chess 2, but Puzzle Strike is still my favorite Dominion-like), but he gets himself into these mini/moderate sized controversies at a massively outsized rate. Hell, I remember one time he managed to get Yu Gi Oh players to hate him for weighing in on, like, a dude lying about his sideboarding strategy to his opponent, which is not a situation he should be involved in!

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    To be abundantly clear, I'm not saying that Sirlin is right to do this; I think he'll see no benefit from it and that it's kind of pathetic. I'm just pointing out that what's happening here is not really frivolous, but trademark working basically as intended: being able to have exclusive use of a common word/phrase/iconography in a specific context to avoid marketplace confusion. That doesn't become frivolous just because the trademarked property is currently so irrelevant there wasn't much damage if that happened to begin with.

The facts on the ground do not particularly support the idea of marketplace confusion between his product and the others, these suits are actually pretty frivolous.

The bigger issue is actually why he was able to get a trademark issued on a commonly used term that he does not appear to have coined. A sufficiently determined group could probably get his trademark revoked by demonstrating that. It's happened before.

• Options

Or like, hire a PR guy and listen to him. His work is pretty consistently good quality from a gameplay perspective (can't speak to Chess 2, but Puzzle Strike is still my favorite Dominion-like), but he gets himself into these mini/moderate sized controversies at a massively outsized rate. Hell, I remember one time he managed to get Yu Gi Oh players to hate him for weighing in on, like, a dude lying about his sideboarding strategy to his opponent, which is not a situation he should be involved in!

Sirlin is literally brain poisoned to treat everything like a high stakes tournament match and then call you a scrub if you point out he's kinda acting like a dick.

It's a really weird thing for a game dev to have rather than like, some actual high end tournament player.

• Options
    technically you could make an argument that his old-ass blog is the originator of the term yomi as it is commonly used in the FGC but then we have to get into the discussion of david sirlin's relationship to orientalism by misinterpreting a japanese word for his own purposes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    anyway at least he's not fucking marn

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

The facts on the ground do not particularly support the idea of marketplace confusion between his product and the others, these suits are actually pretty frivolous.

The bigger issue is actually why he was able to get a trademark issued on a commonly used term that he does not appear to have coined. A sufficiently determined group could probably get his trademark revoked by demonstrating that. It's happened before.

I literally found a question asking whether YOMI hustle was related to Yomi in like, the second thread I saw about the game; some degree of marketplace confusion exists, mostly limited by the fact nobody knows about Yomi at this point.

As far as your second question, being a commonly used term that he didn't coin does not preclude a trademark from existing; again, "Prey" is trademarked.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Sirlin is literally brain poisoned to treat everything like a high stakes tournament match and then call you a scrub if you point out he's kinda acting like a dick.

It's a really weird thing for a game dev to have rather than like, some actual high end tournament player.

To be fair he did start as a high end tournament player (more or less) and writing about not being a scrub in the early-internet days where people would unironically complain about like, using a Hadouken or cancel combos did have some value at that point, but he became like an extremist/evangelist for it for some reason.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I finally gave Warframe a try since I had some free time and it's a free game.

Last night I got to the hub city on Venus. This city is called Fortuna, and I knew from the star map that the Valentine's Day quest was there. However, when I arrived in the city I got a cutscene that was not at all what I was expecting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTCq3LiZSE

I have questions.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I finally gave Warframe a try since I had some free time and it's a free game.

Last night I got to the hub city on Venus. This city is called Fortuna, and I knew from the star map that the Valentine's Day quest was there. However, when I arrived in the city I got a cutscene that was not at all what I was expecting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTCq3LiZSE

I have questions.

oh you got no idea

hope you like body horror, which is evergreen for warframe

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

To be fair he did start as a high end tournament player (more or less) and writing about not being a scrub in the early-internet days where people would unironically complain about like, using a Hadouken or cancel combos did have some value at that point, but he became like an extremist/evangelist for it for some reason.

The only moral way to win a fight in a fighting game is by chipping at your oponent with low punch until it perishes.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2023
    They like to do cool songs very occasionally.

It is unrelated to valentine's day, it always gives you that scene when you first visit fortuna.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.