Options

[Twitter] is proof that shitposting is praxis

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Why would the earth being flat make any person's pathetic tiny life any less insignificant

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I think like, space is an illusion or something? rotates around us, stuff like that

it doesn't have to make sense, it's crazy

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It's basically an excuse to make humanity less inconsequential to the history of the universe than it really is. Instead of us being a toenail's edge on the calendar of time, we'd be the main event.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Just always feels more like quote tweeting ancient tweets of vile people for dunks to reveal they have always been vile doesn't really seem like a great use of anyone's time. But I'm also increasingly uninterested in the "look at this dead rat" kind of tweet sharing. Unless the rat had an incredibly weird death, then maybe show me. But this is whole thing has been like shaking a mousetrap at me with a dead rat and telling me to be surprised.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    There's 7 billion humans and like 10 quintillion insects on this planet nobody is significant there's just degrees of narcissism.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Why would the earth being flat make any person's pathetic tiny life any less insignificant

Flat Earth theory is also tied up in geocentrism. The entire model demands that the sun and moon revolve around the earth. Or I suppose revolve wouldn't be the correct term but you get the idea. Also a lot of flat-earthers are hardcore fundamentalists. Somebody mentioned that Dan Olson talking to these people was told to "pray on it" when discussing a "failed" experiment. That's what it's really about.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    it's "about" in group/out group behaviour, it just stands out because the qualifying belief for the in group is so starkly opposed to what everyone else knows/the bare facts of reality

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    proxy_hue wrote: »
    the thing about lording the fact people are being hypocritical about something over them rather than actually engage with why their views are shitty is that you find yourself in positions like "actually, it is good for people to suffer indefinitely with with a slow burn terminal illness" for 45 likes from strangers

who is saying this

Everybody who is making fun of Mandel for pulling the plug on life support for her mom.

• Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    edit: y'know what, actually yeah, I don't care to talk about this

proxy_hue on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Can we at least try to make this thread about interesting/unique/important events and not a replacement level talking head with a dead mom.

Like if we're gonna make the whole thread just getting mad at current events at least make it fun, the thread was better and more informative when it was just a live Musk twitter feed since at least he's important and dead mom over here isn't.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Twitter's entire paradigm is making things seem more important than they are

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Magell wrote: »
    the thing about lording the fact people are being hypocritical about something over them rather than actually engage with why their views are shitty is that you find yourself in positions like "actually, it is good for people to suffer indefinitely with with a slow burn terminal illness" for 45 likes from strangers

who is saying this

Everybody who is making fun of Mandel for pulling the plug on life support for her mom.

seems like making fun of a "pro-life" advocate for not holding to that shitty standard when it's inconvenient for herself is not an endorsement of that standard.

Mandel's mom literally risked her own life to have her — and Mandel still saw fit to chastise her for being pro-choice.

Mandel wasn't at all wrong to end her mom's life given her "extreme" situation. It's too bad she's quick to ascribe expediency to the hard choices of others

even in the case that people have problems with a 16 year old euthanizing her mother, I think that's probably around the systemic issues of a child making that choice in an ableist world which devalues the lives of disabled and chronically ill people because their "quality of life" is not worth keeping them alive. not whatever strawman this is.

We went over this in a previous version of this thread or earlier in this one. When you make fun of somebody you disagree with for their choices you are also condemning people you agree with for making that choice. If you want to call her a hypocrite and explain that reasoning it's fine, but a lot of people don't want to be on life support and in pain when there is no real chance from recover and that was probably the right choice to make, although not one a fucking sixteen year old should be making. And if you're going to dunk on somebody it's got to at least be funny like the fact that Danzig replied to her with that remark.

Magell on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Paladin wrote: »
    Twitter's entire paradigm is making things seem more important than they are

Which is part of the major reason algorithmic social media is terrible and why this thread doesn't need to recreate the conflict-generating "for you" feed everybody says to avoid.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Can we at least try to make this thread about interesting/unique/important events and not a replacement level talking head with a dead mom.

Like if we're gonna make the whole thread just getting mad at current events at least make it fun, the thread was better and more informative when it was just a live Musk twitter feed since at least he's important and dead mom over here isn't.

It's a thread about Twitter, it's never really going to be a good time, is it?

• Options
    milski wrote: »

It's a thread about Twitter, it's never really going to be a good time, is it?

Well yeah, but my point was that we already had a decree to not just dump random shitty Elon takes and we've "solved" that by making the thread much worse on average.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

who is saying this

seems like making fun of a "pro-life" advocate for not holding to that shitty standard when it's inconvenient for herself is not an endorsement of that standard.

Mandel's mom literally risked her own life to have her — and Mandel still saw fit to chastise her for being pro-choice.

Mandel wasn't at all wrong to end her mom's life given her "extreme" situation. It's too bad she's quick to ascribe expediency to the hard choices of others

even in the case that people have problems with a 16 year old euthanizing her mother, I think that's probably around the systemic issues of a child making that choice in an ableist world which devalues the lives of disabled and chronically ill people because their "quality of life" is not worth keeping them alive. not whatever strawman this is.

We went over this in a previous version of this thread or earlier in this one. When you make fun of somebody you disagree with for their choices you are also condemning people you agree with for making that choice. If you want to call her a hypocrite and explain that reasoning it's fine, but a lot of people don't want to be on life support and in pain when there is no real chance from recover and that was probably the right choice to make, although not one a fucking sixteen year old should be making. And if you're going to dunk on somebody it's got to at least be funny like the fact that Danzig replied to her with that remark.

This is just grim and distasteful. Its not funny. Maybe she's a total shit but fucking what? Come on.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Solar wrote: »

who is saying this

This is just grim and distasteful. Its not funny. Maybe she's a total shit but fucking what? Come on.

It's funny because Danzig responded to her, and honestly he might be sincere about that. I'm honestly not sure.

Also his biggest song is called 'Mother.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPugn_05Qac

Magell on
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    learning how truly insignificant I really am was a huge weight off my shoulders, tbh

https://youtu.be/O-W2abxX8Hk

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I disagree that Danzig is funny, here.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2023

It's not the Earth being flat that is the actual crux of the belief for Flat Earthers.

It's that there is a Shadowy Cabal that is controlling everything behind the scenes for nefarious purposes, and one of the things they do is tell us that the Earth isn't flat.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Glenn is almost always funny, usually to his own chagrin.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's not the Earth being flat that is the actual crux of the belief for Flat Earthers.

It's that there is a Shadowy Cabal that is controlling everything behind the scenes for nefarious purposes, and one of the things they do is tell us that the Earth isn't flat.

Yeah Flat Earth is absolutely an anti-Semitic belief structure

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Learning that pretty much every conspiracy theory has its roots in anti-semitism made them a lot less fun to read up on and investigate as a weird thing I know a bunch about.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Learning that pretty much every conspiracy theory has its roots in anti-semitism made them a lot less fun to read up on and investigate as a weird thing I know a bunch about.

Which is too bad because flat earth in particular is a lot of fun. Just as a "how would this work" point of view.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Which is too bad because flat earth in particular is a lot of fun. Just as a "how would this work" point of view.

Flat Earth is the weirdest to me because I still don't understand what the point of lying that the Earth is round is doing for anybody, except for globe manufacturers.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Flat Earth is the weirdest to me because I still don't understand what the point of lying that the Earth is round is doing for anybody, except for globe manufacturers.

Conspiracy theories can offer purpose and a sense of clarity.

Also there's mental illness.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2023
    learning how truly insignificant I really am was a huge weight off my shoulders, tbh

I quite frequently think

edit: and that's bad, shouldn't have left the ocean

Echo on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Echo wrote: »

I quite frequently think

The older I get the more accepting I am of my own insignificant life and I love it.

Do I matter in the grand scheme of the cosmos? Absolutely not, so the least I can do is try to be nice and welcoming.

Unless you're a Nazi.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I quite frequently think

The older I get the more accepting I am of my own insignificant life and I love it.

Do I matter in the grand scheme of the cosmos? Absolutely not, so the least I can do is try to be nice and welcoming.

Unless your a Nazi.

I spent a fair amount of time training myself to not needlessly correct people’s grammar because it was a stupid, obnoxious habit I had picked up from working in copywriting and editing, so by god, I will not take the bait for a grammar nazi joke here.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Nothing I do matters, so I might as well do my best

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

look, globe sellers have a hard life

https://youtu.be/Fe2Uoi9Cx-E

if they want to start a worldwide anti-Semitic conspiracy to control the minds of humans and make their jobs a little easier, who can blame them?

• Options

What I was going to write before I draft'd myself was that my grandfather died in 2007, and my grandmother in 2019.

I've had the occasional gloomy thought about the concept of being remembered. Now there's my dad and my aunt, and in my generation a cousin and my sister (not a big family on that side).

How long are people remembered? And in the end, does it really matter? We three grandchildren will probably be the last ones with actual memories of our grandparents.

I'm generally fine with that. We have our handful of decades, we're hopefully remembered for another decade or two, and then we're gone. That's just life to me.

Unless you're this kind of person.

giphy.gif

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    come on, folks

v727bgi6vsp7.png

opyesb8pkklk.png

literally just put the barest effort into QCing this shit, I'm begging you

• Options
    I just can't get over how inane that modal is. "We verify that eight bucks changed hands!"

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Even the theories that didn't start out that way tend to get co-opted/infected by antisemitism e.g. the Illuminati.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

What I was going to write before I draft'd myself was that my grandfather died in 2007, and my grandmother in 2019.

I've had the occasional gloomy thought about the concept of being remembered. Now there's my dad and my aunt, and in my generation a cousin and my sister (not a big family on that side).

How long are people remembered? And in the end, does it really matter? We three grandchildren will probably be the last ones with actual memories of our grandparents.

I'm generally fine with that. We have our handful of decades, we're hopefully remembered for another decade or two, and then we're gone. That's just life to me.

giphy.gif

We are just going through the whole end of life stuff and I think I'm gonna do organ donation followed by cremation because why the hell do I need some headstone somewhere?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

giphy.gif

We are just going through the whole end of life stuff and I think I'm gonna do organ donation followed by cremation because why the hell do I need some headstone somewhere?

But your followers need a place to congregate to pray and burn offerings!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I've always heard your grave is for the living, sometimes people need a place to grieve your loss.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I've always heard your grave is for the living, sometimes people need a place to grieve your loss.

I've got high hopes of building a nice park bench (approximately seven feet long with none of that anti homeless people shit, so someone can sleep there) with a little plaque on it or something.

I also got some literature about donating my body to the local medical school. Let some idiot resident practice on me and maybe they learn something that prevents them from killing a patient later in their career.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'd be more into the ceremonial funerary shit if it didn't cost tens of thousands of dollars I'll likely never have

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.