Options

The Decline of Western [Twitter]ization

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    it's almost certainly to ensure that any twitter trend around "doge" is about the stunt rather than the lawsuit

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    The Atlantic comes in with an article that reminds me of what I said two or so Twitter threads back: there is going to be a core faction of American Liberalism* that is going to push against trans rights, and will do so steadily. It will begin like this, a kind of seeping in of doubts and vile poison about the legitimacy of Transgender rights, of transgender lives, in favor of the views of retrograde bigots who refuse to acknowledge trans folks being really who we say we are.

And of course, the author herself is a TERF with an axe to grind:
    The treatment of Hogwarts Legacy reflects my own experiences of writing about gender: being dismissed by people—including some in video-game circles—who don’t know very much about feminism but are very confident that feminists are doing it wrong. A few years ago, my voice was supposed to appear on a fictional radio show within the Ubisoft game Watch Dogs: Legion. But a controversy erupted online over my opposition to the use of the term TERF (along with Zionist) as a lazy slur, as well as columns I’d written about the challenges of gender self-identification in women’s prisons and elsewhere. The company promptly canned me. When one longtime freelance contributor to Rock Paper Shotgun protested in the comments of its news report that the site was presenting only one side of the controversy, the website promptly severed its relationship with him. If you wonder why all the video-game press seems to speak with one voice, well, there’s your explanation.

*Lewis, technically, is from the British set, but you can see outlets like the Atlantic being a vector for this strain of anti-Trans liberal politic through writers like her

Can't wait till the democrats start being terfy

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    The Atlantic comes in with an article that reminds me of what I said two or so Twitter threads back: there is going to be a core faction of American Liberalism* that is going to push against trans rights, and will do so steadily. It will begin like this, a kind of seeping in of doubts and vile poison about the legitimacy of Transgender rights, of transgender lives, in favor of the views of retrograde bigots who refuse to acknowledge trans folks being really who we say we are.

And of course, the author herself is a TERF with an axe to grind:
    The treatment of Hogwarts Legacy reflects my own experiences of writing about gender: being dismissed by people—including some in video-game circles—who don’t know very much about feminism but are very confident that feminists are doing it wrong. A few years ago, my voice was supposed to appear on a fictional radio show within the Ubisoft game Watch Dogs: Legion. But a controversy erupted online over my opposition to the use of the term TERF (along with Zionist) as a lazy slur, as well as columns I’d written about the challenges of gender self-identification in women’s prisons and elsewhere. The company promptly canned me. When one longtime freelance contributor to Rock Paper Shotgun protested in the comments of its news report that the site was presenting only one side of the controversy, the website promptly severed its relationship with him. If you wonder why all the video-game press seems to speak with one voice, well, there’s your explanation.

*Lewis, technically, is from the British set, but you can see outlets like the Atlantic being a vector for this strain of anti-Trans liberal politic through writers like her

Can't wait till the democrats start being terfy

The thing is that UK feminist circles are transphobic in a way that US feminists rejected in the Third Wave, which is why there is such a massive difference between the two, and why TERFs don't have the degree of institutional support in the US that they have in the UK, to the point that the US branch of the Guardian has publicly distanced themselves from their parent over the position.

Which is why you're seeing them pivot to freedom of speech arguments, which have always been the refuge of scoundrels, and have always played well with the Chait set, because it's something they've been so open minded about that their brains fell out a long time ago.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The doge icon change hit me with a full throated punch of second hand embarrassment that I shut it off before I even hit the timeline. First proper damage in my supposed claims I’ll stick around on the sinking ship for a laugh. What if someone not online sees a big stupid doge loading on my phone. Can’t live with that.

Gotta stop posting there or start hiding it from my offline friends and family like I do that one gamer webcomic forums I still post on in 2023.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Gotta stop posting there or start hiding it from my offline friends and family like I do that one gamer webcomic forums I still post on in 2023.

Which one?

• Options
    Whichever one was really mad about the lawyer when I was young. Should narrow it down

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Starmer is a rotten, tory piece of shit.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Which one?

First rule of Shameful Webcomic Forum is that you do not talk about Shameful Webcomic Forum.

Second rule is the only insult allowed is "Silly Geese."

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    The thing is that UK feminist circles are transphobic in a way that US feminists rejected in the Third Wave, which is why there is such a massive difference between the two, and why TERFs don't have the degree of institutional support in the US that they have in the UK, to the point that the US branch of the Guardian has publicly distanced themselves from their parent over the position.

Which is why you're seeing them pivot to freedom of speech arguments, which have always been the refuge of scoundrels, and have always played well with the Chait set, because it's something they've been so open minded about that their brains fell out a long time ago.

? There are a lot of states doing some pretty fucked up shit and I'm doubtful if even the democrats get elected in those states they'd repeal the legislation

Liberals don't stand for anything so they'll take the easy way out of rolling over

I'd call a political party making laws institutional support but that's just me

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Which one?

Questionable Content

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Which one?

Questionable Content

Doesn't have one anymore, Jeph decided he was done, everyone went to Discord/Reddit/etc.

(also not gamers, hipsters)

• Options
    Oh did questionable content go away?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

No, just the forums from that comic. The comic itself still updates normally.

• Options
    edited April 2023

The comic did not, just the forums.
    (Still technically up but read-only, for a few months now.)

On topic: people deciding social media is just too much/more hassle than they want to deal with.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    What’s questionable about it

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

? There are a lot of states doing some pretty fucked up shit and I'm doubtful if even the democrats get elected in those states they'd repeal the legislation

Liberals don't stand for anything so they'll take the easy way out of rolling over

I'd call a political party making laws institutional support but that's just me

In the UK, the nominal center-left is openly and blatantly transphobic, and there is a core thread of transphobia in UK feminism. That's not the case in the US, in large part because US feminism rejected the idea of a common female experience in the Third Wave with its embrace of intersectionality, which is why TERFs are persona non grata in US feminist circles. Yes, transgender people are under attack from a right wing political position that is looking for an "other" they can villify, but the UK position is that transphobia is the nominal position on both sides of the aisle. And I think it's telling that TERFs in the US make freedom of speech appeals (that is, they argue that they're obliged to get a seat at the table because anything else would be "censorship") in defense of their position, and not the biological essentialism you see in the UK.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    What’s questionable about it

If you read the comic the whole thing is questionable.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

He has a worse sense of humor than a 10 year old

• Options
    edited April 2023
    I wouldn’t hide if I posted on a QC forum. Long running sitcom comic is something I could explain without the last decade plus of context. Posting on a forum for a gamer webcomic I also don’t read does not offer such easy roads. Not made easier by the fact I also don’t really play video games

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I wouldn’t hide if I posted on a QC forum. Long running sitcom comic is something I could explain without the last decade plus of context. Posting on a forum for a gamer webcomic I also don’t read does not offer such easy roads. Not made easier by the fact I also don’t really play video games

All the world’s a game, and all the men and women merely gamers

• Options
    We all worried about the water wars too much to see the real threat of the rapidly developing gamer fuel shortage.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    How dare you call me a gamer what the fuck

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Posting is just free to play MMORPG

• Options
    We all worried about the water wars too much to see the real threat of the rapidly developing gamer fuel shortage.

Everytime I see a dude shilling gfuel like on twitch they have so many tubs of the shit I imagine its some avon level scam.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I know nothing about streaming and I will not learn but I would have had the blanket assumption you are required to sell gamerfuel on twitch.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I know nothing about streaming and I will not learn but I would have had the blanket assumption you are required to sell gamerfuel on twitch.

I think its moved into the space that Madrinas coffee used to occupy where its like a lot of streamers first "sponsor" that you absolutely are buying more product than you sell, but it makes you look like a big boy streamer because you get to claim they sponsor you.

That's a 100% assumption though based on my observations of the twitch twitchers.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

nah, streaming pays wayyy better than youtube

youtube is where sponsorships are basically required to make and sort of living

• Options
    I said I didn’t want to learn!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »

My main class is Dipshit

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    well, twitter has finally done enough to make me leave

i still have an account there for viewing stuff when needed, but otherwise i'm out

• Options
    I said I didn’t want to learn!

Too late strap gustav into the clockwork orange chair and bust out the slides.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

My main class is Dipshit

from Chicago?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I just assumed this was all a moderately thoroughly written BBS MUD

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I get to feel like a pioneer for leaving twitter a year again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Oh yeah? I never signed up and have never willingly seen a tweet.

Someone who doesn't have the internet is more pure than I am, but they also won't be able to gloat in here so I think I win.

• Options

My main class is Dipshit

from Chicago?

A Chicago Dipshit???

Nay, nay

(I have no idea what your reference is sorry if I ruined a joke)

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    well, twitter has finally done enough to make me leave

i still have an account there for viewing stuff when needed, but otherwise i'm out

I deleted when twitter board said they were accepting the buyout.

For the last 2/3 months, as the hockey trade deadline happened and now that it's 2 weeks left in the season, I miss my hot takes.

Still no account, but I've been looking up guys I used to follow multiple times per game to see how they talks about how bad our team is.

Hoping to give it up again as soon as we miss the playoffs, tho

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    I just say 'the forums', y'ain't gotta explain they aren't a freestanding entity. (I have --because I can't help but out myself-- but mostly in the context of, "Have you heard of PAX?" It's a *handwave* general interest thing!) And I come by nerd hyperfocus naturally, so my best beloveds aren't judging me to my face, at least.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    A duck! wrote: »

Oh yeah? I never signed up and have never willingly seen a tweet.

Someone who doesn't have the internet is more pure than I am, but they also won't be able to gloat in here so I think I win.

Damn you A duck. DAAAAAMNNNN YOUUUUUUUU

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.