Options

The 118th United States [Congress] Our long national nightmare comes to a beginning

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The stupid from House Republicans about how their job-shrinking (as scored by the CBO) bill is going to be good for the economy is making my brain leak out of my ears

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The stupid from House Republicans about how their job-shrinking (as scored by the CBO) bill is going to be good for the economy is making my brain leak out of my ears

You're a braver man than me, I can't see their shit and not feel my blood pressure rising.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Technically this bill would avoid destroying 100% of the economy! By destroying only 10% of it, we save 90%, meaning that this bill increases the size of our economy by infinity times!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There is a lot of "this austerity bill will totally solve the crisis that we created, pay no attention to the details, trust us"

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Whenever I listen to the Dems on the floor, I wonder "Why don't you go on TV and blast the same message you are saying on the floor over and over again?"

Like they do a good job of rhetoric and numbers. The mix of passion too. The moment they get onto a talk show or a press conference it is gone.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I fear the money men would see losing money now would be beneficial if it gets them Trump again after the econ nukes.

This isn't "the economy does a belly-flop and we buy up cheap stocks and get the GOP in office," it's "all global trade comes to a screeching halt and every government has to bootstrap a solution immediately while also holding a frankly absurd amount of now-worthless paper"

A default would make the 2008 crash look like Tuesday

I'm having trouble thinking of something that would be more globally devastating (edit: economically) short of literal nukes going off

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Yeah I fear the money men would see losing money now would be beneficial if it gets them Trump again after the econ nukes.

This isn't "the economy does a belly-flop and we buy up cheap stocks and get the GOP in office," it's "all global trade comes to a screeching halt and every government has to bootstrap a solution immediately while also holding a frankly absurd amount of now-worthless paper"

I'm having trouble thinking of something that would be more globally devastating (edit: economically) short of literal nukes going off

So you're telling me there's a chance...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

I feel in a situation like this Biden tells the treasury to ignore the debt limit. And let a judge who’s net worth is in the stock market put an injunction on that.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

So you're telling me there's a chance...

Not kidding, in the aftermath nukes probably go off

So, like

Maybe, but not for long

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    It does seem to me that the media has wised up at least a bit about the hostage taking, and McCarthy's inability to even get Republicans fully behind the lunatic plan certainly isn't doing him any favors. At least from what I'm seeing, McCarthy's having a very difficult time with his cries of this ackshally being Biden's fault getting any traction at all, even in the conservative sphere.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    It's absurd. Republicans have a 5 seat majority in one chamber and want to use it to take a hostage and pass a MAGA wishlist they clearly don't have a mandate for. The country is getting closer and closer to the brink of disaster because one man's desperate ego longs for a meaningless Speakership.

I would say this is idiotic if Republicans had a solid majority in both the House and Senate. At that point you just pass the budget you want anyway. The only reason we're here is because Republicans can't win the votes they need to do the things they want, so dirty tricks are all they have. The Republican Party is not a serious governing body and the only rational response to their continued antics is to put them in the stocks and throw rotten vegetables.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    "Oh but they'd never really do that, it's just talk, a negotiation thing..."

*cut to the Swivel-Eyed Loon Caucus eagerly lining up at, and getting in fights over who gets to press, The Button*

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

Maybe you need to work on strengthening your imagination. I can think of all sorts of things!

Meteor strike!
    Alien attack!
    Yellowstone Caldera!
    Deccan Traps!
    Gamma Ray Burst!
    Rogue Black Hole!
    Kessler Syndrom!
    Etc.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Whenever I listen to the Dems on the floor, I wonder "Why don't you go on TV and blast the same message you are saying on the floor over and over again?"

Like they do a good job of rhetoric and numbers. The mix of passion too. The moment they get onto a talk show or a press conference it is gone.

Often they don't get to choose the soundbite used by MSNBC or CNN or Headline news. That's left up to editors, producers, and execs running the shows, not the people doing the talking.

The Sunday DC shows are all owned by conservative billionaires and their networks, so inviting the Dems doesn't even enter the equation.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Put this in Republicans' favorite metaphor: a household budget. It's fuckin' stupid but what the fuck.

This isn't arguing that we should cut the $800/mo. we are spending on candles because our family is dying. This is the wife trying to pay the water, electric, mortgage bills -- late! -- and the husband saying "fuck you, I don't pay bills".

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Put this in Republicans' favorite metaphor: a household budget. It's fuckin' stupid but what the fuck.

This isn't arguing that we should cut the $800/mo. we are spending on candles because our family is dying. This is the wife trying to pay the water, electric, mortgage bills -- late! -- and the husband saying "fuck you, I don't pay bills".

We need to sign a contract guaranteeing no organic vegetables two years from now before we can agree to pay the electrical bill due this month.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I will drive myself nuts following this craziness. It’s already giving me acid reflux. Someone @ me when they vote, no matter the result.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Because he's really mad at how (he imagines) the butcher looks at her, and vice versa, and thinks that completely destroying the family's finances and reputation in the community is how to Teach Her A Lesson. :#

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Maybe you need to work on strengthening your imagination. I can think of all sorts of things!

Meteor strike!
    Alien attack!
    Yellowstone Caldera!
    Deccan Traps!
    Gamma Ray Burst!
    Rogue Black Hole!
    Kessler Syndrom!
    Etc.

I mean most of those are worse than nukes

I'll grant you Kessler Syndrome

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    One argument that just got put forward is "whatever happened to the Republican Party that had fiscal responsibility"

It's a fuckin' myth! Republicans have out-spended Democrats since I have been on this terrible rotating ball

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I was going to mention Bush Sr but looking it up I see his hand was forced by Dems who controlled the House and Senate to actually be fiscally responsible.

• Options
    They just passed this bullshit with 4 Republican Nays

1 Republican not voting and 2 Democrats

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I swear to God there are always two Dems that go missing and it's infuriating

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Is this where I shitpost about Speaker Cheney again

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I was going to mention Bush Sr but looking it up I see his hand was forced by Dems who controlled the House and Senate to actually be fiscally responsible.

Yes and no, he also knew that Reaganomics was hoodoo. I like to joke that the fire station at DCA should be named after Bush the Greater

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023

To be fair, the odds of some sort if medical emergency or whatever with 200 people are not exactly low.

It's one reason why these margins are so stupid

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    https://www.c-span.org/video/?527649-3/house-session-part-2&live

House is debating the Debt Ceiling.

Its going how you would expect.

I'm looking forward to this going as well as McCarthy's first Speakership bid and destroying any leverage he can pretend to have.

I'd feel better about this if a bunch of GOP's weren't already campaigning on "Biden crashed the economy and destroyed the dollar!" They might be planning to shoot the hostage just to cause chaos and hoping people blame Dems for it.

All it takes is every Democrat and 5 GOP Leadership to pass a clean bill. If this was a government shutdown, forget it, but this is asking whether or not dollars should be able to purchase goods and services. And folks with billions of dollars generally like them being worth something.

I would agree, and felt that the self interest of the greedy has always been a solid backstop to "Blow it up! Blow it all up to hurt the poors!" in the past, but, I worry that our new generation of greedy people is stupider than the previous ones.

I fear that the people those money men elected are definitely stupider and crazier then the previous ones. The Conservative movement is continually empowering people crazier then them and then realising those crazier people are now running the show. We're multiple inmates deep when it comes to who is running this asylum.

At this point business and finance people going "Hey guys, stop trying to destroy the economy" are talking into a hurricane.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

To be fair, the odds of some sort if medical emergency or whatever with 200 people are not exactly low.

It's one reason why these margins are so stupid

The two NVs were Watson-Coleman who had to leave DC for a family medical emergency, and Peters who I can't find anything about, but has apparently been out for the last week. Republicans did away with remote voting. They're party-line Dems.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the really stupid part is like... you've got the house majority. If you want this showdown you could just do it during the regular budget process. McCarthy et al are essentially threatening to shoot the hostage to preserve their ability to take hostages in the future

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    the really stupid part is like... you've got the house majority. If you want this showdown you could just do it during the regular budget process. McCarthy et al are essentially threatening to shoot the hostage to preserve their ability to take hostages in the future

Because they can't pass their agenda without the leverage of this stupid bullshit. Everyone hates it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Because they can't pass their agenda without the leverage of this stupid bullshit. Everyone hates it.

Even when they had both Chambers, the Presidency, and the Court all they could really manage to pass was tax cuts for the rich that they wrote in chicken scratch in the margins because they're incompetent.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Let them shoot the hostage. Ignore them and keep going. Honestly let SCOTUS rule on it.

Because unfortunately if we think it’s important the GOP will constantly threaten to destroy it to get something. That’s what they do. I think Biden should stonewall. Literally not engage. And the Senate don’t even bring this bill up for debate. Simply stonewall. No response no “getting them on the record.”

Just nothing.

Anything before the 11th hour is pointless anyways.

zepherin on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    "We don't negotiate on the debt ceiling" has so far been the White House and the Democratic party official position afaik.

The problem is there's a few folks like fucking Manchin who are negotiate with terrorists curious.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    "We don't negotiate on the debt ceiling" has so far been the White House and the Democratic party official position afaik.

The problem is there's a few folks like fucking Manchin who are negotiate with terrorists curious.
    True, but Schumer doesn’t even need to bring it to a vote.

We saw that enough from Mitch. Just give that bill a, oh cute and let it sit.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

What did you think was going to happen?

At worst he hollows it out and replaced it with a clean lift but keeps the name and number.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

What did you think was going to happen?

At worst he hollows it out and replaced it with a clean lift but keeps the name and number.

Honestly I didn’t know what was going to happen. I still don’t. This isn’t the worst congress from a historic standpoint, but they have weak leadership and are acting erratic.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular

It's been talked about before, a little bit, but can Biden just order the Treasury to keep paying the bills, regardless of what Congress wants to do? I'm sort of expecting him to do that, and dare the GOP to sue him for it.

The debt limit is a stupid artificial thing anyway.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    The problem is that uncertainty will still be there until something is ruled definitively. Which the supreme court could work out with something like an emergency decision but Biden couldn’t do by himself.

Its like if I’m paying the rent and send them a check with a note “please don’t cash until the due date, my wife and I are arguing whether to put money in the bank or not, she thinks we spend to much and should pay down our credit card instead of paying the rent, but hopefully the money will be there”.

For it to work Biden would have to order the treasury to pay debts, the republicans would need to sue, it would need to be ruled on and definitely decided, the supreme court would have to take the appeal and make a definite decision in pretty much a matter of days. Because otherwise the debt incurred in the time between the order being given and the supreme court ruling is like that rent check, it’s “maybe money”.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »

It's been talked about before, a little bit, but can Biden just order the Treasury to keep paying the bills, regardless of what Congress wants to do? I'm sort of expecting him to do that, and dare the GOP to sue him for it.

The debt limit is a stupid artificial thing anyway.

I think what is most likely is Biden just orders the Treasury to keep paying the bills, citing the 14th, the previous passed budget, and likely a bunch of other legal inside baseball and precedents.

The House will shop for a judge that will issue an injunction and the White House will have a judge rule in favor of the White House and not nuking the global economy.

Since it's split courts it'll go to SCOTUS who will do something akin to what they did in the Mifepristone case and punt it.

• Options
    If the ceiling isn't raised and it goes to Court we already nuked the global economy. Even if everyone agrees that we will still keep paying out in money that continues to be worth 100¢ on the $1 it would still constitute a technical default and risk premium that just never existed.

This discussion has been closed.