Options

This Nu [Gundam] thread isn't just for shows!

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

CHANT MY NAME!

ULTRAMAN… ZETT!!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Photographic evidence of the "progress".
    55p7vlfqx0y7.jpg

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Next step is I twist the battery wires to the LEDs, and then route those to the head and sword handle. After that I prime the Gundam, and trim and sculpt the cloak. . .

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    WHO WANTS THE BIG BOY

MODEROID stepping up with a kit of the Thunderjaw from the Horizon series

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Wew, payday order placed. Got a Gespenst, SD Tornado, Luluce and Durga I girl on the way (once Tornado arrives, anyway).

Just remembered I haven't shown my latest builds either. Might do that tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I missed picking up the Aerial Rebuild that Lanz linked to me in the anime thread, but Mecha Warehouse has Darilbalde, Guel's Dilanza, and clear bases in stock so I did the thing. They have a Mother's Day promo too which is kinda funny considering the series I keep picking up models from.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    WHO WANTS THE BIG BOY

that's neat, any idea how poseable it is?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WHO WANTS THE BIG BOY

that's neat, any idea how poseable it is?

Not sure, announcement just hit so probably be a bit till we get a better idea

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

so we gonna get more Ad Stella you think

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think I enjoy building the HGs way more than the MGs, all those extra joints and things are more repetitive than anything, and the HGs still look really good(and are smoother builds) -
    3lrf5vxjug7l.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I've still not been in a mood to build, as I'm still cleaning up lego and desk space and I've been doing a LOT of vidja gaming. I'm also still behind in G-witch again. All of this leads to me avoiding the thread for the last 100 posts or so.

That said? Today, the backlog grows. yet again. And after many, MANY years, I finally have something to use my Destiny wing effects on.

snNmaplh.jpg

2WQGtfWh.jpg

It's gonna be very, VERY lavendar.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Man, MG Unicorn is coming along nicely, and it's all transparent and white so I don't even have to worry about panel lining!

uxvwmlucf8dw.jpg

So I guess I'll go buy a kit and panel liners and such to panel line later!

• Options
    I’m trying to remember; Bandai seems to have two panel line pens that I know of

But it’s me of those things wound up basically eating through Athenor’s kits like nail polish remover does

Which one of them was that one and which is the one I’ve seen actually applied successfully to bare kit plastic

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I’m trying to remember; Bandai seems to have two panel line pens that I know of

But it’s me of those things wound up basically eating through Athenor’s kits like nail polish remover does

Which one of them was that one and which is the one I’ve seen actually applied successfully to bare kit plastic

The fine tips like in the post above are safe on plastic. Pour type and paint types are oil based paint and are bad on ABS and probably most paints. Real touch are mainly for weather effects but they are water based paint so should be plastic safe.

Edit: There is a brush type which is basically a bigger fine tip but you usually only see them in paint packs like this. And Sakura Micron pens will function like fine tips as well.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    The safe ones are product code GM01, GM02, and GM03. That's black, grey, and brown. They are actually pen-sized as well.

That's what R-dem has in the photos above. And the polymer erasers, which work perfectly to remove excess liner ink.

The ones you don't want are "pour-type". They are larger, sized more like a marker, and the caps are all black. The label has different coloring to match the ink color.

Renzo on
  • Options
    the pour-type pens are REALLY nice on the normal polystyrene pieces though, they make very smooth lines by capillary action through the grooves with only a couple smudges to clean where you put the pen tip down.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yup. Use pour types for solid armor pieces and fine points for any internal frame or ABS / soft plastic.

Or just use fine point for everything. It's perfectly fine, just takes longer.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    People have gone over it but any of the fine tip, real touch and brush type are safe on bare plastic. It's when you get into the gundam marker EX and other paint markers you'll have problems, they'll usually be the thickest ones.

Basically if it rattles when you shake it you can't use it on bare ABS. It's not the paint that destroys it, it's the solvent.

• Options
    Thanks y’all!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The pour type pen I have doesn't rattle FWIW

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    You can still hear the liquid sloshing around, though. That's how I know if a pen is dead or not.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    My FM/100 Aerial has arrived! AAA!

bMJNkrJl.jpeg

Also lol at that ad on the packing paper

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I've yet to see or purchase a full mechanics kit. Would you be willing to show off the contents?

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Athenor wrote: »
    I've yet to see or purchase a full mechanics kit. Would you be willing to show off the contents?

I'll do my best, I'm bad at cataloguing my build experience!

Here's the overview;

VlV3eBIl.jpeg

Box is the size of a small MG (like the Gundam Wing EW kits)

Frame is just 2.5 runners. Mostly very simple looking parts, but! Anything that is visible on the finished kit actually has a lot of detail on it.

o9f5wK2l.jpeg

A gorgeous small plated runner and some nice dark clear parts for the "shell units" as they're called, the energy lines that run under the glass panels over the Gundam.

vCLWk1Wl.jpeg

mvJZ3dEl.jpeg

If I've got one negative with it so far, it's that the eyes, while a separate part, are solid green rather than clear. Weird choice, IMO. Also, no part or sticker for the rear of the head. I guess Aerial doesn't have a rear head camera!? edit; I have discovered that one single green piece extends out the back of the head too - it's both cameras!

ipErvWQl.jpeg

Oh, also the one recycled runner, as is tradition - a pair of beam sabers from 2007! (And a very nice new effect for use with the gun. I believe this is meant to be a firing effect, as I don't think Aerial has a big crazy beam sword like this?)

2fgib3ql.jpeg

So yeah, that's about it! A Full Mechanics is just somewhere slightly above HG in terms of construction, with the idea being that once it's complete it shouldn't look too put of place next to an MG. A fun way I've seen it phrased is that they're the opposite of MGEX - a sort of MG Lite.

Forgot to get a pic, but it comes with regular stickers too, a whole sheet, about an MG's worth. Not gonna use em, cause stickers bleh. But I've found a nice set of waterslides on eBay that are UV reactive for some reason!

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options

Ultraman Decker Flash Type Figurise and everyone’s favorite fire pig!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

I'll do my best, I'm bad at cataloguing my build experience!

Here's the overview;

VlV3eBIl.jpeg

Box is the size of a small MG (like the Gundam Wing EW kits)

Frame is just 2.5 runners. Mostly very simple looking parts, but! Anything that is visible on the finished kit actually has a lot of detail on it.

o9f5wK2l.jpeg

A gorgeous small plated runner and some nice dark clear parts for the "shell units" as they're called, the energy lines that run under the glass panels over the Gundam.

vCLWk1Wl.jpeg

mvJZ3dEl.jpeg

If I've got one negative with it so far, it's that the eyes, while a separate part, are solid green rather than clear. Weird choice, IMO. Also, no part or sticker for the rear of the head. I guess Aerial doesn't have a rear head camera!? edit; I have discovered that one single green piece extends out the back of the head too - it's both cameras!

ipErvWQl.jpeg

Oh, also the one recycled runner, as is tradition - a pair of beam sabers from 2007! (And a very nice new effect for use with the gun. I believe this is meant to be a firing effect, as I don't think Aerial has a big crazy beam sword like this?)

2fgib3ql.jpeg

So yeah, that's about it! A Full Mechanics is just somewhere slightly above HG in terms of construction, with the idea being that once it's complete it shouldn't look too put of place next to an MG. A fun way I've seen it phrased is that they're the opposite of MGEX - a sort of MG Lite.

Forgot to get a pic, but it comes with regular stickers too, a whole sheet, about an MG's worth. Not gonna use em, cause stickers bleh. But I've found a nice set of waterslides on eBay that are UV reactive for some reason!

They don’t use it much in the show but yeah, the rifle is capable of generating a beam blade instead of just firing it

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    She's built! Still got the weapons to do, but I'm stopping here for the night.

Df1B9Sil.jpeg

The way the light reflects off the metallic bits, it's so pretty!

Construction wise, the vast majority of the nubs end up hidden. There's just a few annoying ones left visible that you've really gotta clean up - on the underside of the blue triangles on the chest, and on the round curved surfaces of the shoulders and side skirts. Those aside, it ends up looking clean with minimal work!

In terms of looking at the runners for clues to future variant kits; all the parts for the weaponry are sprinkled in amongst the armor parts, with no injection gates in between them. I think this is probably a one-off as far as Witch from Mercury FM/100 goes? Maybe the frame could be recycled for a Lfrith kit, but not much else...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Huh. For some reason I thought the FM line was pre-built frames.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

That was a pretty big disappointment when I got the Astray HiRes.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh I thought that line was metal kits. am i mixing it up with something or just making up a product line?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

That's the Metal Build line IRC

• Options
    Like CJ said, HiRM also features pre built inner frames with metal parts, where you still assemble the exterior armor.

The name Full Mechanics comes from it's origin as an Iron-Blooded Orphans line for No Grade 1/100 kits, and refers to "the mechanical detailing on these kits bring authentic details that cannot be fully realized in the anime" and while it was much lower detail than an MG, they all had full inner frames, so Full Mechanics!

Only 4 IBO kits released under the FM/100 name, and then it went dormant for a few years.

At the same time, Bandai had been releasing other non-MG 1/100 kits under the Reborn One-Hundred title, which from the wiki was meant to "work a compromise wherein mobile suits that were either too large (the Nightingale), too expensive (such as the Gundam "Gerbera"), or too obscure (the Gundam Mk-III) to be released in MG form will at least be released in the 1/100 scale but remain cost-effective"

For whatever reason, only Universal Century designs have been released under the RE/100 name. But as of 2020, the Full Mechanics name was revived for use on non-MG 1/100 kits from alternate settings. So as of right now, as far as I understand it, RE/100 and FM/100 are the same line, with a branding difference depending on whether it's from the main Gundam timeline or not.

Ironically the "Full Mechanics" thing doesn't make much sense anymore, since it's just an alternative name for RE/100 which notably do NOT have a full inner frame, only what's visible.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Naturally, the day after gunpla build night, new sets come in...

Thankfully I was able to resist, other than a stand for now.

PGQHhwth.jpg

ttlsXCCh.jpg

I also didn't post it, but last week they got in a big, chonky boi.

oS5cV3dh.jpg

Edit: I keep debating buying that catapult display..

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    @Dark Raven X dumb question: does the FM reproduce those cables/hoses that the Aerial has under the arms in the show and art, or are they left off like on the HG?

It’s a cool shoulder detail you don’t normally see on mobile suits, but it’s also I’m sure a pain to engineer at those price points and preserve articulation so I’m curious if the FM does it or if it’s a detail they’re working on/saving for an eventual MG release?

EDIT: one thing I hope an eventual MG does: being able to have the staves form the shield mode without having to have a piece for them to mount on, but can be transformed into supporting themselves accordingly.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    @Dark Raven X dumb question: does the FM reproduce those cables/hoses that the Aerial has under the arms in the show and art, or are they left off like on the HG?

It’s a cool shoulder detail you don’t normally see on mobile suits, but it’s also I’m sure a pain to engineer at those price points and preserve articulation so I’m curious if the FM does it or if it’s a detail they’re working on/saving for an eventual MG release?

EDIT: one thing I hope an eventual MG does: being able to have the staves form the shield mode without having to have a piece for them to mount on, but can be transformed into supporting themselves accordingly.

Nope, no cable detail! There's some mechanical looking stuff there, inside the shoulder armor, but not on the side of the chest it all connects to - that's blank / functional rather than pretty.

I imagine an eventual MG will have to do a crazy lighting gimmick, right? Maybe recycle the MGEX Unicorn style color shifting, but I think a crackly style flicker look would work too...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Went to an out-of-town hobby store today.

"Oh hey, they have Gunpla! Oh hey! They have Witch From Mercury! OH HEY! They have Aerial Rebuild!"

So now I have it.

• Options
    See, while I no longer feel like I'll find surprises when I go to a place like Target, I still feel I get a surprise when my store gets in cool stuff... and I haven't checked their socials to see what new has arrived.

That out of town hobby store didn't happen to be in central IL, was it? :D

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm kind of surprised we don't have a big gunpla store in the city. there's a couple of the big chain store out in the suburbs maybe that's just easier to pull from a wider range if you can get city people to come out and also the rest of the state in the opposite direction

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The hobby stores near me are almost exclusively tabletop and wargaming shops. If there are models, they're real world trains and military vehicles and such

The closest anime-related shop is about 40 minutes away and it's called Senpai's Corner, so,

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Y'all have hobby shops?????