As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Korok Torture Simulator is out!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Nobeard wrote: »
    So I got a special bow called the
    Dusk Bow
    and I want to know if I can ever get another one or if this is the only one ever.

That one respawns and it's super good, because it has a way bigger range than most bows (I think it's basically this and the Zonaite bow for Big Range), which makes it simplify the flying bosses in the Depths a lot.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The ending
    I think its very clear that at the end power wisdom and courage worked together to help Zelda and Im now positive the tri force aka sacred stones and Secret stones are related on some level.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    For gloom hands I recently helped my wife who started her playthrough yesterday and encountered them within an hour after leaving the temple of time. That is definitely not something a brand new player with 4 hearts and starter gear should be encountering.

After her quick and painful death I used ultrahand to make a pile of 8 bombs and left it on the floor in between Link and the hands, then set them off with a fire fruit when they were passing over it, instantly killing the group. The battle after was something else since she only had 6-8 power weapons, but she now has a gloom sword that can probably kill her if she misuses it!

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    If hands get too close throw down dazzle fruit to stun them so you can get some distance for bomb arrows. If low on bombs area effect with elemental chu jellies are another option. I might mess around with magic want attacks as well, you can freeze hands and ice rods has a large area of effect if you use the R button throw. Link does an alternate wand attack instead of throwing rods. But hands don't stay frozen as long, still could be an option to follow up with other arrow attacks if you're hurting for bomb flowers.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The ending
    I think its very clear that at the end power wisdom and courage worked together to help Zelda and Im now positive the tri force aka sacred stones and Secret stones are related on some level.
    This isn’t true, but with all the references and the past clearly being a remix of OoT I feel like this world was someone’s wish on the Triforce. The Triforce isn’t anywhere physical here, but it’s also all over it.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    The ending
    This isn’t true, but with all the references and the past clearly being a remix of OoT I feel like this world was someone’s wish on the Triforce. The Triforce isn’t anywhere physical here, but it’s also all over it.
    I feel like the Triforce is here. In the scene where Zelda is regenerating the Master Sword and wishing for Link to save everyone while her spirit is within the dragon form, you can see the back of her right hand shining in a pretty familiar way. I feel like she does indeed have the Triforce of Wisdom, but nobody knows what the Triforce is in this era.

I no longer believe that BOTW/TOTK is a far-future sequel to Wind Waker, but that setting would kinda fit if all of the past of the original Hyrule, including the Triforce, was forgotten.

Enlong on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    The ending
    I feel like the Triforce is here. In the scene where Zelda is regenerating the Master Sword and wishing for Link to save everyone while her spirit is within the dragon form, you can see the back of her right hand shining in a pretty familiar way. I feel like she does indeed have the Triforce of Wisdom, but nobody knows what the Triforce is in this era.

I no longer believe that BOTW/TOTK is a far-future sequel to Wind Waker, but that setting would kinda fit if all of the past of the original Hyrule, including the Triforce, was forgotten.
    I don't get into the shared timeline thing, but:

The dragon's names are twists on the goddesses from OoT (and other games? I don't know)

Din (Dinraal), Farore (Farosh), and Nayru (Naydra)

Maybe there's something to that.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    The ending

The dragon's names are twists on the goddesses from OoT (and other games? I don't know)

Something interesting, they're apparently not named that way in Japanese.
    Dinraal is Orudora there, named after the Orudin Mountains (Eldin for us). But Din the goddess was still Din in Japan. The other dragons are Furodora and Nerudora, which would correspondingly relate to Faron Woods and Lanayru.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The ending

Something interesting, they're apparently not named that way in Japanese.
    Dinraal is Orudora there, named after the Orudin Mountains (Eldin for us). But Din the goddess was still Din in Japan. The other dragons are Furodora and Nerudora, which would correspondingly relate to Faron Woods and Lanayru.
    Of note: we've had characters and regions vaguely named for the goddesses since Twilight Princess.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword had the Eldin, Lanayru, and Faron regions (plus Ordon in Twilight Princess, but that's its own thing). Twilight Princess had the Light Spirits named the same as the regions, and Skyward Sword had the three dragons named the same as the regions.

So the dragons in BOTW/TOTK also being somewhat named for the regions fits the convention we've seen. Moreso in japanese apparently.

Which does suggest that the names are remembered, but little else.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The ending

It does tie nicely into the "the games are all mutually non-canonical retellings of legends" theory. The dragons became goddesses. Rauru lost all context except him being some sort of sage, and maybe something about the sky. Each tribe had a sage, except the Rito were forgotten and replaced by the Koroks instead, and the real forms of the Koroks were forgotten as well. The tribes also had some kind of stones that were clearly somehow important. There was also time travel involved, somehow? Something about the Master Sword needing to move forward in time before Link could use it. Some guy named Ganondorf was definitely there, though, and he was definitely an asshole.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I do like how TotK brought back the common convention of having
    two worlds or dimensions or modes of experiencing the world. Light and Dark Worlds, Past and Future, Hyrule and Lorule, Human and Wolf, Land and Sky. Only this time it's the Overworld and the Depths.

• Options
    I am not at the conclusion of any major checklists yet, so I don't know the actual answer for these things, but this is some of the stuff I want to see and will likely be disappointed on.

- somewhere tucked away, Addison should have a "final boss" sign, some insane monstrosity that there's no way he could be holding up, that takes a ton of effort to properly support.

- when you find his last location and help him for the last time, he should retreat to Tarrey Town to let Bolson know that he's finished, and Bolson should say "what? I never asked for that. Truth be told those things are eyesores, can you go take them down?"

- I want to fight some final revenge of the bubbulfrog, who is basically a big luminous frox.

- finishing finding all the wells should unlock your very own well under the house you can build.

- somewhere under the overworld but above the underworld, there should be an insanely hidden room. You have to fly to a specific point in the depths, miles away from any other landmarks up near the ceiling and ascend through it. A developer room or something which dataminers will find.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The one thing that I strongly dislike about this game is how fiddly the camera is at tagging things, especially smaller things like bugs. Was it this bad in BotW? I don't remember it being this bad.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    The one thing that I strongly dislike about this game is how fiddly the camera is at tagging things, especially smaller things like bugs. Was it this bad in BotW? I don't remember it being this bad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tearsofthekingdom/comments/140d9ef/hes_been_here_for_5_minutes_and_hes_already_the/

• Options
    KeitreKeitre Registered User regular

I noticed this as well. At least once a play session I think to myself, "It wasn't nearly this bad in BOTW, was it?"

It's pretty dang bad. There are times I can't even take shots of things just lying flat in the open next to me.

• Options
    Unlocked the fourth dungeon (Gerudo).

The regional quests have been an interesting variety, I found.
    The Rito quest was definitely more about trying to find your way through the wilderness, since you didn't have much direction for Tulin's location other than the cave. Then getting to the Wind Temple was a neat bit of exploration through the sky.

The Zora quest was more about riddles; you had to search around for characters, items, and locations only hinted at, and figure out how to make the path to the temple appear.

The Goron quest was... honestly pretty straightforward. After pacifying Yunobo, it was largely a straight shot to the top of Death Mountain, but climbing in mine carts was neat.

And the Gerudo quest was definitely more combat oriented, with the two defense missions against Gibdo hordes. Did also have a bit of riddle solving, but not as much as the Zora.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Does the game not give you anything for getting all the lightroots?
    I've uncovered the entire depths on the map, no empty spots left to see.
    I expected something to acknowledge that. Not a super weapon or anything (I get how this works), but this game usually gives you something. A tasteless hat, a golden poop, something.

If I'm missing one, I don't know how I'll find it without a map to compare it to.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    klemming wrote: »
    I expected something to acknowledge that. Not a super weapon or anything (I get how this works), but this game usually gives you something. A tasteless hat, a golden poop, something.

If I'm missing one, I don't know how I'll find it without a map to compare it to.

Honestly I don't expect a reward because nobody tasks you with doing it, and there's no associated NPC to receive gratitude from. But also, you could be missing a couple, because some leave insanely tiny dark spots. I had to look at my map really closely to notice some of them (not done yet). I would get all shrines and then toggle the map to check overworld and underworld to make sure they all match up.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Is there something in missing about sneakstriking?
    I'm trying to sneak up on some soldier bots but half the time they seem to just turn 180 when I approach melee range and see me for no reason.

• Options
    Unlocked the fourth dungeon (Gerudo).

The regional quests have been an interesting variety, I found.
    The Rito quest was definitely more about trying to find your way through the wilderness, since you didn't have much direction for Tulin's location other than the cave. Then getting to the Wind Temple was a neat bit of exploration through the sky.

The Zora quest was more about riddles; you had to search around for characters, items, and locations only hinted at, and figure out how to make the path to the temple appear.

The Goron quest was... honestly pretty straightforward. After pacifying Yunobo, it was largely a straight shot to the top of Death Mountain, but climbing in mine carts was neat.

And the Gerudo quest was definitely more combat oriented, with the two defense missions against Gibdo hordes. Did also have a bit of riddle solving, but not as much as the Zora.
    d3rEOXW.png

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    I'm trying to sneak up on some soldier bots but half the time they seem to just turn 180 when I approach melee range and see me for no reason.
    How fast are you moving?
    Honestly I don't expect a reward because nobody tasks you with doing it, and there's no associated NPC to receive gratitude from. But also, you could be missing a couple, because some leave insanely tiny dark spots. I had to look at my map really closely to notice some of them (not done yet). I would get all shrines and then toggle the map to check overworld and underworld to make sure they all match up.
    I'm not looking for a reward, but you tend to at least get an acknowledgement that you've done All The Things in this category.

• Options
    edited June 2023

For one thing, you can't just be crouchwalking full speed, you can still be heard doing that. Are you pushing the thumbstick like 30% forward to walk really slowly? Have you tried wearing some upgraded sneak armor?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, when you are sneaking, if you can hear your own footsteps over the background noise, so can they.
    Grab some stealth armour and/or sneaky juice first.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought maybe the sound meter was factoring into it, after I posted this.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Having even just one level of sneak buff (from armor or food) makes it dramatically more consistent and less fiddly, in my experience.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    I'm still in the starting area, so I don't think there are any sneak buffs here.

• Options
    There's a tutorial shrine that exists mostly to teach you that yes, sneaking up on a robot is basically impossible under normal conditions.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I'm not looking for a reward, but you tend to at least get an acknowledgement that you've done All The Things in this category.
    There is a reward, so you must have missed something.
    The reward is:
    a Dispelling Darkness Medal.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    There is a reward, so you must have missed something.
    The reward is:
    a Dispelling Darkness Medal.
    And it indirectly helps you find surface shrines.
    Because of the relation between the two the topology of the depths means the lightroots help a lot when you need to find shrines hidden in caves in addition to just pointing out where a hidden shrine might be if it's quest related on the surface. Knowing for sure that you 100% mapped out the depths helps narrow things down.
    I finally finished getting all the shrines today. The reward for that is something else (reward spoilers follow)
    It also makes the murals from BotW and TotK depicting the ancient hero with red hair make perfect sense. With the hair and decoration on his forehead I wonder if they had some Gerudo blood in them.

I looked up the upgrade requirements for that and they are silly. I think I'm going to dig up a Pristine Royal Guard's Claymore and abuse its bonus + the Radiant set bonus to speed up Lynel farming if I ever get around to it.
    But now I'm gonna take it slow with the rest of what I want to do with TotK. There's a new Splatoon season and a Big Run this weekend so I need to de-rust.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    There's a tutorial shrine that exists mostly to teach you that yes, sneaking up on a robot is basically impossible under normal conditions.

It works fine now.
    Just have to watch my footstep monitor when I get close to their robutts.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023

There are 120 lightroots

You get a medal in the “star” menu that acknowledges the achievement

Every lightroot has a corresponding shrine on the same spot in the overworld (there are 120 ground shrines, and 32 sky shrines)

Easy lightroots to miss, generally isolated or harder to reach from underground (may require finding a chasm)
    -all 3 labyrinths have a shrine or lightroot at all 3 map levels
    -under Rito Village
    -under zora’s Domain
    -under Tarrey Town
    -under Eventide Island
    -under spiral peninsula
    -under lake hylia
    -under hyrule castle

If you got all those and are missing a few, check your map again. The “fog of war” for areas where you don’t have lightroot coverage is slightly lighter than the dark black used for impassable walls, and is usually more uniform at the edge.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Why do so many fuse materials turn 2-handed blades into extremely short swords? I just fused a Thunder gleeok horn to a claymore and now the business end is the size of an apple.

I wouldn’t be so annoyed except you can’t detach materials without destroying them.

It kinda makes me want to ignore 2-handed blades in favor of spears. Those keep their range no matter what.

Edit:

Oh wait. The Thunder horn basically made it a lightsaber. You get a sword of lightning when you swing.

Enlong on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t be so annoyed except you can’t detach materials without destroying them.
    Tarrey Town.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Why do so many fuse materials turn 2-handed blades into extremely short swords? I just fused a Thunder gleeok horn to a claymore and now the business end is the size of an apple.

It kinda makes me want to ignore 2-handed blades in favor of spears. Those keep their range no matter what.

Edit:

Oh wait. The Thunder horn basically made it a lightsaber. You get a sword of lightning when you swing.

Yep, all the Gleeok horns function by creating a blade of their element when swung. This also gives them the notable property of not needing to recharge after a few hits, unlike every other elemental weapon.

Also you're mistaken - Tarrey Town's break it down service let's you detach any material for a 20 rupee fee

There's also at least one material that dramatically adds to a weapon range - the colegara jaw (a one hander has two hander reach with it on on). And ofc there's lizfallos tails

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Got the Lightning Helm, and with it I decided to try my hand at fighting a Gleeok for the first time, the Thunder one in the Hyrule Field coliseum.

I hadn't quite realized before now that landing a critical bow shot on an eye isn't a guaranteed knockout for a head. With a 28 power bow each head needed two hits.

The Lightning Helm unfortunately did not nullify its direct attacks, but being able to ignore the electrical storm was nice.

Used the environment to my advantage, ascending through the broken roofs to get height for bullet time shots and using them for cover from aerial attacks, which was very useful because in the last phase it flew up high and did a big move that created updrafts I used to ride up for the finishing blow.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Got the Lightning Helm, and with it I decided to try my hand at fighting a Gleeok for the first time, the Thunder one in the Hyrule Field coliseum.

I hadn't quite realized before now that landing a critical bow shot on an eye isn't a guaranteed knockout for a head. With a 28 power bow each head needed two hits.

The Lightning Helm unfortunately did not nullify its direct attacks, but being able to ignore the electrical storm was nice.

Used the environment to my advantage, ascending through the broken roofs to get height for bullet time shots and using them for cover from aerial attacks, which was very useful because in the last phase it flew up high and did a big move that created updrafts I used to ride up for the finishing blow.

Yeah you need a multi bow to stun all 3 quickly or its gonna take forever

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Some story stuff (4 regions)
    I gotta say, the four sages aren’t given much characterization, compared to the champions from the last game. They don’t even really get to show their faces due to wearing the divine beast masks the whole time.

• Options
    Managed to get to the ground, and now in Lookout landing.
    Which seems like where I was meant to go?
    I must have done something wrong.

• Options
    Got all the lightroots! You were right, there were two tiny pinpricks of darkness on the map that I missed. Now I have a map to the shrines I'm missing (pretty sure they're all in caves, which is how I missed them).
    Managed to get to the ground, and now in Lookout landing.
    Which seems like where I was meant to go?
    I must have done something wrong.

It's entirely possible to not go there, but you'll be missing a few key pieces of kit unless you do.
    Speedrunners are already skipping the paraglider, which has me wondering how much of the game you could do without getting it. I think a priority would be to get the skydiving gear and upgrade it, and I assume you could make some devices to get high enough to get those, but power would be the problem. Fairies can heal you from plummeting to the ground, so if you can find some that's a couple of free trips to the Depths, where you can do some zonaite mining. The biggest problem I can see would be the Rito temple and boss. A flying machine might get you up there (if those work in the gale), but the boss would present problems. Maybe by dropping a wing and getting on it?

I hope it's possible, it'd be hilarious to just walk into Lookout Landing and say yeah, I fixed all the problems already.

• Options
    It's more I just headed in a random direction and got to the town anyway.
    Went through a goblin camp and a shrine first though.