Options

10th Edition is Go! [40k]

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    At some point I found files to print the parts for a 28mm scale Imperator. Sadly, I don't know if you can print the airplane hangar needed to house it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5CYcUYV9M
    A neat idea but I think he needed to look more into the lore of a dread

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's not a 40k diorama, so I think it works pretty well. The design language of the contemptor just works really well for this kinda manga/anime alternate history walker.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    So I finished all the Leviathan marines but it is wayyyyy to humid out to varnish them, which I need to do to finish off the 'ardcoat over the decals. No idea when it'll drop enough for me to do it.

Guess it is on to the nids.

How do you paint so fast?! Seriously, post a video of how you work on a model, I want to learn your techniques. I've been slowly working through the same Deathwatch squad for weeks!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I finished all the Leviathan marines but it is wayyyyy to humid out to varnish them, which I need to do to finish off the 'ardcoat over the decals. No idea when it'll drop enough for me to do it.

Guess it is on to the nids.

How do you paint so fast?! Seriously, post a video of how you work on a model, I want to learn your techniques. I've been slowly working through the same Deathwatch squad for weeks!

I mean, it is summer vacation right now. I don't have a lot of other stuff to do.

Also lots of contrast paints.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Id get so much done if i had a couple weeks off just to paint. I could probably clear 200pt a day.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I'm actually back in school after working for 20 years, pursuing an EE degree. I thought I'd have so much time to work on Warhammer compared to my last job, but I've got almost no time whatsoever. I'm even taking summer school, partly to maximize my income on the GI bill and partly to minimize the time I'm spending in school. I'd like to be on some kind of schedule where I could put an hour or two into painting each night, but I've found that I'm perpetually behind with all my classes. Summer is in some ways worse because the classes are condensed to 1/2 their length, but I have to study more than twice as hard since there's not as much time to review or build on previous concepts.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What is a good third spot color if I go with Nids with black skin and orangish/yellow bone/armor? Electric blue? This would be like eyes and maybe those open muscle parts on the arms.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I'm thinking pink?

You might find some inspiration from these that I found on Reddit earlier today:https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/153hhbi/im_torn_on_my_tyranid_scheme_what_do_you_think/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
    htrquasbwtcb1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=5ba618cd5684630e6730d5a1d10df8ca516e50b6
    ou1fv9sbwtcb1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=59e1cd8d093630461a24c3f30eeb8019fca6821d

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Current Test Models. Be aware, these are very rough. My goal is to get stuff that is table top quality without spending a ton of time on them. As cool as doing those edge highlighting and little streaks on the armor pieces look, I'd like to actually finish these before I die.

This is three colors. All Contrast or Speed Paints.

ysxah4hl1syk.jpg

I think I like the pink as a spot color also makes them slightly less Reverse Imperial Fist. Weapons will be reverse colors from bodies. Opinions?

Also what color should the teeth be? White feels wrong? Same with the yellow or pink. Gunmetal?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    You might like Mechanicus Standard Grey with a glossy Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade. That's how I did the grey flex-cables and maggots on this plague marine.
    m5us4pa0goad.jpg

You could try any speedpaint mixed with a little glossy varnish I think, but the classic Nuln Oil gloss should work pretty well IMO (if you have any, it's been discontinued).

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Teeth should be teeth colored, they read weird otherwise imo

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Xenomorph teeth are glass. Could paint them silver.

Update: hit the teeth with stormhost silver. Will put some nuln oil over. Already like it. Also hit the black with a very light drybrush of dawnstone to bring up the contrast a smidge. Not touching the yellow. Think it looks good as is.

Update 2: instead of Grim Black speed paint for the black I tried Occultist Cloak. I like it much better. It actually looks like the others with the Dawnstone highlight! It is a bit thinner in pigment than Black Templar contrast.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    While doing some research I realized that I accidentally stumbled into painting Hive Fleet Jormungandr. All I’m missing are the claws and blades needing to be red.

Should I just do that instead?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I've always been a fan of the jormungandr scheme, but really the only way to paint nids is to emulate the 2nd edition colors as much as possible.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Back in 2nd edition, my brother always gave me shit for not painting my Tyranids, so one day I was home sick from school and I painted my Hive Tyrant. I decided on painting the skin all dark purple and the armour plates all bone coloured.

Pretty big departure from the rainbow scheme 2nd edtion Tyranids were painted in.

Imagine my surprise when 3rd edition rolls around and hey, the studio thought my idea was pretty good.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Like I said in the painting thread it is too hot to paint {over 100f/37C} I learned a lesson when I painted some necrons last year .

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Got my 3d printer today. Feeling like I didn't really think it out well. The only places I could use it are in my garage(too dusty) or my backyard. But I'd need an enclosure and probably a heater for outdoors. And then I need a cleaning station?

Luckily, people online seem helpful, and I can afford the things I neglected. In the meanwhile, I should brush up on my modeling, it's been over a decade lol

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That's the reason I don't have an airbrush. Everyone tells me to get one, but there's 2 places I can use it. My garage (too hot in summer, too cold in winter, too dusty to keep it set up in there), or my office, but the only place I have space for it is my computer desk and that's absolutely not happening.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    That's the reason I don't have an airbrush. Everyone tells me to get one, but there's 2 places I can use it. My garage (too hot in summer, too cold in winter, too dusty to keep it set up in there), or my office, but the only place I have space for it is my computer desk and that's absolutely not happening.

How hot is too hot in the summer? As long as its under 90f I find mine runs just fine. On the really hot days here I just wait till dark when it cools down a bit, or first thing in the morning before it warms up.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    webguy20 wrote: »

How hot is too hot in the summer? As long as its under 90f I find mine runs just fine. On the really hot days here I just wait till dark when it cools down a bit, or first thing in the morning before it warms up.

We regularly hit 40c these days in summer (104f). That's outside the garage. Inside it's worse.

With all of the humidity. Just, all of it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I know priming gets weird where I'm at. It currently hits 115 degrees or more everyday in summer though it is a dry heat so no worrying about humidity at least.

My airbrush has been a life saver with priming during the really hot times.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I don't paint many minatures so I'm fine with brush painting, even priming. If I find I'm painting a bunch of miniatures the same colour I'll just go find an Army Painter colour primer that's roughly the colour I want.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    About a decade ago, friend of mine finished up his Eldar army, and decided to spray varnish in too hot a temperature.

The spray partly dried in mid air, and it basically looked like he'd used that spray Christmas snow stuff.

Having spent literally a week of free time painting those miniatures, he was quite unimpressed. To the point he angrily threw down the spray can in disgust.

Onto the edge of a concrete driveway. Which ruptured the can, and sent it spiralling through a glass window, and into his house, where the quarter full can promptly emptied.

His girlfriend (now wife) was even less impressed when she got home.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    About a decade ago, friend of mine finished up his Eldar army, and decided to spray varnish in too hot a temperature.

The spray partly dried in mid air, and it basically looked like he'd used that spray Christmas snow stuff.

Having spent literally a week of free time painting those miniatures, he was quite unimpressed. To the point he angrily threw down the spray can in disgust.

Onto the edge of a concrete driveway. Which ruptured the can, and sent it spiralling through a glass window, and into his house, where the quarter full can promptly emptied.

Goddamn. That is brutal.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    At least his room was proofed against chipping, I guess?

Personally, ever since I switched to airbrushed lacquer-based varnish, I've never looked back. Goes on super smooth, super thin and is the most durable option. What's not to like?
    Oh yeah, the smell... usually. The one I'm using smells really nice actually!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

They do say that having a hobby can be quite relaxing.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

That's some 80's slapstick comedy level bad luck right there.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    When the frosting happened to me I found out that brushing olive oil over the models will fix them.

Getting all the oil off afterward was a bit annoying.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    When the frosting happened to me I found out that brushing olive oil over the models will fix them.

Getting all the oil off afterward was a bit annoying.

But heart healthy!

EDIT: Also you can use gloss varnish to kill frosting then got back over with matte. But it sounds like this was paint drying in the air and leaving a coarse texture which can't really be fixed without stripping.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Been reading the Siege of Terra books. They're not great so far. Saturnine was the best so far. Lots of warp shenanigans generally, which makes sense and all, but means that you can read a few chapters about characters trying to achieve/prevent X and then it's just warp shenanigans for the victory. Not super compelling and really makes it feel like everything is happening based on the whims of the authors as opposed to the actions of the characters.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I am most disappointed that while I am technically allowed to give my intercessor seargent two power weapons (for maximum model coolness) he's only allowed to use one of them to fight with :(

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Oh man, tiny Leviathans... be still my beating heart.

I'm guessing a lot of GW executives are very carefully watching the UPS negotiations. Their warehousing and shipping is completely fucked right now as it is, and launching a brand new product in the same month as your primary shipping partner deciding to strike seems like a recipe for disaster.

• Options
    New Warhammer ++ shipping service opportunity right there.

Get more your Warhammer for more money!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    The most impressive part is the different weapon options on those tiny models.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Oh man, tiny Leviathans... be still my beating heart.

I'm guessing a lot of GW executives are very carefully watching the UPS negotiations. Their warehousing and shipping is completely fucked right now as it is, and launching a brand new product in the same month as your primary shipping partner deciding to strike seems like a recipe for disaster.

I work for a 3PL and spent the better part of a year trying to break the door down because I knew how fucked their shipping situation is. Could never get anyone on the phone.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    So the games on the weekend are 1k points. I haven’t done a 1k game in ages, and it’s hard squeezing fun stuff in there on to of objective grabbers. Also I’m trying to use all the stuff I’ve painted which limits me a bit more. Currently looking at:
    Patriarch
    Kelermorph with Prowling Agitant
    10x Neophytes
    10x Neophytes
    10x Acolytes
    5x Aberrants
    5x Purestrains
    Achilles Ridgerunner
    Goliath Rockgrinder

Pretty simple plan. Ferry the Aberrants in the Rockgrinder to the toughest nut on the table. Purestrains and Patriarch hang in cover to brutally counter charge something. Neophytes go grab objectives and sit, Acolytes deep strike to try to take down any backfield enemy objective sitters. Ridgerunner zips around blowing stuff up.

Kelermorph is there to blunt an attack somewhere, just appear and start blasting. Prowling Agitant helps it stay outside of enemies 12” required range to engage him until I want to engage.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So the games on the weekend are 1k points. I haven’t done a 1k game in ages, and it’s hard squeezing fun stuff in there on to of objective grabbers. Also I’m trying to use all the stuff I’ve painted which limits me a bit more. Currently looking at:
    Patriarch
    Kelermorph with Prowling Agitant
    10x Neophytes
    10x Neophytes
    10x Acolytes
    5x Aberrants
    5x Purestrains
    Achilles Ridgerunner
    Goliath Rockgrinder

Pretty simple plan. Ferry the Aberrants in the Rockgrinder to the toughest nut on the table. Purestrains and Patriarch hang in cover to brutally counter charge something. Neophytes go grab objectives and sit, Acolytes deep strike to try to take down any backfield enemy objective sitters. Ridgerunner zips around blowing stuff up.

Kelermorph is there to blunt an attack somewhere, just appear and start blasting. Prowling Agitant helps it stay outside of enemies 12” required range to engage him until I want to engage.

Looks decent. If you have the primus and nexos find a way to get them in. They are amazing. Especially if those acos got demo charges.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I have both. But I’m struggling to see what I could drop to get them in.

It would either be the Rockgrinder, without which my Aberrants are legging it which I don’t want, or the Purestrains, which I’ve spent a long time painting and want to field.

Or the Ridgerunner, but that has the same reason as the Purestrains. I spent ages painting that thing.

I think I’ll just have to live with the list and accept I won’t get all the toys I want in at 1k.

This discussion has been closed.