Options

The MCU Multiverse Appreciation Station [Open Spoilers]

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Those were the two IPs that I was considering misses so I agree.

Although the Netflix shows had too many episodes that were too long at times so they were very different from the MCU projects in that regard. Also the budgets of the show.

Daredevil is my favorite superhero so I might like it more than it deserves, but it's still a damn good show. I'd say it's a great show even compared to other tv, but it's definitely in the top tier of superhero stuff with Peacemaker.

Magell on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I didn’t hate the first season of Daredevil, but it did feel kind of like a more serious CW show with better choreography. I like my mediocre comic shit bright and silly, so not my cup of tea.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Daredevil was pretty good but would have been way better if they'd made a tv show instead of an extremely long movie.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Daredevil was pretty good but would have been way better if they'd made a tv show instead of an extremely long movie.

I get this complaint, as it's always mine about the current MCU. It always felt like there was one issue that got fully dealt with every episode of Daredevil even while there was the longer story going on.

• Options
    I didn’t hate the first season of Daredevil, but it did feel kind of like a more serious CW show with better choreography. I like my mediocre comic shit bright and silly, so not my cup of tea.

IF there is any comic property that should be poorly lit, it's Daredevil.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Iron Fist had Scott Buck as showrunner, an absolute hack who managed to derail Dexter into one of the worst TV finales of all time, there's no defending the decision to hire that man. Defenders is evidence that just because you can write episodes doesn't mean you can showrun.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    He also did the widely panned Inhumans show.

According to IMDB, he hasn't worked on anything since then. Happy ending.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The bigger issues is Iron Fist, Defenders and Inhumans were all projects that existed to fill out spots on a schedule rather than being projects someone was passionate to get made. Scott Buck was just the mercenary they brought in to get those projects done.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Iron Fist could have been much better if they either
    A: pushed back the schedule a bit so Finn Jones could fucking learn some choreography, or
    B: hired a different actor who was already trained in martial arts, or
    C: used the fucking mask that Iron Fist has in the comics so they can use a goddamn stunt actor.

Probably still wouldn't have been a good show but much better

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

i refuse to believe this movie will even be released

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The core problem with Iron Fist was that they announced that they were doing it and then had to find someone who actually gave a shit about Iron Fist to put it together, and they couldn't before they had to start making the show, so they hired someone who would just shove something out the door. Insane that that show got a second season, even more insane that people were like "it's kinda good now!" no it wasn't

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

leading off this trailer with a bunch of shots of Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans and closing with the Avengers theme is uh...certainly a choice that you probably don't make if you're super confident in your movie that doesn't have either one of them in it

• Options
    I still have no idea what this movie is about in a way that feels unusual for a big budget blockbuster. Like I could not even begin to tell you what the deal is.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I still have no idea what this movie is about in a way that feels unusual for a big budget blockbuster. Like I could not even begin to tell you what the deal is.

There's some sort of weird interlink/interference between the powers of Captain Marvel, Spectrum, and Ms. Marvel (for some reason, despite all of them having at least on the surface different origins) and sometimes when they use them they swap places with each other. So they have to come together to figure this out and learn how to use them/work as a team. This would not be a problem except for there's this female Kree Accuser, possibly related to Ronan from the GotG movie, who has a serious hate boner for Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, probably because Carol betrayed the Kree in her movie. Said Accuser is going around nuking places where Carol has been and/or calls home, and so the three of them are teaming up on an intergalactic mission to stop the baddie while learning and dealing with their power interconnection.

At least, that's what I've gotten from the trailers. Who knows what else is there or what they've tried to shoehorn in.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

There's some sort of weird interlink/interference between the powers of Captain Marvel, Spectrum, and Ms. Marvel (for some reason, despite all of them having at least on the surface different origins)

I'm guessing it's some Infinity Stone stuff. Danvers was exposed to the Space Stone. Monica was exposed to the Mind Stone (via Wandas powers inherited from it via Hydra experiments). We don't know the origin of Kamalas bracelet but given the purple glowy nature of it, I'm guessing it's Power stone derived.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Yeah, the trailers are not doing a great job here.
    In the hammer that's a space stone, right? And the other bangle or one from the other reality? So it's not a 'fun' girl adventure with fun music, but some attempt at making another End Game-level threat?

Judgement based on trailers, might have been better if they went with Captain Marvel and Spectrum helping Ms. Marvel with some lower stakes thing as she learns to become a real Marvel.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Every Infinity Stone thing was full of jokes anyway, it's weird to suggest it has to be one or the other.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    What happened to the fun tone of the original trailer? That was what actually had me interested.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Every Infinity Stone thing was full of jokes anyway, it's weird to suggest it has to be one or the other.

Not sure if replying to me specifically, but there's been a wide variety of stakes, humor, and serious moments across these approx 600,000 hours of Disney Marvel stuff.

People have mostly enjoyed their ability to mix all into one thing, with some being more successful than others. But the humor in IW & EG is a lot different than Ms Marvel which is more like Spider-Man if anything. Focus on family, on a relatively younger hero just getting into the hero game. Like sure, the world is always one goober away from ending, but this looks So Serious, especially in contrast to the earlier trailers even.

But remember this was going to Captain Marvel 2 back in like early 2022? So who knows what the final product is or was origionally.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    They are going to juxtapose Ms. Marvel being a silly kid with Carol being deadly serious. That's gonna be the tone.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    There's some sort of weird interlink/interference between the powers of Captain Marvel, Spectrum, and Ms. Marvel (for some reason, despite all of them having at least on the surface different origins) and sometimes when they use them they swap places with each other.

This is a bit taken from the old Captain Marvel comics.

8fjWoPTh.jpg

For a while, the original (for Marvel Comics anyway) Captain Marvel and Rick Jones were tied together via a pair of Kree bracers called the Nega-Bands. The Nega-Bands gave Marvel several powers but also trapped either him or Rick in the Negative Zone unless they used the Bands to swap places.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Look at that picture, wowsers

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    What happened to the fun tone of the original trailer? That was what actually had me interested.

I said something similar a bit upthread, I don't understand why the marketing has swerved so hard. The first trailer they put out actually made me interested in the movie! If I'd only seen that latest one I'd never, ever have given it a second thought!

Also selfishly as a father of two girls I would love to see them have some confidence in a team of women, especially when they have good actors in the roles potentially doing good work together.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Also selfishly as a father of two girls I would love to see them have some confidence in a team of women, especially when they have good actors in the roles potentially doing good work together.

Father of one, but same.

The choice too show a couple of dudes that should not be in it is not a great sign.

Maybe it's a big troll like She-Hulk and we'll all be eating our words later. I sure hope so.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I suspect the cottage industry of articles predicting this one's gonna flop (even well above the usual you get with marvel and/or women) has hurt their confidence a lot for this one, probably a big part of why the marketing is bouncing around

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I’m kind of interested in the original comedic vibe and the surprise high-stakes nature this trailer has… but they do feel like two completely different movies.

• Options
    I’m kind of interested in the original comedic vibe and the surprise high-stakes nature this trailer has… but they do feel like two completely different movies.

I don't think that means anything. Trailers are such a short snippet of the movie, you can do that with any movie that's ever been made.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »

I don't think that means anything. Trailers are such a short snippet of the movie, you can do that with any movie that's ever been made.

For sure, marketing has been selling movies that don’t actually exist for longer than I’ve been alive. But this tone shift is significant enough that I have to wonder how far it extends - what started out being presented as another lighter-hearted Marvel caper is now being pushed as an extension of Endgame or something in the vein of a how Civil War was a secret Avengers movie (or how Winter Soldier dramatically and unexpectedly changed the nature of the MCU).

Could be that those elements were always there and meant to be a a bit of a surprise, but they’re letting more info out because the movie is tracking poorly. Could be that they did a reverse original-Suicide Squad and upped the dramatic stakes in post-production. Could be completely an invention of marketing. Be interesting to see where the movie itself lands.

• Options

There's some sort of weird interlink/interference between the powers of Captain Marvel, Spectrum, and Ms. Marvel (for some reason, despite all of them having at least on the surface different origins) and sometimes when they use them they swap places with each other. So they have to come together to figure this out and learn how to use them/work as a team. This would not be a problem except for there's this female Kree Accuser, possibly related to Ronan from the GotG movie, who has a serious hate boner for Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, probably because Carol betrayed the Kree in her movie. Said Accuser is going around nuking places where Carol has been and/or calls home, and so the three of them are teaming up on an intergalactic mission to stop the baddie while learning and dealing with their power interconnection.

At least, that's what I've gotten from the trailers. Who knows what else is there or what they've tried to shoehorn in.

I didn't actually need an explanation. The point was that the trailers betray a fundamental lack of confidence in the material.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The thing I want out of the MCU is for the stuff to be good, and it isn't anymore. That's pretty much it. Like I don't know how else to answer that question. If the stuff is not good and also it's stupid then I'm not going to watch it anymore

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The thing I want out of the MCU is for the stuff to be good, and it isn't anymore. That's pretty much it. Like I don't know how else to answer that question. If the stuff is not good and also it's stupid then I'm not going to watch it anymore

There is a Shaun video about the Harry Potter books where he talks about the ending. "...A lots been said about the disappoint ending of Harry Potter but, like a lot of disappointing endings, it's not that the author was writing a good story and then just messed up in the conclusion. Rather its the point at which you're forced to realize that you're never getting the payoff to a lot of what's been set up. It's the point at which you realize you've been reading a disappointing story".

I increasingly feel that way about Endgame which I found to be narratively satisfying enough but absurdly disappointing character-wise. Everyone gets an ending but they don't really deal with the things the movies have been setting up.

Steve is a man out of time and his identity is completely defined by his life as a soldier. We are told he wouldn't know what to do with himself in peace time. Then he just gets sent back in time and that's... it? That doesn't actually resolve anything to do with him.
    Tony probably gets the best ending with the callback to the "you're not the guy who jumps on the grenade" scene but I find myself feeling robbed by the way they avoid resolving the Tony and Steve feud.

It just goes on like that and I feel like it's tainted the stuff that comes out of it. I can't get invested because I don't believe they are going to give me closure.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Steve had 60 some years of "leave" , all were really left with us a wry grin and the insinuation that he spent 60 years fucking his wife, which, ok, fine, but it's not very satisfying closure on the character.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    you guys ever think about how Cap is actually only like, 22, during the events of the movies?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    He was born in 1918, and apparently most of First Avenger takes place in '43, so he's around 25 when he goes in the ice, depending on the time frame of that movie. Apparently he's unfrozen in 2011, and Endgame takes place in 2023, so he's 37 by that movie

I had to go look all this up but I had never thought about it before, and it is interesting to think about, but that's the Greatest Generation for ya, just built different

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    in my head all the movies kinda happen immediately following the other, and I forgot about the Blip entirely!

I hope he had time to watch Star Wars in between calamities

edit: also him being, not counting time on ice, the same age as Tony and Bruce and them makes more sense than "this is the Avengers, our leader just finished puberty."

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Okay it is extremely funny to me to imagine Steve seeing Star wars and then being extremely excited when he goes back in time and it comes out.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Steve, the 60* year old man showing up to one of the first big Nirvana shows and hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time in decades.

*I didn't do the math you leave me alone.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I could never ever be trusted to be sent back in time, I'd take the first opportunity to "write" a bunch of Beatles songs

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I could never ever be trusted to be sent back in time, I'd take the first opportunity to "write" a bunch of Beatles songs

I'd be too busy fretting about all the disasters and tradgedies that were going to happen that I would have slim to no chance of stopping.