Options

[California Politics] America's Hippie Commune

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 24
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    How does the car know what the posted speed limit is?

A lot of cars detect signage now and put a little speed limit symbol on your dashboard.

Is that actually done via signage? I always assumed it was GPS.

Signage in at least many cases. Thing is that GPS can be wrong due to interference and signage can be faked.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Watching how my car operates, I'm pretty sure one of the cameras picks it up.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 24
    mine is a camera and it isn't able to discern time limited speed limits like school zones very well so the display will read 15 mph regardless when I drive by cause it just sees the sign
    also other context dependent speed limits like some highways have a posted truck speed limit which is not applicable to cars but my car will read it and display it to me anyway

honestly if they're going to do this, they need to consider upping the speed limits on certain highways too
    65mph doesn't make much sense for cars of this era given all the safety advancements we've made

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    This certainly doesn't make my blood boil, but I also generally stay in that speed range anyhow. Most everyone else I know definitely doesn't.

The only case I can immediately think of where I wouldn't want a hard ceiling would be when an 18 wheeler decides it really wants to merge into my lane, the only open path is in front of me, and I'd better get out of the way fast.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    It'll never make it into law because of the politics behind it. Doesn't make it wrong, though

68nembts518c.png

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I would say it's wrong just because of the technical nightmare implementation would be. Cars deciding they can only go 35 on a freeway or 75-35-75 in the span of a few feet, etc. And also 10MPH isn't enough for emergency maneuvers in some situations.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I would say it's wrong just because of the technical nightmare implementation would be. Cars deciding they can only go 35 on a freeway or 75-35-75 in the span of a few feet, etc. And also 10MPH isn't enough for emergency maneuvers in some situations.

The issue with speed is more about road design, the need to eliminate stroads, and greater support for mass transit.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Most speed limit readers go by the sign.
    They will fail to differentiate between different signs if they’re in the proper style. And also will fail for variable/lighted signs.

so like California will have a truck limit. So your speed limit reader will see 70 then see a limit 100 feet later of 60 (for trucks). And be like “it’s 60”.

And many places now have lighted signs which change limits based on time of day/traffic and the system will not see those.

Similarly they are unable to determine KPH/MPH. So like, if you go to Canada it’s going to list limits in MPH unless you change your dials.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    VontreVontre Registered User regular
    Making drivers more irritable and unfocused by forcing their vehicles to crawl at a snail's pace, what could go wrong?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Yes, the famously intolerable snails pace of 10 mph over the speed limit

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Look, I'm not going to lie, when I was learning to drive, being officially instructed "Well yes, you can get a ticket if you're over the speed limit, but you're expected to go with the flow of traffic even if it's above the speed limit" was a major contributing factor in me never getting my driver's license and using public transportation for the rest of my life

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Look, I'm not going to lie, when I was learning to drive, being officially instructed "Well yes, you can get a ticket if you're over the speed limit, but you're expected to go with the flow of traffic even if it's above the speed limit" was a major contributing factor in me never getting my driver's license and using public transportation for the rest of my life

That's the law in some places, because impeding traffic can be more dangerous than following the sign. That's mostly for highways, though

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That's the law in some places, because impeding traffic can be more dangerous than following the sign. That's mostly for highways, though

sounds like a wonderful reason for me to assign that responsibility to the bus driver

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

FWIW I failed my first driving test (in california) because I was going 10 below the speed limit

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

The thing is - there's vast swaths of the western US that go 20+ over as it's empty, straight road. Everyone drives that speed as it's empty, straight road. Adding something like speed limit adherence would mean we wholesale review the current state of speed limits in every municipality, as many are much lower than they should be and left that way because no one cares. I grew up in the woods, where most roads were 30 or 35 - no locals actually drove that slow.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I'd guarantee that some goose will sneak out and swap out the speed limit signs on some well traveled chunk of road just for the LOLs if this goes through.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

The thing is - there's vast swaths of the western US that go 20+ over as it's empty, straight road. Everyone drives that speed as it's empty, straight road. Adding something like speed limit adherence would mean we wholesale review the current state of speed limits in every municipality, as many are much lower than they should be and left that way because no one cares. I grew up in the woods, where most roads were 30 or 35 - no locals actually drove that slow.

I-5 is a good example of that. 80-85 is expected, if not posted, when you're in the parts running through the Central Valley or north of Sacramento.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Just because people do something doesn't make it safe.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 26
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Just because people do something doesn't make it safe.

A bit ago I was driving to the Washington Coast past Aberdeen. And there was a stretch of road with a 30 MPH speed limit. It had a lot of hills and some pretty blind corners. I think I was going 35 and get passed by someone in an SUV going 50. And I say to myself “wow I bet there are a lot of fatalities on the road here”. It wasn’t unsafe for like, the driver of the truck, they aren’t going to fly off the road… but

lo and behold we turn a blind corner and there are at least three crosses on the side of the road of varying ages but none terribly old. Probably where pedestrians/biker got hit by someone in a truck going 50 and cutting the corner.

Even those empty straight roads it’s not safe to go that fast. If something does happen you’ve got 75% more energy at 60 than 80. And it’s also a huge waste of gas/energy.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I don't think anyone here is arguing that it's safe to go above the posted limit, or that the auto-limiter is bad because of "mah freedums"

The problem is that putting it in the hands of AI runs afoul of the many varying ways AI/computers can fuck something like this up, and the decrease in safety as a result.

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    I don't think anyone here is arguing that it's safe to go above the posted limit, or that the auto-limiter is bad because of "mah freedums"

The problem is that putting it in the hands of AI runs afoul of the many varying ways AI/computers can fuck something like this up, and the decrease in safety as a result.

People are definitely arguing that posted limits are wrong and it is reasonable to ignore them in some places.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    This whole thing is such a colossal waste of time and effort that frankly could be better spent elsewhere in the State.

It’s absolutely not going to make people be more conscientious drivers. A jackass who’s erratically driving at 70 instead of at their preferred 80 is still an erratically driving jackass.

It’s not going to stop drunk drivers from hitting people.

You’d be better off increasing penalty severity for speeding or reckless endangerment. Like straight up you lose your license full stop, or something.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    This whole thing is such a colossal waste of time and effort that frankly could be better spent elsewhere in the State.

It’s absolutely not going to make people be more conscientious drivers. A jackass who’s erratically driving at 70 instead of at their preferred 80 is still an erratically driving jackass.

You’d be better off increasing penalty severity for speeding or reckless endangerment. Like straight up you lose your license full stop, or something.

Those people they hit are more likely survive if you limit the speed at which the drunk driver strikes them. Additional speed literally kills:
    moniker wrote: »
    It'll never make it into law because of the politics behind it. Doesn't make it wrong, though

68nembts518c.png

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Those people they hit are more likely survive if you limit the speed at which the drunk driver strikes them. Additional speed literally kills:

68nembts518c.png

The answer to limiting speed isn't the use of technology that doesn't work and makes driving less safe, but better road design that addresses core speed issues.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited January 26
    in re: to moniker

Cool. It still doesn’t change the fact of bad drivers and that every person behind the wheel falls somewhere on the spectrum of Mr. Rogers and DT while operating a multi-ton vehicle and all it takes to veer between the two is a bad day.

This is just slapping a bandaid on the symptom not the problem.

Havelock2.0 on
    You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    It’s like selling blunt knives instead of sharp knives

You’re still selling knives

And if a person wants to they’re gonna strip that inhibitor out and oh neat you just created an entirely new black market for car modding

• Options
    Like as a person who lives in the greater Sacramento area yeah

Yeah our drivers are shit. I wish they’d do something to address it. But being able to go fast ain’t the issue

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    We should be regulating hood/truck height not trying to implement speed governors.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

68nembts518c.png

The answer to limiting speed isn't the use of technology that doesn't work and makes driving less safe, but better road design that addresses core speed issues.

Governors don't reduce speed and they make drivers more reckless?

• Options

68nembts518c.png

While this technology is not ready to be used like this, road design is not a magic fix all. I'm not sure what road design you could do on a highway through a flat plain to keep people going 60 instead of 80.

• Options

68nembts518c.png

My street has most versions of NAACTO street calming. Some people still go 40mph in between the stretches of the speed tables and chicanes. Passive solutions are important, but they are also not invincible

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    We should be regulating hood/truck height not trying to implement speed governors.

Also improve/modernize highways, traffic enforcement, and for the love of Christ make semi-trucks drive on their own designated roadways or something. If I have to go down 99 one more time between a concrete divider and a cattle truck with my balls in my throat I’m gonna spit

• Options
    Constructing a duplicate, parallel road network is definitely more reasonable than requiring car manufacturers to... install speed governors.

Again, there's no way this law gets passed. Nothing causes frothing rage like the view from the dashboard, even with our deaths per VMT climbing. "Stop de Kindermoord" protests would likely get run over here.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Also improve/modernize highways, traffic enforcement, and for the love of Christ make semi-trucks drive on their own designated roadways or something. If I have to go down 99 one more time between a concrete divider and a cattle truck with my balls in my throat I’m gonna spit

You meant to say rail...so many trucks are doing runs that should be handled by trains.

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Constructing a duplicate, parallel road network is definitely more reasonable than requiring car manufacturers to... install speed governors.

Again, there's no way this law gets passed. Nothing causes frothing rage like the view from the dashboard, even with our deaths per VMT climbing. "Stop de Kindermoord" protests would likely get run over here.

Building a parallel road network is actually doing something, even if it’s fully stupid. Speed governors in cars sounds nice but, again, it’s addressing symptoms not the problem. People are still going to drive like assholes, get people killed, and if they want to go fast they’re gonna find a way governor or not.

It’s legislative theater, and bad theater at that

Havelock2.0 on
  • Options
    I wish we had a better public transportation and rail system out here.

• Options

And if a person wants to they’re gonna strip that inhibitor out and oh neat you just created an entirely new black market for car modding

Winner winner, chicken dinner. Someone would figure out a firmware update inside of a week.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

Winner winner, chicken dinner. Someone would figure out a firmware update inside of a week.

And its essentially impossible to prevent them doing it, too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Eh, yes and no. Something like a Tesla that updates frequently, yes. Something on the low cost end (as much as exists these days ...), which doesn't behave that way? That'll stay modded.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Eh, yes and no. Something like a Tesla that updates frequently, yes. Something on the low cost end (as much as exists these days ...), which doesn't behave that way? That'll stay modded.

Okay, two weeks on an "always connected" kind of car, which by the way is dumb and probably shouldn't be allowed.

I like to ART