Options

Taylor Swift and the Biden Campaign present: [Chat]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I don't want anybody to be homeless, and sadly in the US losing your job can mean ending up homeless. I wish there was a public housing system or UBI to catch unhireable people. Everybody deserves three square meals a day and a roof, even racists.

I don't want anybody to lose their job over having a sex work side gig. Dolezal was fired for the wrong reason.

But she's completely unhireable. She spent her life defrauding her employer and lying about her background. She's shown no remorse and doubled down on that lie. No employer in their right mind should touch her with a 10 foot pole.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    not saying anyone's wrong for liking BG3, just that it's just an update to the BG series and if you didn't like them then you're not going to be impressed by how faithful it is to its legacy

I was much happier with Wrath of the Righteous and Rogue Trader than I would've been with BG3, and they're quite a bit more focused. The Baldur's Gate series operates in the weird TSR-derivrd D&D context of an interrelated and sprawling setting rather than the narrower (if not a lot; with WotR) settings of those

Baldur's Gate is specifically just in Forgotten Realms. Its about as limited as Goloran is from Pathfinder. And mostly just one small section, the Sword Coast. Like you aren't dealing with Neverwinter or Icewind Dale in it at all. Like I have played through WoTR mostly twice. Its about as broad or more broad than BG3 because it is an epic battle thing with armies.

ive been getting more into forgotten realms because of BG3 and ed greenwood seems like a much more joyful and productive GRRM; he specifically designed forgotten realms to be able to tell almost any kind of story and its a universe that can keep on going and going, which I appreciate

Forgotten Realms has a lot of great stuff for campaigns and games and stories.

You can fit any type of hero or villain in it. It has interesting locations with different feels. And a large amount of back story you can work with.

I mean it has its issues *cough* Drow *cough*. But it isn't as bad as some of the other old D&D settings. There is a reason it has been around forever and people keep wanting to play games there.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 16
    JebusUD wrote: »
    i can't honestly remember if there were any other RTWPRPGs that weren't Baldur's Gate clones from different D&D properties

is it the exemplary standout for its genre or is it just the only example and people liked it?

From that era? You had the Icewind Dale games which were Baldurs Gate gameplay without any real story.

Planescape is an RPG with similar systems but plays more like a talky adventure game

these are all D&D games put out by the same company though

Arcanum?

i had forgotten about Arcanum, though i also never played it

Arcanum was great at the time but I'm sure it is exactly the kind of unreplayable you were talking about. I think the map travel is probably one of the things that is a nod to tabletop random encounters and probably doesn't hold up. It also had the thing where it doesn't actually tell you where anything is, sometimes only describing a general area or landmark. So you bungle around forever until you find it.

It was only barely playable at the time. The main attraction was the steampunk setting, which was unique.

And the way you could go tech or magic.

Orca on
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    If we were discussing Dolezal organically Id be less lolmao about it but the news and our government can fuck all the way off for how they handle such stories

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I feel like there’s probably a way to be a civil rights advocate without pretending to be part of a marginalized outgroup

But also there’s people who like to claim trans identity who insist upon the pronouns and presentations they were assigned at birth, and I give them a big fat hairy eyeball, too

nothing should surprise me but people claiming a trans identity for their birth-assigned gender is a new one for sure

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    within 10 minutes of meeting her, she gave me the 'uppies' arms which made me feel like a god

and she has the cutest little just-off-center middle part in her hair that looks just like arch's

and she has insanely bright eyes like a little fremen

also we went to a Chinese buffet and it turns out she loves milk and steamed rice which is like... same, tbh????

do not worry i did not use either of these opportunities to implant thousands of eggs inside 'chu's abdomen you can trust me do not bring xrays

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    People are wrong for disliking things that I like though.

• Options
    edited February 16
    I dont see how Dolezal being a little odd in her self invented identity is different from any other socially accepted delusion about reality

I mean at least the group she claims to be part of actually fucking exists even if she isnt in it

She isnt like, doing enough harm to merit much response

Tumin on
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I crave the donut

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Arcanum Fallout Shadowrun you’re welcome

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    there is a part of me that has fond memories of playing Gold Box games with a pad of graph paper at hand to make maps of areas and such, and laments the modern custom of wikis and guides being available Day One where you don't have to actually explore anything

but also, like, that doesn't mean requiring i draw maps by hand on graph paper is good game design. it was literally just a technical limitation where including maps ate up precious kilobytes. you can elicit that experience in a different way now

i think i just despise angry nerds who throw tantrums when things get modernized (not pointing any fingers here, obviously, just sorting out thoughts)

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited February 16
    Ok I guess Shadowrun isn’t real time with pause but that’s such a garbage mechanic that shit might as well be turn based anyway

Neco on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    If we were discussing Dolezal organically Id be less lolmao about it but the news and our government can fuck all the way off for how they handle such stories

I get why it made the news. She is, as 4chan would put it in 2007, a lolcow.

But when you, a mainstream news org, are acting like 4chan, maybe it's time for a moment of self-reflection

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I just want to know:

Is Betrayal at Krondor is a Baldurs Gate-like?

Is Septerra Core?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Remember the OG Dune RPG on PC? That was the worst about making locations secret. "Fly the ornithopter south until you reach the tall dunes and then go east for a while to find Sietch Blah Blah. And you'd do that for 40 minutes.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    What if making and filing maps under a three way indexing systen is the height of immersive dungeon delving

• Options
    edited February 16

I get why it made the news. She is, as 4chan would put it in 2007, a lolcow.

But when you, a mainstream news org, are acting like 4chan, maybe it's time for a moment of self-reflection

I get why, but I'm real mad about it

I think its the story that really just infuriates me every time for ratios of indignation/anger to actual harm

Like if I had to peg her criminality in dollars Im gonna say

Low

Tumin on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    there is certainly a valid and relevant conversation about how race is a construct that i absolutely have no interest in having

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I don't want anybody to be homeless, and sadly in the US losing your job can mean ending up homeless. I wish there was a public housing system or UBI to catch unhireable people. Everybody deserves three square meals a day and a roof, even racists.

I don't want anybody to lose their job over having a sex work side gig. Dolezal was fired for the wrong reason.

But she's completely unhireable. She spent her life defrauding her employer and lying about her background. She's shown no remorse and doubled down on that lie. No employer in their right mind should touch her with a 10 foot pole.

I really wish there was some Public Works program for 'unhireable' people. everyone should be allowed the right to work. maybe instead of having prison slave labor programs they can instead have public works programs that do the same labor but with actual livable wages attached

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I just want to know:

Is Septerra Core?

Krondor no, but that game does rule anyways.

• Options
    I just want to know:

Is Septerra Core?

I think Betrayal at Krondor and Betrayal in Antara have more in common with gridders like Ultima Underworld. Just more freeform.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    On the topic of Shadowrun, I wish a good version of the TTRPG existed

Such a cool setting absolutely hamstrung by infuriating game design

• Options
    edited February 16
    Remember that time we
    there is certainly a valid and relevant conversation about how race is a construct that i absolutely have no interest in having

That isnt my angle; it's more that we have folks who are esteemed and think they're Gods fucking chosen running around doing intentional harms every day so someone claiming to be some different category than usual doesnt exactly rate on my scale of dumb ideas

Tumin on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I feel like there’s probably a way to be a civil rights advocate without pretending to be part of a marginalized outgroup

But also there’s people who like to claim trans identity who insist upon the pronouns and presentations they were assigned at birth, and I give them a big fat hairy eyeball, too

Oh shit, I ran into one of those people on a party bus for a friend's 30th bday

It was a lot and by the end of the night I was pretty convinced that he was not in any real way part of the LGBTQ community and instead was using it as a shield for his shitty overbearing attitude and actions towards women

The entire thing was incredibly unpleasant to be around!

• Options
    What if making and filing maps under a three way indexing systen is the height of immersive dungeon delving

Anime man: Is this gameplay?

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    On the topic of Shadowrun, I wish a good version of the TTRPG existed

Such a cool setting absolutely hamstrung by infuriating game design

roll 137d6 to save vs good game design

• Options
    edited February 16

Motherfucker thats a job

Tumin on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gods the gold box games.

Those were a whole thing. Most of the story was meted out in a physical book you had to read.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    A bill proposing that the state should abolish the one-hour change from standard to Daylight Saving Time each year was unanimously passed by a senate committee Thursday.

SB 1548 would let Oregonians living in the Pacific Time Zone stay on standard time for all 12 months of the year. Oregon would join the ranks of Hawaii and Arizona, the only other two states that currently don’t practice Daylight Saving Time.

It follows the 2019 decision that specified Oregon would only make a permanent switch to Daylight Saving Time if the same decision were made in California and Washington by 2029.

The new bill will now head for a floor debate, where it will then be voted upon by the Oregon House and Senate.

yesss

we also passed a perm daylight time thing like 5 years ago along with washington and california (best coast best bros) but the daylight switch needs federal approval and that isn't happening

• Options
    Remember that time we

That isnt my angle; it's more that we have folks who are esteemed and think they're Gods fucking chosen running around so someone claiming to be some different category than usual doesnt exactly rate on my scale of dumb ideas

oh i wasn't subtweeting you or anything there

i think examining what is causing the upset is valid even if i feel like i know the answer

• Options
    edited February 16
    chanus wrote:
    Remember that time we

That isnt my angle; it's more that we have folks who are esteemed and think they're Gods fucking chosen running around so someone claiming to be some different category than usual doesnt exactly rate on my scale of dumb ideas

oh i wasn't subtweeting you or anything there

i think examining what is causing the upset is valid even if i feel like i know the answer

Put me in the space cannon!!! Let me out!!!

Tumin on
  • Options
    i'm still mad the US Senate ended DST and then the House just never considered it

we were so close

it was the answer fewer people liked but i'd have taken it

• Options
    Permanent DST is the way to go

I don't want to wake up at 4am during the summer

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I just want to know:

Is Septerra Core?

I played this in high school when I was into the books! it was so exciting!

I remember it being more tactics like, you are stuck in a fiery inn and have to fight your way out kinda thing

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

Motherfucker thats a job

Every once and I while I like to horrify a buddy of mine who got into pc gaming with StarCraft by sending him screenshots of the ancient spreadsheet simulators I played. All

"Look at this game it rules!"
    63tnnjs8c5wu.jpg

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i tried to play bg2 ee and i couldn't make it through the initial dungeon because it was nothing but boring combat (i can't remember if i put it on an easy difficult or the fights were just easy)

obliterated by the passage of time, as games are wont to be

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    within 10 minutes of meeting her, she gave me the 'uppies' arms which made me feel like a god

and she has the cutest little just-off-center middle part in her hair that looks just like arch's

and she has insanely bright eyes like a little fremen

also we went to a Chinese buffet and it turns out she loves milk and steamed rice which is like... same, tbh????

do not worry i did not use either of these opportunities to implant thousands of eggs inside 'chu's abdomen you can trust me do not bring xrays

https://www.thisishorror.co.uk/tih-067-when-susurrus-stirs-written-and-narrated-by-jeremy-robert-johnson/

I post this every so often but it's beautiful and lives in my head rent free.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I dont see how Dolezal being a little odd in her self invented identity is different from any other socially accepted delusion about reality

I mean at least the group she claims to be part of actually fucking exists even if she isnt in it

She isnt like, doing enough harm to merit much response

I disagree about the harmlessness, but yes she's in the public eye for the wrong reasons.

Not the least of which is that transphobes love to use her to draw a false equivalence between racial appropriation and gender nonconformity.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

it's a euphemism for an oral application actually used by real doctors, it's not like fentanyl flavored Chupa Chups

This discussion has been closed.