Options

Taylor Swift and the Biden Campaign present: [Chat]

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    It does feel good to call in the Eagle Airstrike on a bunch of mobs

Also I just unlocked the Autocannon and that's pretty great; it's chunky and anything you'd smang with the expendable rocket launcher you can also hurt with the AC. It comes with a backpack and supposedly you need teammates to help you reload but it let me by myself? Idk if it just loads faster or what.

The Autocannon fucks. The reloads are instant if someone helps you, but yeah, reloading by yourself isn't onerous, and you get so much ammo in that backpack. The only problem I have with it is in close quarters, where I tend to detonate myself. If it didn't take the backpack slot, I might exclusively use it.

I've learned, apparently - I haven't tested it yet- if you reload with at least one round left in the magazine you get a different and way faster reload animation.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    @amateurhour @Jacobkosh @Hahnsoo1

The Picard showrunner has said Paramount is passing on his TNG/Picard sequel series with 7 o’ 9 and Junior

He's dead, Jim.

He hinted that it probably could have happened five years ago when Paramount was making streaming Trek content like they were in Brewster’s Millions, but they’re really reigning in spending and trying to get movies back in theaters. Like, there’s currently five or six projects being funded right now, but only two of them are TV shows.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Acutely about Dolezal herself, she didn't just adopt a black identity, she fabricated large swaths of her personal narrative in really stereotypical ways (she claimed, for example, that her parents took her to South Africa and whipped her like a slave). She fabricated multiple hate crimes against her and the NAACP office she worked for, which (arguably) put her coworkers unnecessarily on edge. She had a history of weird borderline microaggressions against other PoC that weren't serious enough at the time to make a big deal about but came to light after her fabrications did.

In the context of my comment about her being unhireable, she also lied about non-racial aspects of her background, like claiming to be a cancer survivor and fabricating a rape accusation. And when somebody is a pathological liar that includes fabricating hate crimes and rape accusations, you can't leave them alone in a room with another coworker, and you can't trust them for knowledge work. Even if Dolezal had never lied about her race, this sort of thing makes her unhireable. The only kind of work she could possibly do is physical labor under direct and constant supervision, and that's not something I want to sentence somebody to.

More generally, there is a ton of scholarship about how appropriation, white savior complex, and taking up space are common (if not essential) aspects of white racism. There's the main aspect about how these behaviors redirect resources (jobs, money, etc) from the marginalized group, but there are a lot of secondary subtle aspects about how they end up reinforcing stereotypes, and contributing to the obfuscation of the history of the marginalized group.

Edit; ugh, typos

These aren't victimless crimes either. She gave racists ammunition for years.

Yeah.

On one hand, in general I do get a little iffy about blaming problematic people for giving their opponents ammunition. Like others have said, racists will be racist whether Dolezal ever lied about her race or not. Racists (and transphobes) are generally responsible for their own behavior. And there's a level where the complaint itself (that somebody gave their opponents ammunitions) just becomes carrying water for those opponents. (I don't think you're doing this. This is just metacommentary.)

OTOH, there's a threshold where the blame fits. I'm not sure exactly where that line is, and I wouldn't be able to precisely define it. But I'm pretty sure that fabricating hate crimes is over that line. The Spokane PD will be racist no matter what, but a plausible outcome of Dolezal's behavior is that the Spokane PD would be even less inclined to investigate racist threats against the Spokane NAACP office. (Not to mention how that may have aggravated the anxiety of other people who worked at that office.)

Yeah I really don't like that argument

so I have to maintain some set of impossible and contradictory standards in order to not give transphobes ammunition? big nah

hm I didn't know all this stuff about Dolezal's various actions

I'm still not opposed to how she presents herself but all the lying about specific events is no good

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    At least my coffee is better

So far these are even like on-sale beans for $10 a bag and still coming out of my old Cuisinart auto pot. But just doing them fresh is an upgrade..

Mongrel beans, the Dewars blended of beans
    I don't know about you, but I like getting my roasted coffee beans so fresh, I had to trade in foreign currency at AK47 gunpoint.

Ive got all three of those things within a 10 second walk from my desk.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited February 16

Also I just unlocked the Autocannon and that's pretty great; it's chunky and anything you'd smang with the expendable rocket launcher you can also hurt with the AC. It comes with a backpack and supposedly you need teammates to help you reload but it let me by myself? Idk if it just loads faster or what.

The Autocannon fucks. The reloads are instant if someone helps you, but yeah, reloading by yourself isn't onerous, and you get so much ammo in that backpack. The only problem I have with it is in close quarters, where I tend to detonate myself. If it didn't take the backpack slot, I might exclusively use it.

I've learned, apparently - I haven't tested it yet- if you reload with at least one round left in the magazine you get a different and way faster reload animation.

This is true for most weapons, and for most weapons you get the new magazine +1 bullet.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Ah jeez I've been meaning to mention that in the Helldivers thread and keep forgetting. Yeah, if you reload with a round still in the chamber, then your guy doesn't have to chamber a round after putting in a new mag.

• Options
    Hahn I get a flutter when you're like, "this thing fucks"

You're such a wholesome guy with the singing and everything I dig it when you've got a bit of edge that comes out there

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Helldivers 2 is really good and I like Arrowhead so I'm glad they've found some success in the game.

Real shame it didn't ship with vehicles though. Pretty confident those are coming in the future, but unintentional vehicular manslaughter is a big part of managed democracy.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    I'm a butter knife

All edge and it's all dull

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    amateurhour Jacobkosh Hahnsoo1

The Picard showrunner has said Paramount is passing on his TNG/Picard sequel series with 7 o’ 9 and Junior

I am sad because Jeri Ryan deserves the chair.

But not surprised.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Man the critics are really giving big wet sloppy beejers to Dune 2: Arakkis Boogaloo

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    "deserves the chair" you say

Atomika agreed it you say

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man the critics are really giving big wet sloppy beejers to Dune 2: Arakkis Boogaloo

If you aren't willing to deep throat Villeneuve's Shai-Hulud, did you even enjoy the movie

• Options
    edited February 16

Denis can't miss

I'm a simple man, I see a clip of the border shootout from Sicario on a social media feed and I stop to watch it

"This won't even make the papers in El Paso."

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

But not surprised.
    We had a weird set of years where there were four separate concurrent Star Trek shows running at the same time. I think reality can only really support up to two at most. Otherwise, you get into weird Arrowverse shit.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Nobody ever got fired for handing out sloppy beejes to all comers

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

If you aren't willing to deep throat Villeneuve's Shai-Hulud, did you even enjoy the movie

https://youtu.be/Rl_Xhvgkxrk?si=Dg5khDp9mpX82vg7

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Tumin wrote: »

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

But not surprised.

It had to be an expensive proposition, and they’ve already got one episodic space exploration series

• Options
    Tumin wrote: »

The spit is a sign of respect.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited February 16

He's dead, Jim.

He hinted that it probably could have happened five years ago when Paramount was making streaming Trek content like they were in Brewster’s Millions, but they’re really reigning in spending and trying to get movies back in theaters. Like, there’s currently five or six projects being funded right now, but only two of them are TV shows.

Patrick Stewart wants a "Picard" movie. And I'm happy with seeing more of the Star Trek world, certainly. Buuuut, how many different ways do we have to say goodbye to that character? I'm happy imagining Picard is kicking it back at the ol' Chateau.

Losing Legacy is a mistake for new stories and new acting talent with classic cameos from the TNG family. I may be a bit lukewarm in excitement about Picard Junior in Legacy, but Jeri Ryan would make a great Captain!

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    Patrick Stewart, I love you but you need to retire buddy

• Options

He's dead, Jim.

Patrick Stewart wants a "Picard" movie. And I'm happy with seeing more of the Star Trek world, certainly. Buuuut, how many different ways do we have to say goodbye to that character? I'm happy imagining Picard is kicking it back at the ol' Chateau.

Losing Legacy is a mistake for new stories and new acting talent with classic cameos from the TNG family. I may be a bit lukewarm in excitement about Picard Junior in Legacy, but Jeri Ryan would make a great Captain!

Also to consider is how Picard was easily their highest-rated show

I would have picked it up, even if just to shoot a pilot

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular

So far these are even like on-sale beans for $10 a bag and still coming out of my old Cuisinart auto pot. But just doing them fresh is an upgrade..

I don't know about you, but I like getting my roasted coffee beans so fresh, I had to trade in foreign currency at AK47 gunpoint.

So am I wasting my life by really only buying my beans from the bulk grocery bins?

• Options

So am I wasting my life by really only buying my beans from the bulk grocery bins?

They grow in the ground!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    Re: Dolezal, I think more broadly we just have no real societal way to adequately respond to somebody who is clearly suffering from severe mental illness in a way that's primarily harmful to others rather than themselves.

Like, Dolezal is (probably) a pathological liar. Her actions are extremely harmful and she cannot be trusted to be in any employment position that requires even basic independence... but at the same time, there is effectively no benefit to socially shaming her or keeping track of her actions online besides as a leering curiosity, and that's effectively what the documentary about her was; "look at this woman whose constant lying results in harm to herself and her family, as we broadcast and give her lies more notoriety against her family's wishes".

Or for another recent example, the white author lady who made a ton of sockpuppets to give 1-star goodreads reviews to, primarily, authors of color. She recently got interviewed and basically said "yeah, I have autism, ADHD, and severe depression, requiring a lot of treatment. At the time I was lying to my psychiatrist to continually increase my medicine dosages as a form of self-sabotage and six high-dose psychiatric medicines + an alcohol addiction I also lied to my psychiatrist about caused me to have a psychotic break and all the Goodreads stuff", and the response was overwhelmingly people saying "she thinks autism makes you racist, but I'm autistic and not racist so she's lying" or not believing that somebody with severe mental health issues might engage in self and externally destructive behavior. There's just no room to acknowledge that she did some really shitty things potentially based on some shitty grievance politics, but that her explanation of having a psychotic break makes sense; since she did shitty things, she must be unsympathetically shitty in all ways.

I dunno if this makes any sense, I'm just trying to put thoughts down because I'm getting kind of tired of seeing similar patterns repeat where obviously unwell individuals doing bad things get either commodified as lolcows or flattened into pure evil masterminds or both.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Afternoon. Had a dream last night where I was trying to escape from a Menacing Private Institution where people were kept docile using sedative gas. The purpose of the institution? Unclear.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    I'm having a 10/10 task aversion day. Ironically, it gets worse when I already have a ton of shit overdue, and it kind of feels like I'm being crushed under a ton of weight. Can't recommend it tbqh

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    You ever order a drink without looking at the ABV?

In other news, I just drank a pint of 8% stout

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart, I love you but you need to retire buddy
    I disagree. I think his character should consider hanging up his spurs, not the actor himself!

• Options
    what is a lolcow and when did this start

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 16
    EbW9EOpl.png

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    I guess Im just tired of news stories shitting on unwell people or celebrating them being exploded by ordinance when theres so much easy good to do for these organizations.

Like I used to not think it was so easy to do good but I am turning away from that increasingly

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Nothing, what's a lolcow with you?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    big fkn robot geth

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    In regards to shitty author lady, her psychotic breaks might be a fabrication and she has never been clear whether she had them before, during, or after spending months dragging her competitors online. That ironically does demonstrate that yes she has a big fucking problem being a liar and victimizer even more though.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Geth, love

This discussion has been closed.