Options

[Eve Online Special Edition] Expansions, Mac/Linux Clients, and newbie drive

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Is EVE going up and down nearly constantly today, is is EVEMon fucked up?

There have been server issues.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, ok, today I'm almost done with Navigation 4, should be done in 4 hours. Taking a break from it though.

I hit up Jita, which isn't NEAR as laggy as I thought it would be. Bought Gallante Cruisers, and am training it up right now. 1 hr till I'm rank 1 in it, then I'm going to see about Rank 2 so I can get a Vexor.

I'm still iffy on how to find mobs that maximize my risk vs reward. Is there a /con type command in this game, or is it "try it and see"?

And, is there a Merch in game chat channel, if so how do I join it? In a week's worth of gaming I have gotten exactly 0 responses to my questions in the Rookie Chat.

KiTA on
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, ok, today I'm almost done with Navigation 4, should be done in 4 hours. Taking a break from it though.

I hit up Jita, which isn't NEAR as laggy as I thought it would be. Bought Gallante Cruisers, and am training it up right now. 1 hr till I'm rank 1 in it, then I'm going to see about Rank 2 so I can get a Vexor.

I'm still iffy on how to find mobs that maximize my risk vs reward. Is there a /con type command in this game, or is it "try it and see"?

And, is there a Merch in game chat channel, if so how do I join it? In a week's worth of gaming I have gotten exactly 0 responses to my questions in the Rookie Chat.
    It's mainly trail and error to find out what NPC spawns you can take. I guess if you're really cautious you could log into the test server and try it there, but that's probably too much effort.

All corps and alliances have built-in chat channels that you are always in.

Oh, and we started the siege of BoB's capital tonight. gf-rock.gif

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    SrazekSrazek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is NOS still an "I win" button

Srazek on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Srazek wrote: »
    Is NOS still an "I win" button

No.

Screamline on
  • Options
    nialscorvanialscorva Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can roughly gauge how strong an enemy is by looking at the ship size and bounty on them. It's only useful relative to mobs of the same type, though. Different types of mobs will vary somewhat in what type of damage they use and are vulnerable to.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    NOS?

KiTA on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    NOS?
    Nosferatu. Apparently the above think it's an acronym.

gilrain on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nosferatu, AKA Energy Vampires, are high-slot modules that drain capacitor from your target and give it to you. They used to be very powerful as with enough nos you could drain your opponent down to nothing (removing his ability to use a mwd/ab, rep his shields/armor, and in some cases even cause his weapons to shut off). Now, you can't lower a targets capacitor lower than your own, so it can help you maintain your capacitor if you aren't cap stable, but can't really be used to wipe out someone else's cap in most cases.

There has always been another kind of anti-capacitor weapon, the Energy Neutralizer. This module takes out enemy cap at a greater rate than nosferatu, but also uses quite a bit of your own cap in the process. Nobody ever used it before with the way nosferatu used to work. It sees a bit more use now, but still isn't very widespread.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FYI - there's a shady eve related url being passed around. A BoB carrier pilot got his account info phished and it caused some minor havok (a tower was temporarily offlined, he lost his Thanatos as BoB retaliated, and his account was banned pending an investigation).

Be careful what you click on.

Screamline on
  • Options
    ArameusArameus Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys,
    I'm a long time PA forums lurker, and just started up with EVE. First off, would like to thank all you guys for the abundance of info, it's really made getting the hang of EVE a lot easier. I've been doing the tutorials and few missions to get the feel for everything, and starting to feel pretty comfortable with the game in general. Now that I have the basics down I'm definitely interested in heading out and putting an app in with MerchI. My in game name is 'Ark Vol'. Will see if i can't hit a station to apply this coming weekend.
    I think my trial is up soon, so I'll be picking up a subscription account soon as it's over.

I think my main goal is a route towards Exploration and Archeology/Salvaging (which includes Covert Ops). I wouldn't mind gradually working towards some part-time pvp once I've got a bit better feel for combat overall. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the community a bit with said skills, and looking forward to figuring it all out. (The amount of depth in the game is ridiculous!). Atm, I'm working up my learnings and some basics like engi and electronics.

Anyway, I'll keep reading up on the forums and absorbing as much info as possible. I still need to figure out details on pod? jumping to an outpost to app at.

Look forward to seeing you guys in game.

EDIT: I've activated my account and after 2 rerolls ( i learned why 9 cha is not good base stat!), char name is 'Ten Rocks'

Arameus on
  • Options
    intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hang in the Uni till I can get some isk, lp, and a BS. Good idea?

intelnavi on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Got a trial account, made a guy called carl veart, heading over to apply.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2008
    BASIC INFO
    =======================================================================
    Name: Xython
    Race: Gallente
    Bloodline: Jin-Mei
    Balance: 19,233,907.46 ISK

Intelligence: 11.66
    Charisma: 7.42
    Perception: 11.66
    Memory: 10.60
    Willpower: 11.66

SKILLS
    =======================================================================
    Corporation Management, 1 Skill, 750 Points
    : Anchoring I (3) 750/768,000 Points
    Drones, 5 Skills, 612,531 Points
    : Drone Navigation V (1) 256,000/256,000 Points
    : Drone Sharpshooting IV (1) 45,255/256,000 Points
    : Drones V (1) 256,000/256,000 Points
    : Mining Drone Operation I (2) 500/512,000 Points
    : Scout Drone Operation IV (1) 54,776/256,000 Points
    Electronics, 4 Skills, 23,072 Points
    : Electronic Warfare II (2) 2,829/512,000 Points
    : Electronics III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points
    : Propulsion Jamming II (3) 4,243/768,000 Points
    : Survey III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points
    Engineering, 2 Skills, 10,829 Points
    : Energy Grid Upgrades II (2) 2,829/512,000 Points
    : Engineering III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points
    Gunnery, 6 Skills, 35,580 Points
    : Controlled Bursts II (2) 2,829/512,000 Points
    : Gunnery III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points
    : Medium Hybrid Turret I (3) 750/768,000 Points
    : Motion Prediction III (2) 16,000/512,000 Points
    : Small Hybrid Turret III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points
    : Weapon Upgrades (none) (2) 1/512,000 Points
    Industry, 3 Skills, 45,755 Points
    : Industry I (1) 250/256,000 Points
    : Mining IV (1) 45,255/256,000 Points
    : Refining I (1) 250/256,000 Points
    Learning, 6 Skills, 67,739 Points
    : Analytical Mind II (1) 5,068/256,000 Points
    : (Currently training to level III, completes 2/19/2008 2:58:22 AM)
    : Empathy (none) (1) 1/256,000 Points
    : Instant Recall III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points
    : Iron Will IV (1) 45,255/256,000 Points
    : Learning III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points
    : Spatial Awareness II (1) 1,415/256,000 Points
    Mechanic, 4 Skills, 9,500 Points
    : Hull Upgrades I (2) 500/512,000 Points
    : Mechanic III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points
    : Repair Systems I (1) 250/256,000 Points
    : Salvaging I (3) 750/768,000 Points
    Navigation, 3 Skills, 91,760 Points
    : Afterburner IV (1) 45,255/256,000 Points
    : High Speed Maneuvering I (5) 1,250/1,280,000 Points
    : Navigation IV (1) 45,255/256,000 Points
    Science, 2 Skills, 8,750 Points
    : Cybernetics I (3) 750/768,000 Points
    : Science III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points
    Spaceship Command, 4 Skills, 139,510 Points
    : Gallente Cruiser III (5) 40,000/1,280,000 Points
    : Gallente Frigate IV (2) 90,510/512,000 Points
    : Gallente Industrial I (4) 1,000/1,024,000 Points
    : Spaceship Command III (1) 8,000/256,000 Points

Ok, so Sins of a Solar Empire / X3 has me in a space mood. The EVE thread on the Penny Arcade forums caught my eye at just the right moment, what can I say?

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I went with the Goonswarm Gallente Drone build, and then trained towards the Tackler build. I'm in FAT / 25S with everyone, mostly mining to make money and try and be useful.

I honestly donno enough about EVE to have a long term goal yet. When I saw how PVP centric EVE is, I had two thoughts:

1. Support everyone else's PVP (mining, ship building, trade, etc)
    2. Be a MAGNIFICENT BASTARD (social engineering to the max!)

Personally, the feel I get from EVE is the same as oldschool UO, which immediately made me think of Galad. I donno if I could ever pull of the kinda stunts he did, but I'd like to try someday.

So far I've been using EVEmon sparingly to try and find goals. My most recent goal was Mining Lasers 2, which I hit today. Current nebulous goal is Mining Drones 2, but that would take a while (3 weeks or so...). Other thoughts towards a goal:

1. Battlecruisers -- Could have this done in 2 days if I worked at it, maybe aiming towards the Myrmidon droneboat. I do not know if I could kill rats in 0.0 with a BC though...
    2. Battleships, specifically the Domi -- Djarmond suggested it as a good BS Droneboat for Ratting in 0.0
    3. Shoring up my other skills -- I would like to get Medium Turrets up a bit, for example. I'm sure there are other skills I'm missing that are considered requirements (Cybernetics and Infomorph for example)
    4. Specializing towards mining -- Being able to self-rat in 0.0, so I could clear out rats that interrupt my mining; Getting Refining up; Getting a better Hauler; etc etc -- maybe even aiming for ORE ships in the future. Mining Barges might be a better goal than Exhumers?
    5. CovertOps/BlackOps, for general asshattry.

So yeah. That's where I'm at after a few days of playing.

Edit: To clarify, this is a cross post between here and the Merch Industrial forums. :)

KiTA on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    After about three weeks of mining, and a long day of moving the godamn thing, I finally got this down into my home system and ready to go:
    Rorq.jpg

Loathing on
  • Options
    Cryxx44Cryxx44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys I got the trial and have been giving eve a shot. I was trying to show my roommate the star map of the where high and low sec were and somehow it got all screwed up with everything being a small white dot in the middle of the screen. Anyone know if i can reset it somehow? I kinda need a map to work my way around and its pissing me off!

If the trial keeps my attention I think i'm gonna quit WoW and start up a full eve account. I'm interested in training up a EW platform but from what I understand I can't really make cash that way. Any ideas where I could put some of my EW skills to use in a money making fashion?

Cryxx44 on
    edited February 2008
    Loathing wrote: »
    After about three weeks of mining, and a long day of moving the godamn thing, I finally got this down into my home system and ready to go:
    Rorq.jpg

i'm this close to just timecarding one. my alt just needs the cap industrial ships skillbook and he's good to go.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Goddamn it you guys! Every time I look at this thread I want to start playing again. :P

Well, since PotBS is turning out to have no real depth perhaps it's time to go back to my EVE account. That I haven't played in a long freakin' time. :P

I wonder if my character is even still in Merch I....

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    PotBS?

KiTA on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    PotBS?

pirates of the burning sea

Monoxide on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    PotBS?

pirates of the burning sexualorgan

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Almost as funny as the first time!

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    TraxxasTraxxas Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Alright, im gunna need in ;)

My ingame name is "Tom Oleary"

Named after my worst nightmare :D I was drug in by my buddie

Traxxas on
    I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. Just to destroy everything you ever believed in. -Bender
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Advance warning for what will be the far future, but I SO want to play this game. I need to come out of my year-long holiday and get back to work, get a new computer, and get some home internet access ... but as soon as that is all sorted out, I will be all over this game.

I really like the idea of being some kind of blockade runner type. I'd love to become renowned as some crazy bastard that brings in the hard to get goodies from Empire space. A cross between Han Solo, Mal Reynolds, and Rhett Butler. Put me in a ship built for speed and evasion, possibly with a view to doing covert ops and harassing raids later on. Is there a way to succeed and have fun in EVE doing such a thing? And if so, what kind of route would I best be advised to go down to do such a thing?

Any adventures in EVE will be months off for me, but I have been reading of this game off and on for a long time. I long for the day that I can join MerchI and get in on the fun.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fine I'll do it, you've convinced me. I've been doing missions for 3 days, and I think I need to join a corp to get more out of the game.

Ingame name is Malwarn MacGuffin, on my way out to apply soon.

emericana on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Advance warning for what will be the far future, but I SO want to play this game. I need to come out of my year-long holiday and get back to work, get a new computer, and get some home internet access ... but as soon as that is all sorted out, I will be all over this game.

I really like the idea of being some kind of blockade runner type. I'd love to become renowned as some crazy bastard that brings in the hard to get goodies from Empire space. A cross between Han Solo, Mal Reynolds, and Rhett Butler. Put me in a ship built for speed and evasion, possibly with a view to doing covert ops and harassing raids later on. Is there a way to succeed and have fun in EVE doing such a thing? And if so, what kind of route would I best be advised to go down to do such a thing?

Any adventures in EVE will be months off for me, but I have been reading of this game off and on for a long time. I long for the day that I can join MerchI and get in on the fun.

you can make lots of money importing items into front line systems. Blockade Runners are a form of ship, but generally do not have the capacity to bring in anything other then fittings for ships. If you want to bring ships in them selves you are delegated to look towards capital ships which take a long time to skill up for. The upside being if you become a wealthy importer using the smaller ships you should have no problem buying a capital ready character.

Ethea on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    any word yet on when this will be available on steam?
    I want to try it, but I can wait for the extended trial period/first month discount that was announced.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dear fucking god, why did I go to Jita on a Sunday?

KiTA on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've tried the trial a few times without getting hooked, but I've had some fun on this trial account in low-sec space and I want to try some real 0.0 pvp. Color me joined.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    cyberneticcybernetic Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Magnus Agrippa reporting

cybernetic on
  • Options
    TheomoreTheomore Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Hello, Theomore here wanting to join your corporation. Will sign up ingame

Theomore on
  • Options
    Ryan_RookerRyan_Rooker Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Ryan Rooker here for your drone pleasure.

My ingame name is Ryan Rookar.

Ryan_Rooker on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    kedinik wrote: »
    I've tried the trial a few times without getting hooked, but I've had some fun on this trial account in low-sec space and I want to try some real 0.0 pvp. Color me joined.

Lemistratus, by the way.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PA rookie rookies FTW! D:

Davor on
  • Options
    LiquidSquidLiquidSquid Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey there, count me in. Kell Fenrisson will see you soon.

LiquidSquid on
  • Options
    Ryan_RookerRyan_Rooker Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Just wondering, how long does it usually take to get your application processed? Because I don't want to admittance people by telling him that I havent been accepted if they havent looked at it yet.

Ryan_Rooker on
  • Options
    DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Took me around 3 years and 4 months after leaving my last corp to get into Merch, true story.

Expect a few days delay.

Davor on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's kind of depressing that there's still 7 days till I get JDC 5, and then I'm going to have to go train something more useful like Shield Emissions and Capital Shield Emissions to do anything productive for a while.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Solid_SteveSolid_Steve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ferc Coro, on the way to Slays VII - Moon 3.
    This. Is. Exciting.

Solid_Steve on
    Along the shore the cloud waves break,
    The twin suns sink beneath the lake,
    The shadows lengthen
    In Carcosa.
  • Options
    eatblueshelleatblueshell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's kind of depressing that there's still 7 days till I get JDC 5, and then I'm going to have to go train something more useful like Shield Emissions and Capital Shield Emissions to do anything productive for a while.

I do not look forward to Captial ship stuff. I think I am going to have my alt do Capital ships and do all the fun little stuff on my main.

Like get all the Minmatar Tech 2 Cruisers to at least IV. Then I have to decide if I want to do Command Ships, Or train other races tech 2 Cruisers.

Maybe I'll take the week or so to get Evasive Maneuvering V for inty's and then get Caldari Frig V for Crow's, which are probably the best Solo Ceptor in the game. (No tracking FTW).

Shrug.

I'm right in the middle of Minmatar Cruiser V right now.

eatblueshell on
This discussion has been closed.