Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That does look really good.

Could this be the second Ubisoft game I've bought this year, where Prince of Persia already broke my 6+ year "Not buying Ubisoft stuff" drought?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm interested.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah that day fucking 1.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Yeah no I ain't gonna day 1 Ubisoft. Fool me 1785924 times, what the fuck am I even doing with my life if I let that happen?

No I will wait and let other people test it for me, and jump in if they haven't fucked it yet again.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 10
    Just an FYI

g7gwqz2hk8q2.png

Aegeri on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I was getting the ultimate pack anyway. I've been looking forward to this for ages.

• Options
    Alright you can be my guinea pig.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    $70 for the base edition.
    $110 for gold.
    $130 for ultimate

...or $18 /month for Ultimate Edition access (including 3 day Early Access) with Ubisoft+, cancel any time?

I really don't understand how these plans make any money. I'll play it to death for a month, beat it, forget about it, and if I want to play it again in a year or two... I can just buy it for like $35.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    $110 for gold.
    $130 for ultimate

...or $18 /month for Ultimate Edition access (including 3 day Early Access) with Ubisoft+, cancel any time?

I really don't understand how these plans make any money. I'll play it to death for a month, beat it, forget about it, and if I want to play it again in a year or two... I can just buy it for like $35.

They figure that if you’re willing to do that you were never willing to buy it full price, and they’re banking on people getting hooked on other games in the service, or staying in for a few months. Or they’re short term looking to juice growth numbers for investors

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    $110 for gold.
    $130 for ultimate

They figure that if you’re willing to do that you were never willing to buy it full price, and they’re banking on people getting hooked on other games in the service, or staying in for a few months. Or they’re short term looking to juice growth numbers for investors

I have seen a specific person say "shit I forgot to cancel Humble again" for like a year straight

If you are in a good spot, I can totally seeing forgetting about $18/mo and then not noticing it. Or it keep getting bumped from your mind.

• Options
    edited April 10
    but
    just cancel it the same day

I have something called the 50,000 rule. Which is that any choice or decision, no matter how bizarre and obviously stupid seeming to me, I can guarantee at least 50,000 people on the planet will make it. And thats a low estimate

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited April 10
    Alright you can be my guinea pig.

I look at it like this.

It's Massive Entertainment, and disregarding the 'totally not political' setting of The Division games, they got third person shooting fucking down. Their open worlds are detailed, rich and fun to play in. This games ging to have multiple open world settings, going by the variety of planets they showed off in the trailer.

Add to that it's Star Wars, probably my favourite IP of all time. in my favourite Star Wars setting - criminal underworlds with nary a lightsaber in sight, just you double crossing and bring double cross by various criminal syndicates.

Then add to that there's space flight and combat linking those open world environments, there's vehicles, it's a single player story and not a fucken GaaS.

In the same way people who loves hard as shit soulslike fighting liked the Jedi games? This one is laser focused right on me. The only way they can make is better is shoehorn Boba Fett into it and I'll be over the fucken moon.

Ultimate edition day 1.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 10
    I’m not going for ultimate edition but I pretty much just excitedly look forward to games I like the look of and then unless the reviews are atrocious I just get it. I don’t get everyone’s hyper skepticism, Ubisoft make plenty of games I really enjoy, they’re a shitty company but they make plenty of decent to good games (and bad ones, but they’re a big publisher so that’s just how it works, lots of big publishers make shit games).

Like yeah if you don’t want to get the super ultimate edition that’s fine, but by now I know what I like and unless reviews are abysmal I just buy games when I want to play them. I mainly don’t preorder because the bonuses are rarely worth it.

The YouTube is full of “don’t preorder everyone, remember not to preorder!” And I’m like really if not preordering is some major moral thing you have to force yourself not to do then I kind of doubt that a YouTube comment is going to stop you. It’s super weird, the entire YouTube is just comment after comment of people going “remember everyone don’t preorder! We can do it this time! We can make this game the game that people don’t preorder!” And it’s like ok I guess yeah I probably would advise against that as a general rule no matter what but also who cares. We aren’t some mass successful anti preorder campaign away from paradise

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited April 10
    It just makes sense not to do that, but if you want to do that it's up to you.

I do not trust them, and nothing will make me do so, sorry. Not even your best argument. I guarantee that.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited April 10
    Ubisoft has the same refund policy as Valve. As long as you pre-order close to release day, you can just refund before installing if the reviews all come out saying it’s a turd.

And since they do the early access thing you’ll find out before release rather than having to wait on embargoed reviews.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 10
    I mean I can also just wait it really doesn't matter which way I choose to do it, does it? Is there some reason I need to buy it at the start?

This feels more like "how dare you not be as excited as me" is starting to bubble up, and I'm gonna just stand and look at that until it goes away, because no, lets not please. It looks very good and I am hopeful. I'm also cautious, and they have nobody to blame for that but themselves. There is nothing wrong with feeling that way and there is no need for me to change from that attitude. I respect your desire to day 1, and I am happy for you. Go at it with my blessing, I hope it is everything you dream of.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Ubisoft open world games are usually cookie-cutter affairs rank with microtransactions. That's enough to make me wait for a discount.

Outlaws does look really good, but unless it's the best reviewed game of all time they won't get my money for a while.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Animation has a certain AA or MMO without a HUD energy to it throughout that video, but I'm not particularly picky about graphics. Just noticed it, I guess, because I expect Star Wars stuff to look crazy good. Here's hoping it's good.

Kamar on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Putting my hand in the fire did burn it the last twelve times, but maybe this time it wont.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I get that Ubisoft makes a lot of bad games but I tend to just not play those? I haven’t really been burnt by any of their games outside of maybe far cry? They tend to do what they say on the tin and outside of the recent pirate game they’ve all largely been pretty good on their own terms

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea I just pre-order every game I'm interested in. I consider games extremely great value for the dollar at full price.

And if I see something that looks really bad near launch I can just cancel and it never cost me anything.

Plus i find it relatively easy to know if a game is going to be at least decent and something I'll enjoy. The last game I bought that I ended up just not liking was Bravely Default. That was like what... 12 years ago? And that was during a time pre-order discounts saved me many times what that game cost so I'm still ahead haha. It also had a demo I played and wasn't a bad game so there was really know way for me to avoid that one without having bought it.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh gods seeing some real gross gamergoober posts about this game.

Be careful out there for your own sanity.

• Options
    I just assume their brains are always dribbling out of their ears and they have nothing of any merit to say. Sadly they are also being twats about Stellar Blade, but for different reasons.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Can't say I've ever really regretted the time I spent on an Ubisoft game once I decided to pick one up.

Usually just decide I'm not feeling like that formula and skip whatever game or games entirely, at least for a while.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Oh gods seeing some real gross gamergoober posts about this game.

Be careful out there for your own sanity.

The Venn diagram of shitty Star Wars fans and shitty gamers was guaranteed to breed some truly nasty sentiment.

• Options
    Aaaand this is why I don’t buy Ubisoft games anymore.

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-outlaws-jabba-the-hutt-mission-locked-behind-season-pass
    As reported by Spanish outlet Area Jugones, Ubisoft's website outlining the contents of the Season Pass —an optional extra to the $70 / £70 standard game so far only available through its $109.99 gold edition and even more expensive $129.99 ultimate edition — reveals it includes access to the Jabba's Gambit mission at launch.

"Play the exclusive Jabba's Gambit mission at launch," the Season Pass explainer reads. "Just as Kay is putting together a crew for the Canto Bight heist, she receives a job from Jabba the Hutt himself. Turns out that ND-5 owes Jabba a debt from years ago, and he has come to collect."

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I mean, it sucks, but Day One DLC has been a thing for a while. It's gonna vary from game to game, but anyone trying to make a buck in this capitalist hellscape is probably doing it.

I'm not gonna stress about it. I'll just wait for the sales.

• Options
    I mean, that should just be in the game but that's just my feeling.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    There should be the game, and expansion(s). DLC should be cosmetic only. Season passes for map packs are acceptable.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    edited April 15
    It's hard to ignore the contrast between this and the Jedi games, neither of which had paid DLC. Fallen Order even had a surprise update that added a whole game mode for free.

Everything about Outlaws is a turn-off for me except the main character. It's neat to have a Star Wars lead who's neither involved in the main conflict nor driven by past trauma. Kay reminds me of ANH Han in a good way. But then you've got all the hallmarks of another Ubisoft masterpiece—a paint-by-numbers story that exists only to setup the next cameo or Cinematic Moment™, all taking place in an open world in which its size is rivaled only by its emptiness.

But hey, you can buy a new skin for the cute companion for just $2.99.

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    I still want to get this game, but Ubisoft want to make it as difficult as possible.

• Options
    I don’t usually mind like the paid launch dlc. But the fact that it’s only on season pass and has a character like Jabba, it feels a step too far

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    People ask me why I'm a late gamer. Stuff like this is why.

I have no incentive to pay for this stuff when it first comes out because it's 75% more expensive and likely still buggy as hell, anyway.

• Options
    I mean it depends on the game for me. If I really wanna play the game right now I don’t really mind buying it at full price. Tho the fact that so many games take a few weeks to get basic options and settings patched in (motion blur, etc) is annoying

I am trying to buy less full price games now, just cos my backlog is so big. But basically for me it comes down to “do I want to play this right now”

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm not even interested in the game (I prefer my force users in Survivor/Fallen Order) but a Star Wars game where you're charging that much and charging extra for a character like Jabba, in a game about the underworld, is just pure greed.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Also irony. If it wasn't Ubisoft I would be interested, and technically I still am, just very cautiously.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ubsoft commented on this:
    "To clarify, Jabba the Hutt and the Hutt Cartel are one of the main syndicates in Star Wars Outlaws and will be part of the experience for everyone who purchases the game, regardless of edition," a Ubisoft spokesperson said in a statement to Eurogamer. "The 'Jabba's Gambit' mission is an optional, additional mission with the Hutt Cartel along Kay and Nix's journey across the Outer Rim. This mission will be available to those who purchase the season pass or an edition of the game which includes the season pass."

https://www.eurogamer.net/star-wars-outlaws-pricey-extra-jabba-the-hutt-mission-is-optional-and-additional-ubisoft-says

Wanted to post this as there seems to have been a lot of assumptions with the season pass info. Ubisoft do a lot of gross stuff, but season passes are such a common part of the AAA space any longer, it just surprises me that many seemed surprised that Ubisoft would be going for the greed approach. I'm pretty sure that every Ubisoft game has an expensive season pass...right? I'm not totally sure if I'm correct as I don't buy into Ubisoft games often as I'm not a fan of Farcry or Assassins' Creed.

As for Jabba, nothing in the announcement made it sound like Jabba was only in the dlc as the story trailer showed that he was part of the main story. With what everyone was saying I thought maybe I was looking at the info wrong, but glad to have at least that cleared up.

I think this game looks great and I'm so happy to finally have a Star Wars game that doesn't involve Jedi as the main thrust of it. But those saying that they'll wait for a sale are definitely being smart as Ubisoft games tend to go on sale very quickly.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Yea wow the internet really ran hard with the assumptions on that one that Jabba was locked to that DLC huh?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Yea wow the internet really ran hard with the assumptions on that one that Jabba was locked to that DLC huh?

The same internet that has already declared Outlaws a financial failure because the main character isn't hot enough? I am shocked!

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.