Options

[NFL] Thread: You Won't Have Barry To Kick Around Anymore!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Sure BUT Bowers was probably actually the best receiver in this class, which may contain 3 or 4 future HoF receivers

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Denver at least makes sense, even if history tells you it's a terrible idea and the chance of it working is extremely slim. The funny part is they are in a good position to do a slow rebuild since Payton's contract is so long and they can use the Wilson trade/contract as an excuse. This was the year to take a top O-lineman or trade back for more picks. Then just play all your young guys and see what you have. Instead, they draft a Brock Purdy at best with one of the worst overall teams in the league around him.

I have no idea what Atlanta is doing. The best argument is that they don't know how Cousin's will look post injury and they want a high floor backup? But then the backup you pick is highly injury prone? They could have gone JJ given he's 20 and it would make way more sense to do a Green Bay situation. This feels like a team that got caught up in the draft hype like some do. "Oh Penix is likely going to Denver or LV? I guess we need to get a 3rd round talent with pick #8, instead of just talking ourselves into another QB next year or the following year".

Atlanta’s reason is “we’re not gonna be drafting this high again for a while because we’re too good”

Again, it’s a good reason if it wasn’t delusional

"We're not gonna have a pick this high, so we'll use this one on a late first- or second-round talent."

Even accepting the delusional reasoning, doesn't mean they picked the right player.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Bowers is the greatest college tight end ever and it's not particularly close. Teams got scared of using a high pick at the position, but he was the scariest guy on the 2021 Bulldogs offense for me as a Michigan fan. When he was a true freshman.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Bowers is the greatest college tight end ever and it's not particularly close. Teams got scared of using a high pick at the position, but he was the scariest guy on the 2021 Bulldogs offense for me as a Michigan fan. When he was a true freshman.

Of course, "Greatest college [position]" doesn't always translate to the pros. And vice versa.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    $90 million over the first 2 years and it's almost all signing bonus. They'd have to Russel Wilson him to get out after 1 year

Edit: Atlanta that is
    Most of these picks are busts. Caleb Williams is the only “guarantee” in the mix. And statistically 3 of the 6 are going to be disappointments. And only 1 or 2 are going to be “franchise Quarterbacks” so if Caleb Williams is one, then maybe 1 of the others rises to that level, and Atlanta Denver Minnesota NE and Washington all hope they are the one but likely 3 of them get a Bryce Young.

Williams is in no way a guarantee.
    The quotes are sarcastic.

• Options
    edited April 26
    NFC North is going to be alright. Vikings will do fine, Chicago and the packers will be fine, not great just fine. Their offense will do fine, but not great, their defense much the same. Chicago added some pieces, but they moved to above average. Packers much the same will continue being above average. The Vikings will blame their playoff loss on injured players. Even on years when they are one of the least banged up. Also their defense is mediocre

Detroit is the standout. And this draft doesn’t change that.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    Goff living his best life right now.

Goff x Axel Foley:

Detroit fans chanting Goff at the pre-draft: https://x.com/NFL/status/1783650255466123376

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What are those?

• Options
    Tried to caption then since I guess twitter embeds are still broken.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    A parody commercial for Beverly Hills Cop 4 and a weak ass Goff chant at the draft.

• Options
    Roger Goodell just said on McAfee he ideally wants to go to the following schedule:

2 preseason games

18 regular season games

calendar extended by 1 week

Super Bowl Sunday will land on a 3-day weekend

Monday after Super Bowl is Presidents Day holiday

I like the superbowl 3-day weekend part.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mid-February for the Super Bowl? This is the worst time line.

• Options
    NFC North is going to be alright. Vikings will do fine, Chicago and the packers will be fine, not great just fine. Their offense will do fine, but not great, their defense much the same. Chicago added some pieces, but they moved to above average. Packers much the same will continue being above average. The Vikings will blame their playoff loss on injured players. Even on years when they are one of the least banged up. Also their defense is mediocre

Detroit has had one good year. Let's see them do it again. I'm not saying they can't, or won't. I'm just saying there's a lot of teams that had success one season and couldn't replicate it.

• Options
    edited April 26
    Barring injury, Bowers is kind of a sure thing TE

He doesn’t have the theoretical (but laughably unrealized) potential of Kyle Pitts (lol) but he’s like 90% the receiver said theoretical Pitts is while also being the most Iowa-ass TE a non-Iowa TE can be

He might be Gronk with far less VD potential

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

Detroit has had one good year. Let's see them do it again. I'm not saying they can't, or won't. I'm just saying there's a lot of teams that had success one season and couldn't replicate it.
    It isn’t that they had 1 good season. It’s that they had 1 good season following 1 ok season. And they kept most of their players. And added some talent on defense in the free agency, and drafted a corner. It’s all the correct moves.

• Options
    Mina Kimes basically schooled Steven A Smith and Orlovsky about how the Atlanta QB situation is fucking dumb as hell.

So, Steven shows his ass by pointing out that it was just like when Seattle (you know, the team she roots for) drafted Wilson after signing Matt Flynn to a guaranteed contract. Which she then points out that Flynn's contract was only $10m guaranteed and Wilson was drafted in the third round.

These turds are so fucking dumb as hell.

• Options
    Mina Kimes basically schooled Steven A Smith and Orlovsky about how the Atlanta QB situation is fucking dumb as hell.

So, Steven shows his ass by pointing out that it was just like when Seattle (you know, the team she roots for) drafted Wilson after signing Matt Flynn to a guaranteed contract. Which she then points out that Flynn's contract was only $10m guaranteed and Wilson was drafted in the third round.

These turds are so fucking dumb as hell.

Or idiots who say “it’s like both times Green Bay did it!” which completely ignores the context of those situations.

• Options
    New rule:

Guardian caps may now be worn during games.

• Options
    ESPN letting Spencer Hall doing live TV remains incredible to me.

• Options
    If you're gonna make Jim Harbaugh draft a WR, it makes sense that it's Ladd McConkey.

• Options
    ESPN letting Spencer Hall doing live TV remains incredible to me.

I am always knocked on my ass anytime I see clips of him and/or Charles on ESPN yeah

• Options
    edited April 27
    Sainristil going to Washington upsets me. I don't want to root for anyone on that franchise. I know Snyder's gone, but still. Possibly my all-time favorite Wolverine. If it's not Corum, who's coming probably tomorrow.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    I was thinking of ebum as I read the analysis of Sainristil’s pick, then saw that Dan Quinn is the Commanders coach, thought about Josh Harris’s basketball dumpster fire, and then got sad for Sainristil

If he was 2” taller he’s a top-10 pick

• Options
    I was thinking of ebum as I read the analysis of Sainristil’s pick, then saw that Dan Quinn is the Commanders coach, thought about Josh Harris’s basketball dumpster fire, and then got sad for Sainristil

If he was 2” taller he’s a top-10 pick

If he was 4" taller he'd be Will Johnson, who will be top 10 (5?) next year.

• Options
    The Lions are NOT messing around with their CB need, lol

Amazing that Rakestraw fell to them there after Arnold fell to them in round 1

The idea of last year not being a fluke is bolstered by their draft so far

• Options
    The Lions are NOT messing around with their CB need, lol

Amazing that Rakestraw fell to them there after Arnold fell to them in round 1

The idea of last year not being a fluke is bolstered by their draft so far

Front office also wearing "positional villain" sweatshirts tonight to mock the critics of last year's draft.

• Options
    Or Corum goes tonight.

• Options
    I was really hoping Zinter's injury would drop him to the 4th for the Lions.

• Options
    Bears drafted Iowa’s punter. So another offensive player. Hopefully he won’t be used often.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Bears drafted Iowa’s punter. So another offensive player. Hopefully he won’t be used often.

zwk93ft10x4b.png

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bears just going full in on the tempting fate thing I see

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Hate to break it to Mr. Williams but a tem doesn’t draft a punter if they don’t think they’re gonna need a really good one.

Punters are the classic “just wait and sign them as a free agent” position

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Taylor is so good (and had to punt so often, to be fair) that he became a meme for the last two years. And Iowa's best offensive player.

• Options
    It wasn’t Williams (obvious) or Odunze (lol Falcons) that sold me on Chicago having a good plan, it was drafting Taylor that solidified that for me

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Am curious what the Packers are doing.

Three safeties in their first eight picks (58, 111, 169).

That's on top of poaching Xavier McKinney from the Giants during free agency.

Not saying that it's not a position of need (to back up McKinney), but they didn't address cornerback until the third to last pick in the draft (255 of 257), and I feel that was at least as big a need.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    The Niners' draft tells me they're gonna be running the vaunted 6 WR/4RB formation.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited April 28
    Frank Gore to Buffalo!
    https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-signing-undrafted-free-agent-rb-frank-gore-jr-son-of-five-time-pro-bowler-frank-gore

Yeah, it's his son. But given Sr had such a long career (and at a position that doesn't lend itself to longevity), when I saw the headline I definitely had to do a double take.

MorganV on
  • Options
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Am curious what the Packers are doing.

Three safeties in their first eight picks (58, 111, 169).

That's on top of poaching Xavier McKinney from the Giants during free agency.

Not saying that it's not a position of need (to back up McKinney), but they didn't address cornerback until the third to last pick in the draft (255 of 257), and I feel that was at least as big a need.

Well. Eventually, they'll have a DC that understands how to run pass defense. So they'll need players for thhahahaa sorry I couldn't do it

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Mike Tomlin defies expectations and announces Russel Wilson as the current number one QB.