Options

The Painting Exposition.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 12
    I think this is the most productive 4 days of painting I've had yet. Feels good. With these models done it completes my 2k competition list. It's nice finally having an army fully painted.

uqad5xfn0he0.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    This is not the best thing I've ever painted by a longshot, but it is an achievement nonetheless. My partner arranged a mini-painting day where we had a few people over and all painted together. I hadn't intended to paint this model and I had no plan for it, so the whole thing was wonderfully off-the-cuff. Start to finish (minus some extra basing work I will probably do) this guy was done inside of 5 hours. An absolutely unprecedented bout of quickness and project completion for me~
    6kfyrmywpuj0.jpg
    lmrfl0eyy5iq.jpg

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Awesome K/night camo.

• Options
    I know nothing of the knight, but I definitely decided the horse is named Merlin while I was painting it.😋

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    I've been on a big project of painting more stuff for Frostgrave this year, and the past month I've been busy with a bunch of the new Gondor Ruins from GW. Now these are pretty great, expensive yes, but very detailed and fun to put together. I initially bought 2 kits, which makes 4 pieces of ruin, but that felt too little so I eventually got a third kit and built a larger ruin plus some extras for the other 4, so in the end I got 5 ruins in total (plus a few spare parts for future projects).

Now, because I hate myself I also decided to put them all on bases, mainly because all of my older Gondor ruins are based (the old kit, now called "Ruins of Middle-Earth"), which made sense at the time because the older kits were less stable (and I wanted to get creative) and I didn't want a lot of loose scatter stuff. However, now it meant that the whole project took at least twice as long for little apparent benefit - but at least everything is consistent and tied together by the bases, it would have looked weird if some ruins were based and some not. An unforseen downside however is that the new ruins are so much more detailed, and the detailing is much more defined, which makes them look like they are in a slightly different scale than the old ones.

Anyway, I'm finally almost done - just need a last layer of watered down PVA on the flock to fix everything in place. I will try to take some nice photos together with the models as soon as all the ruins are done.

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

• Options
    The full army! It feels real nice having at least one army fully painted with a competitive list.

t1bvloev0yn7.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    looks super good!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    looks super good!

Thanks! It feels like the pressures off now that I have a full army done.

• Options
    Yea, that army looks awesome, I love the dirty yellow!

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Congratulations! My main army I've worked on for years is just 40 painted models. Your quality and speed are amazing!

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I am now inspired to pick up some Votann.

Engineering orange sound like a good color to anyone?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    I am now inspired to pick up some Votann.

Engineering orange sound like a good color to anyone?

They look pretty damn good in orange!

• Options
    StaticValorStaticValor Registered User regular
    I've, uh, never posted an image on these boards... If the image is too big let me know. But here is the start of my Ad Mech army, started with some Skitarii Vanguard.

hw3a5lhvsxwy.jpg

Going with kind of a rusted out, over-irradiated theme that'll stand out better on the bigger pieces.

PSN staticvalor_1
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I've finished my last soulblight model of 3e! It's been fun
    d524c7eauhs5.jpg
    qkbqjrj46rfv.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The Sagituar is by far the model with the most sub assemblies I've yet come across. It's also one of my favorite models, so I suppose it balances out.

j263cc2nbsfu.jpg

I'm putting together another Battlewagon right now, and I guess it is a contender when it comes to number of subassemblies :D

IMG_4923.jpg

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote:
    They look pretty damn good in orange!

Yeah they do!
    mcfyydqlh04a.jpeg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I picked up a bunch of the new Army Painter paints and after a few hours of playing around with them I'm really impressed across the board. I suspect I'll be reaching for them quite a bit.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Having moved from the west coast of Canada to the East coast last fall, a lot of my stuff being in storage, and having some huge job changes, I have done zero painting in the last six months pretty much.

But now that we're situated in a new place near Halifax, which has a solid AOS community, I finally have a chance to paint again AND TO PAINT DINOSAURS!!!!

Started working on a Seraphon Vanguard for a local path to glory campaign. Little dinos are done, onto some kroxigor next I think... or maybe some Orks.

880ic5m2zbzf.jpg
    e186q2rxsrp6.jpg
    h9mnmnbnqnjf.jpg
    2um8d45ekxob.jpg
    m1bjmas06fm3.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Wait, which side of the HRM are you on? Dartmouth/Cole Harbor/Eastern Passage, Timberlea, Forest Hills/Bedford Basin, or regretfully even further? :tongue:

• Options
    edited April 25
    Wait, which side of the HRM are you on? Dartmouth/Cole Harbor/Eastern Passage, Timberlea, Forest Hills/Bedford Basin, or regretfully even further? :tongue:

Timberlea presently. Leased a place while we house hunt.

Spent the winter in Hubbards in a lake house, which was pretty great

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited April 25
    Unfortunately I'm in the opposite direction (and I don't play AoS - it would've just been fun to have another paint pal), but there's some great company out there if you're into board games at all~

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    In celebration of the new Ork codex, I decided to paint these two little fellas. I haven't painted many Orks (or grots!) the past few years, so maybe it's time now - although I did say the same thing when the Necron codex came out and well...

IMG_4929.jpg

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Test Ork! Not me cleanest since I actually restarted the skin over a different color I didn't like. Still happy with it.

6ffysxebqjsw.jpeg
    yfx1s07mbrr6.jpeg
    854b29tzdjos.jpeg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 26
    So after some more time with the new Army Painter Fanatic range, I have some thoughts. I picked up the starter set and a few other singles - Basilisk Red (the darkest of the cold reds "triad"), A brighter green than comes in the set, Shining Silver, and the always clutch Brainmatter Beige.

The good:
    • Coverage is amazing. It doesn't matter what color it is or what color the primer is - full coverage in 1-2 thin coats.
    • Every paint I used behaves exactly like every other one. Coverage, flow, thinning - completely consistent. They also remain stable when thinned.
    • Droppers that are easy enough to get paint out of (lookin at you, Two Thin Coats) and have agitators and don't seem to "ooze" after shaking.
    • Don't seem to separate that I've seen, though they are new. They remind me a lot of artist acrylics.
    • Excellent metallics.

The bad:
    • Because they pushed opacity so hard, I think a lot of white pigment must have been added. This results in a lot of colors not being nearly so saturated as I'd like. Pure Red is not. You will probably want to glaze an ink or Speedpaint/Contrast to punch up saturation.
    • I'm not a huge fan of the washes. I was expecting Strong Tone to be a replacement for Argax Earthshade (as it used to be a close match to the old Devlan Mud) but it is very green to the point I think my bottle might be a mislabeled military shade. The sepia wash I picked up was way too opaque for a wash.
    • The washes seemed to have a tendency to reactivate paint, but that may have been a side effect of the drying time (more on that in a bit).
    • There doesn't appear to be a good set of orange-browns (think Snakebite Leather) that I can find.

The neutral:
    • The paint is very thick. As I said it reminds me of heavy body artist acrylics. If your thinning game isn't on point you may not like that. Personally I do as it gives me lots of control over paint consistency.
    • Loooong drying time. Not oils long but much longer than you're probably used to. Again, like artist acrylics - great for wet blending. If you batch paint it probably won't affect you.
    • Satin finish. Matt Black is not. I don't mind personally as I feel it makes the colors seem richer under the harsh lighting of my lamp.

All in all really good paints. They aren't displacing ProAcryl or the new VGC on my paint racks, but they have muscled out any straggling Citadel or P3 pots I had.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 27
    Question for the painters here.
    I just got a mini from Heroforge in the premium plastic. Do I need to prime it, or just paint directly on the mini?

Link to Chuft, my barbarian fairy.
    https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=29068523/

see317 on
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Question for the painters here.
    I just got a mini from Heroforge in the premium plastic. Do I need to prime it, or just paint directly on the mini?

Link to Chuft, my barbarian fairy.
    https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=29068523/

Still gotta prime. I also recommend washing them gently with a touch of dish soap to make sure they are completely clean before priming.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited April 28
    The penultimate batch of boyz; they got the army treatment of getting sprayed down with Screamer Pink (a lot of them already had base coats/paint jobs of various quality) followed by Loren Forest/Moot Green/Skulker Yellow for the skin. It's messy but it gets them looking decent enough for the table. I think I'm about a dozen short of 120?

kwkawiysksq5.jpeg

The full waaaagh so far:

m3ckp88o1fsg.jpeg

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Next up, probably the worst part. Pin washing all the rivets
    vdpan8tygpc2.jpg

• Options
    I was making some Ork lists and discovered that I didn't have any regular Meks. Since I don't want to pay €22 for a single boy-sized Ork miniature when I have a big bitz box, I decided to do a little kitbash. Now apparantly he can take a Killsaw, which is easily found on the Nob sprue so that was not a problem, but I think that the Kustom Mega pistol is unique to the Mek kit, so I had to make my own with a regular slugga, plasticard and green stuff. We'll see how it looks when he's all painted up.

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

• Options
    That's a mekboy, alright

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

I dunno. It sounds riveting.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I have transferred my first GW paint into a dropper bottle. It is only the Lahmian medium since that stuff is hard to add accurately to the palette otherwise.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    vdpan8tygpc2.jpg
    Gloss varnish, oil wash, clean up with a q-tip doused in thinner, matte varnish to seal. So, so much faster than acrylic washing. Can also take care of panel lining at the same time.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, my heresy stuff is all getting the oil treatment.
    Just have to get a new Matt varnish. Turns out that the pure acrylic one from MIG is a bit delicate

• Options

I dunno. It sounds riveting.
    At least you don't have to drill holes for each of the individual rivets.
    That sounds boring.

• Options
    edited April 30
    You know what wasn't boring?
    When I drilled your mom!

This post brought to you by the year 1997.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited April 30
    So as an experiment/challenge I decided to paint a mini using only the paints in the Warpaints Fanatic starter set. I used all but the gold because there just wasn't a place for it. I further restricted myself to the dogshit brush they included, but not the mini that was included. Not pictured, I also primed it using the included brush on primer (which is actually pretty excellent). I regret using such a small mini because I cannot stress how crappy that brush is.

I'm pretty happy with the results. I think I even managed a decent match to the old Goblin Green for the base. As a rule, I wanted to try and stay close to my own painting style and not just basecoat and slather the whole thing in the wash. Lack of saturation is a real issue with these paints but with clever mixing outside of their "flexible triad system" you can combat that a bit.

kt2hiype4qmr.jpg
    6emlilbq8dla.jpg
    log93aq85g5w.jpg

I'd say it's a pretty good starter set.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited April 30
    You know what wasn't boring?
    When I drilled your mom!
    This post brought to you by the year 1997.

I don't know, mom didn't seem too impressed.
    B)

see317 on
  • Options
    edited April 30
    Finished up a few more stragglers. Just a handful of models left and I'll have painted all my assembled Votann.
    kfxmmw7sz3c9.jpg
    bossef8tt4rs.jpg
    hjfnk04r3m81.jpg
    qnfp9cglj72c.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Knocked out a couple more dinos.

After a bit of time working on this and another Warspawned scheme that's in "natural" tones, I think I'm gonna be doing more in this blue scheme. Really like how it turned out and it was fun to paint.

Other Krox's gonna get posted tomorrow probably after their basing is done.

e7wc4o49sul0.jpg
    2ghaed6uoor4.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6