Options

[chat]less

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i can see skipping a season or something. but are you actually talking about watching just the best rated episode of a thing, even if it drops you in the middle of a plotline you don't understand? that seems like psycho behavior

Who is this about??? I backtracked a page but it didn’t seem applicable to anything

Spill the tea

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i like to think i'm pretty well travelled and italy is still the only place where i feel like people were constantly trying to scam me
    Yeah it was v unpleasant. I loved the Amalfi Coast much more than the big cities.

• Options
    i like to think i'm pretty well travelled and italy is still the only place where i feel like people were constantly trying to scam me

I don’t think I’ve ever been scammed in Italy as an adult

I’m just built different though, the scammers immediately understand I’m a savvy world traveler and nod in grudging respect as I pass

(Also we don’t tend to visit big cities there)

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I didn't feel like I was getting scammed in Firenze

So I guess the scammers were effective

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Update- Lucifer is a cat
    This checks out

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Have I told the story of how we got scammed by an old man in Italy? Probably, but hey ho. We were trying to catch a train in one of the big cities, I forget which, and turned up at the station looking flustered and hot and carrying a lot of luggage. We didn't have EASY MARK stencilled on our foreheads but we might as well have.

Anyway, a nice old man in what looked like a blue uniform just like the one the bored guy in the ticket booth was wearing approached us and, in excellent English, offered to help. He walked us to the train timetable, asked us about our journey, pointed out the correct train, the right platform and reassured us that our tickets were fine and we were in plenty of time.

He then held out his hand and politely asked for some money. It was at this point that I noticed he had no insignia on his 'uniform', which was just a blue shirt and blue trousers. I gave him some money and thanked him, he gave a little bow and left to find another idiot.

The best thing about this scam is that on many occasions I would have happily paid the same amount for the same service provided by an actual official, because he was very helpful and attentive to our needs. He stole nothing, gave value for money, and was unfailingly polite.

I don't think we were scammed in any restaurants but the wife always researched where to go beforehand so maybe we just avoided all the tourist traps. I love Italy, have been a ton, and we're hoping to go to Naples later this year.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Yeah, its not great. Rome was lousy with it, as was Pisa.

Venice and Florence less so, for whatever reason.

This is also very outdated knowledge; last time I was there the currency was still the Lira, and I was rich.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited May 20
    Ive walked by my scam guy three more times cause hes at the locus of the sights and Im starting to appreciate his dedication to a bit and ability to control the prime spot

(1€ is barely a scam tho so ??? idk if the economics work? maybe he wins by volume or low overhead)

Tumin on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    milan is one of the biggest disappointments i've had

the cathedral is lovely and then there's like three nice streets around it and the rest is just a massive dump

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I've cut too much beard off and now I'm hideous.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Toulouse is the fourth largest city in France and, if you're in that part of the world, worth a trip if you like museums, cathedrals, fine fresh food and a general air of well-to-do comfort.

The Basilique Saint-Sernin de Toulouse is splendid, a monument to the martyr dragged to his death in the city's streets, and whose fate is commemorated several times within, most impressively on the gold altarpiece. Look at it. She big!

0yrtouuskdhd.jpeg

The restored eleventh century fresco is my favourite thing inside but it's up against some stuff competition from the many beautiful more modern frescos and a general atmosphere of "yes this cost lot of money but we're not flaunting it like the Spanish do". The only bum note is struck by the modern paintings of the Passion that adorn the pillars in the nave, which are, to use the technical art history term, a bit iffy.

kpy0fwv57ges.jpeg

Between wolfing down culture why not visit the Victor Hugo market, a huge indoor affair in which one can buy anything tasty. Pictured here are some madeleines that didn't last long once we'd handed over our Euros but not pictured is all the other stalls selling cheese, meat, fish, bread and occasional bars where weary spouses can rest while their other half is pressed up against the glass counters ogling vittles. The wife made sure to carefully examine every stall twice.

az402gi6122c.jpeg

Toulouse has a second Basilica, which seems greedy. Slightly less grand that that of Saint Sernin, the Basilique Notre Dame la Daurade is still lovely, and contains a Madonna that used to be paraded and has been blackened by her endless proximity to candles. This is the apse.

lms8twsfj9vk.jpeg

Cranach's characteristically weird looking Hercules having his beard stroked by women of the court at Omphalos was a highlight at the Foundation Bemberg. It's a lovely art collection, the result of one man's love of painting and, one expects, no little amount of money. Very strong on Impressionist paintings, it's located in a fine old hotel near the river and much better than the museum of architecture, which feels a bit parochial.

u5pfuzirjm1r.jpeg

Look at this Cardinal by Clouet. He looks like he's sentenced a few unlucky Musketeers to death in his time.

wklz6slub3cr.jpeg

It's a big university city as well, I think, so there are lots of attractive young folk out enjoying life and making you feel old, but then you remember they will inherit a blasted and mostly underwater Earth and you smile and get on with enjoying your holiday.

• Options

the cathedral is lovely and then there's like three nice streets around it and the rest is just a massive dump

Lake como is one of the most magical places on the planet and it’s like an hour away from Milan

Go there instead omg

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited May 20
    Morning walk and I found a dog.

nds1sc3a56sk.jpeg
    do6y28wc5r8v.jpeg

zepherin on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular

soups back on the menu

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Now starting season 5 of What We Do in the Shadows

I quite like this

Also they finally put Kristen Schaal in the opening credits! That was getting on my nerves that they hadn’t done that since she’s been in practically every episode for the past two seasons

I don’t want this to end :(

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    Idk Atomika it sounds like you dont buy Death of the Author as a starting point for analysis at all these days, and without analysis how can one engage in criticism?

This is film holism and what is holistic medicine but one step from naturopathy and crystals smh

the author has never been dead and to pretend otherwise has always been a polite fiction

I put it in the same bucket as the "free market" of economics and "to serve and protect" of law enforcement

never actually true, and pretending they were true only served to preserve an unjust status quo

I don’t think this is quite accurate

Charitably, I do think it’s useful for people that invest no effort into learning the biography to just take the text as a closed system

Critically, I think death of the author has been used to excuse horrible people who made good art

Post-JKR I believe it’s only valid for the latter if a) the author is dead and b) you engaging with the text does not financially contribute to them or their estate

I do believe all art is a product of the material circumstances of the author, even if it’s not particularly or obviously biographical

@AresProphet @Atomika

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Yeah we did 2 days in Milan last year and that was enough

Had a lovely time, stayed next to the Duomo, ate good food, but we agreed we never need to return, outside of flying into the city or catching a train elsewhere

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    anyway I implore you to watch this review because odds are that, like me, you have never heard word one about this game before, and there is also a good chance that, like me, you will immediately go "oh my god, I must have this"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3yH39M0SAA

so yeah I bought this and it is so far fantastic.

Dread-Delusion_8.jpg

think Morrowind but even stranger, I am absolutely loving it. And the graphics are like a warm cozy embrace to me.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    There are a bunch of restaurants that identify as pizzerias. Almost none of them are open for lunch, and the one we found that was open was not serving pizza during lunch.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    There are a bunch of restaurants that identify as pizzerias. Almost none of them are open for lunch, and the one we found that was open was not serving pizza during lunch.

Dominos will never let you down

• Options
    I think it’s wrong that I don’t have any pizza right now

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    There are no dominos here. But there is a Pizza Hut. It has 2 stars. Though one 5 star review says that from the 10+ years that they’ve been in Sicily, it was the best pizza they’ve had. ?????

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    going to a pizza hut or dominos in italy feels like the kind of act that gets someone struck by lightning.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 20
    I think this year might even be better than last year as far as game releases goes

I feel like a half dozen or more really good indies have come out this month in what was, I thought, going to be a slow month

Elendil on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Fired up the tig welder and it seemed a little bright, discovered my welding helmet is entirely unsuitable for low amps TIG welding.

Kind of thinking of splashing for a very high end helmet, risking my eyes up for a hobby doesn't seem worth it.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm awake

between being kept up way too late well past brain crash time and my neck & shoulder still being fucked I don't have high hopes for really anything happening today.

• Options
    going to a pizza hut or dominos in italy feels like the kind of act that gets someone struck by lightning.

And yet

dominos can bestow two pan pizzas with 2 toppings each for $7.99

get rekt Italy

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Best pizza I ever had was in Bavaria.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Good morning and happy Monday!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Organichu wrote: »
    i can see skipping a season or something. but are you actually talking about watching just the best rated episode of a thing, even if it drops you in the middle of a plotline you don't understand? that seems like psycho behavior

Who is this about??? I backtracked a page but it didn’t seem applicable to anything

Spill the tea

Tumin joked about watching a single episode of Twin Peaks and chu was (very rightly) offended by the very idea of such a thing

Neco on
  • Options
    Good morning and happy Monday!

Would normally be extremely offended by such an insensitive post but today is actually my Friday so I will let it slide this once

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I thought someone had dropped some weights but no one in this house is as strong as what would be required to make the house shake like that. Earthquakes! California!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I keep saying nobody should ever in their lives board a helicopter.

Welp fog, guess I’ll crash then.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Death of the Author only means the reader can have a valid interpretation of a work that is different from the author's

it's kind of absurd to claim that's not true

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    In the year of our lord 2024 we should not still have ground that shakes.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Twin Peaks is Hooters with a rock climbing wall

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    First they came for the authors, and I said nothing because I was a Lit major

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Amy is home from the concert, the lit majors cannot bother her anymore

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    Death of the Author only means the reader can have a valid interpretation of a work that is different from the author's

it's kind of absurd to claim that's not true

this isn't quite right - you're describing something called Reader Response Theory

Death of the Author is explicitly that the author's intentions, biography, literally anything outside of the text, does not matter

An example where they diverge is a reader may have had a particular experience in their own personal life that becomes the lens which they interpret the book through

In an analysis using Death of the Author, that would never be included because it's outside the text

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    AMC slaps ‘Goodfellas’ with trigger warning for ‘offensive’ content that includes ‘cultural stereotypes’

you mean to tell me that italians don't go FUGGEDABOUTIT and eat spaghetti with their mothers

This discussion has been closed.