Options

"I said come in! Don't just stand there!" (S.T.A.L.K. T.A.L.K.)

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So... is the sarcophagus a point of no return? If it is, SON OF BITCH.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I installed that mod compilation, and now the game crashes whenever I talk to an NPC.

Help?

Is there a mod manager program I could get? I can just try installing each mod one-by-one, and see which one causes the crash.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Good Lord, son, the stadium cut scene was the point of no return!

Now you see why everyone wants the freeplay patch. :)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm dying to laugh so much but its late and I'll wake up the family. Seriously, that cutscene was.....
    "Woah, what the fuck just happened!? AWESOME!" and then followed by...
    "Wait..........SONOFOBITCHINASHITCOVEREDPIT!" when I reaiised what had just happened. Thanksfully, my computer died there.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I installed that mod compilation, and now the game crashes whenever I talk to an NPC.

Help?

Is there a mod manager program I could get? I can just try installing each mod one-by-one, and see which one causes the crash.
    Looks like that darn Stolls didn't mention which ones were safe for 1.0005. He should've thought about Steam folks and I'm disappointed he didn't think of everything. Job added to my PDA to kill him.

I'm at work but downloaded the zip and see that there is a Modifier.exe in the gamedata folders that seems to be a mod manager.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Tim James wrote: »

D:

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So where can I go to find mods that'll list compatibility? I'll just select the ones I like from there. Is there a good STALKER mod database somewhere?

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

D:
    I'm sure someone has a save with everything done except the factions. Just ask around!
    So where can I go to find mods that'll list compatibility? I'll just select the ones I like from there. Is there a good STALKER mod database somewhere?
    As far as I know, nothing is organized yet, which is why I told someone to compile that zip file and Stolls was nice enough to do it. It's to help people that always come in and want to know where to start.

I assumed the readmes would talk about compatibility, but they are pretty sparse. Can you not use the mod manager for trial and error?

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So the computer I'm building can run this game on the HIGH settings, but I wonder... can it run it with the Ultra Graphic mod? Hmm...

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=8048946

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    aim now plz. Are you seriously getting that? Man, I need a job

Big Classy on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Help?

Ah damn, I forgot the Steam version is locked at 1.0005. Sorry man, the default package was built for 1.0004, since a lot of mods haven't been configured for the latest patch. However, the latest build of the Zone Reclamation Project works with up to 1.0005. Gimme some time and I'll test the rest myself, see what exactly makes it lock up, and update the comp accordingly.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wow, so me and my friends just saw Stalker. Like, the original, 70s russian movie. A hell of a lot of things about the game makes sense after you see that.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Stolls wrote: »

Help?

Ah damn, I forgot the Steam version is locked at 1.0005. Sorry man, the default package was built for 1.0004, since a lot of mods haven't been configured for the latest patch. However, the latest build of the Zone Reclamation Project works with up to 1.0005. Gimme some time and I'll test the rest myself, see what exactly makes it lock up, and update the comp accordingly.
    Way to go man. Are you able to secure any better hosting than rapidshare?
    wow, so me and my friends just saw Stalker. Like, the original, 70s russian movie. A hell of a lot of things about the game makes sense after you see that.
    It's an art movie, nothing makes sense! Actually the book, Roadside Picnic, available for free online with a Google search, does a much better job explaining things like the bolts and anomalies and stuff, not to mention the alien angle and wish granting.

The movie didn't explain much of those things, but I think that was the intention. For example, the stalker threw the bolts, but you never saw that it helped do anything. To the audience and the travellers, it seemed like he was some sort of shaman that had to do a bunch of odd things.

BTW, nice screen name for this thread.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Apparently theres a novel that clears up even more.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Wait a minute. What cut scene?

What has Oblivion Lost been denying me with its functional goodness?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Stolls wrote: »

Help?

Way to go man. Are you able to secure any better hosting than rapidshare?

Well, my only real options are free ones, so I'm open to suggestions. The one I'm using for my RedSun playthrough - which I really should get back to, the poor thing's collecting dust - has less space and takes damn near forever to upload anything of substance. I'll see if I can find something better though.

I've narrowed it down; it's the sleep mod. Just patched it and ran quick crash tests, the sleep mod's the only thing in the core package that caused a crash on talking to people (and it did so consistently). Unfortunately, I packed it in the base folder, and I still have to test the additional components, but I'll have a revised package up tonight.

Sorry, folks :oops:

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Never apologize for doing someone a favor. You are a god. I will eagerly await this package.

While I'm on the subject, what is this "Oblivion Lost" everyone keeps mentioning?

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    While I'm on the subject, what is this "Oblivion Lost" everyone keeps mentioning?

Sex.

Just install it. Walk about a bit. Breath it in. Be awestruck by it. Be fearful of it. And know that this is how the game should be, and was meant to be.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »

Sex.

Just install it. Walk about a bit. Breath it in. Be awestruck by it. Be fearful of it. And know that this is how the game should be, and was meant to be.

Do you know if it's compatible with other mods?

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    All right, done. Here's the latest package. Moved the sleep mod to the optional mods folder, tested the core and full versions with 1.0005, arranged the folders to make installation as easy as possible, and updated the readme. The core package, at the very least, shouldn't have even minor glitches to worry about.

Let me know if anything pops up :)

Edited for a new link, since I had to make some last-minute changes to the readme and reupload. Nothing important, just nixed the part about the megamods (I've only gone through Faiakes and part of Rebalanced; Oblivion Lost is next).

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thanks!

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Since finally getting this game to play with a stable framerate (and not a single crash since reinstalling!), I've been completely hooked. I've been reading Stolls' LP along with my gameplay, seeing things done differently, along with things I missed. I have to say though, from everything I've read, X18 is going to freak me the fuck out. The Dark Valley alone has me constantly on edge, and that's not even the scary part. I'm intimidated. Kudos to GSC Gameworld for managing to inject this much atmosphere into a game, even at my current shit-tacular settings. The weather+improved skies mod isn't exactly hurting either :)

I keep going back to the Bar to pick up more ammunition because I just have this feeling I won't have enough. Naturally I'm also running into carrying capacity issues (I can't seem to get below 49.5). Perhaps carrying around a G3, an upgraded Winchester, a Pistol (the FN!) and piles of ammo for all three was a poor choice :D

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Evangir wrote: »
    Since finally getting this game to play with a stable framerate (and not a single crash since reinstalling!), I've been completely hooked. I've been reading Stolls' LP along with my gameplay, seeing things done differently, along with things I missed. I have to say though, from everything I've read, X18 is going to freak me the fuck out. The Dark Valley alone has me constantly on edge, and that's not even the scary part. I'm intimidated. Kudos to GSC Gameworld for managing to inject this much atmosphere into a game, even at my current shit-tacular settings. The weather+improved skies mod isn't exactly hurting either :)

I keep going back to the Bar to pick up more ammunition because I just have this feeling I won't have enough. Naturally I'm also running into carrying capacity issues (I can't seem to get below 49.5). Perhaps carrying around a G3, an upgraded Winchester, a Pistol (the FN!) and piles of ammo for all three was a poor choice :D
    I think I ended up dumping the pistols because they were mostly useless. I played it unmodded though.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I think I ended up dumping the pistols because they were mostly useless. I played it unmodded though.

Eventually you don't need pistols any more, since you can carry multiple rifles/SMGs. But if you play without visible crosshairs on, you become quite good at using pistol iron sights and even the starter pistol can be a deadly tool. Very useful at the start of the game... I had two pistols and a shotgun for a while and I was head-shotting raiders left and right.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    There are a handful of good pistols that stay useful for nice, long stretches. You can pick up a Fort 12 from Sidorovich right after rescuing Nimble, which is very useful against bandits. A Walker P9m is a good companion up to Wild Territory. The Martha, if you can find one, is a versatile weapon and can take a bloodsucker down with a single well-aimed clip. And of course, the Big Ben shares ammo with VLA and Vintar rifles; shared ammo types are very helpful in keeping the weight down, plus it has the stopping power of a shotgun.

Mostly I just used pistols in the not-uncommon case where my main weapon jammed or needed a reload and my target wasn't quite dead yet. Grab the secondary, dust him/it, and get back behind cover for a proper reload. But yeah, they do eventually taper off and stop being useful. Towards the end I just dropped mine so I could lug around a rocket launcher long enough to find a worthy target.

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Wait a minute. What cut scene?

What has Oblivion Lost been denying me with its functional goodness?
    It's kind of ironic that I typed it as "cut scene" instead of cutscene because whatever you got to do in the stadium was replaced by a little flyover of events in progress.

To anyone who's confused and just following along, don't sweat it much. No real spoilers here, and you aren't missing a whole lot one way or the other. Like fretting over the mechanics, if you are worried about a little something here and there, you are missing the point of the game! Just go play. :)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I've said before that part of the atmosphere of the game has been created by its fanbase. I remember reading about X18 and getting physically pumped up about it before I arrived there. If a bunch of dumb kids had commented on it like they do about Doom 3 or Bioshock, a lot of the magic would have been lost.

I also think the enthusiasm is created by the game's own mystery. People approach it as this broken machine that produces endless joy once you overcome its obstacles. Perhaps the adage applies that we hold most dear the things that we accomplish with great effort. When the game finally runs smoothly and you get the hang of the (supposedly intimidating) mechanics, it's like something has been unlocked, and I think we tend to pay more attention to the experience.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seeing this thread has really made me want to reinstall Stalker.

Good God, I spent so much time on my last game... I fear that I will have no time for anything else over the next few weeks.

Oh well, at least I'll be having a butt-load of fun :D

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wonder what mod is better. Stalker rebalanced or Oblivion lost.

So far im really loving the new hud and super mega pimped out graphics in stalker rebalanced. Havent tried oblivion lost though.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    randombattle, you still have the best post in this thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=1412388&postcount=6

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I still don't know why people want to change those lines. It's hokey but its so funny you can't help but love it.

Why can't people be nicer to the sounds. Everyone needs to join the club supporting the sounds. I said come in don't just stand there!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    YOU CAN'T GO THERE
    How did I manage that?
    YOU CAN'T GO THERE
    Let's drink to him once more. He was a good Stalker.
    YOU CAN'T GO THERE
    ...same thing day after day...

Sometimes things can be that special kind of annoying where they circle around and become awesome again. The Bar is at least a half-dozen of those things, all at the same time. I just can't go in without hearing the bouncer telling me to, it's just not right.

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yep, it's part of the love.

Of course, the best "repeating dialogue" is toward the end of the game. It's quite a bit more intense and less humorous though.
    Don't spoil yourself by listening to audio clip 17. It's a better effect when you come across it in the game.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yep, it's part of the love.

Of course, the best "repeating dialogue" is toward the end of the game. It's quite a bit more intense and less humorous though.
    Don't spoil yourself by listening to audio clip 17. It's a better effect when you come across it in the game.

Heh some of those jokes are pretty good. :lol:

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have a raging desire to play this game, why do I find myself absolutely unable to follow the PDA's map? I've picked "Take care of the 2 guys @ the Garbage" as a second mission and I pretty much can't get there(assuming my PDA actually shows the right direction.). I'm certain that the last time I tried playing STALKER I had the exact same problem but with a different mission. Is there some part about map navigation that I'm missing? I haven't had an issue like that with any other game in the last 15 years, but quiet obviously I'm doing something wrong here.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    zeeny wrote: »
    I have a raging desire to play this game, why do I find myself absolutely unable to follow the PDA's map? I've picked "Take care of the 2 guys @ the Garbage" as a second mission and I pretty much can't get there(assuming my PDA actually shows the right direction.). I'm certain that the last time I tried playing STALKER I had the exact same problem but with a different mission. Is there some part about map navigation that I'm missing? I haven't had an issue like that with any other game in the last 15 years, but quiet obviously I'm doing something wrong here.
    :?

What exactly do you mean? When you hit the little crosshair next to the task, it should zoom in on where it is unless it's one of those special/indoor missions; conversely, the map'll have a little bubble over the objective with a description. Then it's just a matter of following the roads/paths and stuff.

Do they not show up at all for you or something?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    :?

What exactly do you mean? When you hit the little crosshair next to the task, it should zoom in on where it is unless it's one of those special/indoor missions; conversely, the map'll have a little bubble over the objective with a description. Then it's just a matter of following the roads/paths and stuff.

Do they not show up at all for you or something?

I'm trying to follow the arrow that is always at the border of my map screen showing me which direction I'm supposed to go and I'm unable to get there, as in - heavy anomalies or wire. I'm pretty sure that the game is functioning fine and the way it's supposed to be, so, quiet probably I'm doing something wrong. I'm looking for a specific input on that mission is the location REALLY on the other fucking side of the world or do I not understand how does the PDA function?

zeeny on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The time limit on simple quests is currently my biggest turn-off towards this game.

But man, I was in some sewers and I cleared it of bandits, and was just shuffling about, looting; then I heard the most GOD AWFUL sound ever, and sprinted clear to the ladder to get out.

I've never been so happy to see the sun (and my loaded AK74) before.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    randombattle, you still have the best post in this thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=1412388&postcount=6

Hey, it's me! I'm in that post!

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm trying to follow the arrow that is always at the border of my map screen showing me which direction I'm supposed to go and I'm unable to get there, as in - heavy anomalies or wire. I'm pretty sure that the game is functioning fine and the way it's supposed to be, so, quiet probably I'm doing something wrong. I'm looking for a specific input on that mission is the location REALLY on the other fucking side of the world or do I not understand how does the PDA function?
    I think I see now. Yeah, most of the areas' edges are walled off in one way or another; in order to transition from one to another, you have to use various checkpoints which're usually located on the roads running through the areas (IE that paved one that runs through the military checkpoint to the south of Godron). Transitions are marked with partial-circles with "To (insert)" when you hover over them on the map.

Sorenson on
This discussion has been closed.