Options

To iPod or not to iPod

• Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    bent wrote: »
    I mean don't you have 3g networks over there? I get as much internet use out of my nokia 6880 as I could possibly want. Which coincidentally isn't much, because why the hell I'd want the internet with me absolutely everywhere is beyond me.

Not on Verizon you don't. I use email and online calendars on an hourly basis. Being able to do all the things ben0207 described would be a serious bonus. And perhaps the reason you don't use the Internet very much on your Nokia is because it must be an absolute nightmare with a small screen and numerical keypad.
    Also you say you need skype. Why?

It's the only way I stay in contact with my parents in the UK.
    And last but not least, you can always get a small mp3 player if you're going to be carrying around loads of crap in your pockets. It doesn't have to be some behemoth touchscreen.

You are trying to rationalise with an irrational mind. I know all these things.

Maybe Android stuff will change my mind when the time comes in September.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    NovaRevNovaRev Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lewisham - have you considered any of the Blackberries that Verizon has? I think they're supposed to get the Curve soon, but the Pearl might fit you better if you're concerned about pocket space because it is quite tiny. Blackberries can do nearly everything that an iPhone does, even down to Google Maps and visual voicemail, and they're good at email, calendars and other PDA applications. Obviously the major differences are that the iPhone has a slicker interface, larger screen and it's better with media and the web.

I carry a Curve and a Touch with me, and I find that the mobile apps on Blackberry like Google Maps, Opera Mini, etc. get the job done when I'm outside of a hotspot and need a map, movie showtimes, etc. even though the interface isn't as nice as the Touch and the screen is smaller. This isn't the most optimal solution if your pocket space is already too tight for a small smartphone + iPod Touch, and obviously it doesn't replicate THE actual iPhone, but if I was forced to use Verizon and wanted to get as close to the iPhone as possible, I would go Blackberry + touch.

NovaRev on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    NovaRev wrote: »
    I carry a Curve and a Touch with me, and I find that the mobile apps on Blackberry like Google Maps, Opera Mini, etc. get the job done when I'm outside of a hotspot and need a map, movie showtimes, etc. even though the interface isn't as nice as the Touch and the screen is smaller. This isn't the most optimal solution if your pocket space is already too tight for a small smartphone + iPod Touch, and obviously it doesn't replicate THE actual iPhone, but if I was forced to use Verizon and wanted to get as close to the iPhone as possible, I would go Blackberry + touch.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I managed to find someone in the department with an iPhone, and did the critical "shove it in my pockets" test. Because it's so thin, it really doesn't seem to make a difference to the amount I'm loaded by: carrying around coins is much more troublesome. So I think I will be happy with a Touch and Some Other Phone, perhaps the Samsung Juke because it doesn't look too awful, is small and free free free.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    NovaRevNovaRev Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If the iPhone fits OK in your pocket, the Touch definitely will because it is actually half the thickness of the iPhone.

NovaRev on
  • Options
    blackranger3dblackranger3d Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Mayday wrote: »
    Hey guyyyys.
    I need some info on iPods really quick (like, right now) so sorry for not reading the thread.

-Can you use an iPod as a portable harddrive ( http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/windows/tutorial/segment102092b.html ) without iTunes?
    -Are there any problems with self-ripped mp3s?
    -Does read read the data structure? (as in: can you just copy a bunch of folders onto it and press play on one of the files in them and it will play all the tracks JUST in this folder?)
    -Is it easy to NOT use iTunes? (I really don't like it).

I'm specifically looking at an iPod touch 8GB right now, alternatively an iPod Classic 80GB for a similiar price.

- Yes, but you have to enable it with iTunes, and it doesn't work with the Touch/iPhone.
    - No
    - No
    - Winamp does it I hear.

What the dirty hells.

The main things that kept me with the ipod line (even though it has generally been more expense gb per gb vs. other units in Canada anyway) were
    1.- car stereo connectivity
    2.- The ease of turning my ipod into a jump drive
    3.- accessories

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    NovaRev wrote: »

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I managed to find someone in the department with an iPhone, and did the critical "shove it in my pockets" test. Because it's so thin, it really doesn't seem to make a difference to the amount I'm loaded by: carrying around coins is much more troublesome. So I think I will be happy with a Touch and Some Other Phone, perhaps the Samsung Juke because it doesn't look too awful, is small and free free free.

I'm in practically the same situation. I carry a Nokia E61 for internet, email and Google Maps everywhere, and my Touch on me for entertainment purposes. My Touch is configured for my email and the browsing is a lot faster (obviously, stuck with EDGE on the E61), so when I'm in a hotspot I use the Touch and when I'm not I use my phone.

Personally, I love this setup. I know the iPhone has a pretty long lasting battery, but I mostly use my Touch for video, so I don't want to worry about running my phone out of juice because I wanted to watch Shaun of the Dead on the train. Of course you can't use an E61 (nay, any Symbian phone) on Verizon, so I'd second the BB + touch suggestion.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What the dirty hells.

The main things that kept me with the ipod line (even though it has generally been more expense gb per gb vs. other units in Canada anyway) were
    1.- car stereo connectivity
    2.- The ease of turning my ipod into a jump drive
    3.- accessories

The lack of disk mode on the Touch/iPhone is what I would classically call "bullshit"

Crazy theory: it was disabled to stop people trying to use it as a boot disk, and running the write cycles down astronomically quickly. But then just making it not bootable, or giving a warning when you enabled it, would be enough.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ronen wrote: »
    I'm in practically the same situation. I carry a Nokia E61 for internet, email and Google Maps everywhere, and my Touch on me for entertainment purposes. My Touch is configured for my email and the browsing is a lot faster (obviously, stuck with EDGE on the E61), so when I'm in a hotspot I use the Touch and when I'm not I use my phone.

The E61 is not a small phone, do you find yourself weighed down a lot?

But yeah, I'm basically sold on getting a Touch for now. We'll see how I feel about things when my contract with Verizon is up (I'm not leaving the Verizon store until I get a 1 year instrad of 2 year contract).

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ronen wrote: »

The E61 is not a small phone, do you find yourself weighed down a lot?

But yeah, I'm basically sold on getting a Touch for now. We'll see how I feel about things when my contract with Verizon is up (I'm not leaving the Verizon store until I get a 1 year instrad of 2 year contract).

You know, I actually haven't had problem with the size of the E61. I've carried it for nearly 2 years now, and it's the first wide phone (with a QWERTY keyboard) that I've owned. I probably haven't had a problem with it because I'm used to carrying larger phones... Symbian phones are historically large and I'm a Symbian whore. My upgrade path has gone from Nokia 3650 to N-gage QD (yeah, I'm aware) to the E61.

Of course, my next phone will probably be the successor to the E65 (whatever the next E series slider is) and those are pretty thin, so things are looking up for us Symbian faithfuls! :D

I tend to keep my phone in a pants pocket and my iPod in a jacket pocket anyway. I grabbed a Vaja holster case without the thing on the back for my touch, just to protect the shiny backside, which is awesome (and it should be, considering how goddamned expensive Vaja cases are).

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    running the write cycles down astronomically quickly.
    Please elaborate.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    running the write cycles down astronomically quickly.
    Please elaborate.

Flash drives have a limited number of cycles they can go before they wear out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive#Disadvantages

Lewisham on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fuck the iPod and get the Archos 605 wifi.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    In the interest of fairness I decided to buy and test out the 16GB ipod touch I bought it at Future Shop for $405 ($359 + 13% Tax) - (I love 30 day no questions asked return policies). The touch can be found on many deal sites (redflagdeals, craigslist) for approx $300..

Pro
    - Pretty and cool
    - cover flow is neat
    - big screen
    - you can turn the unit off (small pet peeve from the older gens)
    - ability to choose screen saver

Meh (for me)
    - wi-fi (I have a blackberry)
    - Contacts, calendar, etc etc (I have a bb for this stuff)
    - Video (I use my psp)
    - Touch screen (not as important as I once thought)

cons
    - NO hdd support (hdd support was what originally brought me to ipods)
    - COST
    ITouch (in store) = 25.35 / GB!!!!
    ITouch (off a deal site) = 18.75/GB
    30gb Video (deal site $150 new in box) = $5.00/GB
    - Official Ipod accessories don’t work (FM wired remote that I bought a month ago for the 30gb video)
    - Non-itunes music management software does not seem to work with Itouch.

I will have to agree with “That_Guy” with one small addition. Fuck the new generation of ipods.

I’m going to return this overpriced piece of equipment and replace my dying Ipod video with a new (deal site) ipod video or someother unit. The next gen of ipods seems to suck (for me).

PS. Does anyone know if the new Nanos, or New Classics have HDD support.

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So this is very slightly related, but theres no way I'm making a whole thread for just this so:

In iTunes, is there a way to just delete a crapload of duplicates?

I added all my songs to my new computer from my external hard drive, which is where the library directory is, and even without the checkbox checked, it made a double of every single song that it added. And it even made a triple of most!

So now I have 35,000 songs, but most of them are duplicates. How do I just click to get rid of them all!??!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    google is king.

I googled "itunes remove duplicates" and found several hits. Whether the apply to the current itunes I am unsure.

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, but the solutions I found doing that are all what I already know. I know about "Show duplicates," but that only shows them, it does nothing to delete them.

The problem is not "how do I delete songs," but rather, "how do I delete about 20,000 songs without having to click each and every single one?"

Thanks though.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    - cover flow is neat

Now, I love my iPod touch, but Cover Flow is by far the worst feature on it. It's pretty, but it's hardly usable.

Example: I keep the little stand on my desk in front of my monitor so I can place my iPod in it while I'm working and have easy access to it. I originally left it in Cover Flow, and it was pretty cool.... until I went to change the volume.

How the fuck do you design an interface for controlling music, bill it as one of your flagship features, and then leave out the fucking volume control? To change the volume, I have to pick up my iPod, turn it to tall mode and THEN change the volume.

Oh, and since the headphone port is on the bottom (which I normally don't mind, it makes sense if you leave your iPod on a flat surface a lot), I can't leave the iPod in the stand vertically, so instead I have to leave it with one corner tucked into the stand, propped up on the headphone cable just to keep it in a mode where I don't have to move it to change the fucking volume.

I'm ok.
    PS. Does anyone know if the new Nanos, or New Classics have HDD support.

I'm pretty sure they do.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Yeah, but the solutions I found doing that are all what I already know. I know about "Show duplicates," but that only shows them, it does nothing to delete them.

The problem is not "how do I delete songs," but rather, "how do I delete about 20,000 songs without having to click each and every single one?"

Thanks though.

Make yourself a smart playlist in iTunes that contains what you want to get rid of. Then you can delete them from there. You can't just hit delete as that will just remove from the playlist (I think, anyway). However, you can hit option-delete (not sure on a windows box...alt?) to remove them from your library.

Regarding Coverflow: I don't think Apple intended it to be used while your listening to music. It's great for browsing your library, but Apple expects you to return to "tall mode" when actually listening. Yes, I know people don't necessarily agree with that, but that's the reasoning behind it. Maybe it will be fixed in a future update...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Pro
    - Pretty and cool
    - cover flow is neat
    - big screen
    - you can turn the unit off (small pet peeve from the older gens)
    - ability to choose screen saver
    Did you really experience that big of a power trickle when the unit was sleeping? From what I remember, holding Play (or was it Menu) on the previous generations put the unit to sleep immediately.
    Meh (for me)
    - wi-fi (I have a blackberry)
    - Contacts, calendar, etc etc (I have a bb for this stuff)
    - Video (I use my psp)
    - Touch screen (not as important as I once thought)
    I have a BlackBerry as well. The iPod touch (and iPhone) integrate these things so tightly it's ridiculous. I absolutely hate browsing the internet on my BlackBerry because I'm limited to the mobile internet or an incredibly poor (read: useless) rendering of full web pages. Carry it with you for a while and try to use it in place of your BlackBerry. Doing this is driving me to get an iPhone the next time the hardware refreshes (looking for HSDPA).

cons
    - NO hdd support (hdd support was what originally brought me to ipods)
    - COST
    ITouch (in store) = 25.35 / GB!!!!
    ITouch (off a deal site) = 18.75/GB
    30gb Video (deal site $150 new in box) = $5.00/GB
    - Official Ipod accessories don’t work (FM wired remote that I bought a month ago for the 30gb video)
    - Non-itunes music management software does not seem to work with Itouch.
    Wow, a flash-based device costs more than a HDD-based device? Stunning. Not to mention, you're comparing apples to oranges here. The 30gb Classic is a completely different device than the touch. It's not as easy as comparing the per gigabyte cost. For the 'original iPod accessories don't work', it's because you bought a cheap device. Apple has long told developers that they need to have their devices officially licensed by them. Starting with the iPod touch, they've started checking if the device is actually licensed. All of mine worked just fine from when I bought them. Scream at your device manufacturer, not Apple for that one. If you're on Windows (and I suspect you are with the non-iTunes management gripe) I can understand your pain. iTunes for Windows sucks compared to the OS X counterpart. If you're on OS X ... why the hell are you trying to use something else? I tried when I switched to Mac last year and there just isn't anything that's even a whisper as robust as iTunes.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Did you really experience that big of a power trickle when the unit was sleeping? From what I remember, holding Play (or was it Menu) on the previous generations put the unit to sleep immediately.

Not really no. I just like being able to turn things off. This is a very minor, dare i say even irrational point, that is why I called it a pet peeve.
    Satan. wrote: »
    I have a BlackBerry as well. The iPod touch (and iPhone) integrate these things so tightly it's ridiculous. I absolutely hate browsing the internet on my BlackBerry because I'm limited to the mobile internet or an incredibly poor (read: useless) rendering of full web pages. Carry it with you for a while and try to use it in place of your BlackBerry. Doing this is driving me to get an iPhone the next time the hardware refreshes (looking for HSDPA).

I agree, and disagree.
    I agree because it is a thing of beauty.
    I disagree becasue In my day to day life I don't need wi-fi. The few times that I have to access the net outside of my office my BB has served me well.
    That way this was in the Meh category.

Wow, a flash-based device costs more than a HDD-based device? Stunning. Not to mention, you're comparing apples to oranges here. The 30gb Classic is a completely different device than the touch. It's not as easy as comparing the per gigabyte cost. For the 'original iPod accessories don't work', it's because you bought a cheap device. Apple has long told developers that they need to have their devices officially licensed by them. Starting with the iPod touch, they've started checking if the device is actually licensed. All of mine worked just fine from when I bought them. Scream at your device manufacturer, not Apple for that one. If you're on Windows (and I suspect you are with the non-iTunes management gripe) I can understand your pain. iTunes for Windows sucks compared to the OS X counterpart. If you're on OS X ... why the hell are you trying to use something else? I tried when I switched to Mac last year and there just isn't anything that's even a whisper as robust as iTunes.

I think it is pretty easy to compare. They both play mp3, photos and video. One is newer and cooler and one is older. :P

Also I'm comparing functionality vs. cost. For me the 5.5 video is a winner. Considering the pros and cons vs the cost I think (for me) a 5.5 is a better option.

Re. the accessory. It is the OFFICIAL APPLE PRODCUED wired remote (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DAB21BC0&fnode=home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/headphones&nplm=MA070G/D)

It seems to work with all the ipods except the touch.

And yes I'm a windows boy. Please don't get me wrong I think itunes as a program is ok. I just liked the fact that sharepod / anapod allowed me to manage my single ipod from my home computer or my ps. Hell with sharepod I could manage my ipod from any computer with a usb drive.

Now all of the above is when I'm taking about the touch. My analysis would likely change if we were talking about the iphone. But unfortunalty the iphone is not available in Canada. And even when it does get here it will cost a small fortune.

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I;m with Satan on this one: Apples to Oranges. The ipod Classic is a huge MP3 jukebox. The iPod Touch is being pitched as a music/video/PDA device. They're supposed to do different things.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Of course your with Satan, he is the father of lies. :|

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sansa e260 player on woot.com - $49
    Rhaspody to go - $14.99 /mo
    Listening to anything I want, whenever I want it - priceless

El Guaco on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Owning my music rather than renting it - Worth slightly more, I think.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »

So you're not talking about music from the iTunes Music Store, right?

Personally, I can't wait for an all-you-can-eat rental service.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Music from the iTS can at least be burnt to disc. Or if you buy the "iTunes Plus" tracks they're already free of DRM. I've never understood the rental services for music. It's probably just not "for" me.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Woah there skip, you're talking to somebody that collects vinyl. Ownership of music is something I take pretty seriously :)

iTMS is fine for the shite my GF listens to. I just see no attraction in paying for what is essentially the same service as last.fm. (by which I mean rental services)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Music from the iTS can at least be burnt to disc. Or if you buy the "iTunes Plus" tracks they're already free of DRM. I've never understood the rental services for music. It's probably just not "for" me.

I kinda "consume" music. I am ravenous to be fed more and more and more. I don't have any real wish to collect it, but I understand those that do. I like to collect books, even though I'll never read them again. That's why I don't want a Kindle.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I;m with Satan on this one: Apples to Oranges. The ipod Classic is a huge MP3 jukebox. The iPod Touch is being pitched as a music/video/PDA device. They're supposed to do different things.

I have to go with Satan on this one also: going along with my Cover Flow grievances, music is by far the weakest feature on the touch. Video is amazing (when video is properly converted, of course), the web browsing is practically genius, all the PDA features (address book/calendar/clock with stopwatch and countdown) are really well put together.... but music is almost like an after thought on this thing.

In the end, I keep both my nano loaded with music and my touch on me, in addition to my cell phone. Nano for music, phone for calling, email and texting and the touch for everything else. I have a little bit of music on the touch (just what I'm currently listening to) but a vast majority of my space is taken up by movies and TV shows. At the max, I've had 14 full length movies on here... right now I have 9 and a bunch of episodes of House and Arrested Development.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

If that's what floats yer boat. I personally find the cost of collecting music to be prohibitively high. I know people who have filled their iPods with thousands of songs. Considering the cost of a CD, or 99 cents per song, that's potentially thousands of dollars for the privilege of keeping music. Or I can spend $150 a year to listen to whatever I want, including all the stuff I bought years ago.

I've listened to a lot of music in the last few years that I never would have simply because of the cost involved in buying new music. It's just too risky. I can't tell you how many times I've passed on an album because even though I liked the single on the radio, I didn't want to spend $15 to see if the rest of it ruled or sucked. Now that cost is not an issue, I've discovered a TON of really good material by artists new and old, and the riskiest part is the loss of time, but that's easily fixed with the skip button and I'm off to something else.

I have several crates full of CD's that I haven't touched in the last few years since I've been using Rhapsody, and I haven't missed them at all because I've found an easier way of listening to them that doesn't involve a large library of physical things cluttering my apartment.

The future of digital media is not in sales & ownership. No, the future is listeners being able to choose a portal of media for a fee and those fees are paid to content providers as royalties. I sure wish the recording industry figures this out soon.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If Apple comes through with a similar setup to Nokia's "Comes With Music" surcharge, I am all about that.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I went to the store today and held a Touch in my hand. Good lord, you really can feel the 3mm difference. It's amazing. It feels much thinner than I thought it would be. I'm so glad I did, my mind is totally made up about getting a Touch and a separate phone.

Can't wait to get to CA so I can get my order into the Apple EDU Store :)

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So to not make another thread again. I've deleted all the files of all the songs that were duplicates... now I have a heck of a lot of exclamation marks littering my iTunes library.

Is there a way to sort the library so all the songs with that mark show up together?

Or can I just delete them in one go?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So to not make another thread again. I've deleted all the files of all the songs that were duplicates... now I have a heck of a lot of exclamation marks littering my iTunes library.

Is there a way to sort the library so all the songs with that mark show up together?

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Just passing through, so I don’t know what platform you’re on, but if you’re a Mac user this oughta do it.

The solution I’ve used in the past is to toggle the cover art in the sidebar, set it to ‘selected’, and just hold the down arrow. Once you’re sure you’ve got all the dead tracks start selecting twenty or so at a time and gradually weed them out. It’s pretty clumsy, but oh well.

Edit: You mention that you did this to eliminate duplicates, so View > Show Duplicates will probably reduce the number of tracks you need to check.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I summoned stilist because he's like, the iTunes guru around. So make use of him while he might be looking!

Satan. on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm thinking of the 32gb touch. Or should I wait for the eventual 32gb iPhone? Full internet everywhere seems like a big plus for me and is why I'd consider getting an iPhone and then I could just replace my phone and have everything in one device.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm thinking of the 32gb touch. Or should I wait for the eventual 32gb iPhone? Full internet everywhere seems like a big plus for me and is why I'd consider getting an iPhone and then I could just replace my phone and have everything in one device.
    Hard to say at this point. There’s some expectation that a 3G iPhone will be released this year; if that’s true it might well have a larger capacity.

I guess it primarily depends on whether you’re looking for something soon, or are willing to wait a few months to see what happens.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    Hard to say at this point. There’s some expectation that a 3G iPhone will be released this year; if that’s true it might well have a larger capacity.

I guess it primarily depends on whether you’re looking for something soon, or are willing to wait a few months to see what happens.
    I'm willing to grudgingly wait a few months while chomping at the bit for a new MP3 player. I need an MP3 player not a phone and was thinking about getting the touch, though I'm willing to pay more to get full internet anywhere which only comes on the iPhone. So I'm ok with throwing out my current phone and replacing it with an all in one device sort of as a cool bonus. Mainly I want an iPod touch, secondarily the net anywhere is a big deal for me, and the phone on top of that is just a bonus.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm willing to grudgingly wait a few months while chomping at the bit for a new MP3 player. I need an MP3 player not a phone and was thinking about getting the touch, though I'm willing to pay more to get full internet anywhere which only comes on the iPhone. So I'm ok with throwing out my current phone and replacing it with an all in one device sort of as a cool bonus. Mainly I want an iPod touch, secondarily the net anywhere is a big deal for me, and the phone on top of that is just a bonus.

Something to consider as well: not everyone has 3G access. Dig around on the intertubes a bit to find out when your area is getting it. www.howardforums.com, while a wretched hive of scum and villany, is a good place for this sort of information. My town won't be getting 3G this year (early 2009) at best so I'm not exactly holding out for a 3G iPhone. I'm hoping 3G does get announced, bringing the price of the EDGE-only iPhones down.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Just passing through, so I don’t know what platform you’re on, but if you’re a Mac user this oughta do it.

The solution I’ve used in the past is to toggle the cover art in the sidebar, set it to ‘selected’, and just hold the down arrow. Once you’re sure you’ve got all the dead tracks start selecting twenty or so at a time and gradually weed them out. It’s pretty clumsy, but oh well.

Edit: You mention that you did this to eliminate duplicates, so View > Show Duplicates will probably reduce the number of tracks you need to check.

I've got a windows machine. Also, its not deleting the dupes anymore thats the problem, but deleting the trackname. The dupes are gone, and iTunes still thinks theres a track there, but since theres not, nothing plays. If I could just organize it so all the ! tracks are in one place that would be great, but as it is now, I'd have to select every other track for over 10,000 songs. Way too time consuming.

Icemopper on