Options

My Appendix Was a Grendel!

Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Social Entropy++
So for like the past four or five months I've kept getting dreadfully sick. Doctors couldn't figure out why, nothing seemed to really work. It was like we needed Hugh Laurie to come save me or some shit but that wouldn't work because he's just an actor. A British actor.

But thankfully, we found the problem! Sunday morning around 4 AM I began vomiting uncontrollably. So we go to the emergency room. After a day of dicking around, we find out that my appendix has exploded! No, not ruptured. When the appendix ruptures, it just like gets a hole in it an leaks all it's poisonous shit out. Mine blew up - there were pieces of appendix melded to my spine and all over my abdominal region. Fucker infected the entirety of my gallbladder, too!

Oddly enough, this probably occurred something like two weeks ago. Two weeks! When someone's appendix ruptures, usually they die within like a few hours from the toxins. I lived 2 weeks, motherfucker! How's that feel?

So after having my gallbladder removed as well as the remains of my badass exploding appendix, I'm pretty okay now.

In all honesty I should be dead. But it's pretty cool that I'm not, right?

Vann Diras on

• Options
    NadsNads Bob Ducca Asleep in a cul-de-sac.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Useless ass organ, I say.

Nads on
    3c5d24e9-b7f2-44ba-bbf2-3b4658af70bd.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ask for a refund, i think yours was faulty

potatoe on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It doesn't really sound life threatening.

I mean, if your heart exploded and you lived two weeks, yeah, that would be something.

I mean, even if your liver or a kidney blew up, that would be something.

But an appendix just sounds lame.

sarukun on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You are awesomely rad.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    sarukun wrote: »

I mean, if your heart exploded and you lived two weeks, yeah, that would be something.

Let's blow up your organ and let deadly toxins flow throughout your body and see how long you go.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That seems like something a doctor should be able to identify a little faster.

mcp on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't thank me, thank THE KNIFE

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    almost died, huh?

better luck next time.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was really hoping this was a book thread.

GRMike on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, I'm glad you didn't die. Sounds like you went through hell getting up to this point

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Vann Diras wrote: »

Let's blow up your organ and let deadly toxins flow throughout your body and see how long you go.

I'm not saying it's not deadly

just that it doesn't sound particularly impressive.

If you say you got attacked by a deer, you sound like a faggot.

sarukun on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

If the contents enter your bloodstream you can be in serious shit.

Happened to me, it actuall ruptured when I slipped on the way to the bathroom from my hospital bed (after being in for uncontrollable vomiting and nausea for like 2 weeks solid)

Next thing I know I wake up its a day later and I have a scar on my side.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Unfortunately, the actually did replace his appendix with a grenade.

Let's see if he notices.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    how will you make bile without a gallbladder

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

If the contents enter your bloodstream you can be in serious shit.

Happened to me, it actuall ruptured when I slipped on the way to the bathroom from my hospital bed (after being in for uncontrollable vomiting and nausea for like 2 weeks solid)

Next thing I know I wake up its a day later and I have a scar on my side.

Look up.

sarukun on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

yes.
    lets.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    neville wrote: »

yes.
    lets.

I challenge you to fisticuffs you big ol' gay.

sarukun on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so you suing your incompetent doctors for not picking this up earlier?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

yes.
    lets.

First you must grow large, handlebar mustaches. In the meantime, I will construct an old-timey style boxing ring.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    mcp wrote: »
    That seems like something a doctor should be able to identify a little faster.

Interestingly enough, when I first arrived at the emergency room they had a couple guesses. Previous doctors had guessed appendicitis, but since I would get sick then get better over and over, they didn't want to open me up to make sure.

At one point, the hospital doctors thought it might be kidney stones. They took a CT scan and decided they wanted to take another to see if they could find the stones. They come back and my parents are all, "well? are there kidney stones."

the doctors were all, "no. No there are not." and from then on we knew about my incredible appendix.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    how will you make bile without a gallbladder

more like store and concentrate, not manufacture

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sue, get lots of money, buy us all stuff.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wren wrote: »

That's what I would do. I have only been a doctor (read: liar) for a few months, but appendicitis is the most common causes of abdomen pain and they usually check that out first. It could be bad gas and they check for an issue with the appendix. Now if the appendix is fucking missing... because it exploded... it wouldn't take them that long to figure out.

Edit: Was your FIRST CT scan this most recent trip to the hospital? WTF, we CT everybody who comes in just to say Hi now days. Where the hell do you live?

GRMike on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm almost positive the appendix used to do something awesome or it still does and we just haven't tapped its potential yet.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hunter wrote: »

yes.
    lets.

First you must grow large, handlebar mustaches. In the meantime, I will construct an old-timey style boxing ring.

I'm halfway there already.

I gotta get a really old, really thin wife beater and some suspenders.

sarukun on
  • Options
    IsaIsa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wait

don't you need your gallbladder D:

Isa on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm almost positive the appendix used to do something awesome or it still does and we just haven't tapped its potential yet.

Give this man a Nobel Prize.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

contains lymphatic tissue, might have something to do with controlling bacteria entering large intesting.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If I won any kind of prize for intelligence, I would never let you fuckers forget it.

Too bad I'm too lazy to actually get anything done. :|

EDIT- Yeah, we just finished up with the lymphatic, digestive, and immune systems, so I know about that part.

But c'mon, a near totally useless organ?

That's just silly

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    GRMike wrote: »

That's what I would do. I have only been a doctor (read: liar) for a few months, but appendicitis is the most common causes of abdomen pain and they usually check that out first. It could be bad gas and they check for an issue with the appendix. Now if the appendix is fucking missing... because it exploded... it wouldn't take them that long to figure out.

Edit: Was your FIRST CT scan this most recent trip to the hospital? WTF, we CT everybody who comes in just to say Hi now days. Where the hell do you live?

See now, awhile ago out doctor said he'd like to do exploratory surgery to see if it was appendicitis. At this point CT scans didn't tell him anything because I had a huge amount of inflammation blocking his view of the appendix. The other option was to take some drugs and see if it was just an infection.

Well, since I was feeling sick at all by then and Christmas was right around the corner, my parents chose the drugs.

In other news, I got my 18th birthday present early as a consolation prize for all this nonsense. New guitar yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Davoid wrote: »

contains lymphatic tissue, might have something to do with controlling bacteria entering large intesting.
    It's where God keeps your soul.

If you remove it, you're fucked.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If I won any kind of prize for intelligence, I would never let you fuckers forget it.

Too bad I'm too lazy to actually get anything done. :|

EDIT- Yeah, we just finished up with the lymphatic, digestive, and immune systems, so I know about that part.

But c'mon, a near totally useless organ?

That's just silly

most probably functional in early childhood in regulating bacterial growth in large intestine and colon. Somewhat useless later on.
    Isa wrote: »
    wait

don't you need your gallbladder D:

preferable to keep it, but, not really. There are complications in removal sometimes, but most times bile will be directly delivered from liver to intestine through the bile ducts

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

See now, awhile ago out doctor said he'd like to do exploratory surgery to see if it was appendicitis. At this point CT scans didn't tell him anything because I had a huge amount of inflammation blocking his view of the appendix. The other option was to take some drugs and see if it was just an infection.

Well, since I was feeling sick at all by then and Christmas was right around the corner, my parents chose the drugs.

In other news, I got my 18th birthday present early as a consolation prize for all this nonsense. New guitar yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Ah, well new guitar makes it all better. What kind?

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Organ is the wrong word, sorry.

Structure is more appropriate.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    mcp wrote: »
    Davoid wrote: »

It's where God keeps your soul.

If you remove it, you're fucked.

what does it mean when it blows up

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm actually somewhat worried about appendicitis, because it seems to develop so randomly and without warning. I have good health otherwise, but I expect the universe to pull some ironic shit on me.

Anyway, congrats on not dying. That's quite nice.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It means your soul is too awesome.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Strato wrote: »
    I'm actually somewhat worried about appendicitis, because it seems to develop so randomly and without warning. I have good health otherwise, but I expect the universe to pull some ironic shit on me.

Anyway, congrats on not dying. That's quite nice.

Kidney stones are worse, ha ha ha ha

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    who wants to form a punk rock band with me

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Ah, well new guitar makes it all better. What kind?
    LesPaulStandardO.jpg
    My beautiful Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Now I just need an amp of my own, and I'll be in business!

Vann Diras on