As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DS roguelike] You have failed me PA. (SHIREN THE WANDERER)

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zampano wrote: »
    Regarding the post game: I know of 3 of the side-dungeons: Final Puzzle, Scroll Cave and Kitchen God. Are there anymore? I figure those alone are going to take me forever anyway, but still. Just...tell me where they are, not what they are.
    I am aware of 3 more.
    One in the ruined city after beating table mountain.
    One apparantly unlocked through bungee jumping.
    One apparantly unlocked through talking to some people in the floor 15 village a lot.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hells yeah. Golden Condor GET.

Oh man, and it was epic too. I prepared my ass off for this run. Three days of runs between Canyon Valley and Mountaintop in order to build up a +15 Mastersword with Gold and Drain mods and a +9 Iron Shield with Gold and Hide mods. By the time I finished, they were +18 and +12, respectively. Six or seven Jars of Holding full of Riceballs, Scrolls, Staves and Dragon Herbs, and a fully leveled party, including a Pekeji who never once asked me for food. I was set.

My strategy evolved quickly. I had leveled up enough and earned enough equipment to basically adventure on my own while my party genocided the dungeon on their own. In the beginning I just walked around and cleared entire levels out without hardly doing anything. It was beautiful.

I lost Oryu early on, before the Stream Village. That put an end to that adventure. From that point on I was a little more cautious. Around floor 22 or so, I would up on a floor that was completely devoid of enemies. It had a large central chamber and several smaller sidechambers, but no inhabitants. I quickly moved ahead to the next floor, but the game was more cunning than I thought. I plummeted through a pitfall trap into the exact same floor layout, but this time it was a veritable bunker of Chainheads and Flamepuffs. I threw out a Confusion Scroll and did what I could, but before I could find the exit, Keichi was killed off by a Ghost Owl. Now I had to contend with a Dusk Owl, which I wore down from a distance with my supply of 80 wooden arrows as Pekeji wiped out the rest of the level. Now it was down to his muscle and my still formidable arsenal.

I lost Pekeji to a Minotaur in the maze on Floor 25. A Dragon Herb and a Pitcher's Armband ensured that he wouldn't die in vain, but now I was on my own. I blazed through the Three Trials thanks to my supply of Dragon Herbs, lobbing fireballs in all directions like I was Ryu, and pushed my way to the Plains of the Sun.

I was still not quite prepared for the final chamber, though. I expected a one on one match with the boss, not a battle between the boss and his army. I obliterated half of them with a pair of Blastwave Scrolls, then manuevered myself to lob the Mamel Meat I'd brought along just for the occassion, when the unthinkable happened:

I got Riceballed. God damn wizard zapped me when I was only a few squares away from the boss. I panicked and fled, having only been riceballed once before in the game, with dire consequences. Worse still, the wizard confused me, and a Tiger Uhono actually started lobbing the boss right at my grainular state. When I finally regained my human shape, I was in the red. That's when I remembered the Scroll of Need I picked up, waaaaay back in the beginning of the game. One glance at its text froze the entire horde and removed my confusion, and I ended the foul beast's reign in the manner most befitting his degenerate nature: I turned him into a Mamel and butchered him with extreme prejudice.

What a great game.

This thread needs more awesome stories like this.

I, too, turned the Tainted Insect into a mamel before ending his pitiful existence, but I sort of just... did it and ignored the rest of the room. Rather anticlimactic.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SqSq Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Regarding the post game: I know of 3 of the side-dungeons: Final Puzzle, Scroll Cave and Kitchen God. Are there anymore? I figure those alone are going to take me forever anyway, but still. Just...tell me where they are, not what they are.

All six of these require you to at least beat the game:

1. (Tainted Path) Talk to the foreign wanderer in Canyon Hamlet, then go back to floor 30 and explore for a different route out.
    2. (Kitchen God's Dungeon) Finish the Naoki sidequest (help him get settled in a new restaurant). Eventually this will open up a dungeon under Bufu's statue in Bamboo Village.
    3. (Scroll Cave) Do the Giabara sidequest. Giabara has a part in the quest above - I think you have to do that before this dungeon will open up in Giabara's house in Mountaintop Town.
    4. (Ravine of the Dead) Complete the bungee jumping sidequest which is started in Mountaintop Town, note you need to have Pekiji and only Pekiji for most of this sidequest to activate.
    5. (Ceremonial Cave) In Cryptic Rock Valley, visit the house in the NW everytime you go through. Eventually you will get a message when you head back to Canyon Hamlet that this dungeon is open
    6. (Fay's Final Puzzles) Beat all 50 of Fay's puzzles and complete both Bufu's Dungeon and Scroll Cave, then keep talking to Fay everytime you go back to Canyon Hamlet.

In #1 and #6 you can find a lot of rare items, while #2-#4 have unique items that can only be found in those dungeons. Also note that some dungeons take away your items and/or levels before entering, so make sure not to skip through the warning text before going in! For additional details, check out the shiren wiki.

Sq on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok, I've read two pages of this thread, and it convinced me of two things:

1) I need to buy a DS.
    2) I need to buy a DS so that I can buy Shiren and own like no owners have owned before!

This sounds balls-out fantastic! Wi-Fi?? Passwords in case Wi-Fi isn't available?! BLINDING WOMAN OF ULTIMATE POWER AND DESTRUCTION WITH A MORBID SENSE OF HUMOR?!

This is the cat's meow, seriously.

Fawst on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fawst wrote: »
    Ok, I've read two pages of this thread, and it convinced me of two things:

1) I need to buy a DS.
    2) I need to buy a DS so that I can buy Shiren and own like no owners have owned before!

This sounds balls-out fantastic! Wi-Fi?? Passwords in case Wi-Fi isn't available?! BLINDING WOMAN OF ULTIMATE POWER AND DESTRUCTION WITH A MORBID SENSE OF HUMOR?!

This is the cat's meow, seriously.

You can't own Mystery Dungeon. It owns you. I've been trying to beat this bitch for a month or two. I've got Castlevania and The World Ends With You, which both are not complete, but I keep coming back for Shiren punishment.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LordGekLordGek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

A cool rule of thumb another poster once pointed out, there is a dungeon entrance at every village or point of interest that the cart rider can give you a lift to (including the initial village itself).

LordGek on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, bungee jumping....
    I hearby promise if the rope breaks and I fall and lose everything and go back to Canyon Hamlet that I will not get angry and throw my DS.

I got a laugh out of that, but is the 2000 xp worth not having Oryu and Keichi in the party?

Cantido on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sq wrote: »

1. (Tainted Path) Talk to the foreign wanderer in Canyon Hamlet, then go back to floor 30 and explore for a different route out.
    2. (Kitchen God's Dungeon) Finish the Naoki sidequest (help him get settled in a new restaurant). Eventually this will open up a dungeon under Bufu's statue in Bamboo Village.
    3. (Scroll Cave) Do the Giabara sidequest. Giabara has a part in the quest above - I think you have to do that before this dungeon will open up in Giabara's house in Mountaintop Town.
    4. (Ravine of the Dead) Complete the bungee jumping sidequest which is started in Mountaintop Town, note you need to have Pekiji and only Pekiji for most of this sidequest to activate.
    5. (Ceremonial Cave) In Cryptic Rock Valley, visit the house in the NW everytime you go through. Eventually you will get a message when you head back to Canyon Hamlet that this dungeon is open
    6. (Fay's Final Puzzles) Beat all 50 of Fay's puzzles and complete both Bufu's Dungeon and Scroll Cave, then keep talking to Fay everytime you go back to Canyon Hamlet.

In #1 and #6 you can find a lot of rare items, while #2-#4 have unique items that can only be found in those dungeons. Also note that some dungeons take away your items and/or levels before entering, so make sure not to skip through the warning text before going in! For additional details, check out the shiren wiki.
    I think you're off on #6. I can go into the Final Puzzle and I haven't beaten any of the supplemental dungeons yet.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I think you're off on #6. I can go into the Final Puzzle and I haven't beaten any of the supplemental dungeons yet.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you really only need to unlock the Food and Trap Dungeons, definitely no need to clear them first.

LordGek on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I have a Plated, Razor Winded +25 Mastersword, +6 Iron Shield, a bunch of [5] Jars of Holding and a Scroll of Need waiting for me at Cryptic Rock. Once I successfully hoard some Dragon Herbs I think I can make the push to floor 30. I've only gotten to floor 28. The pigs kept rock-sniping me to death.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is your party well leveled?

This is especially important for Pekeji. Like I said in my TALE OF INTEREST, he never once asked me for food and could one or two hit kill just about anything that messed with him. It's incredible.

Kechi is nice to have as well, since he acts as a Chiropractic Jar, which is awfully handy. He's surprisingly strong too. But definitely Pekeji. He is an excellent time investment.

I think he's fully leveled when he talks about standing under a waterfall, since that's the point I'm at and he hasn't said anything different for half a dozen adventures.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kechi is nice to have as well, since he mostly acts as a Chiropractic Jar, which is awfully handy. He's surprisingly strong too. But definitely Pekeji. He is an excellent time investment.

Fixed.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pro tip:
    When heading for dungeons you can take gear into, farm up some backup gear first. It's a damn sight easier getting hold of spare swords and shields *before* you lose your only good weapon in a freak yachting accident ;)

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You might be right - the wiki doesn't mention having to beat Scoll Cave or Bufu's Dungeon for Fay to open up his Final Dungeon. For me, FFP didn't unlock until I had completed both of those, but that may have been a coincidence.
    Is your party well leveled?

This is especially important for Pekeji. Like I said in my TALE OF INTEREST, he never once asked me for food and could one or two hit kill just about anything that messed with him. It's incredible.

Kechi is nice to have as well, since he acts as a Chiropractic Jar, which is awfully handy. He's surprisingly strong too. But definitely Pekeji. He is an excellent time investment.

I think he's fully leveled when he talks about standing under a waterfall, since that's the point I'm at and he hasn't said anything different for half a dozen adventures.
    This is correct: Pekeji won't miss or ask for food anymore when he starts talking about standing under a waterfall. Until then, the fastest way to level him up is to feed him just once and then leave him behind when he gives up. Also, I believe Pekeji is the only party member who levels up (other than the secret, fourth companion that you get from beating Fay's Final Puzzle).

Be aware that there is a downside to having a party (especially a full party): they can & will be killed, which will level up the monster that killed them and make your life more difficult. This thread has more than a few tales of wanderers who died to a Popster Tank after it killed a party member or two and leveled up. Having a smaller party is less risky, and having no party is probably for the best once you have good enough equipment.

Sq on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    I have a Plated, Razor Winded +25 Mastersword, +6 Iron Shield, a bunch of [5] Jars of Holding and a Scroll of Need waiting for me at Cryptic Rock. Once I successfully hoard some Dragon Herbs I think I can make the push to floor 30. I've only gotten to floor 28. The pigs kept rock-sniping me to death.

That is in all honesty a better sword than you should need.
    Not that great a shield, mind you.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    You can't own Mystery Dungeon. It owns you. I've been trying to beat this bitch for a month or two. I've got Castlevania and The World Ends With You, which both are not complete, but I keep coming back for Shiren punishment.

It owned me so hard last week, that I had to walk away for a bit. I lost just about everything in the Ravine of Death looking for a Prism Shield and Homing Sword to meld. I was on floor 40 when I decided to eat a Cell Armor meat to try and knock away one of them from a monster. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a room with 4 Hell Dragons, and a bunch of other monsters. I had forgotten that when you eat a meat you lose access to your inventory and all of your armor and sword bonuses, and the bastards ganged up and killed me in just a few hits.

My +99 Firebrand and +70 Windshield were completely maxed out with all mods except those two. All my armbands, herbs of revival and invincibilty, blank scrolls, all maxed out staves, etc. It was absolutely heartbreaking, and such a dumb mistake. I haven't even been able to talk about it until now. :cry:

I'm starting to have the itch again though after seeing the Shiren 3 Wii and Shiren 2 DS info that LordGek posted. Plus, I still need to level up my little friend from Fay's Final, do the no storehouse run, and beat table mountain with all 3 characters support characters alive.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    0000-0000-6564, name is Shiren

Can anyone rescue me? I was in the Mines, and got Hidden Eye'd, and was carrying key items for grinding to Cryptic rock for my Mastersword. Depending on how well off I am at Cryptic Rock, I may take it and make the last push to floor 50.

Actually, you can only rescue 3 times in one run, so I'll just grind some more after the rescue.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    I'm starting to have the itch again though after seeing the Shiren 3 Wii and Shiren 2 DS info that LordGek posted. Plus, I still need to level up my little friend from Fay's Final, do the no storehouse run, and beat table mountain with all 3 characters support characters alive.
    Are those last 2 self-imposed conditions, or do you actually get in-game accomplishments for doing them?

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Are those last 2 self-imposed conditions, or do you actually get in-game accomplishments for doing them?
    Apparantly the no-storehouse-run unlocks the Destruction Scroll.
    I have yet to try.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I just want to say how much I LOVE this game. I haven't played my DS for like 2 years, heard about this game, picked it up, and am now having so much fun it should be illegal.

I'm gradually figuring things out, just got Jars of Melding unlocked, and now they're proving a bit bothersome. How on earth do you get more of them? I never see them for sale in the jar store, only chiropractic and holding and stuff. Yet you guys seem to be able to find them quite easily. Or are they those mysterious Triangular Jars I see there sometimes? But they cost like 7500 and I can never get that much money. Is there a way that I'm missing to store money in the storehouse?

So yeah, apologies for lots of questions, but I really wanna get past floor...30 I think it was, and my un-melded stuff just wasn't cutting it.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man, I just want to say how much I LOVE this game. I haven't played my DS for like 2 years, heard about this game, picked it up, and am now having so much fun it should be illegal.

I'm gradually figuring things out, just got Jars of Melding unlocked, and now they're proving a bit bothersome. How on earth do you get more of them? I never see them for sale in the jar store, only chiropractic and holding and stuff. Yet you guys seem to be able to find them quite easily. Or are they those mysterious Triangular Jars I see there sometimes? But they cost like 7500 and I can never get that much money. Is there a way that I'm missing to store money in the storehouse?

So yeah, apologies for lots of questions, but I really wanna get past floor...30 I think it was, and my un-melded stuff just wasn't cutting it.

That's them.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

That's them.

Ooooh, of course, cheers for that. So I'm guessing there's no way to store money between runs? Cause there was this one time I was carrying too much stuff, and some money got put into my inventory as an item, so maybe...?

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've only done the bungee once, is there a slim possibility of death, or is the very sweet (now that I have no armband of happiness) 2000xp guaranteed.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

That's them.

Ooooh, of course, cheers for that. So I'm guessing there's no way to store money between runs? Cause there was this one time I was carrying too much stuff, and some money got put into my inventory as an item, so maybe...?

Run back and forth between Canyon Hamlet and Mountaintop a few times, and sell everything you don't need. You'll make money fairly quickly. Your level resets to 1 when you go back to Canyon Hamlet but you'll keep all your items and money. A Happy Armband will make this much easier if you have one.

elevature on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ravine of the Dead FINISHED! Man that was a fun lil trek. First time I went in, I had a +30 armor ward, and like +50 mastersword. I eventually died to cranky tanks.

This time, I went in with a bufu cleaver mod on my weapon, and it was much easier. I used a evil general meat when I needed an extra life, and ark dragon meat a few times to kill stuff. Overall the trap armband was my MVP, since I could use it in Monster Houses to avoid dying, and in the main areas to avoid having everything I owned cursed.

Now for the tainted path...

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    elevature wrote: »

That's them.

Run back and forth between Canyon Hamlet and Mountaintop a few times, and sell everything you don't need. You'll make money fairly quickly. Your level resets to 1 when you go back to Canyon Hamlet but you'll keep all your items and money. A Happy Armband will make this much easier if you have one.

That is excellent information - I had it in my head that returning to Canyon Hamlet on foot would take all my gear. Not sure why I thought that, but it'll make paying off Naoki much easier. Thanks for that.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Guess what was the second best selling game in Japan last week?
    Mysterious Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 3 (Sega) - 59,000

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Guess what was the second best selling game in Japan last week?
    Mysterious Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 3 (Sega) - 59,000

It is great and I can confirm 100% compatible with the US version of Free Loader (you can even do the Wi-Fi stuff)!

LordGek on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Ravine of the Dead FINISHED! Man that was a fun lil trek. First time I went in, I had a +30 armor ward, and like +50 mastersword. I eventually died to cranky tanks.

This time, I went in with a bufu cleaver mod on my weapon, and it was much easier. I used a evil general meat when I needed an extra life, and ark dragon meat a few times to kill stuff. Overall the trap armband was my MVP, since I could use it in Monster Houses to avoid dying, and in the main areas to avoid having everything I owned cursed.

The Bufu Cleaver is probably the single best sword mod (if you haven't done Bufu's Dungeon yet: try to finish that with at least three, if possible). The next best mod would be the homing mod... speaking of which, did you find one there in the Ravine of the Dead? If not, its worth a repeat trip. You can only find them there, above floor 40. Same goes for the Prism Shield & Gaze Shield, two very excellent shield mods. The nice thing about this dungeon is that you can repeat floor 50 over and over until you find all three (just make sure you have a dragonward on your shield so the Hell Dragons don't kill you before you find them).
    My +99 Firebrand and +70 Windshield were completely maxed out with all mods except those two. All my armbands, herbs of revival and invincibilty, blank scrolls, all maxed out staves, etc. It was absolutely heartbreaking, and such a dumb mistake. I haven't even been able to talk about it until now. :cry:
    I have a spare Stormward sitting in my Canyon Hamlet storehouse, laying on top of my dragon's hoard (read: items to give out with rescue revival spells). You can have it if you'd like - payment for all the times you've helped me and everyone else here in the past. ;-)

Sq on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does anyone know how pickpockets and the like spawn on a level? Do they only spawn when the level is first created, or do they have a chance of spawning after you clean it out, like other mobs? I'm trying to gather up some riceballs so that I can grind around before the point of no return, but I'm low on money, and I've already explored all the levels and got their equipment and such.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    AoeberskullAoeberskull Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, after reading the posts on this thread I decided to give this game a go, never having touched on rougelikes before and I certainly do not regret that decision, its a blast! I honestly think this is the most exhilarating game I have played in a long time (I'm such a glutton for punishment apparently)

Anyway, my seventh run and the most lucrative and morally ambiguous yet :P
    After stockpiling on riceballs using the Fay dungeon... ahem.... game mechanic abuse
    I was all set on a mighty adventure. Having no real items of much worth in my warehouse (well the drain killer +1 is pretty spiffy, well to me at least) I merely had the goal of getting enough cool items and a one or two warehouse pots to transfer them back. Also a befitting warriors death wouldn't hurt either.
    Had a good romp all the way to the mines after the third village, aiding those in need, and swearing a vendetta on that
    bloody wench that blinded me for the second BLOODY TIME!!!! She will pay...

Anyway, met this girl being lost in the mines and let her tag along. Then I found a shopkeeper that was selling his wares in the middle of the dungeon, with the floor's exit right outside the shop... this was just too tempting. Feeling confident, I whipped out my staff of switching and transported myself right near the exit, but not before looting his most expensive kit! This of course sent the shopkeeper into a furious rage which he decided to went on the poor girl that I carelessly left behind in the shop... better her then me eh? :lol: Got myself a nice armor ward +1, a master sword and some anti drain and anti rust amulets that way! Huzzah! I was so happy I wasn't even phased by the girl's parents mourning at the next town's exit!

Cause of my ill gotten lewt the next several floors where a cakewalk, with my amulets protecting me rust and level drain monsters in the swamp and my ward providing excellent protection. The second monster house I encountered in table mountains base was easy enough to conquer due to my scrolls of light and confusion! Confidently strolling in to loot the place I step on a trap and am turned into a humble riceball after which I carelessly step in a pitfall trap without getting a single item :( Oh the feelings this game induces at moments like those. But there was no time to mourn and I strolled onward on my quest for the holy warehouse pot to transfer my amulets. Alas, a feeling of cockiness arose again in the first floor after waterfall village. After being pounded by several beasties a bell monster summons a piggy - a monster that doesn't exactly look like the ranged attack type. In the red, I stupidly decide to reposition myself in a doorway before healing myself and got a surprise rock in the head from that goddamn piggy, killing me instantly before I could finish my quest D:. A warrior cannot die by a cowards hands like that!

I know that nobody likes using the passwords, but I am unable to connect to the internet with the ds Im afraid... please help this humble warrior to a more fitting demise!

the password is:
    KK86C 7TM3 H8BB5
    W3DJ0 !ZL0 2WTTY
    V21R9 M6R9 8TC4V
    C9KWY 2V3F W5F10

By the way, are there only warehouses in the first two villages? Have been searching for them in others to no avail.

Awesome this game is indeed!

Aoeberskull on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Getting the lost girl back to her parents gets you the third warehouse.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AoeberskullAoeberskull Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Getting the lost girl back to her parents gets you the third warehouse.

It does? Guess I have to behave less like a total dick then :P

Aoeberskull on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tcheldor wrote: »

The Bufu Cleaver is probably the single best sword mod (if you haven't done Bufu's Dungeon yet: try to finish that with at least three, if possible). The next best mod would be the homing mod... speaking of which, did you find one there in the Ravine of the Dead? If not, its worth a repeat trip. You can only find them there, above floor 40. Same goes for the Prism Shield & Gaze Shield, two very excellent shield mods. The nice thing about this dungeon is that you can repeat floor 50 over and over until you find all three (just make sure you have a dragonward on your shield so the Hell Dragons don't kill you before you find them).
    I have a spare Stormward sitting in my Canyon Hamlet storehouse, laying on top of my dragon's hoard (read: items to give out with rescue revival spells). You can have it if you'd like - payment for all the times you've helped me and everyone else here in the past. ;-)

Wow, yeah! That'd be awesome! I'll start an iron man run and see how far I can get on equipment I pick up along the way. I'll give you a shout once I die horribly. :)

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man, after reading the posts on this thread I decided to give this game a go, never having touched on rougelikes before and I certainly do not regret that decision, its a blast! I honestly think this is the most exhilarating game I have played in a long time (I'm such a glutton for punishment apparently)

Anyway, my seventh run and the most lucrative and morally ambiguous yet :P
    After stockpiling on riceballs using the Fay dungeon... ahem.... game mechanic abuse
    I was all set on a mighty adventure. Having no real items of much worth in my warehouse (well the drain killer +1 is pretty spiffy, well to me at least) I merely had the goal of getting enough cool items and a one or two warehouse pots to transfer them back. Also a befitting warriors death wouldn't hurt either.
    Had a good romp all the way to the mines after the third village, aiding those in need, and swearing a vendetta on that
    bloody wench that blinded me for the second BLOODY TIME!!!! She will pay...
    Keep working on that character. Something good will happen as a result.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nevermind, I figured out my selling problem. Anyway, just bought it today and I love it.

When you do Fey's quests, do you get to keep your weapons eqipped? Or are they gone too?

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Nevermind, I figured out my selling problem. Anyway, just bought it today and I love it.

When you do Fey's quests, do you get to keep your weapons eqipped? Or are they gone too?

They're all removed and never returned. Be very careful with Fey's.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So the first time I did kitchen god, I aced it without a problem. This was long ago, and I remember actually discarding one of my bufu knives -4 thinking that if I ever needed another, I'd just ace the kitchen god again.

I finally did it again tonight after about 12 fucking tries. I have no idea how I found it so easy last time, since it raped me every single time I tried recently. This time I went in with 200 max fullness, 14 strength (the real secret) and starting at level 24. I left with 20 charges worth of bufu staff which I melded, 5 bufu knives so that I never ever EVER have to do that horrible dungeon again and a host of other good loot.

It's pretty much the cranky tanks which do it every time. Cranky tank meat is such a beast. Gaze meat is also awesome, same with hell reaper, and mini tank (almost as good as cranky tank imo).

I went on to do ravine of the dead on my first try. I'll have to jump back in with my fancy new firebrand+79 and armour ward+55. I've got a backup armour ward+55 with all the good mods (1/2 hunger, explosion, thievery are my favourites), and a backup mastersword+10 with razor, picking, crit, anti-air (the best), anti-bomb (so, so handy), and some more. I honestly don't care if I die now, since I have so much backup gear. I've got another spare unbreakable pickaxe, razor wind, 2 sight armbands, a happy armband, every type of staff and jar for ID purposes, a few blank scrolls and some other goodies like blast shield, sickle slayers etc.

I actually found a jar today which I'd never seen. It could have been either a melding jar (which I had none of), or something else, strengthening? ID? Do these jars appear before level 15?

I'm loving this game more and more, I'm already 75 hours in. Might do a few rescues next. What I love most is that even with this seemingly unbeatable gear, the game still throws stuff at you which, if you don't use your head, causes swift and shocking death.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can someone rescue me? It's super early in the game, the first screen past Mountaintop Town, but as soon as I went in I was swarmed by monsters. I did however have a +4 Katana and +2 shield that seemed good....

Anyway, password is :

2H1BG N8HG 888QD
    WVFFD 2NRH LQYR5
    R4146 GC80 R042B
    XM4Y4 KH!4 C1C10

Edit: Assuming I am rescued, does it just plop me right back down surrounded by monsters, or put me in the village?

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey guys. I'm late to the party but I just picked this up a few days ago. Haven't had any gear worth rescuing yet, but I've got a question about the couriers. I had a bad feeling about my most recent run, so I gave the courier a holding jar with my +10 mastersword and some other gear I wanted saved. He took it, but then when I died, none of my gear was in the 1st town! Does the courier only take items to town 2's storehouse?

Szechuan on