As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Persona / Megami Tensei discussion | Alice: the great equalizer

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Was that really necessary?
    How long is the DDS reprint likely to remain in stock? I can't afford the game right now, but I could in a month.

And I'm still in the midst of Persona 3 anyway, and only in August.

Nocturne's still available, so I think you have time.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    So the DDS1 reprint on play-asia is now available. This is the chance for everybody who missed it to experience a great game with one of the worst final dungeons of all time.

Is DDS2 going to get a reprint as well? That's what I missed out on.

cheez on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Was that really necessary?

judaswm0.gif
    atlusguyjy7.gif

I'd like to think so.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Which one is Naoto again? The idol?

Edit: Oh, nope, it's the nazi-trap.

Edit2:
    I bet s/he's the villain.

KiTA on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cheez wrote: »
    So the DDS1 reprint on play-asia is now available. This is the chance for everybody who missed it to experience a great game with one of the worst final dungeons of all time.

I saw DDS2 new in stores around here as recently as last week. It's rare, but not quite gone.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Enix Japan had a good reason to be afraid of Enix US -- I forget the name of it, but apparently Enix US released some god awful licensed RPG and was working on another one without Enix JP being aware of it. They saw it and pulled the plug on them real quick.

I'm curious as to what this game could be, because a quick look over the list of Eniz games doesn't reveal anything that fits with what you described. Anybody know anything else about this?

Schide on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I saw DDS2 new in stores around here as recently as last week. It's rare, but not quite gone.

According to the e-mail I got from Playasia, both DDS1 and 2 got reprinted and are for sale on their site.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I saw a DDS2 new in a Gamestop for $20. But since you apparently need both to have a full game...no thanks.

Schide on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    Enix Japan had a good reason to be afraid of Enix US -- I forget the name of it, but apparently Enix US released some god awful licensed RPG and was working on another one without Enix JP being aware of it. They saw it and pulled the plug on them real quick.

I'm curious as to what this game could be, because a quick look over the list of Eniz games doesn't reveal anything that fits with what you described. Anybody know anything else about this?
    Enix America Corporation was the corporation's first American localization subsidiary. It was organized after the release of Dragon Warrior by Nintendo of America in 1989. The subsidiary came into existence in 1990, but closed in November 1995 when the parent company decided to no longer release products in North America.[5] One of the game they published, King Arthur & the Knights of Justice, was Enix's first and only North America exclusive game.[6]

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/588420.asp

55%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur_&_the_Knights_of_Justice_(video_game)
    Video game magazines Nintendo Power and Electronic Gaming Monthly gave the title a score of 2.68 out of 5 and 5.62 out of 10 respectively,[13] while the website Allgame rated it 3 out of 5 stars.[14] Freelance critic Robert Schmitz[15] gave the title a score of 0.5 out of 11, calling it "awful" and explaining the game is almost "better left unsaid". Schmitz blamed Enix's decision to base the game on a little-known cartoon series,[16] a comment echoed by both the Video Game Bible[17] and Allan Milligan, in a review for the Gaming Intelligence Agency, who noted that the game was released after the cartoon's finale.[3]

Remember, this was still back when Amerika = BAD according to 99.9% of Japanese gaming companies, so... yeah. They closed Enix America Corporation down real quick after that.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I saw a DDS2 new in a Gamestop for $20. But since you apparently need both to have a full game...no thanks.

Man, buy it, then don't play it until you have the first.

I saw a used copy of DDS 1 at a Gamestop months ago and nearly at my hat, but it turned out the box had been lost and the disk was covered in scratches and saturated with grime.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    BURSAR... WHYYYYYYYYYYY!?

1) Hey, that wasn't me. If I was there, I still wouldn't have let you in, but I'd be all "Sorry" instead of "GET OUT," though I did kick out some guys who tried to rush the exit when someone left.
    2) We were only allowed to have so many people in the auditorium at once. I'm not sure why people weren't allowed in as others left, probably to keep the noise level down and prevent people from wandering around up and down the rows during the panel.
    3) BECAUSE WE CAN... BWAHAHAHA

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Enix America Corporation was the corporation's first American localization subsidiary. It was organized after the release of Dragon Warrior by Nintendo of America in 1989. The subsidiary came into existence in 1990, but closed in November 1995 when the parent company decided to no longer release products in North America.[5] One of the game they published, King Arthur & the Knights of Justice, was Enix's first and only North America exclusive game.[6]

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/588420.asp

55%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur_&_the_Knights_of_Justice_(video_game)
    Video game magazines Nintendo Power and Electronic Gaming Monthly gave the title a score of 2.68 out of 5 and 5.62 out of 10 respectively,[13] while the website Allgame rated it 3 out of 5 stars.[14] Freelance critic Robert Schmitz[15] gave the title a score of 0.5 out of 11, calling it "awful" and explaining the game is almost "better left unsaid". Schmitz blamed Enix's decision to base the game on a little-known cartoon series,[16] a comment echoed by both the Video Game Bible[17] and Allan Milligan, in a review for the Gaming Intelligence Agency, who noted that the game was released after the cartoon's finale.[3]

Remember, this was still back when Amerika = BAD according to 99.9% of Japanese gaming companies, so... yeah. They closed Enix America Corporation down real quick after that.

Haha, oh god I remember that game. I didn't think it was an RPG though...oh, it's kind of adventurey. Yeah, I remember that getting pretty awful reviews, so I never bothered playing it. Huh, I should have spotted that, it's right there on the list. Oh well. Thanks.

Huh, looking at that list, I should totally play Robotrek again. Never did manage to beat the thing.

Schide on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    I haven't played FFXII, so I can't speak on account of it having more dialogue than the average Atlus/NIS game, but I bet writing the biographies on all those Persona takes a lot of time, especially if they have to do additional research on the religions and what not.

Also, Atlus/NIS are much smaller companies, especially in terms of staff(at least, I imagine that's the case).

Well from the Disgaea panel, NIS has two script writers (one being Houk), and they basically write non-stop.

Guys, if Houk is at PAX, sing his praises to the heavens and dump your girlfriends in ways that make him look good.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If Houk is at PAX, he's signing my copy of Rhapsody PS1.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If Houk is at PAX, he's signing my copy of Rhapsody PS1.

"WHOA! Rhapsody? Where'd you get that from?"

Just like this

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus, your avatar and sig are slowly festering upon my eternal soul.
    Where did you find this and who should I kill?

The DDS reprint reminds me that I became interested in the SMT series after hearing the Heroic Theme from the second game, which I had heard while perusing the Boss Themes compilation. The same thing was with AC series.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    According to the e-mail I got from Playasia, both DDS1 and 2 got reprinted and are for sale on their site.
    Really? I checked play asia a little while ago when I heard about the DDS1 and it said 2 was still out of print.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hello! Amazon.com has a deal of the day, every day.

And today's deal is NOCTURNE!

Ten bucks off of Nocturne, so you can pick it up for $30! That's how much Persona 3 FES costs!

Buy both for under $60!

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can't tell if I'm more surprised it's $30 now, that it was $40 before, or that they actually have it.

Elendil on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    I can't tell if I'm more surprised it's $30 now, that it was $40 before, or that they actually have it.

This.

I was really happy to pay $50 when we first found out about the reprint from Play-Asia. That I'm considering buying it again really speaks volumes as to how difficult the game was to find, how good of a deal this is, and how ridiculous I am.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    thanks for the link, ordered it.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    thanks for the link, ordered it.

No problem. I check Amazon's deal of the day for video games every day, just incase they offer up something awesome, like this!

I was lucky enough to find Nocturne used at Gamestop a month ago. At the time I knew I wouldn't have the spare time to play it for a while, but I saw it on the shelf and had to grab it, knowing how rare it is.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Damn you! I've spent too much on games this month already!

Why did I read this thread today? D:

At least I got my HST rebate.

Edit: Ah, saved by Amazon.com not shipping games to Canada! For certain sucky definitions of saved. :(

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I actually checked the deal of the day every day, I'd blow way too much money. In fact, I was restricting myself to buying 1 game a month already and this makes two since I will buy SCIV. . .though that does come out at the end of the month so I could sort of count it as august (no one remind me when vesperia comes out).

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If I actually checked the deal of the day every day, I'd blow way too much money. In fact, I was restricting myself to buying 1 game a month already and this makes two since I will buy SCIV. . .though that does come out at the end of the month so I could sort of count it as august (no one remind me when vesperia comes out).

It is mostly crap that they put up for the deal of the day. Games I won't buy if they were $1.00. Sometimes it is a game I want, but the deal isn't good enough.

I just check it and wait till something like this happens. I am pissed cause I paid more for it used at Gamestop than I would have if I bought it new from Amazon. :(

I almost want to buy it again so I can have a new copy without all the damn stickers on the case and insert!

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What's Nocturne like, exactly? From the descriptions I've read, it's a bit like Persona 3 with a heavier focus on battling and tougher battles, which doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in since the social links are what I enjoy most about the game I'm playing right now.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What's Nocturne like, exactly? From the descriptions I've read, it's a bit like Persona 3 with a heavier focus on battling and tougher battles, which doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in since the social links are what I enjoy most about the game I'm playing right now.

Yeah, if you like the S-Links of Persona 3, then Nocturne is not for you. I love Nocturne, but it is certainly a very dark and minimalist game in terms of story and interaction with other characters. A lot of the mood of Nocturne is established in the music and gameworld's design, which helps in making the player feel alone (it is a post apocalyptic world).

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What about Digital Devil Saga? How does that compare to Persona 3?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

DDS is sorta like Nocturne in that the world is dead and there's relatively little in the way of conversation or non-combat sidequests, but you do have a fully customizable party.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Darklyre wrote: »

DDS is sorta like Nocturne in that the world is dead and there's relatively little in the way of conversation or non-combat sidequests, but you do have a fully customizable party.

To be fair, though, DDS does have more story scenes and at least the party members talk to each other. Nocturne provides almost no character interaction. DDS is probably a middle ground between the two. None of the other SMT games are going to have the same depth of character interaction as Persona 3 does.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Devil Summoner has a good amount of character, since one of the most important parts of gameplay is using demons to get information out of townspeople.

Not up to P3's standards, but the story is one of the more fun parts of the game(fluid Action-RPG gameplay aside).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nocturne is a weird cookie alright, but the willing are rewarded.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Big ass P4 spoilers in the form of character portrait rips behind this spoiler:
    Click me.

• You're one beefy Marilyn Monroe, Kanji.
    • Naoto's indeed a reverse trap
    • Run-over Kuma :b

This is going to be a weird game, even by SMT standards.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Click me.

...could you define big ass? Are we talking, like, "OH MY GOD [character x] GETS KILLED!" or are we talking "Holy shit! I didn't know [character y] was in this!"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's pictures of 12 people who I assume are in the game. I recognized 1 from P3.

captaink on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Elendil wrote: »

I believe that Blackjack and I both got it from Amazon back in early May. It was mentioned in the previous thread in fact.
    captaink wrote: »
    It's pictures of 12 people who I assume are in the game. I recognized 1 from P3.

Some of whom are cross dressing.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok, they're somewhat big ass spoilers, but still.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Click me.

Lools like the (kinda spoiler, I guess, but nothing we don't already know)
    shadow version
    of each of the characters plus some other interesting things...
    I never really saw where people were getting the Naoto = reverse trap thing from but I guess it is hard to deny it with that portrait. Also, further confirmation of Kanji's, erm, preferences and Kuma's inherent creepiness. And is that bottom middle portrait supposed to be Alice?

EDIT: @ Robos, you really owe it to yourself to at least try Nocturne. Yes, it does focus more (some would say primarily) on battles but the gameplay, battle system, and customization is just so much more in depth than any RPG out there and the overall atmosphere of the game is amazing.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wait, so you're saying that's going to be playing every time you fight a battle? Wow, good thing I don't listen to games anymore, if I end up getting this game.

Schide on