As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sins of a Solar Empire - totally not Homeworld 3

1434445464749»

• Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Starwars mod will be ok if the guy makes the gravity wells f'ing smaller. Holy hell they are way way to big. On most maps they over lap other planets gravity wells so you get some seriously fucked up movement.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The one thing that keeps me from enjoying this game is the lack of defensive options. Lategame, roaming fleets of planet rapers will be able to utterly mutilate all your planets and there is nothing you can do to stop them. Once they reach critical mass, they'll enter a system, nuke the planet and be on their way to the next one in under 30 seconds. No matter how many turrets you have, you won't be able to stop them. Even if they ram straight into your dedicated ship killing fleet, you'll only manage to knock a few of them out before they run off. If they fix it so large maps don't turn into a retarded boxing match with planet killers roaming around eachothers systems, I'll be all for it.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The one thing that keeps me from enjoying this game is the lack of defensive options. Lategame, roaming fleets of planet rapers will be able to utterly mutilate all your planets and there is nothing you can do to stop them. Once they reach critical mass, they'll enter a system, nuke the planet and be on their way to the next one in under 30 seconds. No matter how many turrets you have, you won't be able to stop them. Even if they ram straight into your dedicated ship killing fleet, you'll only manage to knock a few of them out before they run off. If they fix it so large maps don't turn into a retarded boxing match with planet killers roaming around eachothers systems, I'll be all for it.

Which is why I'm so excited for the Entrenched expansion, it will supposedly add much more to planet defenses.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've already preordered it- but I'm still anxious for the campaign they announced.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Based on the legnth of current games, I imagine a campaign will take a few months to complete.

Arrath on
  • Options
    GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Which would be glorious. :)

Glocjt on
  • Options
    OberonOberon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tried playing it with a friend 1v1, but after an hour we quit and uninstalled both copies. Tedious interface, unbalanced AI opponents, lousy gameplay, second-rate graphics. *sigh* more and more I'm getting burned by shamelessly slanted game reviews. I wish developers would put out more playable demos. I know they're a pain to produce but I'm getting tired of giving my money to the undeserving.

Oberon on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

Which is why I'm so excited for the Entrenched expansion, it will supposedly add much more to planet defenses.

I'd pre-order a real expansion, but Entrenchment sounds like a glorified mod to me. So much for the "reward the customer with free updates" philosophy.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tried playing it with a friend 1v1, but after an hour we quit and uninstalled both copies. Tedious interface, unbalanced AI opponents, lousy gameplay, second-rate graphics. *sigh* more and more I'm getting burned by shamelessly slanted game reviews. I wish developers would put out more playable demos. I know they're a pain to produce but I'm getting tired of giving my money to the undeserving.

Maybe you just have terrible taste

Ever think of that

Huh

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I admit, I didn't enjoy Sins at first. It was overwhelming. Then after a few games, I realised how amazing it really was, and it was entirely worth my money.

I suggest you install that game again, play through the tutorials, and play against some easy/normal PCs.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I admit, I didn't enjoy Sins at first. It was overwhelming. Then after a few games, I realised how amazing it really was, and it was entirely worth my money.

I suggest you install that game again, play through the tutorials, and play against some easy/normal PCs.

Agreed. Play a few 1v1 games on the small map vs the AI, be sure to out bid him on the pirate waves, or turn pirates off if you've patched it and don't want to have to contend with them at all. Personally though I'd leave the pirates on and just make sure to win the bids and have the pirates attacking the AI, it gives you enough breathing room to build your fleets and move in on his territory.

A pretty much generic build order for when you start a new game is:

1. Buy 200 crystal off the black market.
    2. Build Cap ship factory, and while it's building queue up a colonize ship (unless you're advent then build anything but that as your free ship, that thing is so underpowered, even the space whale of the vasari is better).
    3. Upgrade your planets population max (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, the man looking icon under the planet menu)
    4. Build crystal extractor
    5. Wait for money, then metal.
    6. Build scout ship and it will pop out before you get enough money to build the next metal (i think)
    7. Build the other metal extractor.
    8. Hopefully when you sent your scout out you found the closest asteroid first, send your cap ship towards it and it can solo anything around there. If you built the colony cap ship you can then move it on to another asteroid as soon as it defeats the guards and caps the first one.

Then go from there.

The first cap ship in the list of all races can usually solo any of the AI guarding a planet, but it will take ages and will almost die in the process.

If you are playing the v1.00 you can tech to the long range fighters of any race and just build only those and win against the AI. They lowered their survivability in subsequent patches so that is no longer a viable tactic :P

If you're playing Advent tech to their heavy cruiser and get malice (i think). The AI is stupid enough to leave their ships bunched up and the cruisers malice ability will shred their fleet to pieces with 10+ cruisers.

TEC (or anyone, but TEC can do it fastest) can rush to trade stations asap and then build 2x trade stations around your first 5 planets and you'll almost never have to worry about credits again for the rest of the game as long as every planet from then on gets at least 1. Be sure to get the tech that lowers the cost of items from black market (level 4 civ tech along the bottom row i think) and you can easily supplement your metal/crystal via the BM.

For Vasari tech your way to returning armada asap and make sure each planet has it's own phase gate, you'll have more ships than you can handle in no time. Be careful doing this though because you'll use up your fleet limit insanely fast and you may not be able to build the ships you need (eg your planet bombers die and now you can't build them cause you're at -121 fleet).

I'd like to play more games with my mates instead of just AI as allies, but they're slack.. I think I need new friends.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just bought this game and every time I pop in the disc and install it, it says "error" and shuts down the installation. This isn't as big of a deal as it could be, since a friend of mine has the game and all you really buy is the CD key, so I could use his disc to install. Still, it's a pain in the ass. Anyone know a way around this?

Spoom182 on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spoom182 wrote: »
    I just bought this game and every time I pop in the disc and install it, it says "error" and shuts down the installation. This isn't as big of a deal as it could be, since a friend of mine has the game and all you really buy is the CD key, so I could use his disc to install. Still, it's a pain in the ass. Anyone know a way around this?

Register the CD key with Stardock Central and download from there.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Spoom182 wrote: »

Register the CD key with Stardock Central and download from there.

Good thing about Stardock, unlike with most other companies you really have purchased the licence, and they don't seem to have any qualms about giving you a copy of the game again if you've lost the original or have problems with the CD. Heck, it's part of their "Gamer Manifesto" now that you should have the right to return the game for a refund if it doesn't work.

You can download as many times as you want from wherever you want, Impulse (Stardock's distribution and store system) is a bit like Steam in that respect.

subedii on
  • Options
    Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks, I got it working.

Spoom182 on
This discussion has been closed.