Options

Banned from the EA forums? Be prepared to lose access to ALL your PC games.

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Boredom wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Y'know, all these people taking the attitude of "it doesn't matter to me, therefore I don't care" are exactly the kind of people that disgrace the human race. It doesn't fucking matter if it will ever happen to you, it matters if it's wrong on principle. This is wrong ON PRINCIPLE, so you should fight it instead of being lazy, self-interested apathetic dicks.

Thread win.

But that's the thing, we don't think it's wrong on principle. If people don't want to get banned, don't be a complete moron.

rayofash on
  • Options
    BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    rayofash wrote: »
    Y'know, all these people taking the attitude of "it doesn't matter to me, therefore I don't care" are exactly the kind of people that disgrace the human race. It doesn't fucking matter if it will ever happen to you, it matters if it's wrong on principle. This is wrong ON PRINCIPLE, so you should fight it instead of being lazy, self-interested apathetic dicks.

Thread win.

But that's the thing, we don't think it's wrong on principle. If people don't want to get banned, don't be a complete moron.

That's understandable, but you're in the minority as far as that side of things goes. Most people who think this is acceptable are acting like the care police, with "why do you care" as the primary argument and I find that annoying.

The way these forums are is a bunch of people come into threads and criticize you for the mere fact of caring about something, as in perish the thought that anything should be legitimately arguable with arguments from both sides.

Some people find the things EA is doing ethically objectionable, anyone whose argument is "you shouldn't care" shouldn't bother coming into this thread. Why enter a discussion thread with the intent of dismissing the idea that there's any debate to be had.

Boredom on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Thread win.

What? No, that's retarded on so many levels.

This isn't "This won't affect me so it doesn't matter" it's "It only affects douchebags, so it doesn't matter".

It's not like they're stopping people they randomly decide to take out from playing their games, they're stopping people who routinely show that they cannot follow the rules of the forums yet continue to post from playing their games (online? Still unclear on this one).

Khavall on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Thread win.

This isn't "This won't affect me so it doesn't matter" it's "It only affects douchebags, so it doesn't matter".

It's not like they're stopping people they randomly decide to take out from playing their games, they're stopping people who routinely show that they cannot follow the rules of the forums yet continue to post from playing their games (online? Still unclear on this one).

Only online modes.

which other developers have been doing.

for years.

except now it's new because EA is doing it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Thread win.

Only online modes.

which other developers have been doing.

for years.

except now it's new because EA is doing it.

Only Bungie if that's to be believed. I'm still not going to accept Steam, sorry, you still haven't convinced me on that (maybe using a large font might help?).

In Bungie's case it prevents you from playing on their own official servers as far as I'm aware, not "online" altogether. I could be wrong on that last point however seeing as how I don't really play Halo anymore.

subedii on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    zilo wrote: »
    What's the big deal? Valve and Bungie have been doing this for ages.

Valve has not. Accounts for using Steam itself and the Steam forums are completely seperate.

Are you sure? There's no link between your forum account and your steam account? I could have sworn they were one and the same.

zilo on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    subedii wrote: »

In Bungie's case it prevents you from playing on their own official servers as far as I'm aware, not "online" altogether. I could be wrong on that last point however seeing as how I don't really play Halo anymore.

Ban on Bungie Forums means the only thing you can play is online co-op and customs, unless you really fucked up. You are locked out from all Matchmaking.

EvilBadman on
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Ban on Bungie Forums means the only thing you can play is online co-op and customs, unless you really fucked up. You are locked out from all Matchmaking.

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks.

subedii on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Dem vidjya games is serious business.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Valve has not. Accounts for using Steam itself and the Steam forums are completely seperate.

Are you sure? There's no link between your forum account and your steam account? I could have sworn they were one and the same.

No, you can register as many forum accounts as you please. STEAM accounts and forum accounts are in no way related.

You could voluntarily specify your STEAM account name in your forum profile, or make the names the same, but that's your own decision.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Thread win.

The comment clearly wasn't aimed at people making actual points.

It can be outrageous though, to be banned unfairly especially knowing that EA banned people complaining about DRM when Spore was released. Frankly, it really, really doesn't look like this is going to be fair at all judging from all the stupid DRM-related shit EA's been doing.

Boredom on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, presuming that this is only true for multiplayer on EA servers, I have no problem with this. Consider the fact that EA is paying for the servers and they presumably want people to have a good experience on their servers, they have every right to ban people from their servers due to bad behavior. The same is true for their forums. If you do something on their forums that negatively affects other customers, again, they have every right to ban you. EA is paying for the servers and presumably want to provide a good atmosphere to all of their customers.

It also wouldn't surprise me if EA has data showing a strong correlation between those who are banned from their forums and those who are banned from their servers. Likewise, that people who are banned online from EA Game A also tend to get banned from EA Game B.

Also, while there is the worry that forum moderators may be a little heavy-handed, I'm sure you'd be able to escalate the issue and have a second or third person review the case. I'm sure they have records of everything that is posted on the forums.

I'd certainly hope that a) this is a tiered banning (banned for 24 hours, then 72, then a week, then a month, etc), and b) this is made clear when signing up for EA accounts. And if it does affect single-player gaming, then yes, I'd be extremely pissed off. But I can't imagine that would be the case.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Losing online access to about $100 worth of games because you wanted to ask about the DRM could pretty easily be construed as "serious business".

subedii on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    look, the problem is that you're leaving the definiton of what is banable to the very people who'd be on the receiving end of a massive whining if there's something massively wrong with a game
    think that's a good idea?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Okay, presuming that this is only true for multiplayer on EA servers, I have no problem with this. Consider the fact that EA is paying for the servers and they presumably want people to have a good experience on their servers, they have every right to ban people from their servers due to bad behavior. The same is true for their forums. If you do something on their forums that negatively affects other customers, again, they have every right to ban you. EA is paying for the servers and presumably want to provide a good atmosphere to all of their customers.

It also wouldn't surprise me if EA has data showing a strong correlation between those who are banned from their forums and those who are banned from their servers. Likewise, that people who are banned online from EA Game A also tend to get banned from EA Game B.

Also, while there is the worry that forum moderators may be a little heavy-handed, I'm sure you'd be able to escalate the issue and have a second or third person review the case. I'm sure they have records of everything that is posted on the forums.

I'd certainly hope that a) this is a tiered banning (banned for 24 hours, then 72, then a week, then a month, etc), and b) this is made clear when signing up for EA accounts. And if it does affect single-player gaming, then yes, I'd be extremely pissed off. But I can't imagine that would be the case.

This is far too sensible a rebuttal to be included in this post.

And from what I'm reading on the EAForums ToS, you have to be a multiple time offender to get banned, similar to our own infraction system here.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The "serious business" argument automatically rebuts the whole internet.

Boredom on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Didn't a ban from the Spore site thing prevent people from saving in single player?

I mean, being able to play a game and not save is... really really lame.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You are setting a record for no-content, meme posts. Might I suggest a vacation to the EA forums. I hear they tolerate this over there.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

EA is paying for their servers in part with the money that consumers give them in return for their games. When I buy game X i expect EA to put up a damn server so I can play game X. They have a right to the consumer and outright banning someone because they said a bad word or made a mistake on a public fucking venue that is in no way related to the product and services purchased with the game is morally, ethically, and logically wrong and injust.

There is no god damn way around it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Someone in this thread has said he was banned for having the words "fuck you" in a Spore creation. Granted, that's not "nice" behavior, but knowing this and knowing that EA has banned people for complaining about Spore DRM on their forums...

Should the aforementioned poster be locked out of other EA games now?

Boredom on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

EA is paying for their servers in part with the money that consumers give them in return for their games. When I buy game X i expect EA to put up a damn server so I can play game X. They have a right to the consumer and outright banning someone because they said a bad word or made a mistake on a public fucking venue that is in no way related to the product and services purchased with the game is morally, ethically, and logically wrong and injust.

I would say official forums from the game's developers is exactly related to the product.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This whole situation is stupid. Every last detail, especially the lip-licking diatribe from the EA mod in the first post and the extensive philosophical argument between "The rule is stupid" and "You are stupid if you break the rule".

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's in the EULA. And the EULA is law. GOD'S LAW

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You are setting a record for no-content, meme posts. Might I suggest a vacation to the EA forums. I hear they tolerate this over there.

My response to

makes a point.

Boredom on
  • Options
    PugnatePugnate Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    From that EA thread, it doesn't seem like it is restricted only to multiplayer. I am assuming any game that requires online authentication (Spore) is at risk.

Pugnate on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx -- Echo
    Signature1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

No, you can register as many forum accounts as you please. STEAM accounts and forum accounts are in no way related.

You could voluntarily specify your STEAM account name in your forum profile, or make the names the same, but that's your own decision.

That's news to me. I don't think I've ever posted on the Steam forums though, not sure why I was so convinced they were linked. So it's just cheating that gets you banned from other VAC games? There's no recourse for bad behavior (team killing, racial slurs)?

edit: also AFAIK Spore bans are temporary, I think 2 weeks is standard for a dongmonster.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Someone in this thread has said he was banned for having the words "fuck you" in a Spore creation. Granted, that's not "nice" behavior

As evidenced by the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, people are assholes on the internet. In Spore, your creatures are available to the public at large, including children. If the host of said content wishes to ban you because you cannot act like a decent human being without concern of the consequences, too bad for you.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I would say official forums from the game's developers is exactly related to the product.

I would challenge definitively that it is entirely unrelated to the product because you do not need to purchase the product to use or browse the forums. So if anything it is a tangentially related service.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Someone in this thread has said he was banned for having the words "fuck you" in a Spore creation. Granted, that's not "nice" behavior

As evidenced by the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, people are assholes on the internet. In Spore, your creatures are available to the public at large, including children. If the host of said content wishes to ban you because you cannot act like a decent human being without concern of the consequences, too bad for you.

Exactly. They post the rules very clearly whenever you install a game. If you can't follow the rules, prepare to have your shit ruined. I wish Blizzard would implement this rule on their forums. I can't even venture over there without wanting to claw my eyes out and stomp on them.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Someone else in the spore thread got banned for writing in the comments for someone's creation that "Dude, that's badass!" or something along those lines. The creator didn't take any offence and nobody else did, but EA certainly seemed to take it personally when they noticed it a week later and auto-banned him for a week for using the word "ass".

Extending that to cover all EA games on top of that is just loony tunes.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Losing online access to about $100 worth of games because you wanted to ask about the DRM could pretty easily be construed as "serious business".

Did you see the threads that caused those bans? They were pretty offensive. They weren't just "asking about DRM", they were full of profanity and death threats.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Did people even read the original thread linked?

Apoc clearly states that this is due to EA moving over to a universal log in system. Therefore, your universal login being banned on the forums means you're banned from signing on to EA's servers. Cheating in a game and getting banned automatically bans you from their forums and other games. This is stated directly in his posts.

And EA Forum mods can't ban in the first place!

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I would challenge definitively that it is entirely unrelated to the product because you do not need to purchase the product to use or browse the forums. So if anything it is a tangentially related service.

I will concede the point that purchase of said product is not required to peruse the specific forums, but to believe that it is no way related to the product is naive.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Exactly. They post the rules very clearly whenever you install a game. If you can't follow the rules, prepare to have your shit ruined. I wish Blizzard would implement this rule on their forums. I can't even venture over there without wanting to claw my eyes out and stomp on them.

Now how are these two things directly related? Can you really form a direct relation to a free service and a good that has been purchased? Would you care to explain away the idea of the disclaimer for "online gameplay"?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

A crucial thing here is that they might be banning you from single player. Waiting for this to be cleared up, as FyreWulff's caps lock post does not confirm anything and the original EA post sounds like single player is affected.

Also, that poster didn't break the rules in Dead Space, he made an offensive creation in Spore, which albeit stupid, is a minor slip. I don't see why he should be banned from the x number of EA games he has.

Boredom on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

A crucial thing here is that they might be banning you from single player. Waiting for this to be cleared up, as FyreWulff's caps lock post does not confirm anything and the original EA post sounds like single player is affected.

Also, that poster didn't break the rules in Dead Space, he made an offensive creation in Spore, which albeit stupid, is a minor slip. I don't see why he should be banned from the x number of EA games he has.

His hands tripped over the FUCK YOU keys. It's ok now.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm really fucking sure, as I use both regularly. Forum accounts have to be created seperately and any link to your Steam account is entirely optional.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That's weird though, I can use my steam account on the forums and I never signed up for them.

But I also signed up for Steam in 2003 and my username is stuck as my old email, so that may change things.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I will concede the point that purchase of said product is not required to peruse the specific forums, but to believe that it is no way related to the product is naive.

You have a very funny understanding of business and logic. So let's say you drive a fun and expensive car. At some point your car breaks down and on a public forum about said car type/manufacture you express your outrage with profanity or do something that offends at least one or two individuals or violates a rule of that forum.

In turn the car manufacture now has the right to completely invalidate the vehicle you purchased by enabling failsafes and other blocking mechanisms.

This is an elaboration of your idea but it is entirely analogous.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's news to me. I don't think I've ever posted on the Steam forums though, not sure why I was so convinced they were linked. So it's just cheating that gets you banned from other VAC games? There's no recourse for bad behavior (team killing, racial slurs)?

edit: also AFAIK Spore bans are temporary, I think 2 weeks is standard for a dongmonster.

Only cheating will get you VAC banned. Server admins are free to ban you from their own server if they want, though.

Peewi on
This discussion has been closed.