Options

Movin' on up! to the new Fallout thread.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just have music playing in the background and pause when I feel like listening to GNR or a conversation between NPCs.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    You know what kind of sucks? At the time I started playing this game on my PC, I did not log in to my XBox/Windows Live account because I could not connect to the internet on my new computer. I've since resolved the issue and signed my PC up for XBL, only now I can't access any of my previous saves! It let me Continue from my last point, but the only game saves that are available in the Save/Load menus are the ones that I created after signing up with Windows Live.

Of course, this is complete bullocks because if for some reason I can't access the internet, I still can't play Fallout 3, as all these most recent saves have been tagged with my Xbox account. Pretty dumb.

Same thing happened to me. I was going to restart anyway, so I didn't care. If I was you, I'd check the file structure, the saves may be under profile folders? U may be able to get them back, the Achievements probably won't grandfather in, but maybe u can get ur saved games back.

Thanks, I'll do some digging and see if I can get the saves back. I'm not too worried about the achievements. I'll get them on later playthroughs.

Also, I require a duster. I'm guessing the only way to get one is to waste Lucas Simms. This is unfortunate, as I am basically a saint of the wasteland. Also, my house is in Megaton and offing the Sheriff might make living there somewhat inconvenient.
    There are ways to get rid of Simms without killing him yourself.
    Burke, for example, is more than happy to help you with it.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know what kind of sucks? At the time I started playing this game on my PC, I did not log in to my XBox/Windows Live account because I could not connect to the internet on my new computer. I've since resolved the issue and signed my PC up for XBL, only now I can't access any of my previous saves! It let me Continue from my last point, but the only game saves that are available in the Save/Load menus are the ones that I created after signing up with Windows Live.

Of course, this is complete bullocks because if for some reason I can't access the internet, I still can't play Fallout 3, as all these most recent saves have been tagged with my Xbox account. Pretty dumb.

Same thing happened to me. I was going to restart anyway, so I didn't care. If I was you, I'd check the file structure, the saves may be under profile folders? U may be able to get them back, the Achievements probably won't grandfather in, but maybe u can get ur saved games back.

Thanks, I'll do some digging and see if I can get the saves back. I'm not too worried about the achievements. I'll get them on later playthroughs.

Also, I require a duster. I'm guessing the only way to get one is to waste Lucas Simms. This is unfortunate, as I am basically a saint of the wasteland. Also, my house is in Megaton and offing the Sheriff might make living there somewhat inconvenient.

There is another way to get a duster, with the same abilities, but a better DR, for a good character:
    Take the Lawbringer perk.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited November 2008

If you take the Lawbringer perk you'll be given a Regulator duster. Or you could find them and kill one if you don't want the perk.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Ah, you missed the easy way to do it. If you tell Simms that Burke wanted you to blow up the bomb, he confronts Burke, and Burke shoots him in the back. Then shoot Burke, and you get both their stuff. After you defuse the bomb, his kid gives you the reward.

Win-win-win.

If you want a duster, though, either be evil or take the perk where bad guys drop fingers. It's the opposite of Contract Killer, but the name goes right out of my head atm. The Regulators give you one when you join. You have to be level 14, though.

ed: Lawbringer, that's right.

freakish light on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You fools should have gotten the 360 version. I've had 2 freezes, and no other problems.

When and if mod tools come out, it will be completely worth it.
    I was looking at NMA a bit and some guy really hated exploding cars, is there some reason why this is sacrilege or are these guys just tools?

He's a gigantic tool, however, one could wonder how ALL these cars could sit there unmolested for 200+ years and not explode/get tampered with/stripped, and suddenly you come along and they're all blowing up!

If they had the energy/explosive power to blow up like that, I don't see why someone couldn't go into the car and extract the power cells. They'd either sell well, or be incredibly useful if you had a plasma weapon.

It's an incredibly minor thing.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    tender bransontender branson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

or perhaps Sir would care to try the Mysterious Stranger's coat?

player.additem 6696d, 1

tender branson on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    and ten dollars cheaper grumble grumble grumble

if I had a PC that could run it I'd have been all over it.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm already playing with mods. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »

This is what I did, and then I killed Burke. I'm just worried that when I finally get around to going to Tenpenny Tower, everyone will hostile me.

And as for music, I'll say again the Leonard Cohen's "The Future" is an excellent song to roam & loot to.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nickle wrote: »
    I've started using custom soundtracks on the 360.

There really is nothing like killing dudes in a post apocalyptic wasteland while listening to Sinatra croon "I've got the world on a string."

What a world, indeed.

I know I'm stupid and all.. but how do you get your custom music onto the 360? Never used the 360 for anything but uh, playing them videoh games.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember Sorenson was asking earlier about the differences between male-female playthroughs so far the only advantages I've found with Black Widow over Ladykiller is you can 100% convince Burke to give you an extra 500 caps for the job and Roland in Girdershade will go out and look for Nuka-Quantom bottles for you. However after sending him off on the Quantom bottle hunt I haven't seen him around and have no idea where he is (or if he's even alive).

edit:

You rip music onto the 360 much like you would on a PC. Then when in game you press the big ass big green button in the middle and at the bottom is a CD player (next track, pause, stop, etc.) You click where the song title goes and then you can browse through your selection and play what you want.

You can also make playlists.

edit 2:

You can kill Burke and Tenpenny Tower is not hostile towards you. They're only hostile if you up and kill folk and even then I think they settle down after a while.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I had this happen too, because I started playing before I registered the game for my live account.

It's some stupidity with the way it pretends to be an "xbox live" game, it stores the saves in a different spot. You can get around it by starting up the game, logging out of live, loading your game, then reconnecting to live. You can now save normally.

Could probably exit the game and move files around too, but when I did it I only had one save so there was nothing i was worried about saving.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yeah, if enough interesting mods come out, I'll probably pick up the PC version as well.

Of course, before that happens, I have to make some modifications to my PC, which is incapable of playing the original Hitman from Gametap at more than 1 fps.

Nickle on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

There really is nothing like killing dudes in a post apocalyptic wasteland while listening to Sinatra croon "I've got the world on a string."

What a world, indeed.

how do you do this? I needs me some Moricone!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »

What a world, indeed.

I know I'm stupid and all.. but how do you get your custom music onto the 360? Never used the 360 for anything but uh, playing them videoh games.

Just insert a cd into the 360, and it'll pull up the music player. There's an option to "Rip CD," and you can select which tracks you want to rip (it defaults to ripping all tracks, so if you've got a live cd or soundtrack with spoken parts, you can choose not to rip them).

After that, it's as simple as hitting the guide button and scrolling down to the music section during play.

And this is absolutely off-topic, but I stumbed on the greatest thing for the 360:
    Play On, a program that pipes streaming media from Hulu directly to your 360, I'm assuming from the HD feed, since everything's so clear. I am most definitely canceling my cable television.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »

This is what I did, and then I killed Burke. I'm just worried that when I finally get around to going to Tenpenny Tower, everyone will hostile me.

And as for music, I'll say again the Leonard Cohen's "The Future" is an excellent song to roam & loot to.

As far as they're concerned, Burke went off to Megaton to try and find someone to blow it up and he hasn't come back yet. Even if you're wearing his suit and hat and holding his silenced 10mm.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You can get Burke to kill Simms, haven't tried it yet, just read about it.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, if enough interesting mods come out, I'll probably pick up the PC version as well.

Of course, before that happens, I have to make some modifications to my PC, which is incapable of playing the original Hitman from Gametap at more than 1 fps.

I'd never buy a Bethesda game for anything other than the PC.. for one, they make cheating extremely easy, so once you finish the game and just want to screw around, you can. And of course, there's the mods.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh right I have something I've been meaning to ask and always forgetting. Was it ever explained how
    James got into the vault, or how no one really mentions it and/or still believes the vault is sealed up as tight as a dolphins ass?

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    xzzy wrote: »

I'd never buy a Bethesda game for anything other than the PC.. for one, they make cheating extremely easy, so once you finish the game and just want to screw around, you can. And of course, there's the mods.

If I had a choice, I'd probably have picked up the PC version.

As it is, I just wanted to play fallout 3 NOW, and down the road when I have a better rig, and there are tons of mods available, I can revisit the game.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Regarding that:
    could have something to do with the fact that he's a doctor. I haven't seen or heard of any it explained yet, but it could make sense. He is the only doctor that I know of in 101.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I have never seen a game thread move this fast... or at least continue to move this fast a couple weeks after said game has been released. I am so amazed.

I bought the game the weekend before last, mostly because you jerks wouldn't shut up about it and so I was forced to find out for myself if it was any good, after I'd already promised myself that I wouldn't buy it because it's Oblivion with guns and not a true Fallout successor (I was a big fan of the original).

I'm happy to report that I was stupidly wrong, and I've played the shit outta this game for the past week and a half or so. I finally beat it last night, after having suspended my 'good' playthrough at the 29-hour mark and starting over with an evil girl. I know I have 35-40 hours on that save and still haven't seen nearly all their is to see, because I hear you guys going on and on about places I'd never even heard about. Fucking amazing.

Despite all that, I just cannot fathom how badly Bethesda borked the main story of this game. People in these threads have gone over it again and again so I suppose it's not worth re-hashing, but seriously... wtf? It seems that all-too-often in great games, particularly wide-open sandboxy types, the devs just run out of time and/or money when they get to the end, so they slap something on and call it done. I honestly have no desire to beat this game a 2nd time, though I am already considering playing it again just to go exploring.

I think probably the only thing that's keeping me from firing the game up again is that I'm just likely to play the same way I did already... small arms and stealth. I don't care all that much for energy weapons and melee/unarmed is pretty lame, so I don't think I'd have much fun with that. Anyone have suggestions for a different way to go through that's still fun? Fun is the key word, obviously.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    At this point, I don't really care much about the main story. I'm not too far into it, anyway, but it's been serviceable.

I've found all the tiny little sidequests you can do, and the other characters in the world, are far more interesting.

It's a shame that they botched the story, from what I hear, but damn if I really don't mind it one bit.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Regarding that:
    could have something to do with the fact that he's a doctor. I haven't seen or heard of any it explained yet, but it could make sense. He is the only doctor that I know of in 101.

Well there used to be scouting parties from 101 but they quit that and sealed up the vault. From then on all the adults lied to the kids and told them the vault had never been opened ever and it shall continue that way. Maybe James saved some of the scouting parties' lives and in exchange was allowed to move into vault 101 as long as he went along with the whole 'VAULT IS CLOSED FOR NOW AND EVER' charade.

edit:

I play with zero stealth and found the game very, very fun. Run and gunning for the incredible win of happiness and rainbows.

If you haven't been to Andale or Oasis you have to go now. NOW.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh right I have something I've been meaning to ask and always forgetting. Was it ever explained how
    James got into the vault, or how no one really mentions it and/or still believes the vault is sealed up as tight as a dolphins ass?
    Apparently it was open once. Amata mentions it briefly when you come back to Vault 101, and I think there's some other corroborating evidence but I can't remember what.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    When you transition from baby to infant you hear the Overseer saying "We need a doctor" or some such thing.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

What a world, indeed.

Just insert a cd into the 360, and it'll pull up the music player. There's an option to "Rip CD," and you can select which tracks you want to rip (it defaults to ripping all tracks, so if you've got a live cd or soundtrack with spoken parts, you can choose not to rip them).

After that, it's as simple as hitting the guide button and scrolling down to the music section during play.

And this is absolutely off-topic, but I stumbed on the greatest thing for the 360:
    Play On, a program that pipes streaming media from Hulu directly to your 360, I'm assuming from the HD feed, since everything's so clear. I am most definitely canceling my cable television.
    Can you get MP3s on there with things like memory card or external drive, or will I need to burn them on disk first?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As far as they're concerned, Burke went off to Megaton to try and find someone to blow it up and he hasn't come back yet. Even if you're wearing his suit and hat and holding his silenced 10mm.
    Sweet.

And yeah, the main story goes in a pretty underwhelming direction but the package as a whole still constitutes one of the best games I've ever played.

Interestingly, every word of what I just said also applies to GTA4.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Part of it does get explained.
    When you get called back to the vault by Amata
    Go near vault 101 after your dad dies
    She mentions learning that the vault was opened and there were interactions with Megaton, some people left, some died, and eventually the vault was resealed and all the surviving adults signed an oath to deny it ever happened so the next generation wouldn't try to open the vault again. It's never articulated how your dad got in, but presumably it happened while the vault was open. Possibly the existing doctor was among the missing or dead vault dwellers - in the garbled "memory sequences" while growing up, you hear the overseer say "We need a doctor, not a (something)."
    There's a theory that Moira is one of the missing vault dwellers, which is where she got the vault suit, and that she cracked after getting locked out. She has reasonable skill as a doctor.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Apparently it was open once. Amata mentions it briefly when you come back to Vault 101, and I think there's some other corroborating evidence but I can't remember what.
    The vault wasn't always sealed and from the sounds of it, James approached them and offered up his skills in exchange for a safe haven. But because of the horros of the waste and the mutants and ghouls and the death of vault dwellers from 101, they decided it just wasn't worth the risk and sealed it up permanently for general use, only allowing out scouting parties.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    First off, jesus christ stop posting quest spoilers outside of spoilers, even if it is potentially one of the first available quests out there. Perhaps some people don't own this game yet, perhaps some people have to "wait for christmas" to get stuff like this, as it used to be in my family many years ago. This game is new, and there is no goddamn reason you should be posting spoilerific shit unspoilered. Stop being retarded and show some consideration to other players.

Also,

Regarding what Endomatic was answering:

At the beginning of the game during each section of the little tutorial, as time passes a lot of things are actually understandable, and you can get a glimpse of it that way, also when you return to vault 101 much of it is revealed if you take the time to talk to Amata

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone have suggestions for a different way to go through that's still fun? Explosives is the key word, obviously.

pantsy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Personally, I'm not even all that happy with a lot of the quests and stuff. I loved the megaton/ten penny thing. Fucking awesome, but since that is really your VERY FIRST major choice, it makes all the others pail in comparison.

It was a fantastic idea that is played through much too quickly.

You can have SO many things revolve around Ten Penny Tower. I wish they had done even a bit more with it.
    I think that that area is probably the best in the game. The things,people and situations you interact with are simply brilliant. I wish they could have kept the pace.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »

What a world, indeed.

Can you get MP3s on there with things like memory card or external drive, or will I need to burn them on disk first?

As far as I know, you can't directly rip mp3s onto the system. If you burn them to a cd it will work, but it won't pull the track names and such automatically.

Another alternative would be to set up the media center stuff and stream music through Windows Media Player, but I'm not sure if that works for custom soundtracks. I only use the media center capabilities for streaming HD shows from Hulu, which is absolutely fantastic.

e: I didn't do the Tenpenny quest until maybe 30 hours into the game. And I wouldn't even call it one of my favorite quests.

Nickle on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

There is another way to get a duster, with the same abilities, but a better DR, for a good character:

Seriously? Do that and you're given a duster? Wonderful. I wasn't going to bother as I've already got tons of money, but this makes it worth it.

Of course, the outfit seems totally incomplete without the hat. I might have to kill Simms anyway.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've got all my music on an external drive, and it's all in my WMP library. Then, I just hit the guide button, go to Select Music, hit X to change the source to my computer, and all my music's in there. Custom soundtracks that you set up in Windows Media Player should show up in there.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Personally, I'm not even all that happy with a lot of the quests and stuff. I loved the megaton/ten penny thing. Fucking awesome, but since that is really your VERY FIRST major choice, it makes all the others pail in comparison.

It was a fantastic idea that is played through much too quickly.

Oasis!
    Although there isn't really any acknowledgment of what you did in this quest (neither in visuals or even the end game Ron summary) it's still a pretty big decision that takes place that involves many different personal and regional (national/global?) factors.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Seriously? Do that and you're given a duster? Wonderful. I wasn't going to bother as I've already got tons of money, but this makes it worth it.

Of course, the outfit seems totally incomplete without the hat. I might have to kill Simms anyway.

You could just wait for him to die randomly, like he did in my game. But yeah, if you follow through on the perk, you'll get a duster, and depending on how good of a person you are, tons of caps.

Nickle on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Regarding that:

Well there used to be scouting parties from 101 but they quit that and sealed up the vault. From then on all the adults lied to the kids and told them the vault had never been opened ever and it shall continue that way. Maybe James saved some of the scouting parties' lives and in exchange was allowed to move into vault 101 as long as he went along with the whole 'VAULT IS CLOSED FOR NOW AND EVER' charade.
    Since the old games' surplus materials mentioned that the vaults usually had populations of several hundreds to a thousand (though granted they don't look that way in-game) I always figured that the old man snuck you and himself into the vault somehow and tried to just blend into the masses, with the Overseer finally catching on and the jig being busted up. Given how much of a scientific whiz Dad is and his (albeit loose) connections to the BoS who had data on the vaults (not to mention the VT building in DC) I could see him figuring out how to get the vault door open without the alarms going off.

EDIT: Oh, that's it? Never mind, I didn't see that one post on the last page.

Sorenson on