As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No! Don't get All-Star Batman. He looks like Batman, but nothing he does or says is the least bit Batman-like.

Now that's not true at all. I enjoy All-Star Batman because it exaggerates everything about regular Batman to the point where you can't help but laugh at how ridiculous it is.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to join the "Fuck Yeah!" group on you getting All Star Batman.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, there seem to be about 2 people here who hate it with a passion, but everyone else loves it.

It's like the Max Payne of comic books, except for even MORE gritty and over the top. It starts from the assumption that you have to be fucked in the head to want to be batman, and then logically progresses from there.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has there ever been a good explanation for why the people of Krypton didn't get off the planet when it blew up? Krypton was supposed to be a super power among planets and must have traded/ negotiated with/ had influence over other worlds. I realize that rocket ships were novel back in the 1930s but has DC ever retconned a good explanation for why every Kryptonian was on the planet at the same time?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Has there ever been a good explanation for why the people of Krypton didn't get off the planet when it blew up? Krypton was supposed to be a super power among planets and must have traded/ negotiated with/ had influence over other worlds. I realize that rocket ships were novel back in the 1930s but has DC ever retconned a good explanation for why every Kryptonian was on the planet at the same time?

because no one believed Jor-El when he warned them it was going to explode

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think for a long time the explanation was that Kryptonians were extremely xenophobic and insular, so they didn't have any kind of system in place for space travel. So even when Jor-El was proven correct, and Krypton started melting down, there was no way to get off the planet.

Munch on
  • Options
    DeLaMuerteDeLaMuerte Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Righty. Hi, I have recently started to develop an interest in DC comics and since I live in scandinavia (the wang of Europe) my accessibility to the superhero comic world is quite limited so therefore my knowledge of the DCU is not all too great.

Well here's the question: What's up with the whole crisis thingy? (Final Cisis, Infinite Crisis etc.)
    Is it just like som DC equivalent to Civil War? I thought I heard something of it being a complete reboot of the DCU, any truth in that?

DeLaMuerte on
    De la muerte!
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DeLaMuerte wrote: »
    Righty. Hi, I have recently started to develop an interest in DC comics and since I live in scandinavia (the wang of Europe) my accessibility to the superhero comic world is quite limited so therefore my knowledge of the DCU is not all too great.

Well here's the question: What's up with the whole crisis thingy? (Final Cisis, Infinite Crisis etc.)
    Is it just like som DC equivalent to Civil War? I thought I heard something of it being a complete reboot of the DCU, any truth in that?

Ok, so the reason I mentioned wikipedia is that the crisis stuff is pretty convoluted and very hard to break down.

In really, really basic terms though:

Crisis on Infinite Earths was a continuity reboot for DC in the 80's (85 if I remember right). In it, a few major characters died, and almost all major characters had their origins retooled at least a little bit.

Infinite Crisis was the same thing, only it happened fairly recently. It was about characters from CoIE, but it didn't have as much of an impact as the former. It took out some players, and at the end of it, the Trinity (Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman) are removed for a year.

Final Crisis is what is going on right now, but it isn't a big continuity shifting event like the other two, it's just a story that uses the same kind of name. It's about the evil New Gods wrecking shit.

I am probably beaten by forever but I am still posting this, dammit. Oh I'm not. Well anyway if you're really interested you can read the wiki articles for a better summary. But it's still confusing (to me at least I'm not a big DC guy)

Langly on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    Crisis on Infinite Earths was done to bring all of the characters DC owns to one universe. Their multiverse stories were getting way too complicated to follow so it was necessary to establish one strict universe.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We also don't really know how Final Crisis is going to affect continuity yet.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Can we get General Comics Questions or something in the thread title? It seems like more people than usual are missing this thread as the place to ask their questions.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    How long is supposed to have past from the end of Infinite Crisis to the beginning of Final Crisis, in terms of in-universe time?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    like 2 years at least

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I know some people on here use them, what's a decent online mail order comics site? I'm going to need to switch it over this summer and I'd like to start looking around.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    like 2 years at least

Sounds about right. One year for 52 and probably a few months pre-Countdown and another year for Countdown to take place.

KVW on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    I know some people on here use them, what's a decent online mail order comics site? I'm going to need to switch it over this summer and I'd like to start looking around.

Ender when you go to Basic, and eventually are allowed to go out to part of the base on your own, there's a comic shop in the Shoppette area with the Burger King in it. I know this sounds cryptic now, but you'll get what I mean when you're there.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm only going to be in San Antonio for two weeks after basic, and my mom is picking my shit up at the local shop until I get out of school this summer

This is for once I get stationed and I'm out wherever, so I can have them mail me my stuff. I'm going to be a loadmaster and looking for a shop every time I get somewhere/trying to get shit when I get back is going to be a pain.

And do you mean on or off base because if there's a place on base at Lackland shitdick on a stick (I remember reading that there was a BK on base but wasn't sure if this was true or not)

Me Too! on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wiggin, use HeavyInk. 20% off and free shipping. I've been using them 2 weeks now and it's been working out well for me. If you need your comics to arrive with a little more protection, you'll have to pay for better shipping I think.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    How does Heavy Ink work, while I'm at it. Is it like you have to order the books for each week or do you have a subscription list that they mail to you or what?

For 20% off and free shipping though, that sounds like the best deal since 20% is the subscription discount at my shop.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You can set up subscriptions and/or place single orders for issues or trades.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm only going to be in San Antonio for two weeks after basic, and my mom is picking my shit up at the local shop until I get out of school this summer

This is for once I get stationed and I'm out wherever, so I can have them mail me my stuff. I'm going to be a loadmaster and looking for a shop every time I get somewhere/trying to get shit when I get back is going to be a pain.

And do you mean on or off base because if there's a place on base at Lackland shitdick on a stick (I remember reading that there was a BK on base but wasn't sure if this was true or not)

So it's hard to give directions from where you'll be cuz there's like 6+ squadrons of trainees, BUT: When I was there, there were at least two Shoppettes (They're like a mini-stripmall/gas station). One has Popeyes, the other has BK. The one with BK has a comic shop. If you buy stuff, they'll hold it til graduation for you (cuz you can't take stuff back to the squadron til then). You won't get "free time" to go to them until usually at least the 3rd week, but for some people it was later. Varies by squadron and TI.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Wiggin, use HeavyInk. 20% off and free shipping. I've been using them 2 weeks now and it's been working out well for me. If you need your comics to arrive with a little more protection, you'll have to pay for better shipping I think.

Is there a minimum order amount?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Why don't Hudlin and DiDio start their own comic company?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Why don't Hudlin and DiDio start their own comic company?

I doubt they've met, and Hudlin seems to be fine with where he is now. Love him or hate him, but Didio seems firmly planted at DC right now.

Oh wait, you're commenting on how you don't like the contributions of either to titles and characters you like. Sorry, I was treating your question as if it were one you actually wanted answered.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

So it's hard to give directions from where you'll be cuz there's like 6+ squadrons of trainees, BUT: When I was there, there were at least two Shoppettes (They're like a mini-stripmall/gas station). One has Popeyes, the other has BK. The one with BK has a comic shop. If you buy stuff, they'll hold it til graduation for you (cuz you can't take stuff back to the squadron til then). You won't get "free time" to go to them until usually at least the 3rd week, but for some people it was later. Varies by squadron and TI.

That's pretty sweet. For right now though I'm having mom pick up my stuff at home with the discount, and then I'll get it when I come home for my ten days before I'm stationed, which is when I'll cancel my subscription at the local shop and set up a mail order

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Question: if I jack myself off to metafictional crap and the concept of "magick" as posited by Grant Morrison and Alan Moore, do I have any excuse to have not read Promethea? :P Is all of the art done by J.H. Williams III?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You excuse is that I didn't enjoy it very much. Other than that, you'd probably enjoy the hell out of it. Yea Mask, I think maybe Loeb could be their lead writer. In my alternate universe where they don't mess up comics I love.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Question: if I jack myself off to metafictional crap and the concept of "magick" as posited by Grant Morrison and Alan Moore, do I have any excuse to have not read Promethea? :P Is all of the art done by J.H. Williams III?
    Promethea is great. All the art is extremely pretty, and most of it is really interesting to read. It's a bit masturbatory, but the general ideas in it are still cool. Plus, it's super pretty.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    RaeinRaein new member
    edited December 2008
    Why doesn't America get any European comics translated? There is a ton of shit manga put out every year but all the amazing stuff from Europe never makes it over here. I know Marvel is putting out some material from Soleil but that is only a couple of series. Are there any small publishing company that releases European comics?

Raein on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Asterix and Tin Tin (They're both Euro right?) we get in some stores, but that's about it in my experience. And some weird sci-fi stuff that I can't remember the name of.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raein wrote: »
    Why doesn't America get any European comics translated? There is a ton of shit manga put out every year but all the amazing stuff from Europe never makes it over here. I know Marvel is putting out some material from Soleil but that is only a couple of series. Are there any small publishing company that releases European comics?

You can get some great stuff through Humanoid's Publishing. NBM also has a lot of Euro comics translated, like the very enjoyable fantasy/humor comic, Dungeon. Then there's a lot of stuff scattered across various publishers that you may have to look around for, like Blue Pills, the works of Jason, or Blacksad.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Metabarons was the weird Sci-Fi I was thinking of. Also, what titles should I be subscribing to? I prefer to trade-watch in general, but I'm talking stuff like Scalped and Secret Six (both on my list) that are AWESOME and could use the help to avoid cancellation.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm probably going to pick up the Secret Wars 2 omnibus next year and I want to read it chronologically. Does anyone know a place where they list things like that?

Edit: Just checked wiki's article on SW 2 and apparently they have the list but since it's wiki I still want to be sure.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You really don't want to read SW2. I'm doing you a favor, believe me.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How was Green Lantern Mosaic? It sounds awesome.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That was Gerald Jones and an artist I should remember at the moment but can't, and featured John Stewart while he was half-Guardian, right?

I think I remember liking it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gerard Jones and (mostly) Cully Hamner

John became a "guardian" at the end of the series. the series was mostly a treatise on "alien" existentialism, if such a thing could exist.

Rans on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So what's a good way (besides like, amazon) to find out/keep up with currently available trades? I used to use tradepaperbacklist but that doesn't seem like its been updated recently.

I've fallen quite behind in my comics related purchases, and I need to catch up.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Metabarons was the weird Sci-Fi I was thinking of. Also, what titles should I be subscribing to? I prefer to trade-watch in general, but I'm talking stuff like Scalped and Secret Six (both on my list) that are AWESOME and could use the help to avoid cancellation.

No one has a comic they want to push? Fine with me I guess.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
This discussion has been closed.