Options

Warhammer: the Casual Amusement of Fantastical Battlefication

• Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, screw you guys for living near other people who play.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, I'm getting back into Dark Elves now. Anyone know what they are like in 7th edition?

jackisreal on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    <-- Iowa. We do have a friend who lives in central PA, wherever Penn State is.

You live in Iowa? Where at? I'm in Omaha.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    SJ wrote: »
    <-- Iowa. We do have a friend who lives in central PA, wherever Penn State is.

You live in Iowa? Where at? I'm in Omaha.

I live in a tiny town about 10 miles northwest of Des Moines. So ~ 2-2.5 hours from Omaha.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmm. If you want, I'll let you know when we have our WFB tournaments around here, if you're willing to travel.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmm. If you want, I'll let you know when we have our WFB tournaments around here, if you're willing to travel.

The short answer is: yes. The long answer is: Well that all depends.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    jackisreal wrote: »
    So, I'm getting back into Dark Elves now. Anyone know what they are like in 7th edition?

Nasty as all hell, apparently.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The short answer is: yes. The long answer is: Well that all depends.

Well I'll try to let you know when they come up. If you can't come, that's fine, if you can, awesome. That'll be the second PA person we have playing around here :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I have obligations, what with being married and kids and whatnot, but I am currently owed a 'getaway'.

The other thing that may be important is what sort of stress your area puts on what you might call "having an army that is remotely "painted", as I have this habit of fielding not only unpainted models, but actual empty bases, as a few of my things are barely out of the box, much less put together.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well for casual play it probably wouldn't bother people, but for tournaments we use RTT rules, so it's WYSIWYG.

SJ on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    jackisreal wrote: »

After playing against someone who had gotten out of them in 7th and hadn't seen them again, they are entirely different (something he found as I routed his army). When I have a Cauldron out I feel confident that any block I field can be competitive with any block that's thrown at me. Even when I don't have one I just put my Black Guard out there and let my opponent learn to not attack them. I think what really makes them, though, is how your simple level 1 or 2 Sorceress can pump out spells with no problem. Being able to generate dice and use as many as you want for 100 points is turning out to be pretty amazing.

A duck! on
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well for casual play it probably wouldn't bother people, but for tournaments we use RTT rules, so it's WYSIWYG.

WYSIWYG?

Why'd You Spear Innocent Wailing Young Guys?

Whatta you got against elves?!

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't all dark elves have hatred against everything?

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    oaklore wrote: »
    Don't all dark elves have hatred against everything?

Yeah, which is real nice. Even better are the Black Guard, who get to reroll misses in every round of combat (they're immune to psychology so Eternal Hatred doesn't help them). That reroll is the difference between winning combats and breaking units sometimes, especially when it comes off of Hydras, Manticores, Executioners and the like.

If I had known about High Elves and their always strikes first, however...

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    oaklore wrote: »

WYSIWYG?

Why'd You Spear Innocent Wailing Young Guys?

Whatta you got against elves?!

Elves are fags 8-)

SJ on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know SJ, if you live in Omaha, I'm on the direct other side of Iowa, just into Illinois. Gives me another reason to dislike Iowa, it's inbetween me and PA'ers who have similar hobbies.

EDIT: I must also concur with the elves are fags comment

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Iowa is dumb because:

1) They lack Waaaagh!
    B) Fuck Iowa
    Twelve) It's the name of Slipknot's worst album ever
    And in finishing, fuck Iowa.

SJ on
  • Options
    RubberchristRubberchrist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Iowa is dumb because:

1) They lack Waaaagh!
    B) Fuck Iowa

You know SJ, hearing that out of the mouth of someone from Nebraska, that doesn't sting so bad.....

And slipknot's best album was the one that they would have recorded that failed to get them a recording contract, not the ones they have released.... Slipknot is what sucks. Hard.

-R

(PS: I'm an Iowa boy too... can you tell?)

Rubberchrist on
    "Nurgle has got to be my favorite chaos god, fluff wise...
    He's portrayed as this sort of jovial, jolly old guy who thinks that rotting apocolyptic plague is funny as hell... So basically he's a big ole fat bastard who thinks giving you a scorching case of the herp is a big laugh."
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
    http://brushandputty.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Iowa is dumb because:

1) They lack Waaaagh!
    B) Fuck Iowa

You know SJ, hearing that out of the mouth of someone from Nebraska, that doesn't sting so bad.....

And slipknot's best album was the one that they would have recorded that failed to get them a recording contract, not the ones they have released.... Slipknot is what sucks. Hard.

-R

Apparently my well thought out and superbly crafted arguments have hit someone where it hurt :lol:

Where at in Iowa though? It'd be sweet to get lots of PA people together for gaming.

SJ on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's a difference in midwest states? :P

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    There's a difference in midwest states? :P

Iowa has cows. We have soy and corn :P

SJ on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Iowa is Nebraska's bubble-headed neighbor; the one that says 'somethink' instead of 'something' and thinks the Macarena is still a 'hip' song.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Macarena

D:

Guys I'm scared and/or disgusted. Can we talk about Nurgle instead?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nurgle-rena.

Skullo on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every time I turn on the radio

Nurgle is playing the same five songs

fifteen times a day

Forever.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, screw you guys for living near other people who play.

Yeah, you know what? I live in Washington too but up near the Canadian border. Seattle is like light-years away, especially when you gotta take buses to get there. However, if you guys were to do a campaign I could perhaps make a one time appearance with my stunties.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Every time I turn on the radio

Nurgle is playing the same five songs

fifteen times a day

Forever.

You should change the channel.

Alazull, if I can get the garage clean and some wife approval, I will totally have a mini-PA Warhammer con in 2009 sometime.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RubberchristRubberchrist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Apparently my well thought out and superbly crafted arguments have hit someone where it hurt :lol:

Where at in Iowa though? It'd be sweet to get lots of PA people together for gaming.

I grew up pretty much next door to Erandus, and have known him since moon boots were in fashion. As for right now, I'm living in Seattle, so any midwestern Warhammer shenanigans would have to be WELL planned out, and probably around christmas (with wildly appealing "im sorry" gifts for my wife, for subjecting her to five hours of Omaha warhammer over her christmas vacation).

You know, Morkskittar, and Alazull.... I think I smell a mini-games day a-brewing.... muahaha!

-R

Rubberchrist on
    "Nurgle has got to be my favorite chaos god, fluff wise...
    He's portrayed as this sort of jovial, jolly old guy who thinks that rotting apocolyptic plague is funny as hell... So basically he's a big ole fat bastard who thinks giving you a scorching case of the herp is a big laugh."
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
    http://brushandputty.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Quick question while I'm still just formulating rough army ideas sans rule books, crossbows are still move and shoot, right?

I should probably be shooting for what, 20 guys to a unit for the +3 rank bonus? Or is 25 better so I can lose some dudes and still keep the bonus? Might just be better to save the points though.

For Ironbreakers, 20 is a great number because their armor save allows them to scoff at anything under Strength 6.

Miners and Scouts can vary, depending on what you want to do with them. If you have an Anvil of Doom on the table, you might not need more than 15 for some extra combat resolution.

For regular Warriors and Hammerers, I like to go 25+ for actual blocks. For Warriors, it's because unless you have great weapons, you're winning through combat resolution in most cases, and the extra guys help you hold on to the +3 for as long as you can, and the reason is much the same for Hammerers.

@Morskittar: That would be, by definition, fucking sweet.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm really just using you guys to create motivation to clean the garage. But if that happens, I try to avoid the usual Seattle "hay we should do something sometime but I don't really mean that" thing. So it's a strong possiblity.

Alazull, have you tried mini-units of dwarfs? In my experience (facing them) they're ridiculously good against light cav and skirmishers. 25 of the same seems like a pretty daunting block to take on.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, it would be a long time before I'm in any sort of condition to participate in some sort of official tournament nonsense. My army is far from anything even resembling painted, and WYSIWYG is right out the window around here. I don't have the funds to model a bunch of different versions of each unit to reflect the mark I feel like giving them in any given particular game. Shit, I can barely even get a unit painted every 3 months.

For friendly type gaming action, though, I'm all about it. As long as you don't mind that "those empty cav bases are Warhounds, I swear". I now finally own nearly all of the WoC models I tend to field, at least, though some aren't assembled, and very few are painted. I sub OK ogres for Chaos Ogres, and I won't be buying Dragon Ogres until they come out with some proper models.. and my heroes/lords sometimes are not mounted on the models I may not have purchased, but that's sort of a matter of time/money. I'm at least up front about what every unit is, and describe it in detail as I deploy it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The cold MI winters always get me interested in painting models again.

WAR had me hankering for a Raven Host warband, but I should probably just finish up the O&G I have and round that out to a decent list. One of these days. Maybe I'll get some painting in this weekend. It's been forever.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ugh.. since the majority of my paints seem all muddy and dried up i'm considering buying the damn mega paint set. i need brushes and flock too, so its a decent deal.. but $250 is still 250 that i could be spending on my armies instead. someone convince me either way (basically make me feel good about this, or save the money hah)

everytime i've tried adding some water to my fucked up paints and mixing it they still seem to come out real thin and don't layer on the model well. the new bottles they're using look like they'd stand the test of time. man, the old paints with the white pop caps we're great (as long as you cleaned the edges). i still have my original paints from 2nd edition 40k that work fine.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Iowa is dumb because:

1) They lack Waaaagh!
    B) Fuck Iowa

-R

You know, we should get something together in like Des Moines or somewhere nearby. Then we can all gather up there and have some sort of Apocalyptic clash of doom with our various armies.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    You know, we should get something together in like Des Moines or somewhere nearby. Then we can all gather up there and have some sort of Apocalyptic clash of doom with our various armies.

I support this product and/or service. Mayhem in Des Moines is a GW reseller and has a very large game room with boards, terrain, etc, etc. Name the day and time, and I will be there.
    krylon666 wrote: »
    ugh.. since the majority of my paints seem all muddy and dried up i'm considering buying the damn mega paint set.

I have one. It rocks. It feels horrible to purchase it, but then holy fuck you have one. I love having one. The case is sweet, it keeps all your shit organized.. Yeah, it's worth the investment.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »
    The cold MI winters always get me interested in painting models again.

WAR had me hankering for a Raven Host warband, but I should probably just finish up the O&G I have and round that out to a decent list. One of these days. Maybe I'll get some painting in this weekend. It's been forever.
    Hi5 MI buddy, where are you in the murder mitten?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    theres a really sexy indian/jewish girl in my class from lansing

that's the extent of my michigan knowledge

god I want an ogre update :(

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Moridin889 wrote: »

I support this product and/or service. Mayhem in Des Moines is a GW reseller and has a very large game room with boards, terrain, etc, etc. Name the day and time, and I will be there.

God damnit, why must you people say these things? I was waiting until Skaven were redone to get really into fantasy but saying shit like this...

SJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    My Ogres are shelved, except for use as Chaos Ogres, until a new book.

My WoC is far too fun to play right now. The Ogre book is sad, and continues to get sadder with ever new release.

Give me:
    Free light armor on bulls, possibly with the ability to upgrade to heavy, and a 4+ armor save upgrade option on IGs
    Bulls that are either cheaper or better (ironfists that count as both XHW and shield would be a great start, perhaps without the hw/shield parry rule applying)
    Ironguts with WS4
    Yhetees who don't roll over and die when you sneeze at them
    Leadbelchers who can actually earn back even a fraction of their points
    Gnoblar goat riding fast cav (ok maybe not this)
    Rhinox riders with official rule and model support
    A couple points off the scraplauncher with a plastic model
    A hunter with 1 more BS who can move-and-fire
    A magic item list where there is more than one choice in each category worth taking
    Big Names that are actually useful or worth taking at all
    Cheaper Maneaters
    A Slavegiant that is stubborn/unbreakable when near the tyrant (More scared of the Tyrant than the Enemy)
    Bull Charge at least working on infantry/cavalry from any distance
    A little more variety.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My Ogres are shelved, except for use as Chaos Ogres, until a new book.

My WoC is far too fun to play right now. The Ogre book is sad, and continues to get sadder with ever new release.

Give me:
    Free light armor on bulls, and a 4+ armor save upgrade option on IGs
    Bulls that are either cheaper or better (ironfists that count as both XHW and shield would be a great start)
    Ironguts with WS4
    Yhetees who don't roll over and die when you sneeze at them
    Leadbelchers who can actually earn back even a fraction of their points
    Gnoblar goat riding fast cav (ok maybe not this)
    Rhinox riders with official rule and model support
    A couple points off the scraplauncher with a plastic model
    A hunter with 1 more BS who can move-and-fire
    A magic item list where there is more than one choice in each category worth taking
    Big Names that are actually useful or worth taking at all
    Cheaper Maneaters
    A Slavegiant that is stubborn/unbreakable when near the tyrant (More scared of the Tyrant than the Enemy)
    Bull Charge at least working on infantry/cavalry from any distance
    A little more variety.

pretty much all of this

I'm probably gonna start playing flames of war until I get a new ogre book

at this point, I simply cannot compete on even a non-competitive level anymore

PiptheFair on
This discussion has been closed.