Options

Fable II: Buy the DLC, or the lead designer gets it.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    fraggle: which bug did you run into?

also

Pemulis wrote: »
    On-topic!: I have more groinshot kills than headshots. disarmings are second, mostly because people put their weapons in front of their crotches.

Shooting people's dicks off never gets old!

damn straight. there should have been an achievement for it. remember that TV show Reboot? Those guys would hate me.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I encountered a weird one. Not sure what triggered it, I was halfway through the quest for the body parts for that dead woman, but basically I could not speak or interact with any quest characters or demon doors. The demon doors actually remained as simple textures however close I got, they wouldn't "pop out". Shops worked, but I could not progress the story or any side quests. Had to restart!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    JasonR66JasonR66 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't been keeping up with this thread so I don't know how many people here have been disappointed in this game or not. I personally was. The game isn't bad it's just not as good as I was hoping. I think I finally figured out why I was so disappointed and am curious as to what people here think.

Fable 2 has just a huge number of things for the player to do. The developers did a great job making Fable 2 a great compilation of nearly all other games. But, to me, they didn't provide the player a reason to experience any of it. The game's NPC interaction is shallow, the real-life simulation is boring, and overall there is no real pull to experience all that is there. The game can't be faulted by it's ambition but it's execution is really off. Does anyone else think this way?

JasonR66 on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JasonR66 wrote: »
    I haven't been keeping up with this thread so I don't know how many people here have been disappointed in this game or not. I personally was. The game isn't bad it's just not as good as I was hoping. I think I finally figured out why I was so disappointed and am curious as to what people here think.

Fable 2 has just a huge number of things for the player to do. The developers did a great job making Fable 2 a great compilation of nearly all other games. But, to me, they didn't provide the player a reason to experience any of it. The game's NPC interaction is shallow, the real-life simulation is boring, and overall there is no real pull to experience all that is there. The game can't be faulted by it's ambition but it's execution is really off. Does anyone else think this way?

I see what you mean, but I kind of liked it like that. I sort of made my character have his own voice, imagined why he was doing these things, what he was thinking, etc. The motivation for what he was doing came from me, not from the game. In essence, I was role playing in a role playing game.

I can understand how that wouldn't work for everyone, though.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I fixed my previous bug, where Fable II would freeze randomly by installing it to my hard drive, but now I've got a new bug that's driving me nuts.

My character was bumped into while he was attempting to 'Vault'. Consequently my character did not jump but instead got stock on the ledge for a moment before permanently being in a part of the vault animation. Arms raised and legs together, now he just floats everywhere. Everything is fine except that combat is a bit more clunky and my XP bonus is always 0%.

SOB, right?

Can anyone help?

I couldn't find a fix anywhere but I found a youtube video of a guy who has the same problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxRIIV-cJdg

MindLib on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2008
    you reset, right?

Tube on
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    you reset, right?

Of course I did! That's the first thing I tried. Yeesh you must think I'm an idiot.

In pure coincidence It's a miracle, it just up and magically fixed itself.

MindLib on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Honestly you would be surprised at the amount of people who would not have tried that.

Tube on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have a strange Fable 2 bug. The little score box for the shooting gallery won't go away. It just sits there, always.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did you try playing the shooting game again?

A few people have had a problem like that with the house decoration text.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have a little glitch that irks me whenever I'm in Bowerstone. The furniture saleswoman there for some reason has no inventory except for a book no matter how long I wait. I'm getting some point cards anyway. 3000+ points should get me at least the Fable II DLC and Fallout III's monthly DLC releases.

Jay Foxfire on
    Mailman12089.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MindLib wrote: »
    I fixed my previous bug, where Fable II would freeze randomly by installing it to my hard drive, but now I've got a new bug that's driving me nuts.

My character was bumped into while he was attempting to 'Vault'. Consequently my character did not jump but instead got stock on the ledge for a moment before permanently being in a part of the vault animation. Arms raised and legs together, now he just floats everywhere. Everything is fine except that combat is a bit more clunky and my XP bonus is always 0%.

SOB, right?

Can anyone help?

I couldn't find a fix anywhere but I found a youtube video of a guy who has the same problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxRIIV-cJdg

If there was a way to make this bug happen for sure, 100% of the time, I'd be all over it. I'd love to make my one guy, the first one, who now has little to nothing to do in the world, become some sort of flying superhero and the god of all of Albion.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That video is awesome.

So what happens when you fight people? Does the damage just get applied without any animation?

Pemulis on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That video is awesome.

So what happens when you fight people? Does the damage just get applied without any animation?

HOPEFULLY.

Going home to just vault until it happens...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    That video is awesome.

HOPEFULLY.

Going home to just vault until it happens...

Yeah, then you'd really be like a god. With mind bullets!

Pemulis on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    george-x wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

What??

You do realize all the jobs have a score multiplier which increases forever right? As in, one chop in minute 10 is probably worth about an hour of work in minute one. You'll make more money faster by doing jobs, than by any other way, even with the cheats.

Yeah I understand, but the wood chopping one is supposed to be the shittiest payoff. I made a bunch with the blacksmith work, and I heard the bartending one was great. Sorry, thought you were teasing...I heard from a bunch of people that the woodchopping isnt even worthwhile

I still don't know what to do about the mansion. Damn, it was all my money! hah

I just found woodchopping the easiest, with the jobs the vital thing is to never fail, and build your multiplier. % fail chance is the most important thing, and with woodchopping I could chop away for ages

You can't really fail at buying low and selling high. Sales are quicker.

This is truth. You don't even have to try hard with this... all I did was buy from the Blacksmith in Bowerstone, then run over to Fairfax and sell (making sure both vendors had full <3 for me). The money even in the beginning was pretty huge compared to what anything else was getting me, but then I bought the Blacksmith and my profits only grew! I also kept an eye out for sales in Oakfield, since that was the only other town I had open at the time. With these profits I bought taverns and other businesses, and also used the augment on my weapon for awhile that gave gold for every kill.

Coming up on the 3rd Hero, I'm lugging around well over a million gold. :P

I had put Fable 2 away for quite awhile after beating it, playing Fallout 3 and then Wrath of the Lich King, but recently I picked it up again and I have to say, it's as fun as ever. I'm running through with a new hero (because my old favorite chose the wrong ending) who usually does good things in the end, but along the way tends to get greedy and often forgets to consider his fellow human. I guess the extreme of that was when (midgame spoils)
    ...he did sacrifice people at the Temple of Shadows, including many monks, but only to get the sword... after that he aided the Temple of Light and defended them from the badguys just before leaving to the Spire.

In the real world that makes him pretty evil, but in Albion people only see how great things turned out! He's sitting right in the middle of hte good/evil scale currently, and his purity/corruption meter moves back and forth as I try to raise rents on profitable businesses, then buy enough shacks and wagons to counter the corruption gained. It's working pretty well.

The DLC being delayed gives me plenty enough time to finish this run-through and probably get bored of the game, so then I'll have a reason to come back to Albion one more time. Joy!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I bought a little shack in Westcliff, which I can't upgrade or rent out, and when you look at its history it says something like _BUILDING_HISTORY_NONE and the category below it has something similar. Oops. Someone forgot to write a building history.

Also- does anyone know if the XP potions will yield more if consumed after a battle with an XP bonus? Getting 65k + a 200% bonus would be amazing.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I acquired this game yesterday, and I purchased two stalls with incomes of 10 gold.

I'm booting up today, where I will hopefully see thousands in the bank.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    will this game have an expansion pack? like a GoTY edition?

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    More than likely, or they'll just have the Platinum edition have any DLC up to that point, like Perfect Dark Zero.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    L.E.O. wrote: »
    will this game have an expansion pack? like a GoTY edition?

If they can make money on it, they most certainly will. So, yah.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fable 2 on Amazon for $44 + free shipping

Just an FYI for people like me who still don't have this game.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got this for Christmas. I am thoroughly enjoying it. My big purple gem hammer also enjoys bashing in your face.

Do pistols ever get useful, or should I stick to crossbows?

Houn on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    I got this for Christmas. I am thoroughly enjoying it. My big purple gem hammer also enjoys bashing in your face.

I dig rifles now that my Skill levels are up.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Houn wrote: »

Clockwork and flintlock pistols are awesome.

Shooting dicks and heads off is awesome.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Meh, so far the only pistols I've seen have done crap for damage. The Crossbow seems a nice trade-off between speed and damage.

I should note I mostly try to kill with the Crossbow + Time Control, and only bust out The Hammer when I'm surrounded. Or when I'm with my wife. :winky:

Houn on
  • Options
    QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just always used crossbows because the idea of guns in a fantasy game doesn't sit quite right with me. And speaking of sales, do they just stop after you beat the game? I haven't had a single sale/shortage since going through the main storyline.

A bit late on this, but I wanted to speak my piece on the ending. It definitely works on an artistic level.
    Losing the dog, a key game component, helps hit home the real meaning of sacrifice. Intellectually, it is interesting to see a different kind of end-game where you can end the villain's monologue with one shot...just because it's something out of the norm.
    After you finish the game and think back on the story, these things have plenty of meaning and carry emotional weight. But both of these things do NOT work on a gaming level. They simply don't.
    Losing the dog means you can't fully play the game, which is the entire point to.....y'know.....playing a game. As for Lucien, a one-shot monologue ender is nice for its stepping outside of normal boss fights...but it is absolutely, totally, and completely a dud from a gaming perspective. You do nothing but point and fire, once. After all that final build-up...coming back from 'death' a second time, rushing up the Spire to stop Lucien before he destroys the world to make room for his, and severing his attempt to siphon power from the three Heroes; the big confrontation that has been building since the first moment you popped in the game is at hand.
    You are preparing yourself for what is supposed to be the most challenging test of your playing skills in this game, as most end-game battles are. And, you get nothing. It's absolutely a huge letdown. Maybe the pure intellectual wanking would be great if Fable 2 was a semi-interactive movie, but it's not. It is a video game and those two end-game bits
    - losing the dog and no end battle whatsoever -
    utterly fail, on a gaming level.

As for the second childhood sequence after
    Lucien shoots you at Bower Lake
    , that was just retarded. Yes I "get the point", but that point could have come across just as powerfully in a cutscene rather than make the giant mistake of forcing the player to actually play that sequence out. The gameplay there was totally out of place, and insulting to the gamer.

Still a fun game outside of the disappointing (though intellectually stimulating)end, though. I had planned to go Evil/Pure but the lack of save game slots (another "intellectually nice, HORRID from a gaming perspective" choice) ended up pushing me more towards generic Good/Pure.
    Though I did screw over the gravekeeper and marry Lady Grey
    ....who now conveniently spends her days invisible and inside what appears to be a doghouse in Fairfax Gardens, with our child hovering outside it. I also suffer from the Bowerstone Furniture Store bug, and after having three other families to spread the Hero bloodline I have now been divorced by everyone not
    Lady Grey.
    Apparently despite being deliriously happy and well kept, traveling to Bloodstone then back causes wives to divorce.

And let me join in the chorus of "Let me kill Reaver!" sentiments. Stephen Fry or no, Reaver deserves a slow, painful, humiliating death.
    His personality was the kindling and the casual betrayal attempts/shooting of Barnum/trading of all the citizens of Oakvale for his eternal youth were the sparks that lit the fire of my hate for him.
    I haven't ever actively disliked a video game character as much as I do Reaver....so I guess kudos to Molyneux and crew for another intellectual victory. :P

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't see how the second sequence was insulting.

Also jesus christ spoiler your entire post.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    hey is anybody around that can help me transfer some gold between two of my characters? :U

also, does anybody know how to get around the bug where you freeze if you complete the crucible perfectly an additional time?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can help you out, tasty. Though I may be a bit too late.

Egos on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hey is anybody around that can help me transfer some gold between two of my characters? :U

also, does anybody know how to get around the bug where you freeze if you complete the crucible perfectly an additional time?

If you go into first person view the cross in the lower left should appear. Hitting up on the d-pad should take you into the quest or sale menu depending.

That's how I got out of it anyway.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh man, bartending is where it's at. I got a chain of 65 last night (15x modifier is the max, it seems) and was pulling in 720g a pop at 4stars. I only stopped because I leveled up to 5star.

Then I bought the bar.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »
    If you go into first person view the cross in the lower left should appear. Hitting up on the d-pad should take you into the quest or sale menu depending.

That's how I got out of it anyway.
    Yea, I did that and was even able to port around to different regions. But my hero still wouldn't respond. Even popped in a co-op dude and got him killed to no effect. Fortunately it didn't save... but it's the quickest way to get the xp for the completionist achievement.

@Egos: Yea, I was sleep long before your post. I didn't know you had fable 2 though. If I see you online and you're not busy today or tomorrow could you help me do it then prz?

actual spoiler below:
    oddly enough last night curiosity got the better of me and I married Lady Grey. Originally didn't allow the grave dude to marry her because I felt it was wrong to bring somebody back from the dead and put a love potion or whatever on them.

but whatever, did you know she can have kids? So I have a half-undead daughter now, and the achievement... o_O

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    rusty6713rusty6713 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When folks got to the wraith marsh area of the game for the first time, did the camera get all shaky every so often? I'm not sure if this is a bug or supposed to be an "earthquake" or something. Anyone encounter this?

Thanks!

rusty6713 on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

@Egos: Yea, I was sleep long before your post. I didn't know you had fable 2 though. If I see you online and you're not busy today or tomorrow could you help me do it then prz?

actual spoiler below:
    oddly enough last night curiosity got the better of me and I married Lady Grey. Originally didn't allow the grave dude to marry her because I felt it was wrong to bring somebody back from the dead and put a love potion or whatever on them.

but whatever, did you know she can have kids? So I have a half-undead daughter now, and the achievement... o_O

yeah I can help today

Egos on
  • Options
    SniperLogicSniperLogic ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just beat it (received as an Xmas gift...nice way to blow some of my extra vacation days). Absolutely loved it.

Definition of Irony: Upon completion, the game bombed out when it was displaying the credits for "Testers".

Yes, I know it was likely a hardware thing, but after vaulting so many bugs to get to the end I thought it was pretty funny.

SniperLogic on
    Steam/PSN: StandrdDeviation
    BNet: StandrdError#1826
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Finished it today.
    Fuck Reaver. I've never actually disliked a character in a videogame as much as I dislike him. He killed Barnum, a hilarious character I was hoping to see more of in the DLC, and during the already anti-climactic final scene, he steals my kill, taking away any possible enjoyment I would have gotten from it. Fuck.

Christ, I hope we can see him again in DLC, and strangle him.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kenninator wrote: »
    Finished it today.
    Fuck Reaver. I've never actually disliked a character in a videogame as much as I dislike him. He killed Barnum, a hilarious character I was hoping to see more of in the DLC, and during the already anti-climactic final scene, he steals my kill, taking away any possible enjoyment I would have gotten from it. Fuck.

I was playing a Pure/Evil character on my first run. Gonna do it for my second, too. :D
    Sure Reaver's an evil, conniving bastard. But damn, I admired his style.
    Oh, and I shot Lucien in the face before he even got his first sentence out.

Edit: And I chose love. Fuck everything else, I want my dog back.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dubh wrote: »
    Kenninator wrote: »
    Finished it today.

I was playing a Pure/Evil character on my first run. Gonna do it for my second, too. :D
    Sure Reaver's an evil, conniving bastard. But damn, I admired his style.
    Oh, and I shot Lucien in the face before he even got his first sentence out.

Edit: And I chose love. Fuck everything else, I want my dog back.
    I thought he was going to be a great character. A Robin Hood type guy or something. But all that bullshit at once and in seqence really ruined the story for me entirely. I mean, I was playing a good character. This jerk steals my health, makes fun of me for it, murders someone right in front of me, and right after that informs me he's told Lucien where I am. That there wasn't an option to bash his head in and drag him to where he was needed is pretty dang frustrating. That the other heroes seemed to accept him entirely was a slap in the face.

And I just learned he was responsible for the destruction of Oakvalle. What the fuck.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    games shouldn't contain characters that aren't likeable. it ruins it.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.