As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Football 2008: Pick'em info on page 1

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Sloppier blow job: Madden calling a Favre game, or tonight with Tebow?

I've never heard anything as ridiculous as tonight. Not even from local TV announcers, who are usually paid employees of the teams they announce for.

"Superman."

"The first thing he's ever done wrong in his life."

"Spending 5 minutes around Tim Tebow will improve your life."

"Greatest player in the history of college football."

Political ads don't fellate their subjects as much as FOX has Tebow tonight.

You forgot "So and so said that Tebow would be the 4th best quarterback in the Big 12"

"Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard"

Really? The most ridiculous?

Wasn't it more declarative than that? Like "the most ridiculous thing anyone's ever said?"

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OskiOski Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone feel like this sort of proved the whole "the SEC can play defense" thing? I mean the Gators got a spectacular effort from their offense, but I think they won cause of their defense, which stuffed the Sooners.

Oski on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    All it proved to me was that Fox needs to be destroyed. Also I had to suffer through those two asshats all season because they're the Big Ten Network's #1 team. So Jim Delaney needs to be fired as well. Gaaaaah.

But yes, it was a nice performance by Florida's defense. The thing is, all the Big 12 offenses suffered in the postseason and weren't nearly as high powered as they were in the conference.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Sloppier blow job: Madden calling a Favre game, or tonight with Tebow?

I've never heard anything as ridiculous as tonight. Not even from local TV announcers, who are usually paid employees of the teams they announce for.

"Superman."

"The first thing he's ever done wrong in his life."

"Spending 5 minutes around Tim Tebow will improve your life."

"Greatest player in the history of college football."

Political ads don't fellate their subjects as much as FOX has Tebow tonight.

I dunno, Madden with Favre gets pretty absurd. After his 4th INT "It's so great! He's just having fun out there! It's like he's a little kid!"

Of course, I hate Favre with a passion. So I might be biased. But that it even got close to Madden with Favre and may have even surpassed it...

I can't believe I'm actually glad ESPN is getting the rights to a sporting event.
    Yeah, fuck Favre.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    All it proved to me was that Fox needs to be destroyed. Also I had to suffer through those two asshats all season because they're the Big Ten Network's #1 team. So Jim Delaney needs to be fired as well. Gaaaaah.

But yes, it was a nice performance by Florida's defense. The thing is, all the Big 12 offenses suffered in the postseason and weren't nearly as high powered as they were in the conference.

Basically, it emphasized what's been shown time and again in the NFL - offense is flashier and tends to get you highlight reels, but defense is what wins games.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know, given that Tebow's a pretty devout Christian, I'm pretty sure he'd be uncomfortable with the sloppy blowjobs he was getting all night from the announcers.

"It's unquestionable that Tebow is the greatest leader in college football."

Give me a fucking break. It's arguable that he was even the greatest leader on that field.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What pissed me off about the entire game was that gator wide receiver (not familiar with the team at all) made a first down gesture he got unsportsmanlike conduct (ie excessive celebration)...but yet when Tebus got up after his first down run and incited the crowd and jumped up and down all over the field they didn't get shit. What the hell was up with that?

Crayon on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oski wrote: »
    Does anyone feel like this sort of proved the whole "the SEC can play defense" thing? I mean the Gators got a spectacular effort from their offense, but I think they won cause of their defense, which stuffed the Sooners.

No. Despite Sam Bradford having a near flawless night, OU lost because their receiving corps. couldn't hold on to any balls which resulted in some terribly fortuitous turnovers for Florida.

rchou on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Every time Bradford looks over to the sideline before the snap, he looks totally confused.

Spikes in the neutral zone at the snap and pass interference on Okla's 4th down. Refs have completely disappeared from this game, on both sides. These refs are Pac 10 bad.

Bah, they're Big Ten bad.

None of the referees from the other BCS conferences are as bad as the PAC-10's refs. Aside from the infamous Oregon vs. Oklahoma (2006) and BYU vs. Washington (2008) calls, you see, week in and week out, classic calls like this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHNGihl40u4&feature=related

or this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mc7Z8sSlwc&feature=related

or this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1QGjGFYlg&feature=related

and so on.

Matrijs on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What I didn't get was, OU was doing a "hurry up", but EVERY freaking play they'd line up, then get back out of their stances while Bradford looked to the sideline and changed the play, then run the play. I've never seen anything like that before.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What I didn't get was, OU was doing a "hurry up", but EVERY freaking play they'd line up, then get back out of their stances while Bradford looked to the sideline and changed the play, then run the play. I've never seen anything like that before.

Really? It's one of the big tenets of the spread. A play is called, the coach in the booth looks down from above and sees if the defensive alignment merits a change in the playcall, relays that to someone on the sideline who signals it in, everyone looks over to see if there's a change. It's really more a no huddle than a hurry up. Fox is dumb.

Incidentally, it limits the number of pre-snap reads the QB has to make, which is one of the reasons we haven't seen a ton of spread QBs go on to have success in the NFL.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow that last one pisses me off more than anything.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Really? It's one of the big tenets of the spread. A play is called, the coach in the booth looks down from above and sees if the defensive alignment merits a change in the playcall, relays that to someone on the sideline who signals it in, everyone looks over to see if there's a change. It's really more a no huddle than a hurry up. Fox is dumb.

Fox kept running that counter ticking off the seconds since the last play (why not just show the play clock? subtraction too difficult for the TV viewing audience?), and the announcers were talking about hurrying to the line to stop UF's pass rush, or something. That's what got me confused as to why they'd hurry to the line and then stand around for 15 seconds or more.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    rchou wrote: »

No. Despite Sam Bradford having a near flawless night, OU lost because their receiving corps. couldn't hold on to any balls which resulted in some terribly fortuitous turnovers for Florida.

And because of great play by the defense...

Oski on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    and tim tebow IS arguably the best leader in college football. i mean its obviously really subjective, but he's illustrated time and again on the national scale that he is capable of making a team better with his mere presence

Oski on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Fox kept running that counter ticking off the seconds since the last play (why not just show the play clock? subtraction too difficult for the TV viewing audience?), and the announcers were talking about hurrying to the line to stop UF's pass rush, or something. That's what got me confused as to why they'd hurry to the line and then stand around for 15 seconds or more.

Remember: these announcers argued about going for it on fourth down when it was third down and stated as if it was a brilliant observation that you had to go for it down 10 with 2:20 left.

They're morons.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    and tim tebow IS arguably the best leader in college football. i mean its obviously really subjective, but he's illustrated time and again on the national scale that he is capable of making a team better with his mere presence

His mere presence? O_o

I don't think what we saw tonight was anything outside of what Utah could have put up there. This was a pretty choppy game. I hope this lets us ride out the uproar against the BCS.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No, I'm pretty sure he's capable of throwing an accurate ball, being a fullback with a cannon, and having a ton of really fast people around him.

Florida's defense sucked last year, Tebow won the Heisman, they finished 9-4 and lost to Michigan in the Citrus Bowl.

Florida's defense was significantly improved this year, Tebow was the runner up for the Heisman, they finished 13-1 and won the MNC.

What changed...

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

No, I'm pretty sure he's capable of throwing an accurate ball, being a fullback with a cannon, and having a ton of really fast people around him.

Florida's defense sucked last year, Tebow won the Heisman, they finished 9-4 and lost to Michigan in the Citrus Bowl.

Florida's defense was significantly improved this year, Tebow was the runner up for the Heisman, they finished 13-1 and won the MNC.

What changed...

Being infused with that much Tebow for that many 5 minute periods changed the innate abilities of the defense.

Clearly.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    he found his niche as captain, improved on his overall throwing skills, etc.

obviously the florida defense played a huge role in this game. but if your going to talk single player effort you have to bring up the name tebow

or harvin, they probably have shared it

and was it just me or was chris rainey brought down by a horse collar tackle?

Oski on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What changed...

Being infused with that much Tebow for that many 5 minute periods changed the innate abilities of the defense.

Clearly.

You can talk shit all you want, but he's a leader. Theres no way of getting around that. The FOX sportscasters obviously went a little over the top, but that doesn't change the fact that that guy makes a team better, with both his onfield and leadership abilities.

Oski on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What game were you watching? The only really impressive defensive stop by Florida was the one with about 3 minutes left to play that effectively sealed the deal. Yeah, they held them to just 2 TDs, but OU still moved the ball at will about 70% of their drives. A bad call (3rd and 1 with the tailback breaking the plane but ruling it down at inches) and a butterfingered pass by the coveted mismatch TE [whose name escapes me atm] were the difference from 28-24 and 24-14.

Both teams played sloppy football and neither looked like it belonged there. The only two players who lived up to the hype were the two QBs. Tebow because he literally put the team on his shoulders with his 75 yard rushing drive and Bradford because he was impeccable all fucking night.

Regardless, Florida won. So congrats to them.

rchou on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

What game were you watching? The only really impressive defensive stop by Florida was the one with about 3 minutes left to play that effectively sealed the deal.

Well, there was also the drive in the second quarter where they stopped Oklahoma on the 1 yard line twice.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What game were you watching? The only really impressive defensive stop by Florida was the one with about 3 minutes left to play that effectively sealed the deal.

Well, there was also the drive in the second quarter where they stopped Oklahoma on the 1 yard line twice.

Second time, yeah. First time looked like he broke the plane.

rchou on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    And then of course their were the interceptions on the Heisman winning quarterback...and the holding of a defense thats hung 60 plus points on its last five opponents to only fourteen...

Oski on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Goddammit, did you even see the game? Both interceptions were off the hands of the receivers. Both were perfectly thrown passes shut down by butterfingers.

rchou on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Um, no ones arguing they were perfectly thrown balls...thats what makes the fact the defense got them so awesome. The first one was bumbled, the second was just a great pick.

Oski on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd go

1. Utah
    2. USC
    3. Florida
    4. Texas
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Alabama
    7. Penn State
    8. TCU
    9. Oregon
    10. Ohio St
    11. Georgia
    12. Boise St
    13. Virginia Tech
    14. Ole Miss
    15. Oregon St
    16. Cincinnati
    17. Missouri
    18. Texas Tech
    19. Oklahoma St
    20. Iowa
    21. Florida St
    22. BYU
    23. Pittsburgh
    24. Calfiornia
    25. Tulsa

I had Utah and USC 1-2 going into last night's game and I didn't see anything that changed my mind.

Final AP Poll
    1. Florida (48) 1606
    2. Utah (16) 1519
    3. USC (1) 1481
    4. Texas 1478
    5. Oklahoma 1478
    6. Alabama 1264
    7. TCU 1193
    8. Penn St 1153
    9. Ohio St 1013
    10. Oregon 997

Final Coaches Poll
    1. Florida (60) 1524
    2. USC 1393
    3. Texas 1389
    4. Utah (1) 1375
    5. Oklahoma 1333
    6. Alabama 1157
    7. TCU 1114
    8. Penn St 1091
    9. Oregon 1011
    10. Georgia 904

Texas' Mach Brown did not follow through on his pledge to vote the Longhorns #1. Utah's Kyle Wittingham did follow through on his pledge to vote the Utes #1.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Um, no ones arguing they were perfectly thrown balls...thats what makes the fact the defense got them so awesome. The first one was bumbled, the second was just a great pick.

No, the second interception was bobbled as well. He coughed it up and right into the hands of the defender. OU's receivers looked like the pressure got to them.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Is Tebow basically just a white Vince Young?

Well, that's probably not accurate at all based on the fact that he's mostly a short yardage runner. Maybe a Bucky Richardson comparison would be more apt.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Buh. Posting last night would have been bad. Now that I have sobered up, here are some thoughts.

1. FOX is the worst sports broadcasting company ever. Like, in the history of ever. I've never heard commentators fellate a team and/or player as much as they did last night over Tim "Jesus Himself" Tebow. They managed to be worse than Kirk Herbstreit when he gushes on and on about Ohio State and Texas. Give me a fucking break.

2. I'm starting to become a little embarrassed over Oklahoma's inability to win the big game. For whatever reason, Stoops just can't keep the team fired up after the regular season ends. I think that if last night's game had been played the week after the Big XII championship, Oklahoma would have done much better since they would have still been in the mindset of the regular season. Not saying that the outcome would have been different, but I think the "real" Oklahoma would have shown up and actually made a game of it.

3. Bradford looked confused and made some really bad decisions last night. Throwing the ball in to traffic because there's no where to throw is a lot worse than just throwing the ball away.

4. Not converting for *any* points in the red zone, twice, is really, really, really bad.

5. Did Oklahoma not watch film? Tim Tebow Up the Middle is the default play for Florida 75% of the time.

Overall, I'm disappointed but not really surprised that Florida won. I picked Oklahoma because it's my school but I didn't put many points on the game in our bowl pick'em. Oh well... there's always next year.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No, the second interception was bobbled as well. He coughed it up and right into the hands of the defender. OU's receivers looked like the pressure got to them.

This.

If I remember correctly, Tebow is the QB who was picked twice on bad decisions.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    he threw those interceptions for the greater glory of God.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't stand Fox, either. Their NFL pre-game show is fuckawful, and their main power couple of sportscasting (Aikman and Buck) is arguably the most boring in the league.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fox is indeed the worst at every sport. I hate all of the unnecessary graphics and shit, especially those stupid robots. And their announcer teams are pretty bad. CBS can be pretty crappy too.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    They should hire us to do it. At least our color commentating would actually be "colorful."

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    and was it just me or was chris rainey brought down by a horse collar tackle?

Pretty sure he was. I also don't see how on OU's first drive, where the receiver gets KTFO, wasn't an PI.

I'm just glad everyone got to see how terrible ACC refs have been.

*edit*I like this one by an ACC ref

Also, does anyone remember when #75 on the Gators OL gets called for 2 holdings on the same play, how come it wasn't 1st and 20 instead of 1st and 15?

*edit2*I also didn't know you'd get called for unsportsmanlike conduct for doing the 1st down motion, when, you know, you get a 1st down

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    lordswing wrote: »
    *edit2*I also didn't know you'd get called for unsportsmanlike conduct for doing the 1st down motion, when, you know, you get a 1st down

It wasn't that he *did* the first down motion. It's that he did it like a jackass and made a huge deal out of it.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    5. Did Oklahoma not watch film? Tim Tebow Up the Middle is the default play for Florida 75% of the time.

I was wondering this myself. Even if they didn't watch the tapes, after the 2nd or 3rd 3rd down Tebow run, I would have thought the def coordinator would have learned to adapt.

The title game was alright; I think the Fiesta and Sugar games were more fun to watch for me as a non-fan of any of the teams.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's too bad Millen got fired, or the Lions could draft Crabtree #1 now.

enlightenedbum on