Options

Reading is fun!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Davoid wrote: »
    So I picked up Beasts of No Nation by Uzodinma Iweala and Roberto Bolano's The Savage Detectives

Also Chester Brown's I Never Liked You but I'm not sure if that counts

I was trying to find copies of Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad after someone stole my copy at a party, but, no luck

Also, Punsie is gone? Awwwww maaaaannn

Actually, Punsie is still here

Punsie is the only one here

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There is a little Punsie in all of us
    :winky:

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the upside to this is that anytime I want to express my confrontationally stupid opinions, I can just chalk it up to "Skull Man is an idiot"

for so long I've been pulled down by my association with this dude, now I'm walking on sunshine

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm Ricky the Rat to his Mickey Mouse from now on, forever and ever

horrible and misshapen

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Need some help finding a book. I believe its a fantasy book. Two different groups live near each other. One is a warrior/hunter type group, the other is a strange group that has a thing about sleeping, dreams (they think dreams are important) and everyone shares parenting. The main character's father is a or the leader of the warrior group, and he has a possibly crazy sister who turns out to be a dragon. I don't know why but the main character (warrior group) and his friend from the other group set out to travel, either because they did something or they're carrying a message, I can't remember. There are invaders, and the main characters father is captured, and at some point sleeps with a human/invader hybrid female. Near or at the end the main character has found a cursed dagger of some sort.

I maybe read this several years ago, and I think it was newish at the time. A biggish book, but it was the hardback I remember reading.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    man Tube could have at least let them keep the avatar and sig

it completed the ensemble

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    halfway through Kitchen Confidential

It's awesome

how are his other books?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Need some help finding a book. I believe its a fantasy book. Two different groups live near each other. One is a warrior/hunter type group, the other is a strange group that has a thing about sleeping, dreams (they think dreams are important) and everyone shares parenting. The main character's father is a or the leader of the warrior group, and he has a possibly crazy sister who turns out to be a dragon. I don't know why but the main character (warrior group) and his friend from the other group set out to travel, either because they did something or they're carrying a message, I can't remember. There are invaders, and the main characters father is captured, and at some point sleeps with a human/invader hybrid female. Near or at the end the main character has found a cursed dagger of some sort.

I maybe read this several years ago, and I think it was newish at the time. A biggish book, but it was the hardback I remember reading.
    that does not sound like a good book

abort your quest

Faricazy on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »

abort your quest

Yeah, that sounds like shit
    Why not read a real book?

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Holy shit

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    FARI

while you're here, I know this is the book thread but

have you heard Father of Death? the single from the next Protomen album?

I just heard it today and it is awesome

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    no i'm thinking of ignoring everything until the album comes out

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But it is soooooo good

the B-side is a cover of "No Easy Way Out" from Rocky IV!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    halfway through Kitchen Confidential

It's awesome

how are his other books?

they are spectacular

especially nasty bits

i love his short story writing so

also, he has a travel book with tons of pictures based on his travel network show, no reservations, that is hella pretty

and if you want more food books, check out michael ruhlman's making of a chef and bill buford's heat

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    no reservations is on in front of me right this moment

it's a good episode too

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    RUHLMAN

Faricazy on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

truly my life is not complete without this book

YaYa on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Almost done with The Eyre Affair, thanks for the heads up, folks. Quite enjoying it.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Almost done with The Eyre Affair, thanks for the heads up, folks. Quite enjoying it.

finish it as fast as you can

the Eyre Affair is the worst book just because it's setting up the absolute literary hilarity of the rest of them

YaYa on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Really? Oh man awesome.

People told me the same thing about the first Malazon book. All, oh well just suffer through the first one to get to the rest. I..I like the first one.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    by about halfway through Lost in a Good Book you'll probably be catatonic at the sheer volume of literary references

YaYa on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So apparently theres this annual list of weird book titles. One of the recent ones was "Tattooed Mountain Women and Spoon Boxes of Daghestan". Is it wrong that that sounds both intesting and perfectly sensible to me?

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BusterK wrote: »

abort your quest

Yeah, that sounds like shit
    Why not read a real book?

I don't want to read it, I just want to remember what it's bloody called, it's been bugging me, and I don't want to spend money for 2 trains to get to the library where I first took it out. I do remember skipping like the whole middle half of it though.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How do you know when to stop skipping? Do you start a chapter, find out it's crap, then skip to the next? Do you skip like 50 pages ahead to see if it picks up?

Why not skip the whole rest of the book if it's not good?

Ivar on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So apparently theres this annual list of weird book titles. One of the recent ones was "Tattooed Mountain Women and Spoon Boxes of Daghestan". Is it wrong that that sounds both intesting and perfectly sensible to me?

You want some weird book titles, check out some shit by Carlton Mellick III.

"Satan Burger"
    "Razor Wire Pubic Hair"
    "The Baby Jesus Butt Plug: A Fairytale"
    "Adolf in Wonderland"

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2009
    Im gonna start reading Twilight this week

Unknown User on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    man, newberry medal winners are the shit. i remember a summer in elementary school i spent reading as many as possible that have won up to that point. wrinkle in time and grey king and dear mr. henshaw for life, dawg

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    robothero wrote: »

I wish I had more comforting words, but all I can summon up is, "I'm sorry."

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

What about... "You're a dickhead"?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »

What about... "You're a dickhead"?

I'm not gonna assume that he, in fact, has a penis for his skull. Twilight is just a romance novel for teenagers when it gets broken down; I'm sorry that now he has to know, firsthand, what all of the little kids at Hot Topic are talking about now.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have this unprecedented need to experience horrible things that are trendy first hand, so I can truly understand how completely awful and terrible they are.

I can't explain it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Although I'll probably never read it. I have this cool book about money that I'll probably read instead.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have this unprecedented need to experience horrible things that are trendy first hand, so I can truly understand how completely awful and terrible they are.

I can't explain it.

No, I understand. It's like when some people have to watch horror films back to back.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yay a new book shipped for me

With a probable surgery coming up it'll be some good reading while I can't golf.

ITEM(S) SHIPPED:
    1. Ben Hogans Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals Of Golf

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quoth wrote: »

This is absolutely horrible

Jyardana on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Finally finished Fear & Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72. I'm not entirely sure what I'll read next.

There's this book about 'success' that I've been interested in examining, called Outliers by Malcom Gladwell.

I could also take a crack at reading The Seven Military Classics of Ancient China, which I got for Christmas.

Or I could reread The Lord of the Rings, which I've been meaning to do.

decisions decisions

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    john if you read twilight i'm going to punch you in the dick

Faricazy on
This discussion has been closed.