Options

Mormons are fucking prompt

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    t Wiggin: Saying that somebody doesn't "know" about their belief of a supreme being or their religion is way more aggravating than them spouting off ignorant shit.

If they have a strong enough faith, a conviction, that they feel that they know, then there ain't much you can do to sway their opinion and saying that there is no way they can know is really stupid.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    let's get semaaaantic

v., knew (nū, nyū), known (nōn), know·ing, knows.

v.tr.

1. To perceive directly; grasp in the mind with clarity or certainty.
    2. To regard as true beyond doubt: I know she won't fail.
    3. To have a practical understanding of, as through experience; be skilled in: knows how to cook.
    4. To have fixed in the mind: knows her Latin verbs.
    5. To have experience of: “a black stubble that had known no razor” (William Faulkner).
    1. To perceive as familiar; recognize: I know that face.
    2. To be acquainted with: He doesn't know his neighbors.
    7. To be able to distinguish; recognize as distinct: knows right from wrong.
    8. To discern the character or nature of: knew him for a liar.
    9. Archaic. To have sexual intercourse with.

v.intr.

1. To possess knowledge, understanding, or information.
    2. To be cognizant or aware.

Quoth on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

it makes me very very sad.

That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

No offense intended.

According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

*sigh*

I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

It is hypocritical because your definition of marriage is offensive to other people in this country, yet you expect them to only conform to your definition and religious laws.

It is bigoted because you are discriminating against a group simply because they're different.

It is childish because it all just boils down to you not liking that the other people also get to do what you do without having to meet the same requirements as you.

And as for the bolded part:

TOO FUCKING BAD

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Me Too!

I was waiting for someone to say YOU DON'T ACTUALLY HOLD THIS OPINION YOU'RE JUST JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON

Fuck yourself

Me Too! on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hunter make a mixer of all your hardest liquors

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Proposition 9: Take away Wiggin's right to use capslock.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    God you guys everyone knows the bible was written by time travellers as a way of relating atomic theory to ancient peasants through metaphor.

I mean for real, idiots.

lucretius all up ins

Quoth on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

No offense intended.

According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

*sigh*

I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

You don't KNOW, you believe

Religion is faith. Belief in the absence of proof.

No proof no knowing sorry

I do "know". My explanation of how I know wouldn't be sufficient for you, however. Much like you trying to explain how salt tastes to someone who has never tasted salt.

No you don't because THAT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE DEFINITION OF FAITH YOU FUCKING TOOL

Is he seriously comparing something as broad and open to interpretation as spirituality to a basic taste receptor reaction that an overwhelming number of people have experienced and could come to a basic consensus on?

Hunter on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm in for a round.

Tequila Sunrises for everyone!

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

To be fair. I don't follow gods word at all.

And I'm really damn happy with my life.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    I need a drink

First round is on me, who's in

Count me in; let's get retarded!

retard-1.jpg

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Is he seriously comparing something as broad and open to interpretation as spirituality to a basic taste receptor reaction that an overwhelming number of people have experienced and could come to a basic consensus on?

Yep

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    i'm going to get a coronary from this shit

Dibs on your couch and loveseat.

I need a drink

<raises hand>

We're skipping beer and going right into the smooth stuff. No need for cruise control.

Hunter on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Not sure thats totally fair. My favorite word when I was young was "Why". I constantly and still ask questions. It was actually accepted and encouraged when I was at church. And one of the people I love touting to show that truly intellectual people can be members of the church is Hugh Nibley. Look the guy up. Or Henry B. Eyring. I gots more if you need.
    naw, i got plenty of it on my own, what with what happened to me in three different wards in two different states. and the president of the quorum of the 12 said himself that the three greatest threats to mormonism are 'feminists, intellectuals, and homosexuals'

i am all three to at least some degree

I saw you quoted that earlier in the thread, but you didn't give a link or who actually said it. I would love to read that talk.

boyd k packer of course

He was notorious for this. Another one of those things that the church just pushes aside and doesn't talk about because they can't go back and tell people he was wrong. It's kind of a horrible situation.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh Darth

I have a feeling we would be as an unstoppable force if we hit the bars together.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

You don't KNOW, you believe

Religion is faith. Belief in the absence of proof.

No proof no knowing sorry

I do "know". My explanation of how I know wouldn't be sufficient for you, however. Much like you trying to explain how salt tastes to someone who has never tasted salt.

20070409.jpg

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »
    *sigh*

Because it is the church that marries you, not the government. You are wanting your definition of marriage to be the governments definition of marriage.

Here in America, pushing religion on the government doesn't add inches to your dick.

guys look jigrah said something not stupid

quick, give him some positive reinforcement so maybe he'll keep doing it

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I need a drink

<raises hand>

We're skipping beer and going right into the smooth stuff. No need for cruise control.

Where we're going we don't even need roads.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I need a drink

retard-1.jpg
    i assume you gis'ed "retarded kid"

the third result is rather odd

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

FOR THE LAST TIME, YOURS IS NOT THE ONLY FAITH AROUND, NOR IS IT THE ONLY ONE WITH A CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE

YOU FUCKING IDIOT

AGRGHIU

And they are allowed to express their opinions and vote accordingly as well. More power to em.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Feminist Movement

The next quotation is from a woman who is hurting, and perhaps wonders if anyone but the feminists care about her problems:

"I'm upset that I was always advised to go back and try harder only to get abused more. I need some comfort, I need solace, need hope, need to know Heavenly Father sees all that I have endured. What hope do I have for a chance to live with Heavenly Father? If temple marriage is the key to the celestial [kingdom], where am I? Outside gnashing my teeth for eternity? Help me."

The woman pleading for help needs to see the eternal nature of things and to know that her trials -- however hard to bear -- in the eternal scheme of things may be compared to a very, very bad experience in the second semester of the first grade. She will find no enduring peace in the feminist movement. There she will have no hope. If she knows the plan of redemption, she can be filled with hope.

Apparently if your husband beats you and you don't like it you are a feminist, also, it's really not that bad so get over it. Wow. This can't be what they really believe.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I need a drink

<raises hand>

Break out the bourbon and start a pool on who's a happy drunk, a depressed drunk, or a mean drunk.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So if we all voted to ban Mormonism that would be ok?

Quick guys, let's get on that!

Quoth on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm in for a round.

Tequila Sunrises for everyone!

Oh oh oh can Jigrah join?

Pretty Pretty Please.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I propose an Alcoholicaracy where social class is determined buy demonstrating alcohol tolerance.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh Darth

I have a feeling we would be as an unstoppable force if we hit the bars together.

I am an engine of alcoholic destruction under the right circumstances.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Tossrock wrote: »
    20070409.jpg

love you

Me Too! on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I need a drink

retard-1.jpg

20090213-bjnjanwdridwaqn7qqp7p58hfg.png

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Quoth wrote: »

No, but I wouldn't mind putting a Proposition into California law allowing people to vote on whether or not Mormons could marry. Just to spice things up.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I propose an Alcoholicaracy where social class is determined buy demonstrating alcohol tolerance.

i would be a janitor in such a system :(

all cleaning up barf off the floors

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh Darth

I am an engine of alcoholic destruction under the right circumstances.

Are these circumstances breathing and awake

Me Too! on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I would vote for this a thousand times

like, I would go to jail for electoral fraud

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Hunter's Liver: Change You Can Believe In

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No, but I wouldn't mind putting a Proposition into California law allowing people to vote on whether or not Mormons could marry. Just to spice things up.

sounds good to me

Proposition 666: Mormons can only live in sin (or Utah)

Quoth on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

God damn, Marines would hold every office.

Nothing would be sacred.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I will vote for this

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I need a drink

retard-1.jpg
    20090213-bjnjanwdridwaqn7qqp7p58hfg.png
    Reminder.jpg

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And they are allowed to express their opinions and vote accordingly as well. More power to em.
    So you think that if you were outnumbered by the practitioners of another bigoted religion, and they voted to restrict marriage to only practitioners of said religion, you wouldn't have a problem with it?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

FOR THE LAST TIME, YOURS IS NOT THE ONLY FAITH AROUND, NOR IS IT THE ONLY ONE WITH A CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE

YOU FUCKING IDIOT

AGRGHIU

Oh fuck the voting for a minute. This is a moral issue.

Faricazy on
This discussion has been closed.