Options

[WoW] Warriors: But if I use my mouse to turn, how do I click on Rend?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't understand why warriors are stated as being bad tanks compared to the others?

Yes, I am no better than the other tanks in our guild.
    But I am damn sure that I am a better warrior than 90% of the people who complain that warriors are bad, which is why I don't agree that they aren't equally good tanks.
    Chances are, if you think warrior tanks aren't very good, its probably you who isn't very good.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, how 'bout that 10% damage nerf with Titan's Grip?

Ouch. Hopefully the Arms changes will be decent.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait what?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    they also changed glyph of heroic strike to just an extra 5% chance to crit, which is really gonna effect how often you can spam heroic strike now. I just wish they would hurry up and show the arms buffs so I can decide if I anna go back or not. : /

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I don't understand why warriors are stated as being bad tanks compared to the others?

But I am damn sure that I am a better warrior than 90% of the people who complain that warriors are bad, which is why I don't agree that they aren't equally good tanks.
    Chances are, if you think warrior tanks aren't very good, its probably you who isn't very good.

I'm a good Fury Warrior, and a decent tank. I've run with fantastic warrior tanks though. And they are good, but our paladin puts any warrior to shame in pretty much every way. There's just no competition. AoE Threat, single target threat, you name it. Not to mention his overall damage done by the end of any run is stellar, which makes trash and boss kills faster. And he has all the neat "Oh Shit" buttons warriors have. After that, I'll pick my DK tank, who has 100% avoidance on a relatively short cooldown, meaning we can deal with an Enraged/Frenzied boss for 15 seconds without worry. Not that we hit enrage timers very often these days.
    Blue wrote:
    Talents

* Wrecking Crew (Tier 10) now states that it no longer stacks with enrage.
    * Blood Frenzy (Tier 9) now increases all physical damage done to the target by 2/4%. (Previously was 1/2%)

Fury
    Talents

* Titan's Grip (Tier 11) now reduces physical damage you deal by 10%. Way to get creative, Blizzard.

Protection
    Skills

* Sunder Armor now reduces target's armor by 4% per application. Stacks up to 5. (Previously reduced armor by a set amount)

That stings a little bit. They aren't even trying to hide it or be clever with it this time around, either.

EDIT: There are talks on EJ about there being a possible change to Zerker stance (which a Blue did mention in passing). We'll see if the 10% nerf is just a balance for whatever changes they have in mind. Keep your eyes open, there are a lot of warrior changes headed down the pipeline that we haven't seen yet.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, anyone see that new Shield Wall glyph? Reduces the cooldown by 3min but reduces the damage reduction to 40% (instead of 60%).

I'm thinking there might be some validity in picking that up, and getting improved disciplines to give yourself a nice damage reduction every minute. With the 4 piece bonus you could have an impressive uptime on it.

Of course there are also the new shockwave and vigilance glyphs to consider. Nice to see Warriors are finally getting some glyphs that don't completely blow chunks.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Riale wrote: »
    So, anyone see that new Shield Wall glyph? Reduces the cooldown by 3min but reduces the damage reduction to 40% (instead of 60%).

I'm thinking there might be some validity in picking that up, and getting improved disciplines to give yourself a nice damage reduction every minute. With the 4 piece bonus you could have an impressive uptime on it.

Of course there are also the new shockwave and vigilance glyphs to consider. Nice to see Warriors are finally getting some glyphs that don't completely blow chunks.

I dunno, other than the odd duck here and there (Mocking Blow and Intervene wut), all of our glyphs were great. Each one was useful in its own way, and the only problem was deciding which 3 to pick. Well, you'd have 2 "Must Have" for your spec, and then your choice on the 3rd.

Not too sure about the new ones at the moment though. I don't know if I'd want a 17 sec Shockwave that badly, and we'll have to see if glyphing/talenting Shield Wall turns out to be all that, or not worth the trouble.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey guys! I'm rolling a warrior, an Orc to be precise, and I've gotten him to level 40. It's been good fun, I'm leveling with Prot spec, which is going swimmingly, surprisingly enough to me.

So here's my quick question: What's endgame going to be like for me? I want to tank. How do warriors stack up against the rest for that?

Rend on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I'm a good Fury Warrior, and a decent tank. I've run with fantastic warrior tanks though. And they are good, but our paladin puts any warrior to shame in pretty much every way. There's just no competition. AoE Threat, single target threat, you name it. Not to mention his overall damage done by the end of any run is stellar, which makes trash and boss kills faster. And he has all the neat "Oh Shit" buttons warriors have. After that, I'll pick my DK tank, who has 100% avoidance on a relatively short cooldown, meaning we can deal with an Enraged/Frenzied boss for 15 seconds without worry. Not that we hit enrage timers very often these days.

I don't know what kind of warriors you run with, but I am never beaten by a paladin in single-target threat.
    Warriors are still the single-target kings. You just have to heavily stack expertise and hit to do so. Gone are the days of 24 stamina in every slot. I match our paladin tank for avoidance, and lose out to him on HP slightly (400-500 difference when buffed).

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I don't know what kind of warriors you run with, but I am never beaten by a paladin in single-target threat.
    Warriors are still the single-target kings. You just have to heavily stack expertise and hit to do so. Gone are the days of 24 stamina in every slot. I match our paladin tank for avoidance, and lose out to him on HP slightly (400-500 difference when buffed).

I don't know what kind of paladins you run with, but...

See what I'm doing here? Without server transfers, I guess we'll just never know. I guess you can screenshot your TPS on Patchwerk or something. In my experience, Paladins are the single/multi/tanking -kings.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    * Titan's Grip (Tier 11) now reduces physical damage you deal by 10%. Way to get creative, Blizzard.

EDIT: There are talks on EJ about there being a possible change to Zerker stance (which a Blue did mention in passing). We'll see if the 10% nerf is just a balance for whatever changes they have in mind. Keep your eyes open, there are a lot of warrior changes headed down the pipeline that we haven't seen yet.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Take out the 3% crit buff and give me a 10% damage buff.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I still say titan's grip should be a 20%(or 15-25, whatever's appropriate) speed reduction, but couple it with an equivalent change to instant swing calculations to hold them harmless.

I really don't see how that would be super hard.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Isn't TG the only talent in the game that penalizes you when you take it? It just seems to like dumb design to do so, and I'm also a little confused on why exactly warriors need a 10% damage nerf since we're not even the highest dps at the moment and I don't really see Uldaur gear changing that. We did get a 2% increase with the physical damage buff change, but slapping a flat % decrease on a talent just seems like a stupid way to balance.

khain on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    khain wrote: »
    Isn't TG the only talent in the game that penalizes you when you take it? It just seems to like dumb design to do so, and I'm also a little confused on why exactly warriors need a 10% damage nerf since we're not even the highest dps at the moment and I don't really see Uldaur gear changing that. We did get a 2% increase with the physical damage buff change, but slapping a flat % decrease on a talent just seems like a stupid way to balance.

The design on the talent is that you're taking a 2 hand weapon, one that was normally used by itself and itemized with that notion, and allowing you to use 2 at once now, hence the need for some sort of penalty to counterbalance the big jump.

Of course, that's just the design decision on it. Whether or not they still feel the need to have a penalty, well I don't know. I'm not a Fury warrior, I don't know the numbers and stuff. Personally, I look at a 10% damage decrease and say "So what?". It's 10%, big whoop. It's like the old hit penalty, in that it's not really that big, so why bother. Not to mention Enrage cancels it out completely.

Nobody is going to be destroyed over 10%. But at the same time... nobody is going to be destroyed over 10%, so why have it in the first place.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't seem to find the blue post, but I seem to remember that GC said that while they don't necessarily like talents that give such large dps increases that they become required, TG was going to be one of the exceptions and they were fine balancing around it and basically requiring fury warriors to take it. Of course you still have to balance cross class dps, but slapping a straight % decrease seems like such a lame way to do so.

10% is a pretty huge nerf as it equates to 400-600 dps and puts warriors near the bottom on a lot of fights if you use the WML data. Also Enrage doesn't proc in PvE and is thus totally worthless unless I missed a major change.

WoW Meter Online class rankings is what I use to compare. It takes the top 50 parses for each class for the boss and averages them. Of course this isn't perfect, but its the best place I know of to get a general estimate of how each class ranks.

The biggest thing I don't understand is why Blizzard has such a hard time balancing class dps. The gear any class can use is set from the start and maybe I'm just totally missing something, but if you have a dev environment it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to run tests to find approximate dps under different circumstances. Maybe the 2 classes I've played, a warrior and mage pre-TBC, had simplistic rotations, and thus finding your approximate dps is easy, but it just doesn't seem that hard and Blizzard fails every single patch.

khain on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well either way, I wouldn't start getting pissed over it just yet. The patch hasn't even been up a day. They may as well just remove the change when they realize it doesn't do anything, or that it does too much.

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The biggest thing I don't understand is why Blizzard has such a hard time balancing class dps. The gear any class can use is set from the start and maybe I'm just totally missing something, but if you have a dev environment it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to run tests to find approximate dps under different circumstances. Maybe the 2 classes I've played, a warrior and mage pre-TBC, had simplistic rotations, and thus finding your approximate dps is easy, but it just doesn't seem that hard and Blizzard fails every single patch.

Because rotations are not simple and the only means of getting a real DPS value is through simulations (too difficult to mathematically model). They would need to experiment with rotations with every single change and would need to run a full simulation (on each) with every single change.

And it still only tells them current standings, not what they need to change to make it balanced.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Garthor wrote: »

Because rotations are not simple and the only means of getting a real DPS value is through simulations (too difficult to mathematically model). They would need to experiment with rotations with every single change and would need to run a full simulation (on each) with every single change.

And it still only tells them current standings, not what they need to change to make it balanced.

None of what you said seems like something that they shouldn't do. That seems like exactly what one would expect needs to be done in order to test things like this. I mean, I would at least like to imagine that they don't just do this by trial and error... They are literally being paid to do what you just said, but you said it as if it was ridiculous to expect that to happen.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So after reading the patch notes, despite the TG nerf, I think Warriors got off pretty easy. We had the least amount of changes out of any class and I think that's a good thing. It means we're pretty well balanced and everyone else has to come in line with us.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    But... We're not. We're decidedly middle of the road (if not bottom of the barrel) in PvP, and only Fury was really spectacular in PvE. Prot Warriors are functional, but they don't really have anything exclusive going for them like other tanks that guilds will want for certain fights.

There's still a lot they could do to improve our trees, especially Arms. I'm going to be pretty sad if things go live as is.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They've already said that for prot, at least, they are adding more stuff in during the PTR. So I wouldn't settle into depression just yet arms/fury guys.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It feels rather presumptuous for me to be sticking my head in here, but what the heck.

I just started playing WoW a couple of weeks ago, with my boyfriend. Our first characters were a warrior (me) and a paladin (him) combo, which didn't work so well - we were totally new to the game, we had no idea how to make money, and we were doing the Refer-A-Friend triple exp thing, so we ended up being just woefully undergeared for our levels, so we kept getting our asses kicked by knife-throwing bandits.

After that, he made a hunter and I made a rogue. He loves the hunter, but by the time I got the rogue up to level 24, I decided the class just wasn't for me - too much sidling around and jockeying for position, too much trying to count up combo points, and I really didn't seem to contribute much to our duo because his pet was a better tank and dps source than me.

So, I made a warrior again. And this time, I'm loving it. I've soloed him up to 22, and I picked up two harvesting professions so he's well-geared for his level.

But, I'm at a stage where I have some questions, and I would welcome any advice from the grizzled veterans here.

1. Macroing skills

I've been buying every skill as it becomes available, and now I have just a ton of them in a jumbled mess on my skill bar with no idea of how to use them effectively. I googled for macros, found a few that seemed to apply, and tried them out, but most of them don't do what I want them to do. I don't know if they're outdated or if I'm just using them wrong. Are there any good sites for current macros, or even a super-awesome macro generator somewhere? I'd really love to be able to do one-hit kill stuff like this:

Hit 1 to equip a two-handed weapon, switch to Battle Stance, and Charge the target. When I get within melee range, cast Rend, switch to two one-handed weapons, cast Heroic Strike, cast Overpower. When the target gets down to 30% health, cast Hamstring.

Hit 2 to do all of the above up to Rend, but then switch to shield and mace in Defensive Stance, cast Sunder Armor, cast Disarm.

Basically: is there any way to chain together skills, or to have actions be conditional on other things (like distance from the mob, the percentage of health remaining, etc)?

Also, which skills should I actually be using on a regular basis? When I'm soloing stuff, I tend to just toss Rend on it, maybe do a Heroic Charge, and then it's dead. Within a few kills, my rage bar is full, and I just don't seem to have anything to spend it on. Should I be spamming more Cleave or Overpower? What about Thunderclap, does it make that much of a difference?

2. Spec

So far I've put my (paltry few) points into the Arms tree. I'm not going to be tanking any raids anytime soon, but I don't want to be a total glass cannon either, so it seems like a good balance. Are there any must-have skills, or things I should avoid wasting points on? At what point should I put a bit into Fury?

3. General tips

Anything else I should know about being a warrior? Tips, tricks, advice? Anything would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    1 - You're overcomplicating it a little. For leveling, spec fury and dual wield 100% of the time or go full arms with a two-hander and life will be good. Most macros suck without certain talent and glyph combos, and you're right that a lot of them you find online are going to be outdated. Also, there's no way to automate a full combat sequence like that.

As for having a full rage bar, if you're already throwing out Thunderclap and Demoralizing Shout consistently, spam Heroic Strike. You'll find you run into this less later on when you get more skills like Whirlwind and Execute.

2 - The OP has a good selection of specs now, I think. In Fury, make sure you get Amored to the Teeth and Cruelty first, then go for Booming Voice and Commanding Presence. In Arms you want Impale and Deep Wounds ASAP.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Iroh pretty much nailed it for you, Kate. One thing to note is that with RAF, you do have difficulties keeping your gear up to level and making gold because you're just leveling so much ridiculously faster. It will take until you hit 60, which with RAF is laughably easy, to start making some real money.

As far as your button placement goes, the greatest thing about Warriors is our stances. It gives you 2 bonus action bars to use. I know at 80, I have all 3 stance bars filled up plus one over my main bars and half of the bar next to it. Having played a hunter previous, I used every single button because there was just so many more skills to balance. A lot of them I didn't use frequently, but I had them on the bars just in case. On the warrior? Not a problem at all. It's pretty awesome being a warrior.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's pretty awesome being a warrior.

Indeed it is.
    6300.jpg

EDIT: Patchwerk. Maybe not the most impressive numbers ever, but I'm pretty happy with it.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So. Tanking trinket combos.

I still haven't come across an Essence of Gossamer yet, but I do have Lavanthor's and a Seal of the Pantheon. My thought is that either one of those would be just as good as having the Essence, for someting to pair with a Valor Medal of the First War.

Can anyone speak to the usefulness of the EoG?

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's 111 stamina on a trinket. The proc is just icing and not tremendously helpful in and of itself.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    MillbuddahMillbuddah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I personally love the essence. It's a boatload of stamina and the on use effect is great to have when I tank raid bosses. Granted it won't save a wipe like shield wall can but having that extra armor is helpful, especially on fights like patch. Granted I could pop on a valor medal in its place (still using pantheon seal to stay crit capped) but having that extra health just puts my mind more at ease.

Millbuddah on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think you're confused about what EoG's effect is....
    Seal of the Pantheon will pump your armor..

Essence of Gossamer's effect is a random chance to proc a shield that will reduce each incoming hit by 140, up to 4000 damage. It has a very high proc rate, and should not be overlooked. While it does little against big spike hits when you have a fight that involves multiple damage sources (such as sapphiron) it works out really well.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think you're confused about what EoG's effect is....
    Seal of the Pantheon will pump your armor..

Essence of Gossamer's effect is a random chance to proc a shield that will reduce each incoming hit by 140, up to 4000 damage. It has a very high proc rate, and should not be overlooked. While it does little against big spike hits when you have a fight that involves multiple damage sources (such as sapphiron) it works out really well.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Essence of gossamer is like a delicious cake. You must [strike]eat[/strike] equip it.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Unless you're a JC, in which you can just make a monarch crab and socket it with some stamina gems for not only slightly more stamina, but a really nice Use: as well.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Unless you're a JC, in which you can just make a monarch crab and socket it with some stamina gems for not only slightly more stamina, but a really nice Use: as well.

Or you could use both.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I know what the Essence does, but I'm not sold yet on the utility of the extra HP and the shield proc versus some real avoidance stats.

I guess I'll just keep running AN and hope it drops so I can just use it when I need the stamina.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    I know what the Essence does, but I'm not sold yet on the utility of the extra HP and the shield proc versus some real avoidance stats.

I guess I'll just keep running AN and hope it drops so I can just use it when I need the stamina.

extra stam is key for some fights and as has been said 1000 times, if you want to tank a pug having gobs of health gets you invites.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Gosh, not even a "congratulations on being in the Warrior Top Twenty for DPS on Patchwerk"?

:cry:

I can't seem to load MMO-Champion today. Any new warrior news, or is it still just -10% [strike]DKP[/strike] damage?

EDIT: Essence of Gossamer, much like the fabled Betrayer of Humanity, does not exist.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Or you could use both.

That would be overkill. IMO It's much better to go with one stam trinket and then an avoidance trinket or a trinket with a good Use:. I myself use the repelling charge.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Or you could use both.

That would be overkill. IMO It's much better to go with one stam trinket and then an avoidance trinket or a trinket with a good Use:. I myself use the repelling charge.

People do it. At any rate, he didn't ask about the the crab, he asked about the EoG. We explained that the reason people use the EoG is mainly for the stam. Same as the crab :)

For most encounters, you don't really *need* either of them.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have my EoG, I love it. I also have the repeling charge equiped since it was more avoidance than Lavanthors and the on use+last stand=50k+ hp when raid buffed. Always good times.

As mentioned though, for your best bets its one stamina trinket which right now EoG or the Monarch Crab and one avoidance trinket which is basically whatever trinket you feel works the best for you at the time. I use lavanthors when I need more threat, but otherwise its my repelling charge.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't know how it is for 25 man gear, but I'm completely decked out in 10 man stuff, and I am completely reliant on the Repelling Charge to keep me above the cap. I simply can't remove it unless I were to regem every single slot for defense, and even then I don't think it would be quite enough.

The Wolfman on
This discussion has been closed.