As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Warriors: But if I use my mouse to turn, how do I click on Rend?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know how it is for 25 man gear, but I'm completely decked out in 10 man stuff, and I am completely reliant on the Repelling Charge to keep me above the cap. I simply can't remove it unless I were to regem every single slot for defense, and even then I don't think it would be quite enough.

I am in 100% 10 man gear but my pants, the Repelling Charge can be swapped around with my gear in some fights. It did let me regem a bit though, so not sure now. I use to have more +defense gems than I do now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish Repelling Charge's on Use wasn't so crap, personally.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Couple of quick questions about warrior tanks:

1.) What should I be gemming for? I'm thinking parry or dodge for whichever I have less of.
    2.) How does one calculate avoidance?
    3.) I've got the seal of the pantheon and the alchemy tanking trinket. I can easily get rid of the seal once I'm at the cap with gear alone but should I replace the alchemy trinket with something else later on?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    1) Stam or expertise/stam. Don't gem for dodge unless you're really hurting for avoidance. Don't gem for defense unless you need it to hit the soft defense cap. Don't gem for parry ever (more or less).
    2) For pure avoidance, add dodge+parry+miss (base miss plus miss added from defense).
    3) There are a lot of tanking trinkets, you can mix and match most of them situationally.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I wish Repelling Charge's on Use wasn't so crap, personally.

It's not THAT crap. It can make for fun times with Commanding/Last Stand and Enraged Regeneration. It's not stunningly good, but it's better than a lot of the other crappy Use: items out there.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    So I'm definitely swapping out my Glyph of Sunder for Glyph of Shockwave. I do a lot of BC and Classic stuff for fun and aoeing mobs with -3 seconds on Shockwave cooldown will be awesome.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Not sure if any of the glyphs scream re-glyph to me. Shield wall one seems nice but I rarely use it that much. There is a Glyph of Last Stand in the pally stuff, I have an odd feeling it is just our last stand glyph redone, does the same thing almost but with no health penalty like the current one.

Last stand down to a 3 minute timer is pretty nice and charge being off the diminishing returns stun vaule is beyond awesome for pvp and trash.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm thinking of reglyphing my Glyph of Cleave to Glyph of Vigilance.

It depends how much more my threat scales. Even on non-gimmick fights I struggle to maintain threat over our DPSers when I'm sustaining 6k TPS, and Blessing of Sanctuary giving no rage is going to make that worse.

Also, I use Defender's Code over Repelling Charge just because the on-use is actually good.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Glyph of Shield Wall will have good situational use if more stuff like Sarth+3 come around. Will keep a warrior from being the last-place choice tank in that situation, at least.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Still rumors going around we are actually getting more toys this patch as prot. But so far its just glyphs and the charge buff, so I am not holding my breath but I am hopeful.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The shield wall glyph is going to be handy for old-world content. Solo farming things like Baron Geddon seems to pretty much require a fury/prot hybrid for the extra healing you get from bloodthirst; That plus improved disciplines gives you a 12 second 40% damage reduction once a minute which will be very nice.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'm thinking of reglyphing my Glyph of Cleave to Glyph of Vigilance.

It depends how much more my threat scales. Even on non-gimmick fights I struggle to maintain threat over our DPSers when I'm sustaining 6k TPS, and Blessing of Sanctuary giving no rage is going to make that worse.

Also, I use Defender's Code over Repelling Charge just because the on-use is actually good.

How much dps are your guys putting out? I know you're in a ballin' guild, but the top 5 in mine are all putting out over 5k dps consistently and I haven't had any threat issues. Is there a bunch of room for them to improve?

This isn't meant to be a dig at you or my dps or anything, I'm legitimately curious why I haven't been having the threat issues you seem to be.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't look at damage meters, but I routinely see our three mages pulling 5-5.5k TPS on Omen, sustaining that for a good minute or so at a time, as a mix of specs...one is Arcane, one is Arcane/Fire and one is Frostfire.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, warriors, hunters, mages, and warlocks are quite capable of 5k+ TPS. Hunters obviously have feign death, and locks have soul shatter, but I don't know if mages have a threat dump/reduction ability.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Insivibility is a threat wipe (same as FD), Ice Block is a temporary threat wipe (same as Divine Shield).

815165 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Salv is still a valuable tool. Likewise, hunters spend very little to misdirect, and rogues can tricks the tank (though doing so on a warrior next patch will be very silly, thanks very much shortsighted stacking changes).

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    815165 wrote: »
    Insivibility is a threat wipe (same as FD), Ice Block is a temporary threat wipe (same as Divine Shield).

Mirror Image is an awesome OH CRAP button in regards to threat.

So mage have 3 threat management tools, which really is quite a bit. Fire needs them. Arcane never ever should.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    zerochapterzerochapter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can haz depressing nerf?

zerochapter on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey, I'm new to wow and I've got a level 27 or so warrior. I was just wondering if in pvp, it was normal that hunters can basically own me for free or if I'm doing something wrong against them.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Hey, I'm new to wow and I've got a level 27 or so warrior. I was just wondering if in pvp, it was normal that hunters can basically own me for free or if I'm doing something wrong against them.

At your level hunters are a pain in the ass, but some of them could be twinks. In fact 1v1 warriors aren't amazing in pvp early on. Open up with a charge and then hamstring him and try to keep hamstring on him at all times so he can't get away from you.

At lvl 30 you will do a warrior quest to get Beserker stance and then you can use a new ability (from trainer) called intercept which is basically a charge you can use in combat, great for catching up to hunters who keep running away while shooting you.

Dman on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A buddy told me about intercept, but I didn't know what it did. That sounds really useful. Thanks for the advice.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I read that charge stun was being changed to 1.5 seconds instead of the .1 it is now, is this da truf?

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I read that charge stun was being changed to 1.5 seconds instead of the .1 it is now, is this da truf?

I'll have to look into that.

The change I heard was that it wasn't going to be counted towards diminishing returns on stuns.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dman wrote: »

I'll have to look into that.

The change I heard was that it wasn't going to be counted towards diminishing returns on stuns.

It's both.

* Charge: Duration of stun effect now lasts 1.5 sec. This effect no longer has diminishing returns.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's both and I believe it currently is a 1 second stun. I think the primary reason they changed this is because if you have the range glyph you can charge someone and they'd end up outside of melee range and the stun was gone before you even got to them.

khain on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    khain wrote: »
    It's both and I believe it currently is a 1 second stun. I think the primary reason they changed this is because if you have the range glyph you can charge someone and they'd end up outside of melee range and the stun was gone before you even got to them.

* Charge: Duration of stun effect now lasts 1.5 sec. This effect no longer has diminishing returns.

Since you BoP'd me. :P

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh thank god on the DR part. Nothing's worse than Charging and Shockwaving for 1.6 seconds worth of stun.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome change.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man. Prot warrior stunlock.

Charge, Concussion Blow, Shockwave, move away and Intercept. 9 seconds of stun there. And if you're fucking with a healer, you could get about 5 seconds of silence in there as well with Heroic Throw and Shield Bash.

Of course, most PvP healers are going to have some amount of stun and/or silence duration reduction, but still.

forty on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    forty wrote: »
    Man. Prot warrior stunlock.

Charge, Concussion Blow, Shockwave, move away and Intercept. 9 seconds of stun there. And if you're fucking with a healer, you could get about 5 seconds of silence in there as well with Heroic Throw and Shield Bash.

Of course, most PvP healers are going to have some amount of stun and/or silence duration reduction, but still.

We fucking need something like that. I'm in almost complete Naxx 25 gear, and I got kite-killed by a goddamn 72 mage because I couldn't actually hit him before he was un-stunned from my charge/wave... My nerd rage was epic. :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Outplayed IMDO.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Outplayed IMDO.

Would totally agree with you if he didn't still AP zap me when I had the hugenormous super-obvious Spell Reflect graphic up :P

Wulf on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do you have Gag Order? It turns Heroic Throw into a 30y silence. It might not have made the decisive difference, but it sure makes dealing with mages a lot less stressful.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Do you have Gag Order? It turns Heroic Throw into a 30y silence. It might not have made the decisive difference, but it sure makes dealing with mages a lot less stressful.

Of course. Sadly, didn't seem to make a difference, since in the two seconds that I closed on him the thing wears off and I get frozen again :P

Wulf on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If a 72 anything ever killed my warrior I'd probably quit. But then I'm a gnome, we have slightly less trouble with mages.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Frost mages give me the most trouble. My usual pattern for fighting them goes like this...

Charge -> Shield Bash (6 second Daze for slowing) -> Wait 2 secs -> Heroic Throw -> Wait 2 secs -> Concussion Blow -> Spell Reflect (reflects an Obvious Frost Nova) -> Shockwave

In the middle of that chain, I'll throw out Devastates and Shield Slams for damage, but if at any point they break that chain and blink away, I'll run the other direction. It's just not worth chasing them down when they can slow me soooooooo much.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You can reflect Frost Nova?

forty on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You can reflect Frost Nova?
    I've tried it a few times and failed, so I'm inclined to say no.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm pretty sure it reflects the damage but not the effect, hence the follow up Shockwave.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm pretty sure it reflects the damage but not the effect, hence the follow up Shockwave.

Why spell reflect it at all, then? The damage on a nova is trifling.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.