As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who wants to make a new game? :D

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also you'll notice "Forest" is based on a movement from i to VI, something I abused horribly in high school and which at one point Dr. Barsom said to me "You're done using this".

>.>
    <.<

It's totally just from the idiomatic writing.

Khavall on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have no idea what you're talking about but I definitely sensed a NES/SNES RPG vibe from your tunes. What did you use to compose them?

Impersonator on
    edited April 2009
    I used Finale 2009, mostly, but I turn off the GPO stuff and all that in favor of MIDI since that keeps the filesize down and all that.

I've heard of and used Sibelius, but I can't help preferring Finale. I've also got Reason, Pro Tools, Live, pretty much everything, but for something like this where MP3 I guess won't work and WAV is too big, I pretty much just use Finale's "softsynth", then export to MIDI to make sure I haven't gone over the track limit(I actually did this once in the Forest theme... ended up re-orchestrating it to fix the problem), and keep it in MIDI for the game. It keeps an SNES era sound to it using MIDI as well so I don't mind too much, though my original idea was to use GPO(Garriton Personal Orchestra) tracks with an MP3 encoding to really make it sound modernized with pastiche of 16-bit sounds... but alas.

Khavall on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Indeed, the reason for necessitating MIDI is because it's keeping the filesize reasonable and I have a lot more control over it.

slash000 on
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That music is fit for an eeeepic RPG, so good.
    Scarily good.
    I guess that's your career, but still...really good stuff.
    I could definitely see that kind of music in an old school Final Fantasy game.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, I regret not clicking those music links earlier.

So beautiful and nostalgic; I'm thoroughly impressed.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The music seems absolutely perfect.

Can't wait to check out the final product!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited April 2009
    So how's everything going along with the game, slash? :)

Impersonator on
    edited April 2009
    Khavall back to smashing music.. I swear though.. it'll be done soon.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    So how's everything going along with the game, slash? :)

Well, I'm 100% done with the coding and artwork (have been for a week or two). I'm still waiting on 2 ambient audio tracks from Delphinus, and I'm waiting on something like 3 or 4 music tracks from Khavall.

I might need Khavall to do an easy little "dun dun dun Duuuuuhhh!" for the title screen in addition to that though.

But seriously if I had these few audio pieces I could release the game today. I'm hoping that Khavall and Delphinus are able to get their parts done this week. I hope hope hope.

I'm dying to release this thing, which has been a project that's something like 6 months of hard work in the making. All it needs is that audio/music and it can be released!

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Khavall back to smashing music.. I swear though.. it'll be done soon.

Oh sweet, thanks for updating :^:. This project is so close to completion that I incessantly check this thread, my PMs, and my email from updates from you and Delphinus so that when I get your parts I can implement them ASAP and release the game.

Keep it up you're almost home free!

slash000 on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I haven't checked back for like a year, but this looks absolutely amazing and I look forward to playing when it's released.

Also, have you been BoingBoinged yet? It seems like the sort of thing that would go over well with them, and a way to get the word out about it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited April 2009
    The good news is that I think I'll have Wharves done when I get to it, ice is now giving me problems. Oh well, I'll spend the night listening to 16 bit ice music and whatnot to get an idea.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    On second thought, I think I'm going to go with sort of a Phendrana Drift sound... I think that's closest to what I was thinking.

For reference, the Wharves music is taking sound from Fisherman's Horizon from FFVIII as inspiration.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Nice, I love Phendrana drifts.
    So I haven't checked back for like a year, but this looks absolutely amazing and I look forward to playing when it's released.

Also, have you been BoingBoinged yet? It seems like the sort of thing that would go over well with them, and a way to get the word out about it.

Thanks for checking up on this; it's almost done!

I haven't thought about getting the word out about this at all, really, since my primary goal has been to bring the game to completion first and foremost :P

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    Has it been playtested yet, slash? :P

You might want to do that before getting the word about this.

Impersonator on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm totally not listening to any of those midis so I can be completely blown away when starting the game for the first time. Seriously.

Frem on
    edited April 2009
    Delphinus has done a great thing. The other day he locked himself in his room in order to finish all of the Ambient audio to get it done. And so he did, and now he's sent it to me! Should only take a few minutes to replace the place-holder pieces with his final ambient audio parts.

They're excellent audio tracks and they really breath some life into this game world. Delphinus has done an excellent job, and I think players will appreciate the unique and interesting sound that goes along with each theme to each area of the game.

Now all that's left is for Khavall to get that awesome music done and sent over to me!

We're this close to being done with this. This close.

slash000 on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Props on your work Slash, your a man who gets shit done.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited April 2009
    I had a recital tonight, but I'll down a Rum+coke and lay down the Wharves, then Tomorrow I'm free 'till 5:30 before I leave for a festival I've been asked to play for in wherever-the-hell-it-is-I'm-going. I'll bring a computer though, so when I'm not playing I should be able to finish things that aren't done by the time I leave.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    I had a recital tonight, but I'll down a Rum+coke and lay down the Wharves, then Tomorrow I'm free 'till 5:30 before I leave for a festival I've been asked to play for in wherever-the-hell-it-is-I'm-going. I'll bring a computer though, so when I'm not playing I should be able to finish things that aren't done by the time I leave.

Awesome awesome awesome! That's what I like to hear! The sooner you can finish these tracks, the sooner this game can get released, the sooner you'll not have to worry about it or fiddle with music (for this game) any more!

Everything sounds great so far, I'm lovin' your contributions. I can't wait to get the rest of your music so I can put them into this game. All this additional audio, both the Ambience and the Music, makes such a huge difference in how it feels to play.

slash000 on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This won't be Mac compatible will it?

Nimble Cat on
    edited April 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »

Unfortunately, no, it looks like it's only going to work in PC/windows environments.

But on the bright side the system requirements are going to be extremely low! :P

slash000 on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Never having played the original, I'm excited for this!

Pemulis on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Unfortunately, no, it looks like it's only going to work in PC/windows environments.

But on the bright side the system requirements are going to be extremely low! :P

Is this still in C or did you switch to something else?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited April 2009

I had to switch to a somewhat proprietary "middleware" solution, for which I am pretty sure there is no Mac option.. :P

slash000 on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I had to switch to a somewhat proprietary "middleware" solution, for which I am pretty sure there is no Mac option.. :P

Crossover Games might work though. That's what I'm going to try anyway. I'll let you know if it works.

Drunk_caterpillar on
    edited April 2009
    I'm uploading Wharves now.

Turns out, when I'm coming from a long-assed series of performances, it's late, and I'm drunk, my music gets a little...

Well you can all hear for yourselves:

I don't even know what style this is supposed to be

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Crossover Games might work though. That's what I'm going to try anyway. I'll let you know if it works.

That looks like it will probably work just fine. Good suggestion :^:

slash000 on
    edited April 2009

Turns out, when I'm coming from a long-assed series of performances, it's late, and I'm drunk, my music gets a little...

I like it. I'll implement it. Let me know if you make any additions/changes to it though, but that's entirely up to you.

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    I probably won't, I like it a lot, it's just I have no clue what exactly it is.

It's definitely the weirdest piece in the score.

For main theme I'm currently thinking Wind Waker Overworld style sort of music(though considering my track record with attempts to match style is about 25%), and for the level select I might just do a fun harp solo, reminiscent of Zelda selects.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    :^: Sounds like a good plan.

Keep me/us updated as you progress!

slash000 on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I cannot wait to see the final product :D.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My mind is having a hard time wrapping itself around that song. The individual sections are fine, but when you put them together they just sound wrong.

0:16 through 0:36 is good, but the transitions beyond that are really weird. If you want to try to make it more consistant, focusing on that would work. You could pretty much take any section and focus on it, though. You could very well get two or more distinct songs out of this thing.

If you do want to keep it mostly as is, the most significant technical issue that I noticed is that the volume dropoff from 0:18 to 0:22 sounds kind of odd. Maybe try either keeping the volume consistant or make the transition slower or somewhere else in the song.

jothki on
    edited April 2009
    Most of the transitions are a little tongue in cheek... I was counting on the fact that I used solid 8-bar phrases consistently to propel the listener though the lines so they'd be ready for something different when they got to a new place... I may revisit the transitions, but right now I'm happy with them. Some of them are tongue in cheek though, which I guess I'm probably the only one who will get.

Khavall on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

WHOA....

this is the first time ive heard this.

combined with the ambience, this game is going sound F'ing incredible. Way to capture the feel khav!
    It looks like things came together more pleasantly than I expected. At first I was having trouble which direction the feel of the game should take; should we take full advantage of the term 'remake' with current sounds, or stay true to 8-bit sounds? It looks like things have taken a serendipitous turn as Khavall took the retro approach to sound while I took things towards a realistic angle.

oh and thread bump update just to post: ambience 100% completed

delphinus on
    edited April 2009
    Main Title theme.

I don't have it set up right now where I can at least fake a smooth loop, but I can't imagine someone will actually be on the main title screen for more than 2 and a half minutes... and if they do I guess they'll deal with a wonky loop at the end.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Aaaaaaaaaand

Quest select

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Awesome, Khavall. I'm at work now until later this evening, but as SOON as I get home I'll implement these files ASAP.

Are there any other music tracks you need to make?

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    I don't think so...

But if there's an area without music when you put it all together than I can whip something up at some point during the festival.

Khavall on