As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead - Grabbin' a thread of puke - ATTN lobby leaders, check OP

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm most certainly in the U.S., and up till the outage I had all the bodily dismemberment I could handle.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Ross_C wrote: »
    One of my friends was interested in getting this so I recorded a demo file of a playthrough with some friends and recorded some highlights of the playthrough so he can get idea on what kind of stupid fun the game can be.

The problem is, a video just shows what the game looks like, and random dudes talking about random stuff that you don't really have a context for. You can't really get a feel for how it... er... feels to play. The ramp up in tension during panic events, tanks and witches. How the teamwork all comes together so naturally (unless you know, your team mates are jerks). How awesome it is to make it through the tough parts and stick together right to the end.

I should probably point out that the random dudes are friends of said friend. If I had wanted to show him what the game was like I would've sent him some youtube gameplay videos by other people. I wanted to show him the stupid fun WE have.
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Broke down and bought L4D2 finally. Couldn't be happier with the product right now and I've only ran through Dead Center.

Things I've noticed:

1. There seems to be more static zombies now, and a greater number on swarms.
    2. The increased gore is both dynamic and a good addition. The downside is that sometimes armless zombies will still come after you, so I've found myself using the "double tap" rule ;).
    3. The variety of weapons gives you a lot more options. Unfortunately I've found that it takes me longer to decide what characteristics I prefer.
    4. The difficulty is greater across the board (we spent 1hr on the Dead Center finale alone).
    5. The new infected are great for mixing up the threat, except that I hate the Jockey with a passion.

Play Versus. You will suddenly love the Jockey.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Scavenge is by far the better game mode. Vs feels more like your just trying to ruin some ones single player experience by making it as hard as possible to get to the end. That can be fun, and I have had many fun times playing Vs. But at the end of the day theres no real strategy to it. Survivors run as fast as possible, and infected try to catch them.

Scavenge on the other hand has a lot of strategy to it. IMO the best map to play Scavenge on is Dead Center, as its probably the most balanced map. Though I haven't tried some of the others. The more you play it, the more you find out which cans you can get the fastest, and which areas you should try and avoid when going alone.

this is nonsense
    there absolutely is strategy to vs

you're competing against the other team to see who can make it the farthest in the campaign overall

how is there no strategy to that?

Yea this kid doesn't know. There is way more strategy involved in VS than scavenge.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Scavenge is by far the better game mode. Vs feels more like your just trying to ruin some ones single player experience by making it as hard as possible to get to the end. That can be fun, and I have had many fun times playing Vs. But at the end of the day theres no real strategy to it. Survivors run as fast as possible, and infected try to catch them.

Scavenge on the other hand has a lot of strategy to it. IMO the best map to play Scavenge on is Dead Center, as its probably the most balanced map. Though I haven't tried some of the others. The more you play it, the more you find out which cans you can get the fastest, and which areas you should try and avoid when going alone.

this is nonsense
    there absolutely is strategy to vs

you're competing against the other team to see who can make it the farthest in the campaign overall

how is there no strategy to that?

Yea this kid doesn't know. There is way more strategy involved in VS than scavenge.

Jesus, there's strategy for both. In scavenge, it's much more on-the-fly strategy because you don't know where the survivors are going or how they may split up. In VS you get more time to plan because you know exactly where the survivors are heading. They both require strategy, neither one more then the other, just different.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yah Rak you're super-wrong about this. You've played like two rounds of scavange. I know, because I was there.

Scavange opens the possibility of doing some really inventive and clever infected strats, because the survivors are moving so differently than to campaign and because the objective is not related to reaching a specific point.

VS is way better than before because the levels are much better designed and your can mix and match approaches depending on what special infecteds you get. The new infecteds also make the game much more fun to play because shiva stacking is nearly useless.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Yah Rak you're super-wrong about this. You've played like two rounds of scavange. I know, because I was there.

Scavange opens the possibility of doing some really inventive and clever infected strats, because the survivors are moving so differently than to campaign and because the objective is not related to reaching a specific point.

VS is way better than before because the levels are much better designed and your can mix and match approaches depending on what special infecteds you get. The new infecteds also make the game much more fun to play because shiva stacking is nearly useless.
    Maybe I should have just corrected him and said VS requires strategy cause that's all I meant.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    someone tell me how to play spitter

i am awful at it. where do i aim

iowa on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    iowa wrote: »

aim like a soldier in TF2 would

also try to wait until they are boomered or otherwise defending against a horde in a tight space, and feeling really effective about it

then BAM

spit!

then you try to get up in their grills and melee, forcing them to shoot you, hopefully. this means you can start your respawn counter immediately while they evade your corpse's acid

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The only strategy in VS is having all the infected attack at once.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Suiciding for an extra acid pool isn't worth it most of the time, the cooldown on actual spit is very short, about 20 seconds.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The only strategy in VS is having all the infected attack at once in the right places at the right players. Oh, and opportunistically picking off certain people who fall behind. And using your tanks properly. And knowing how to get a witch startled. And learning how to play Survivor properly and prioritising rescues.
    God Vs mode is so simplistic even a caveman could learn it.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Suiciding for an extra acid pool isn't worth it most of the time, the cooldown on actual spit is very short, about 20 seconds.

Totally worth it, because you're gaining the advantage of being able to spawn anywhere out of sight, as opposed to having to actually stalk the players in corporeal form and probably getting picked off by some CS veteran with a sniper rifle.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Totally worth it, because you're gaining the advantage of being able to spawn anywhere out of sight, as opposed to having to actually stalk the players in corporeal form and probably getting picked off by some CS veteran with a sniper rifle.

No because if you don't suck then you can spawn in a decent place and artillery them constantly without being found. Also you can still respawn by moving away and pressing E.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It's helpful to be able to attack from any angle, but that's also assuming you're becoming spitter again, or even that your team is getting another spitter at all.

That said, the extra pool of acid can sometimes be vital if you need to hold them up just a few more seconds.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i'd say it's ultimately dependent on the context of the situation, but any time i sit there waiting for a recharge, i think about how i could be better served waiting for my next spawn after having dropped another pool of acid for them to deal with

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    some CS veteran with a sniper rifle.
    :3

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    re: the spitter, it's best to wait for an opening. However, it's occasionally useful to use it as area denial or just to harass if you're sure you're not going to get shot.

Aim at the ground as the spit flies in a nearly straight line for a long time, then dips sharply.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Artillery Spitter is best, get where they can't see you, know the trajectory and can make green survivors yellow, or yellow ones red, or get a 4cap in a matter of minutes.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The second pool is 1/3 the size and they know you're coming. And considering the spitter is potentially the most powerful SI killing yourself and waiting 20 seconds to respawn instead of 20 seconds to fuck them over again is pretty dumb when you may not get a spitter at all in the next wave of spawns.

Occassionally you will suicide, and you won't always have time to spawn properly before needing to hit them in a weak spot. But saying the go to strat for spitter is spit and suicide in the hope of a couple of extra ticks is just stupid.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Just shoot it directly at them unless they are against a wall or you can somehow bounce it off the ceiling/wall behind them.

Only time I arc it is when I know it needs to go further ahead of the survivors at a specific area.

Also, try to snipe as spitter. It works better to shoot and flee from a distance.

I love spitter. Only time in VS I can actually hurt people without dying right away.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Anyone around to play l4d?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure my "favorite weapon" is always going to be the Combat Shotgun because I can't bring myself to saddle the team with two Sniper Rifles.

Also, somehow I managed to miss seven goddamn shots against a Boomer who was standing in an alley barely bigger than the character itself. I am officially a shitty marksman forever.

EDIT: Rochelle's "Look" voice at Nick has to be the most passionless thing I have ever heard. "Yo, Nick." "Yo, Nick." "Yo, Nick."

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Combat shotgun makes the best noise. And that little twirly strand of wire sticking out is really endearing.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hunting rifle on realism makes me sad. I am so use to one shoting any infected that gets in my sights.

Also, the magnum still being a one shot seems poorly balanced to me.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If the magnum wasn't one shot though I'm pretty sure twin pistols would be clearly superior.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Apparently, if the circle is red, it will land where you aim.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Chainsaw + Adrenaline.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For any of you who are into playing custom campaigns for L4D I would suggest Suicide Blitz. If Valve picks up custom maps at any point in time, it should/will be this one because it's as good as their regular campaigns and blows that piece of shit/thrown together Crash Coarse out of the water.

Hey You on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kupi wrote: »
    EDIT: Rochelle's "Look" voice at Nick has to be the most passionless thing I have ever heard. "Yo, Nick." "Yo, Nick." "Yo, Nick."

Ellis his "Look Nick" voice sounds disgusting. "NNNnnhnnnniiiiiyiiick"

Alegis on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chainsaw + Adrenaline.

I hope i'm not the only one that goes looking for boomers when i get a chainsaw :twisted:

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guuuuyyyyyyyysssssss this is game is really hard and I can't beat it even on easy I just give up I'm never playing this game again ugh [/joystiq]

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait, what? I saw the one bitching about l4d, I didn't see this one. Link?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/20/review-left-4-dead-2/

Basically the reviewer says that the game is frustratingly hard and cheap, even on easy. And then backs his point up by linking to twitter.

Yeah.

subedii on
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow, you think they would just get someone else to review it since he can't actually play it.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    posting this here too
    You can get l4d2 from dell for $30 right now.

those of you who were waiting for a sale might want to get on that.

edit: okay fixed

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow and I thought it was funny when every review site was having trouble playing Monster Hunter games. This joystiq clown is priceless.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Wow, you think they would just get someone else to review it since he can't actually play it.

Well

I was just listening to their podcast, and the reason is

their entire staff is repeating the same fucking thing

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Jakorian wrote: »

Well

I was just listening to their podcast, and the reason is

their entire staff is repeating the same fucking thing

If I know anything about L4D it's that having two skilled players on your team can balance out the other two weaksauce players. If their entire staff are a bunch of no teamwork asshat douche faces I can see how they get the same impression. I bet there's one player on their staff who quietly shakes his head.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Basically the reviewer says that the game is frustratingly hard and cheap, even on easy. And then backs his point up by linking to twitter.

Yeah.

http://twitter.com/search?q=left4dead%202%20awesome

I just refuted his entire argument

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah.

Bahahah, even then, the stuff he cites on twitter is retarded

He searches "left 4 dead 2" hard and gets more results talking about Hard Rain or how realism mode is hard

Same thing for "left 4 dead 2" difficult, even people going "ugh what to play it's a difficult choice!!"

Quality fucking journalism right there

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif