Options

Left 4 Dead - Grabbin' a thread of puke - ATTN lobby leaders, check OP

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    In theory, there should be constant on the fly strategy for both teams in scavenge.
    That's not what I mean, like the map is mostly the same being a small zone and you mostly just attack at the fuel thingy regardless.

Only other times are stragglers and spitting on gasoline.

With vs you have to adapt with the environment and use your surroundings to plan out attacks.

Scavenge is like: Ok wait till they get back with fuel and in front of fueler. Ok go. Rinse. First team to not get a high first score loses automatically.

Well, then you're playing infected like the corner campers played l4d1. The boring way. :P

(i still haven't played scavenge at all yet, can you tell?)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scavenge is by far the better game mode. Vs feels more like your just trying to ruin some ones single player experience by making it as hard as possible to get to the end. That can be fun, and I have had many fun times playing Vs. But at the end of the day theres no real strategy to it. Survivors run as fast as possible, and infected try to catch them.

Scavenge on the other hand has a lot of strategy to it. IMO the best map to play Scavenge on is Dead Center, as its probably the most balanced map. Though I haven't tried some of the others. The more you play it, the more you find out which cans you can get the fastest, and which areas you should try and avoid when going alone.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Need a couple more for a Dead Center stomp.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Vs feels more like your just trying to ruin some ones single player experience by making it as hard as possible to get to the end.

This is exactly why I prefer Versus. It's more fun to me precisely because it's a little less structured and there's a lot less pressure to do really well as the infected. You take your turn working hard to do well as a survivor and the payoff is you get to fuck with the other team for shits and giggles. There's still that pressure to keep the survivor team from getting to the safehouse but I find it more fun overall.

On a different note I just came across a server-side mod that allowed incapped players to use pills and adrenaline to stand up again, requiring no one else. It was awful.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    vs ruins this game for me

that's a shame because vs and scav are the best modes

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Scavenge is by far the better game mode. Vs feels more like your just trying to ruin some ones single player experience by making it as hard as possible to get to the end. That can be fun, and I have had many fun times playing Vs. But at the end of the day theres no real strategy to it. Survivors run as fast as possible, and infected try to catch them.

Scavenge on the other hand has a lot of strategy to it. IMO the best map to play Scavenge on is Dead Center, as its probably the most balanced map. Though I haven't tried some of the others. The more you play it, the more you find out which cans you can get the fastest, and which areas you should try and avoid when going alone.

this is nonsense
    there absolutely is strategy to vs

you're competing against the other team to see who can make it the farthest in the campaign overall

how is there no strategy to that?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There is a ton of strategy as both survivors and
    infected in vs. Especially with the longer levels and increased difficulty.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What are you two blabbering about? Of course there's no strategy involved. That's why everyone have a 50% win stat in VS and also why experienced players never win more often than n00bs.

Geesh, the fail of logic in this thread :P

Movitz on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, thanks for the clarification. I view this no-legs choice with a weeping eye. I will make a post in the official forums, maybe somebody gets the idea. Still i played the demo and the new infected really spice up the game. Adittionally, THIS TIME i will import a foreign version because i am german and the censoring was and is harsh. I probably import the from the UK because they are part of the european federation and because of that i can circumvent toll fees. A bloodpatch will not work since its a steam application and modifying files is NOT an option. Consider that if you live somewhere in the censored countries. I will order it right away. Took me some hours to get approval form my girlfriend but it was worth the argument ^^

sidenote: i am purely purcasing the game because of VS. Of course there are retards in a squad here and there wich won't stick together and run off, wich won't help, etc but that is life. For the most part the game works out. Of course there is that human factor but in most cases its a good thing.

Scavenge sounds interesting, i think its kinda comperable to Counterstrike bomb maps. I have high anticipations.

Also... in the DEMO a lot of people stick around because the DEMO is only one level. You can't really blame them.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So um, stats were reset again?

Anyone know why this keeps happening?

If I lose my gnome achievement I am going to be sad.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    So um, stats were reset again?

Anyone know why this keeps happening?

If I lose my gnome achievement I am going to be sad.

I had 33 of the 50 achievements, woke up to having just 21 of them... *sigh*.:?

Scotty on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    lol superior pc version

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hehe Parish is pretty fun but since my comp crashed I didn't get the achievement no matter however.

Any one ever had the problem where your game (or even computer..) keeps randomly alt tabbing not full on but the window just un selects and I have to click to get back in its really frustrating and does it while I'm even just on the internet.

Do you have AVG install? If so, replace it with something else or downgrade.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    lol superior pc version

I don't know if this is in response to my post or not, but mine is the PC version, running on a more than capable computer.D:

Scotty on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i know i'm on 360

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He was just talking shit.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i know i'm on 360

No, really?

~

More observations:

1. The spitter has replaced the tank and smoker as my favorite infected to play as. It's ridiculosuly easy to rack up the damage, especially in campaigns like hard rain where there's lots of choke points in the houses, elevators, etc.

2. Maybe it's just me, but is the game a little too liberal with the stronger weapons? For example, I hardly ever run across a pump shotgun or the less powerful sniper rifle yet it appears there are many more of the SSG rifles and combat/tac shotguns laying around. I guess I just think that the survivors (in campaign and/or vs) should work for the upper-tier weapons. Of course, I'm still trying to master the campaigns on normal, perhaps advanced or survival is more stingy?

3. Is it wrong to get a boner when I see the female version of the boomer?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i know i'm on 360

Oh I get you now.
    I think the achievements thing is over, not that it matters much.
    I way prefer the better graphics of the PC regardless...achievements are just thin frosting for me.:wink:

Before you say anything, I used to have a 360, and thought the visuals couldn't be that different, oh, I was so wrong. (PC all the way for me now...unless it's something that is only on my PS3)

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

No not at all...it's that Spitter that is an unholy terror from the depths of darkest hell.D: (Although I love to use her...so fun)

Scotty on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hehe Parish is pretty fun but since my comp crashed I didn't get the achievement no matter however.

Any one ever had the problem where your game (or even computer..) keeps randomly alt tabbing not full on but the window just un selects and I have to click to get back in its really frustrating and does it while I'm even just on the internet.

Do you have AVG install? If so, replace it with something else or downgrade.

As I said 8 posts ago, you don't need to reinstall or downgrade. You just need to disable the avgtray.exe

Movitz on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Playing Dark Carnival, I come around a corner with magnum in hand, see a clown in front of me staring at the wall.

I quickly shoot in it's direction, hoping to get it before it attracts any horde. I happen to hit it square in the ass, which rips open, literally starts crapping blood. The clown tries to grab it and then squats backward and falls dead. I almost died laughing at that. I love what they've done to up the gore on this game.

Edit: Oh and I need some PA'ers to play this with. I tried a pub match yesterday and found a good team to play with. Except one guy, being cool the whole game decides to let the 3 of us who are incapped die at the finale and just escape solo. Jerk.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, Ellis is the best.

Playing the Dark Carnival Finale I went near the microphone and Ellis start singing.

That's just gold right there.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    ZeroNowZeroNow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You guys tried the fun achievements on dark carnival yet? If you play the shoot-a-duck style game as you enter the carnival, you get a gnome. If you carry it all the way to the end you get an achievement. There are also two carny games that give achievements according to if your faster or stronger than mustachio (who is a pistachio). I managed to do the carny games but not the gnome. We lost it on the roller coaster.

ZeroNow on
    Mortal+Avenger.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ZeroNow wrote: »
    You guys tried the fun achievements on dark carnival yet? If you play the shoot-a-duck style game as you enter the carnival, you get a gnome. If you carry it all the way to the end you get an achievement. There are also two carny games that give achievements according to if your faster or stronger than mustachio (who is a pistachio). I managed to do the carny games but not the gnome. We lost it on the roller coaster.

This totally hasn't been discussed all thread and didn't get a meta-thread spawned.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One of my friends was interested in getting this so I recorded a demo file of a playthrough with some friends and recorded some highlights of the playthrough so he can get idea on what kind of stupid fun the game can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZxqSKLDisM

Ross_C on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For gnome runners:

Remember you can throw the gnome over fences. in II you can throw it from just before the panic event to the entrance of the safehouse, in III you can throw it after the first bend of the rollercoaster onto the final platform, and in IV you can throw it right into the final stretch of the panic event from just after the bumpercars.

It makes it a lot easier, especially on higher difficulty settings.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Beat Dead Center on Expert Realism last night. We spent two hours on the 3rd map. We literally got almost indefinite horde spawns. From the second we loaded the map till we finished, every try (probably 20 tries). Anyone else expierence this? Was I a horrible bug or is Expert Realism just the ultimate challenge?

JRosey on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Don't be a hero Joey

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    For gnome runners:

Remember you can throw the gnome over fences. in II you can throw it from just before the panic event to the entrance of the safehouse, in III you can throw it after the first bend of the rollercoaster onto the final platform, and in IV you can throw it right into the final stretch of the panic event from just after the bumpercars.

That's what I did. Couldn't get past the panic even of IV on Advanced and I had to leave at that point anyways. So close!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ross_C wrote: »
    One of my friends was interested in getting this so I recorded a demo file of a playthrough with some friends and recorded some highlights of the playthrough so he can get idea on what kind of stupid fun the game can be.

The problem is, a video just shows what the game looks like, and random dudes talking about random stuff that you don't really have a context for. You can't really get a feel for how it... er... feels to play. The ramp up in tension during panic events, tanks and witches. How the teamwork all comes together so naturally (unless you know, your team mates are jerks). How awesome it is to make it through the tough parts and stick together right to the end.

subedii on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For gnome runners:

We had us a good Gnome run JK.

Although next time I'm not guarding you three whilst you insist on playing every carny game we came across. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah the panic event in Carnival IV is a huge pain on advanced. Even without a gnome.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Suds wrote: »
    For gnome runners:

That's what I did. Couldn't get past the panic even of IV on Advanced and I had to leave at that point anyways. So close!

I wouldn't try to get the gnome achievement until Valve irons out the problems with achievements vanishing.

I got it on my first run through Dark Carnival and I lost that and the Dark Carnival achievement.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Are you sure this isn't going to be like some of the other achievements in l4d1 where, even when they dissapeared they were restated later?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh great, I finally get hit by the dreaded stats and achievements wipe.

Its not like they were hard but getting the gnome one again will be a pain, and I was quite proud of the achievement for preventing the survivors getting any cans at all in scavenge.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Broke down and bought L4D2 finally. Couldn't be happier with the product right now and I've only ran through Dead Center.

Things I've noticed:

1. There seems to be more static zombies now, and a greater number on swarms.
    2. The increased gore is both dynamic and a good addition. The downside is that sometimes armless zombies will still come after you, so I've found myself using the "double tap" rule ;).
    3. The variety of weapons gives you a lot more options. Unfortunately I've found that it takes me longer to decide what characteristics I prefer.
    4. The difficulty is greater across the board (we spent 1hr on the Dead Center finale alone).
    5. The new infected are great for mixing up the threat, except that I hate the Jockey with a passion.

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Are you sure this isn't going to be like some of the other achievements in l4d1 where, even when they dissapeared they were restated later?

I still haven't gotten my expert clears in L4D1 back. It's been over 6 months.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So after the Steam outtage yesterday my game got stuck in "Australia" mode. I have no gore, and all the zombie bodies disappear the moment they hit the ground. My settings haven't changed, and my gore settings are still set at "high". Has this happened to anyone else?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No, but the Australian L4D2 community is pretty dead anyway.

edit: Assuming you're Australian and this isn't something that's affected people worldwide.

Iriah on