As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e PBP] God is dead. (Lorrum (un)Death March!)

• Options
    bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i have a feeling I'll be jumping on this hybrid bandwagon tonight

bratr on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Look, there," the young huntress whispered. "Do you not see it?
    Two young shifters crouched near-motionless in the undergrowth, while the fair-haired girl indicated a magnificent stag in a clearing beyond a mighty old oak tree. She carried a strange weapon fashioned from chains with rounded, heavy weights at the ends, which she held loosely in her off-hand. The dark-haired male carried a long spear in both hands, the expression on his face one of determination.
    "The stag?" asked the boy.

"No, beyond the stag, at its feet. There, just past the twisted oak root by the altheas leaves."
    The young man strained his eyes, staring at the spot the girl mentioned. All he saw was the lazy movement of foliage in the breezes of the forest air. He took a moment to shake his head, and sighed heavily.
    "It is a child of the forest," the girl whispered, a smile appearing on her face. "It is telling me to leave this one, for something else approaches. Something we should hunt instead."

"How do you know this, Mist?"
    the boy started to ask.

Mist held a finger to her lips. "Sssh, Rowan. Time shall tell."
    ~~ooOoo~~

Long minutes passed, and still Mist and Rowan watched. The young man was about to give up, and started to stand, before Mist grabbed his wrist and pulled him back down into a crouch. Her finger once more pressed to her lips, instructing her hunting companion to be silent.

The stag was long gone, back to his herd and the call of the females he was to protect and bear young with. The clearing was empty. But not for long.

The boar's snuffling was heard long before it was seen, and as the bristled body and large tusks came into view, it became obvious that this was an active, strong male. Mist shifted her bola to her right hand, and started to swing it above her head, before suddenly standing and loosing it towards the boar. Rowan's eyes tracked the weapon's path, and his heart sank. It was going to miss the boar by two, maybe even three lengths of its body. Mist was supposed to be one of the best hunters in the clan, how could she make such a mistake?

Out of the corner of his eye, Rowan noticed the plants move at the boar's feet. He saw nothing else, but something spooked the pig, causing it to squeal in fear and anger, before it dashed away from the movement. And right into the path of Mist's thrown bolas. The weapon wrapped around the boar, entangling its legs, and bringing it to the ground with a loud thump.
    "Quickly, Rowan! End it!" Mist shouted, the smile on her face one that the other shifter had never seen before.
    Then again, he had never been hunting with the girl. He raised his spear, and dashed towards the downed animal, determined to end its life in one merciful thrust.

Background.
    Mist was born in the forests of Dalequan, part of a small clan of nomadic shifters who went where the hunting was good. From an early age, she ran with the hunters, learning to use the spear and blade to take down the prey, and finish them off as quickly as possible. Her people considered the forest as an entity in itself, a network of life, death, plant and animal alike, and treated the whole system with reverence and respect. She soon became adept with one of the rarer weapons her clan made use of, a weapon that brought the prey down and made it impossible to escape the quick death from a hunter's knife, rather than allow the creature to run with an arrow or spear in its side, further distressing it unnecessarily. The bola quickly because her weapon of choice, and her obvious skill with the weighted cords made her a much-valued member of the hunt.

As she spent more time in the forest, and thus more time on the hunt, Mist became aware of whispers and motions that others around her seemed not to notice. Later, when she was alone, she attempted to figure out what these things were, and why they only appeared to her. The young huntress found no answers.

When she achieved adulthood, aged 16, Mist approached the spiritual leader of her people, to learn her destiny, and her place within the clan. After a lengthy ritual, and much communing between the young girl and the shaman, a realisation was made. Mist was one of the few among her people with a connection to the primal spirits of the forest, though it was not in a way the shaman was overly familiar with. Rather than control and direct the spirits, Mist was interesting to them. The spirits approached her, observed her, and in some cases protected her from harm that the girl never knew threatened her. With time, practice and communication, she came to an agreement with the spirits that found her so fascinating. They would help her, if she asked nicely, and aid her when they could. Mist was more than happy with this arrangement, as she felt vaguely anxious about telling the spirits what to do, and found the symbiotic relationship she was forming with these entities was much more appealing than commanding them.

Personality and appearance.
    Mist is raw, wild and free. She does not conform to the more civilised view on what is beautiful, or how a lady should present herself. She wears functional, camouflaged leathers on the hunt, decorated with glyphs telling the stories of her people, and keeps her hair tied out of the way, so as not to hamper her hunting skills. However, there is an enticing flavour of beauty under the grime, fur and leathers, if one looks hard enough. She carries the trappings of a woodsperson - a bundle of spears, protective clothing and tools, a tanning kit, traps and skinning knives, and of course, her bola.

She is quiet and shy around the more confident city types, but in the woods, where she knows the environment and the rules, she is much more forward and direct. She does not like to kill unless it is absolutely necessary - for food, or self-defence - and she finds those who kill for fun to be wholly repugnant and distasteful. Her respect for nature, and the spirits that dwell there, is absolute. Those who do not hold the proper awe for the natural world are quickly educated, so they do not make the same unthinkable mistakes a second time.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like a strong crop of role players...*fingers crossed* I hope I make the cut, this could be a very fun game.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I won't lie. I'd much rather play Lyssa than Mist. Lyssa just seems like a fun ranged Striker with some Defender tricks for off-tanking, and she's quite good at movement denial and forcing unfavorable conditions on enemies where none of the choices are really a 'win'. That's not something an Avenger would be able to do, or a pure Warlock either.

Mist is much more straightforward. Similar idea to the build (which is why I submitted her) concentrating on immobilises rather than a bunch of bad choices, but a Controller rather than a Striker.

Anyhow, the deadline's soon, so good luck to everyone involved!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Looks like a strong crop of role players...*fingers crossed* I hope I make the cut, this could be a very fun game.

Seconded.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    thirded, seems like a lot of people are very excited for this one, and following it closely.

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh god, the pressure! THE PRESSURE!
    Brody wrote: »
    Cotillion, Halfling Rogue/Warlock

Background and stuff to come.

... this character is named after a young debutante's coming out party?

hippofant on
  • Options
    KeldonusKeldonus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Endless" Lazam

Background
    Lazam, surname long forgotten, as is the origin of his nickname, has devoted his life to attempting to control vast amounts of arcane energy, something that he mildly succeeds at. Much of his time over the years since he began his studies of the Arcane arts has been spent locked away in solitude, meditating and experimenting with vast energies. He feels that he is on the right track to determining why the Gods have abandoned the world. He carries with him several notebooks, jealously guarded, as well as a lengthy scroll, on which he sketches out a vast diagram (at this time, over 20 linear feet long) of how the Gods came to be and why they left and how the Arcane energies play a role in all of this. In short, very little separates "Endless" Lazam from the insane beggars that call out for alms in the streets and markets of the towns of Dalequan.

Mannerisms and Appearance
    Lazam is on the small side for halflings, and often quite disheveled-looking, as if he spent the night in a ditch. His robes are dirty, there is dirt underneath his fingernails, and his hair is a shaggy mop. However, intense dark eyes peer out from behind the grime, often appearing to be staring through whatever lay in front of him.
    On occasion, he will stop suddenly and stare, sometimes at nothing, sometimes at something in particular, appear to study it, and madly scribble notes into one of his precious notebooks. He will occasionally trail off while speaking, sometimes mid-sentence, as if something no one can see distracted him.

This is a rejiggering of a character that I submitted to a different PbP, but was not picked. I liked the idea, so I reworked it and submitted him here. Hopefully that's ok

I'm new to D&D, but not new to pen and paper gaming (~15 years playing other systems). 4e seems pretty awesome, and would love to actually be able to play it.

Keldonus on
  • Options
    CyrosCyros Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's going to be a tight finish!

Cyros on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woogity wrote: »
    thirded, seems like a lot of people are very excited for this one, and following it closely.

God is dead...

An idea so simple, yet I think it's so complex it really brings out the role players on the board.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    I won't lie. I'd much rather play Lyssa than Mist. Lyssa just seems like a fun ranged Striker with some Defender tricks for off-tanking, and she's quite good at movement denial and forcing unfavorable conditions on enemies where none of the choices are really a 'win'. That's not something an Avenger would be able to do, or a pure Warlock either.

Mist is much more straightforward. Similar idea to the build (which is why I submitted her) concentrating on immobilises rather than a bunch of bad choices, but a Controller rather than a Striker.

Anyhow, the deadline's soon, so good luck to everyone involved!

I'm not sure what character I would rather play. Kravix would be fun because of the heavy dragoness I'd be pushing him towards, buy Armaros seems like he could be fun because I plan to pick up summons with auras and use Warlock powers to drag enemies through them.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    Oh god, the pressure! THE PRESSURE!
    Brody wrote: »
    Cotillion, Halfling Rogue/Warlock

Background and stuff to come.

... this character is named after a young debutante's coming out party?

I understood it to be a type of dance. Also, the name of an awesome character from the Malazan Books of the Fallen series.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reed, Halfling Ranger

Background
    Trade Cartels became quite an important, if nondescript feature of the struggling nation of Dalequan after the gods’ disappearance. Bands of traders, motley groups of economically minded persons, identified a demand and capitalised on it. Heavily armed caravans braved the wilds, serving a need and making quite the profit along the way. For at least 150 years these de facto trade firms have grown and become slowly more organised, and by this point in time are well established and quite wealthy, known for being an excellent source of employment for skilled fighters, always needed to defend the convoys.

Reed was one such employee. Part of the detail of one of the relatively recently established river-based trade “fleets” (strings of cargo vessels plying their wares along the waterways of the land) his job was to defend the boats from the occasional bandit attack. Far safer than the land-based alternative and paying extremely well, Reed had work that led to a life of relative ease. That is, until he found himself the victim of the dreaded beast that is downsizing. Now, out of a job and almost entirely alone in a dangerous world, Reed is looking for work and money wherever he can get it. He might have just found it, his good references serving him well, but he may be in for more than he bargained.

As for experience, I’m basically lacking anything real in regards to D&D. I’ve wanted to get into it for ages but at the last minute a group among my friends fell through, I even bought the PHB in anticipation. I am however quite familiar with all the mechanics, I've listened to the podcasts a bunch of times, read a bunch of PBP games so I’m pretty familiar with how they work, and have a little experience RPing in Call of Cthulhu. I’m really just looking for a chance to get into it, and am really interested in this game whether I get in or not, great setting and lots of great characters!

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    mattakaslashmattakaslash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Second submission: Blazra, Genasi Artificer.

Background:
    Blazra's home was destroyed by a wizard in his village. It was an accident; the wizard was simply trying to perform a spell beyond his abilities, and it got out of control. Blazra's house burned down, and his parents moved with him, their only child, to a different village to start a new life. This all happened when Blazra was only 3 years old.

Many years later, never having been told this story, Blazra found that he had a talent for magic; specifically, manipulating the magic of enchanted items. When his parents found out, they were furious. Not explaining why, they simply said he could not continue practicing these things while he was living in their house. Upset, the genasi agreed and left his home, becoming an adventurer.

mattakaslash on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The day of judgement is at hand.

Cyros on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    Submission Deadline: Whenever I wake up on July 5th.

Tomorrow!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've been ahead a day mentally for some dumb reason.

Cyros on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had some other guys planned out but I like this guy best of 'em.

Tullos, Shadar-kai "Revenant" Vestige Pact Warlock

Mechanical stuff: Conlocks are wierd. Ranged striker/single-target controller that can off-defend. With certain vestiges, off-leading can happen, too. Revenant Shadar-Kai means I can take Reaper's Touch so I can get a melee basic attack, should I take it. What gets emphasized how much as the game goes on depends on the rest of the party. Might want to do some rebuilding when I see the rest of the party.

With Eyes of the Vestige and the minor action curse, I can curse two enemies a turn, (or three, with Quickcurse Rod's encounter power,) so paired with one of the hybrid-locks, we can curse everything forever. That'd be fun, and save some time if all we care about is curse damage.

Hey let's talk about words.

Background
    There is a school of thought that says that all of todays troubles are the result of mistakes older than anyone alive today. Tullos isn't sure about that, but he didn't really need to be to get paid to dig up an ancient city. A strapping young man in need of money, he felt himself more than up to the challenge, so long as things went more or less as planned. They didn't of course, and when the ground collapsed beneath him, debris blocking out the sun, he had little option but to follow the echo of voices, blind and hurting.
    Tullos still can't say how long he was under there, days or months or just long enough to die, but he came out again, somewhere he didn't know and hadn't heard of, and the voices had come with him too. He wasn't far from Dalequan though, (everyone has heard of Dalequan,) and he made his way there. His apparent attunement with the vestiges of ancient powers has drawn the attention of mages within the city Even those as high up as the Archmage's Citadel.

Appearance, mannerisms
    Had his skin paled? Did his cheeks look hollower, his eyes more sunken? Tullos doesn't think so, and to most he looks a little unhealthy, starved or tired. But Tullos has never felt better.

Tullos doesn't know when to stop. One more story, one more mile, one more drink; Tullos has all the time in the world, it feels like. He'll respond quickly to the urgings of others--though the vestiges that follow him don't usually get him moving--but on his own, nothing will get done, or it will never be finished.

Tullos sometimes wonders about the people he left on the other side of that hole--his family, his friends, the woman he was going to marry--but all that seems far off and unimportant now. He'll go back there, one day.

Vestiges
    Tullos' closest companions are the fragments of god-things that have bound themselves to him. (Or did he do the binding and forget?) Zutwa and Elidyr stand out, if only for being the loudest and most coherent. He suspects their presence has been slowly drawing more strange, forgotten vestiges to him.

King Elidyr Pact Boon: One ally adjecent to you gains a +2 bonus to all defenses until then end of your next turn.
    Nerath's ancient king wants a nice, solid empire around again.

Zutwa Pact Boon: The bonus to attack rolls from your Prime Shot increases to +3 until the end of your next turn.
    Zutwa died to end the rampage of a primordial of manifest dissolution. She has held a special enmity for the builders of the world ever since.

Mount Vaelis Pact Boon: One creature cursed by you and within 5 of you gains vulnerability 5 to thunder until the end of your next turn.
    An echo of a primordial victory over the gods, Mount Vaelis urges the destruction of the divine.

Flavor note: Aside from having the diluted blood of shadar-kai who abandoned the Shadowfell long before the Quieting, Tullos has no ties to the Raven Queen at all. His benign-but-unnatural near-unlife is likely the result of the bargains that he doesn't remember well he made with shards of old, great powers that aren't entirely sapient anymore. This, uh, may bite him in the ass eventually.

Only DnD I've played is in another PbP here.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ...Are Bugbears an allowable race? I don't know off-hand if they ever published an official 'zine article with Bugbears or not.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bugbears are still only a Monster Manual race. Also, the general consensus is that their over-sized weapon trait should be ignored if they are used as a player race, as all other MM races who had the over-sized weapon trait had it removed when they were made fully-supported player races.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bugbears are still only a Monster Manual race. Also, the general consensus is that their over-sized weapon trait should be ignored if they are used as a player race, as all other MM races who had the over-sized weapon trait had it removed when they were made fully-supported player races.

Yeah, oversized weapon is pretty cheese, so I was hoping they'd have ported the race to Dragon by now. :/

Mr. GM man, is it alright if I roll a Bugbear and ignore the oversized weapon thing? (EDIT: Not that it would matter; imma roll a monk) I just want a character I can give a really silly name to.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    Mr. GM man, is it alright if I roll a Bugbear and ignore the oversized weapon thing? (EDIT: Not that it would matter; imma roll a monk) I just want a character I can give a really silly name to.

I have no issue with your playing a bugbear. You can play a Thri-Kreen if you want, if you can write it in somehow.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I just rolled him up anyway. NOW WHAT???

Character background & fluff:
    Whamm Toofnokka

'...Who? Whamm? He's a giant goblin named 'Whamm'. That's the kind of math you should be able to do in your head by now, son.'

Whamm Toofnokka, the Yorkshire Pudding fueled righteous wrecking ball of the north. There's no evil he can't punch (and he punches awfully hard). This massive, semi-notorious Bugbear has spent decades wandering from settlement to settlement, doing heroic pseudo-mercenary work in exchange for freshly baked pastries. Fascist xenophobic dictator? He'll smash that for you. Necromancer with a 400 year old vendetta against your town? It's already krumped. Demigod and his nine undead kings who seeks total domination over the free world? Nothing some elbow to the face can't fix.

Character Sheet:

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2131

EDIT: Oh, my experience: I've played 4E on and off since it first came out. I've got all of the regular books and used to try and collect every magazine, before I ran out of $texas. I still get a few rules wrong or forget stuff, because I'm one of those people.

I've used MapTools too. Like a couple dozen times or so.

EDIT: IZ NOT UNDERSTAND!!!

Character Builder tells me I get a +6 total attack bonus at 1st level. It doesn't seem to be giving me the +3 proficiency bonus for my Monk Unarmed Attack except when it comes to making basic melee attacks, which is pretty sadhat.

Is this correct? I don't get the proficiency bonus unless I make basic melee attacks instead of using my At-Will powers?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dragonbornwipbyaaaokay.jpg

Emir Kenan At-Tarf

(character information in sheet)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I nearly used that head myself for my barbarian Horseshoe, good pick :^:

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ...I was going to leave it at just one submission. But then I saw a DVD in my room, and, well...

Character Background / Fluff:
    Dredd

judgedredd1.jpg

Boot sequence initialized.

Executing high impact transaction preamble.

"Disarming introductory message: Salutations potential consumer. My designated label for purposes of distinguishment is Dredd. For the visually impaired, I am an alloy-based humanoid construct weighing 297.65 pounds and standing 6'9.4" tall.

I am a Mark V Battle Buddy - an assassination machine that has been deployed to forcibly separate your cerebral cortex from your cranial cavity.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Alarm is not necessary; that was merely a facetious comment meant to endear you to obvious eccentricities in my personality.

Intriguing rhetorical query: Were you aware that you now have the opportunity to try the Mark V Battle Buddy for yourself? There is no cost or contractual obligation associated with this demonstration - I am one of several units produced & set to act autonomously on behalf of my manufacturer for marketing purposes.

Recitation of exaggerated advertising claims: There is no dungeon that runs too deep for the Mark V Battle Buddy. There is no adventuring party that could possibly hope to survive the perils that one could with my capabilities at their disposal! I am completely impervious to all forms of attack, though not field tested against it, my manufacturer would give me great odds against even the mighty Terrasque itself. If you plan to see big trouble in big labyrinths, you need to bring along a big buddy - and I am a very big buddy.

Aggressive closing statement: You cannot entertain hesitation. My transaction preamble was accurate, informative and alluring. There is no doubt that you wish for me to accompany you on your next adventure. Please state the tactical parameters you desire that I fill."

Character Sheet

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Character Builder tells me I get a +6 total attack bonus at 1st level. It doesn't seem to be giving me the +3 proficiency bonus for my Monk Unarmed Attack except when it comes to making basic melee attacks, which is pretty sadhat.

Is this correct? I don't get the proficiency bonus unless I make basic melee attacks instead of using my At-Will powers?

Take another look at your monk powers.

a) They are not versus AC, they target NADS (Fort/Ref/Will/Testicles)

b) They are not weapon powers, they are implement powers. You don't get proficiency bonuses from weapons if you're using an implement power.

Monks are rad.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Take another look at your monk powers.

a) They are not versus AC, they target NADS (Fort/Ref/Will/Testicles)

b) They are not weapon powers, they are implement powers. You don't get proficiency bonuses from weapons if you're using an implement power.

Monks are rad.

OMFG I didn't notice that.

Oh. Oh man. That's way too awesome.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, make sure you cover a bunch of NADs with your power if possible, and everyone's telling me that Fort is a bad NAD to target because it's usually very high. (Though I've only noticed this with big, strong monsters. Usually it's the weakest defense on things like nancy-elves, ghosts, lurker-style enemies etc)

I really need to try a monk sometime. Their Full-Discipline movement powers coupled with the attacks seem so awesome.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ...I also noticed that, like, EVERYTHING is on Dex. I'm going to do something I've never done before and set a stat to pre-racial 18. D:

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Generally speaking, Soldiers and Brutes have high Fort, medium-low Reflex and low Will. Skirmishers and Artillery have high Reflex, medium Will and low Fort, and Controllers will have high Will, medium-low Fort and medium-low Reflex. Of course, these numbers are all modified further by keywords (undead will almost always have lower reflex and will for higher fort, for example).

The best mix to target NADs is Reflex and Fort. I can't think of anything that gets both of them within 3 of eachother. But, keep in mind it's metagaming pretty hard to be like 'oh I'll target his Fort cuz I know it's lowest!' so don't be that guy.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really need to try a monk sometime. Their Full-Discipline movement powers coupled with the attacks seem so awesome.

Look at [strike]"Open GAAAAATE!"[/strike] Open the Gate of Battle. I mean, just look at it. It's so cheese; it's Avalanche Strike without the drawback - and you get to move around like a jackass after you've dished it out.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, it's not really metagaming to target the huge, slow giant with an attack that relies on being fast and hard to dodge (vs Reflex) as opposed to an attack that relies on taking advantage of a target's physical frailty (vs Fort), I feel? I mean, it's pretty obvious that some attacks would be more effective against a big, slow guy and others against a fragile, but agile foe?

Also, The Ender. Every class has a primary stat that it uses for attacks, apart from four that I can think of off the top of my head. (Warlock - Con/Cha, Paladin - Str/Cha, Cleric - Str/Wis, Ranger - Str/Dex). Monks use Dexterity for their attacks, with either Strength (Stone Fist) or Wisdom (Centered Breath) as their controlling stat for bonus effects. It means that Rogues don't need a good Strength to kick ass with daggers, and can be great with just Dexterity, for example.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also, The Ender. Every class has a primary stat that it uses for attacks, apart from four that I can think of off the top of my head. (Warlock - Con/Cha, Paladin - Str/Cha, Cleric - Str/Wis, Ranger - Str/Dex). Monks use Dexterity for their attacks, with either Strength (Stone Fist) or Wisdom (Centered Breath) as their controlling stat for bonus effects. It means that Rogues don't need a good Strength to kick ass with daggers, and can be great with just Dexterity, for example

Yeah, but Dex turns out to be my Attack, Damage & AC bonus all in one. The only thing I lose by pulling back on my Str (as a Stone Flurry guy) is a point of damage for my flurry thingy.

I think that's a pretty good deal.

EDIT: Question about Flurries - if you hit a guy with one of your Full Discipline powers, then use the power's move component, can you use the flurry after you've moved? Or do you have to use the flurry right after you've done the attacking part?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just to clarify - the move component of a Monk attack isn't free, you have to spend your movement action for it.

On the Flurry of Blows, you use it straight after your attack.

Also, dropping your strength not only lowers your Stone Fist Flurry of Blows, it ALSO lowers your Athletics checks and Fortitude Defense. Just to let you know.

But yeah, attack rolls, damage rolls, reflex defense AND AC bonus is a sweet deal. Dex is more of a god-stat for Rogues, Monks, archer Rangers and Assassins than it ever was.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just to clarify - the move component of a Monk attack isn't free, you have to spend your movement action for it.

Yeah, I assumed that much. It'd be pretty crazy to be able to move and then also get the full discipline boosted movement cheese on top of that. XD

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm up! I'm up! Decisions to come soon!

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Now, the real waiting begins!

Good luck, everyone.