edited October 2010
    "We will rule over all this land and we shall call it... This Land."

"I think we should call it your grave!"

"Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

inevitable-betrayal-2.jpg

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's pretty great, haha!

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Congratulations to Elvenshae, and uh.... my apologies to Reasonablehobo. :twisted:

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Have you guys wrapped up the game? Is it time for me to make a game with no official alliances, so that things are always spun weirdly?

Or perhaps a fixed-team system, with teams decided -before- the game is made (so that it isn't a simple "this side vs. that")?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    So for reference, the jerks to watch out for are:

Imperfect (Brown), TheOtherHorseman (Lime) and blurbl (Brown)

vs.

Joemunkeh (dark green) and Lorde Gravewish (yellow)

vs.

Mifio (orange) and Me (a beautiful shade of periwinkle)

and everyone else will be caught in the crossfire.

Hee hee. I wanted to revive this, since none of these players made it to the final top 3.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah. I don't check in for a day, then the game is over with no chance for blitzkrieging to 3rd place... And I was the 2nd player with most ships - and with a small deal with one player in the game, had the most weapons tech too!

Ah well, congratulations to Elvenshae.
    Me getting fourth place (with 19 planets) wasn't bad considering my initial position and brown stupidly attacking me the whole game :)

Loved the game... Let's do another! And yes, let's do alliances off... It's better!

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Did you cut the deal with Hobo in hopes to blitzing me out to 4th just before game end?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wait, the fabulous gorilla won?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No, I told him if he wanted to try to get third place he could take my stars before Elven won, which is what you basically told him as well.

Alliances are fine IMO.

If there is a next game, forum names should be optional IMO.

Reasonable Hobo on
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What do I need to do to get in on a game? I am currently playing a PUB game, can I be added to a list of potential players?

Please and thank you.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just started, and am generally performing poorly, but improving.

I too would be interested in a PA game.

Edit: And a team game would be peachy keen.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey, guys - had a fun time in this game. I'll post my post-mortem a little bit later, after I have some time to write it and after I spend some time at the beach. :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good game, tough fight, had no one to blame but myself.
    that said I totally would have done better with better allies it's all your fault your fault your fault

Lux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How would a team one even work?

I think alliances are fine because you can still be betrayed, as it was shown that I was. Coming away from this I learned to not make any type of permanent alliances with your neighbors.

Reasonable Hobo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No, I told him if he wanted to try to get third place he could take my stars before Elven won, which is what you basically told him as well.

Alliances are fine IMO.

If there is a next game, forum names should be optional IMO.

For argument's sake, I didn't think he could actually dethrone you completely. I was hoping he'd act as a diversion on another front, to keep you from countering and taking second back.
    How would a team one even work?

I think alliances are fine because you can still be betrayed, as it was shown that I was. Coming away from this I learned to not make any type of permanent alliances with your neighbors.

We can totally be allies in the next game. I'll be good!

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Haha.

No. :P

That's why I suggested optional forum names. If there's a next game I'm going to be gunning for you!

Likewise I'm sure others formed similar conclusions about people they betrayed/trusted/etc.

Something something fool me once, etc.

Reasonable Hobo on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How about we use other people's forum names? I call Stopgap.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to pay for / setup a new game tomorrow and I'll post when signups can start. Here's the rules:

Basically going to use default settings; resources won't be as plentiful as a result, no official alliances. Nobody use their actual forum name. Use a new name or name nobody can attribute to you.

This is going to be an experiment in how much of huge douchebags we can be to one another.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid, I want to get you in the G&T Secret Santa.

I will give you a vicious nutkicking in NP for Christmas.
    Well, I'm going to give that to you anyway, but if I'm your Santa, it just saves me money. =3

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm going to pay for / setup a new game tomorrow and I'll post when signups can start. Here's the rules:

Basically going to use default settings; resources won't be as plentiful as a result, no official alliances. Nobody use their actual forum name. Use a new name or name nobody can attribute to you.

This is going to be an experiment in how much of huge douchebags we can be to one another.

Any possibility of using the "simmetric"/fair galaxies? So that none of us starts surrounded by 6 "friends" while others only by 2?

LordGravewish on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Alright gang, new game is available for signups with a 12 player cap.

Name: Sombrero Galaxy (game number is 3308438)
    Secret Keyword: wang

Normal pay time (once a day)
    Standard costs for development and research time
    $250 starting money (be smarter with it)
    24 stars per player, 1.5 LY distance homestars
    4 starting stars, 5 economy, 5 industry, 1 science

No official alliances

Your fleets will start with 20 ships instead of 10.

http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game=13308438

Also, I still encourage you guys to join with unfamiliar names. Mine is kinda forced on but I don't care.

Edit - Oh balls I didn't see your post 'til I made this one Gravewish. D:

I still have plenty of credits, and I can use one of the symmetrical galaxies for another new game. The symmetrical galaxies (there's two perfect symmetrical galaxies, one large, one small) are basically spirals, and the center of the galaxy is one star in the middle with a cluster of stars circling it, then the spiral unfolds from the ring.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So we can't sign ceasefires?

Septus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No you cannot. You have to arrange for them, and if you need passage, you need to barter. None of this "oh we can pass through and not assault your system" crap.

On the bright side, that's easier to arrange because the resources are standard in this. Which means there will be technically-worthless stars that people shouldn't mind losing to allow an ally to jump across territory.

And again, I still have a lot of credits to make 3 more games for people to join so if you guys don't like this one I can make another. I wonder if I get refunded credits for deleting a game...

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is it OK that I signed up?

El Mucho on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Of course, it's first-come, first-served. :P

As long as you have an idea of what you're getting into. If you don't, I will not be held responsible for people taking advantage of you. Figuratively, of course!

... of course! <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    Tuba DanTuba Dan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I heard about this game on the Idle Thumbs podcast (tear) a few months back, and it sounded awesome. Consider me in.

Tuba Dan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tuba Dan wrote: »
    I heard about this game on the Idle Thumbs podcast (tear) a few months back, and it sounded awesome. Consider me in.

That's where I heard it too. I think Chris and Famous' description of what the game is colored it heavily for me (cut-throat deal making).

If you new guys have questions about what things mean, feel free to ask.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have been playing a public game. Are the deals mostly done through private messages?

El Mucho on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pretty much. Though, there is a function you can turn on in private / paid games for actual alliances, where the game will recognize you and someone else being allied and share vision and not have your fleets attack each other when passing by stars you and your ally own.

I don't like that function though.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think the actual alliances function is fine, I was just surprised by how little betrayal there was.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Interesting.

I think I'll try a pubbie game first before jumping into a PA game. Unless you guys don't mind noobs/need the extra cannon fodder.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You can join up if you want. When I get back from work tonight I'll take a look at how signups are going and if it's pacing along plenty, I'll make a second game; this time with Gravewish's request of a fixed galaxy (because I'm curious about playing one myself).

Edit - Though I do recommend a pub game on the side just to try the game out and familiarize yourself with it. Again, if you guys have questions, ask 'em. The game functions are simple, but there's a lot to think about with them.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Whoa holy shit, 8 out of 12 players already.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    You can join up if you want. When I get back from work tonight I'll take a look at how signups are going and if it's pacing along plenty, I'll make a second game; this time with Gravewish's request of a fixed galaxy (because I'm curious about playing one myself).

I've joined.
    I don't have a free spot for a third game tough, which sucks... IMO we do a fixed galaxy after this one is over?

LordGravewish on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sure thing Gravewish. Is there anything else you have in mind for it, or are the default settings (like the ones I'm using for this current game, minus the 20 starting ships) good enough?

My vote on that is yes, 'cause I want to see how we do when we're all on even footing.

By the way, the large fixed galaxy is 16 players I think.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What's a "fixed" galaxy?

Septus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Stars are aligned in fixed positions, and I think the resource counts are fixed too (not sure on that). It offers up even distancing of players, so nobody is necessarily surrounded.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    stars_hamilton.jpg
    The Hamilton Galaxy for an epic battle in a symmetrical spiral. 12 Players and 24 stars per player.

stars_baxter.jpg
    The Baxter Galaxy for an epic battle in a random starfield. The galaxy is huge so speed and range will play a more significant role. Warning! This game will take months to complete. 12 Players and 32 stars per player.

stars_banks.jpg
    The Banks Galaxy for an exciting conflict in a symmetrical spiral. 6 Players and 18 Stars per Player.

stars_reynolds.jpg
    The Reynolds Galaxy is a chaotic cluster of chaos. Players starting positions are very close, so things will be fast and furious. 6 Players and 12 Stars per player.

stars_simmons.jpg
    The Simmons Galaxy for an intense battle in a symmetrical spiral. This is a tiny map so the game could be over in a matter of days. 3 players and 12 stars per player.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some... interesting names we've got signed up so far.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hopefully it's folks from here. I'd hate to think the password was easy to figure out.

Henroid on