As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Professor Layton + Phoenix Wright crossover announced for 3DS?!?!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The modding community will give you a way to hack it like, a month after release anyway. Just buy one.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Glorious.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Wow, Gyakuten Saiban has reached a new low. Capcom, I know you want to drain every last single fucking penny you can from the franchise, but sometimes letting something in pain die is the humane thing to do. Really, kill it. The series hasn't been good in the last five years.

I'm going to cut you now.

This is a fucking glorious and wonderful thing.

Paint the man.

Cut the lines.

On topic now, I think I need some new pants. These ones are ruined. Forever.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All my dicks are cumming.

Camui on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I haff tvelve evidence.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The modding community will give you a way to hack it like, a month after release anyway. Just buy one.

Yes, because DSIXL Modding is so prolific, aye?

Nintendo will be on that shit to ensure we never have our 3D MegaTen.
    I haff tvelve evidence.
    http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4426909

Conan-san on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maya has a separate stomach for puzzles.

Taya on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Wow, Gyakuten Saiban has reached a new low. Capcom, I know you want to drain every last single fucking penny you can from the franchise, but sometimes letting something in pain die is the humane thing to do. Really, kill it. The series hasn't been good in the last five years.

I'm going to cut you now.

This is a fucking glorious and wonderful thing.

That, Trials and Tribulations was also released Stateside in 2007.

And anyone that thinks that T&T isn't a spectacular sendoff to the Phoenix Wright arc is a silly goose.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I think I'll wait until knowing a freeregion hack exists before buying, most likely.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The villain is an evil magic storyteller that captures characters from different universes, and puts them in new situations together. The villain is a fan fiction author.

Either that, or he's Drosselmeyer from Princess Tutu.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Look, I'll give you Apollo Justice, but if you didn't like Ace Attorney Investigations, you're just plain wrong.

You really think it was the same quality as the original trilogy? For that matter, you think it's in the same league as Ghost Trick? GS is like Yakuza, constantly scrapping the bottom of the barrel for a new gimmick or painfully attempting to continue its already complete storyline. I can forgive Yakuza though, since the story is only one minor element of the game*. GS fails or succeeds based solely on the strength of its story. I didn't really like the Layton game I played, and the scenario work isn't close near the quality of GS. Do GS fans really want to run around solving brain twisters? Do Layton fans really want to go through what a huge script that just stops short of a full blown visual novel?

When a product is developed SOLELY because they think that they can sell it to consumers regardless of its quality, it should raise a red flag. It just makes me a bit sad that this happening GS, since I love the series so much and it's disappointing that after making a great original game, Takumi Shu now is returning to the franchise YET AGAIN instead of writing an original scenario. At this rate, his next game is going to be a Ghost Trick X GS crossover :(

**Ok, the real reason I forgive Yakuza is that Kenzan was brilliant (perhaps the best PS3 game?) and Yakuza 3 was the first game in the series I played. Perhaps the real question is whether the crossover will end up hurting the design or scenario and help it by liberating from the basic design and scenario of their respective games. Color me cynical, but I'm going to wait a few weeks after the game is released and there are a mountain of reviews before I even consider touching it.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    And anyone that thinks that T&T isn't a spectacular sendoff to the Phoenix Wright arc is a silly goose.

Apollo Could have done with being it's own thing as it was intended and not having any fan pandering bullshit as it did.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Conan-san wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »

Apollo Could have done with being it's own thing as it was intended and not having any fan pandering bullshit as it did.

This is true.

I try not to think of AJ as being a continuation of Phoenix at all, because he's OBVIOUSLY shoe-horned in there to give AJ some connection to the previous games for the sake of ensuring $$$ return and security.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    However Phoenix was the best character in Apollo Justice. I liked him better in that game than in the previous games. If AJ stood on its own, I'm not sure if the game would have been interesting enough.

Anyway, even if AJ and AAI weren't as great as the first three games, they were still good. I'm not concerned about this crossover. They wouldn't risk ruining Layton, in any case.

Taya on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Aye.

There's already at least one cart being sold that gets past its protections. Of course it doesn't need to enable region free because it already is.

And 3DS will be even easier due to the SD card (which is what enabled the Wii to be hacked). I know the DSi has an SD slot too but it wasn't designed to do much with it, since the original DS didn't have one.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Nintendo will be on that shit to ensure we never have our 3D MegaTen.
    I haff tvelve evidence.
    http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4426909

The DSiXL is not the wow spinny 3D future of portable gaming for the next 5 years though.

Region-locking quickly became a major pain in the neck for the Wii (still waiting for Excitebots and Trauma Team...), and would have been disastrous for the enthusiast DS owner (the £30 vs $30 pricepoint still rankles, and Ouendan 1&2 remain my most-played DS games). The motivation to mod the DS to be region-free is certainly there, but sadly I think it more likely that we'll get this off the back whatever the preferred piracy method for the 3DS becomes.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nintnedo could easily mitigate that nonsense if they'd stop being massive cocks about it but yeah, unfortunately it's 3DR4s for us Euro-peons!

Conan-san on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It all hinges on whether save games are still on individual carts, or stored on the SD card.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jesus Christ, I literily started squeeling and clapping my hands when I saw this. This will be absolutly glorious.
    mxmarks wrote: »
    - WHOS MUSIC WINS OUT. Do we get a french inspired version of Wrights theme!?
    Oh god yes. A Cornered theme based on accordian and string quartet would be pure audio essence of emot-fappery-1.gif.

EDIT: I wonder how they're going to weave justice and laws and that shit into the puzzles? Math and imagery and whatnot're one thing, but I can't think of too many puzzles (none, in fact) that're oriented around judicial stuff. I hope it doesn't descend into slathering old universal puzzles with a court-colored layer of paint.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I read the thread title three times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating it.

Mind. BLOWN.

I can't wait to see how weird this gets.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So this is pretty fucking spectacular

Senshi on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    The DSiXL is not the wow spinny 3D future of portable gaming for the next 5 years though.

Region-locking quickly became a major pain in the neck for the Wii (still waiting for Excitebots and Trauma Team...), and would have been disastrous for the enthusiast DS owner (the £30 vs $30 pricepoint still rankles, and Ouendan 1&2 remain my most-played DS games). The motivation to mod the DS to be region-free is certainly there, but sadly I think it more likely that we'll get this off the back whatever the preferred piracy method for the 3DS becomes.

Yeah, pretty much. I had to softmod my Wii to be able to use GeckoOS to play NTSC discs, and it looks like we'll need to wait and see what hacking method there is for 3DS as well.

It's really rather annoying. That said, there is a certain ironic amusement to be found in how Nintendo's locks stimulate and multiply piracy in whole regions of the world instead of deterring it.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    EDIT: I wonder how they're going to weave justice and laws and that shit into the puzzles? Math and imagery and whatnot're one thing, but I can't think of too many puzzles (none, in fact) that're oriented around judicial stuff. I hope it doesn't descend into slathering old universal puzzles with a court-colored layer of paint.

Nah, they will probably divide it into Layton doing investigation parts and Phoenix defending someone in court.
    The first case just has to be Phoenix freeing Layton from some trumped-up charges.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's for the 3DS, but will it be able to play on a DS lite, as I'd like to get a 3DS, but I still have a working DS lite that gets much love.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's for the 3DS, but will it be able to play on a DS lite, as I'd like to get a 3DS, but I still have a working DS lite that gets much love.

It will only play on a 3DS. If it were going to play on a DS Lite, it would be called a DS game, not a 3DS game.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh my

If this game has a coffee shop locale with Godot's Theme all Layton-ized I think I'd pretty much die

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got a DSi XL, and I love it, but I had thought it would be a while before I would want a 3DS. This game is severely testing that ambivalence.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "To open this door you need to solve this millenia old puzzle which no one has ev-"

"OBJECTION!"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh my

If this game has a coffee shop locale with Godot's Theme all Layton-ized I think I'd pretty much die
    Oh my god oh my god I can already hear it emot-circlefap.gif

Sorenson on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I see Sporky got my back, good show

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All I can hear is Layton's too-soft gentlemanly voice saying "Objection."

Taramoor on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Josh I gotta ask seriously are any of the puzzles in Layton hard for you due to your colorblindedness

Rent on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck off Lunker

Nobody bought Hatsworth and we'll never get a sequel and I hate this world so much

Wouldn't it be awesome if the guys that made Hatsworth had left EA and were working on a new 2D platformer that looks in some ways like a spiritual successor.

http://8bithorse.blogspot.com/2010/10/monster-tale.html

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Josh I gotta ask seriously are any of the puzzles in Layton hard for you due to your colorblindedness

Not that I can recall!

I don't think anything in there relies purely upon color perception, or if colors are important somehow they are different enough to not be problematic.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No

Fucking

Way

EDIT:
    Taramoor wrote: »

This can't be possible.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    - Will Layton and Wright SPEAK to each other? Will Wright finally have a voice, or will Layton finally get walls of text?!

The AA games have had voices for years. In Japanese trailers at least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jns2Dlv9S9w&fmt=18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEutLi2kBA&fmt=18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC7DWAsWXAs&fmt=18

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why can't this be out right now? This is cruel to announce this when it's so far away from release.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    HOLY

FUCKKKKKKKKKK

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just don't know.

Will it be UMD only? Or can I play this on my GO?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    EDIT:
    Taramoor wrote: »

This can't be possible.

Maybe he says something that's properly gentlemanlike... "Pardon, but there's a contradiction in your testimony"

PARDON!!!

pirateluigi on
    http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh my

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

THIS GAME IS GONNA RULE

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET