As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Taste buds and alcohol question.

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like liquor, but I don't like beer (I've only had shitty beer).

unibroue-la-fin-du-monde.png

I don't know what your beer selection is there, but here we have a couple decent ones... Presidente is pretty decent, and Kubuli has a decently refreshing taste

friend got me a bottle of this
    excited to try it!

skettios on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    CIDER!

Magners, Strongbow!

Apple, Pear!

Whatever! GET IN ME

I wasn't talking about hard cider which I generally don't care for.

You should keep drinking it.

Garlic Bread on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seagrams 7 & 7's are the best. Mmmmmmm.

Can't drink em anymore though. Well technically I can but the last time I did I blacked out and woke up...and nevermind.

Maximum on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Think of all the comedic places you could have said you woke up in!

Hell it could be the plot to a whole summer comedy blockbuster.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i dont usually go for bitter ale but

Iq4Pc.jpg

this is the shit

Beasteh on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    I dont like the coffee analogy. I dont like black coffee, and typically either need a flavored coffee or heavy cream and sugar to drink it, but that makes it taste different.

With booze + fruit juice or something really sweet its like i have two different things in my mouth and i distinctly taste both, they just dont mix, and even if the proportions really offsided (all i need is an eyedropper full of vodka in a glass of orange juice and I can tell.) So I asked mostly as a curiosity.

The coffee analogy fits pretty well, though. You seem to have a particular sensitivity to the taste of alcohol, but for most people the addition of juice or soda or whatever really does mask the alcohol taste. Most "girly drinks" or whatever, like a lemon drop or a cosmo or an appletini, are popular because you can hardly taste the alcohol in them at all.

For most other people, an eyedropper amount of vodka in a glass of orange juice tastes mostly like orange juice. Rum and coke tastes like flavored coke. Wine coolers taste like lightly carbonated juice drinks.

I'm the same way with coffee
    I can't even have chocolate that has coffee in it :( Just ruins it for me

I have a friend who is like the OP with alcohol.
    For some it's just a matter of finding something you like, for others it's just not really possible. No biggie.

skettios on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It wasn't all that special. Apparently I stood in a parking lot and stared at a couple making out in their car for awhile. Took a whiz on some other dudes car who I didn't know.

Friends grabbed me and took me back in the bar but I made a daring escape...and woke up the next morning 10 miles away in some random lawn.

No more hard liquor after that.

Maximum on
    edited May 2011
    Turns out I'm too sick tonight to get drunk tonight.

Sinus infection, really nasty, making me take these pills every few hours.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm a big beer fan. My dad used to do some casual microbrew and I grew up around the stuff. My parents were close friends with the dudes who made this brewing company. So it makes me really sad that my girlfriend hates beer. She'll go for plenty of sweet mixed drinks, but I think the bitterness in most of the beer I drink throws her off. I've tried just about everything at least once and I don't think there's anything she's been able to stand beyond a single sip. The closest I got was a porter that might as well have been 50% coffee.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    martinis & Scotch

Weaver on
    edited May 2011
    Gonna go somewhere a bit after I finally get through this whiskey bottle and build my own six pack of beers.

Try to find some I like.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    best beer
    1039.jpg

also, becoming a big fan of Whiskey Gingers

looking at you Keith.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ouch

Abracadaniel on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    My mix drink, "The Master's Cup". Get a can of Arnold Palmer tea/lemonade, drink some of it. Refill the empty space with the alcohol of your choice. My personal preference is equal parts gin, rum and vodka.

i think that's called a John Daly

It is. It's a great term. There's also no "Cup" in the Masters.

and a delicious drink!

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• FunctionalityFunctionality Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Functionality on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am like the OP, except there are some liquors I do like, sweet girly drinks with very little alcohol. But I haven't the money to buy liquor and my friends don't like the same drinks so whatever.

As far as beer goes, my family has ruined it for me. And they are ruining it for my sister and cousins as well. At parties, they switch out our drinks with beer or something when we aren't looking (pouring out the contents, or subbing a glass of like-colored liquor product) and wait for us to inadvertently drink it. All of us do the "UGGHH" face and they all laugh.

They can not have the satisfaction of me ever liking it :?

Muse Among Men on
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like liquor, but I don't like beer (I've only had shitty beer).

unibroue-la-fin-du-monde.png

I don't know what your beer selection is there, but here we have a couple decent ones... Presidente is pretty decent, and Kubuli has a decently refreshing taste

yay, i love la fin du monde

Swill on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    arrogant-bastard-ale.jpg

My drink of choice is always Arrogant Bastard if I can get. Just love the taste a lot.

Sad thing is about half the time it sends me into sneezing fits like crazy. Kinda embarrassing.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My uncles like to trick the dog into drinking beer; he gets sneezing fits too.

Don't worry, it is endearing!

Muse Among Men on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    My friends' dogs all droop their head and walk away if you point beer at them

My dog wags her tail and tries to drink it

Garlic Bread on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love beer, it is my favourite drink

But I can NEVER DRINK IT AGAIN

and those gluten free "beers" are horseshit

seriously worst life sentence ever

(at least I can still drink hard liquor)

Al_wat on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My cat tries to drink my beer. He's kind of a moron.

Peen on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    arrogant bastard is great. i wish i wasn't such a broke student so I could afford to drink it more. stone makes a really nice ipa too.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am like the OP, except there are some liquors I do like, sweet girly drinks with very little alcohol. But I haven't the money to buy liquor and my friends don't like the same drinks so whatever.

As far as beer goes, my family has ruined it for me. And they are ruining it for my sister and cousins as well. At parties, they switch out our drinks with beer or something when we aren't looking (pouring out the contents, or subbing a glass of like-colored liquor product) and wait for us to inadvertently drink it. All of us do the "UGGHH" face and they all laugh.

They can not have the satisfaction of me ever liking it :?

Yeah but you're like 11

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I just got back from the store and got all my supplies for making smoked ice tomorrow. Drinks incoming!

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Its summer, which means its the season of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.

I don't have any, so I am drinking a Manhattan instead, which is pretty close.

Fugitive on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    gimme dat whiskey sour

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Don't normally care for sweeter beers but Summer Shandy is good shit.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2011
    I am drinking a shitty shiraz right now in a five serving juicebox

it was 3.59

i'm gonna get pretty drunk

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like a lot of alcohols. Sometimes I wish they didn't make me drunk because I want to drink more but don't feel like being drunk right now.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
    edited May 2011
    i like being drunk a lot more then i like drinking

once again the exception being a good whiskey sour

no orange slices

also gin and tonics are the nastiest fucking drink ever

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Fact: gin is better with soda

Butters on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I recently had the opportunity to try the Amber Ale and IPA from Eel River brewing company, that shit is amazing. The difference in taste between those beers and equivalent big brands I've had is like the difference in taste between a bursting-with-condiments-and-veggies monster sub & a plain meat'n'bread sandwich.
    Fact: gin is better with soda
    Fact: whiskey is better with no soda. Pour that shit in a glass and drink it. Delicious.

JAEF on
    edited May 2011
    I drink whiskey straight too but on the rocks.

Butters on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What no.

Adding ice waters it down too much and numbs your tongue so you can taste it even less.

I mean if you're drinking cheap and nasty stuff then yeah you want to disguise the taste, but then you're probably better off mixing it with something else.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
    edited May 2011
    Ice with straight whiskey is an abomination.

JAEF on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    IPAs are still the best

I had

hop-juice.gif

last night. Very, very tasty! Not as good as my beloved Lagunitas, mind you. But still quite delicious

Didgeridoo on
    edited May 2011
    JAEF wrote: »

Oh fuck off

Butters on
    edited May 2011
    JAEF wrote: »

Oh fuck off
    :mrgreen:

JAEF on
    edited May 2011
    I can still taste a good whiskey just fine with the temperature brought down a little and it burns less. It's not like I wait till the ice is all melted.

On the rare occasion I get something very expensive I'll sip on it neat though.

Butters on