As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bastion-Action RPG of the Year

• Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Enjoying the narration as much as I hoped.

Me too. Which is not at all. Mute button, you're my only friend.

I'm really hoping there's not any kinds of sound cues later on or I'm fucked.

Heh. This whole thing reminds me of our CoE discussion the other day. :P

I'm gonna try out the demo. Nothing on SoA looked remotely interesting to me but then again I didn't do a lot of research.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    fun fact (?), the narrator was actually more of an afterthought. According to one dude over on Gaf. The story goes that one dev did a funny commentary during a test-run and they liked it and hired a voice actor.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    They shoulda got Morgan Freeman for narrator.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    They shoulda got Morgan Freeman for narrator.

God forbid.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Enjoying the narration as much as I hoped.

Me too. Which is not at all. Mute button, you're my only friend.

I'm really hoping there's not any kinds of sound cues later on or I'm fucked.

Is it the voice, or the whole idea of the narrator that you hate?

Because, I like the idea, but that voice is just awful...

The voice. The idea is neat, I guess. But he sounds like backwoods good ol' boy trying to sound cool and it just makes me wanna hurl.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    You guys are fucking crazy. The narrator is awesome!

Anyway, has anyone gotten first at the War Machete proving ground? Any tips?

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You know the thing I'm both excited about and slightly disappointed about is that I can't figure out what the penalty for dying is. I died at one point and it just said press a button to continue. I wasn't paying attention, so I didn't notice if I lost xp, used a health potion I'd been saving up, or lost any of those crystal shards I've been collecting. But the kid just got right back up and went at it.

So yeah, excited because I have a full schedule and no death penalty makes games so much easier to get through. A little let down because it takes the challenge out of the game.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote:
    You know the thing I'm both excited about and slightly disappointed about is that I can't figure out what the penalty for dying is. I died at one point and it just said press a button to continue. I wasn't paying attention, so I didn't notice if I lost xp, used a health potion I'd been saving up, or lost any of those crystal shards I've been collecting. But the kid just got right back up and went at it.

So yeah, excited because I have a full schedule and no death penalty makes games so much easier to get through. A little let down because it takes the challenge out of the game.

The penalty is that you can only do that once per level. If you die again you have to start over.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote:

The penalty is that you can only do that once per level. If you die again you have to start over.

Well that's a pretty good system. Gives you one get out of jail free card. Thus far the levels seem pretty short, so restarting probably won't be that bad. If the levels begin stretching out I might get frustrated. But yay for it not auto-killing me when I fall off the level. That was a great call.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Excellent. This is now downloading.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I really really like the narrator. Also there is very very little written story in the game, so muting the narrator takes out about 95% of the story. He also comments on things like the histories of different weapon combos when you equip them and how the spirits taste. He also goes into back story when doing the proving ground challenges, there are little story pieces practically everywhere.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    When is this coming out for PC?

Been following GB's coverage for awhile and it's looking pretty good.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Antihippy wrote:
    When is this coming out for PC?

All they've said about a PC release date is "Later this year".

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    You guys are fucking crazy. The narrator is awesome!

Anyway, has anyone gotten first at the War Machete proving ground? Any tips?

It's pretty easy when you know how, just go into the center immediately and kill those green skinned squirts that spawns at your feet fast (these are cowards and really annoying and timeconsuming to get if you let them run off)
    ignore the turrets while killing them off, next go after the Squirt machines, so they dont make more of them, lastly take turrets and blue squirts, I got it in 40 seconds, used only damage buffs on the war machete

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Namrok wrote:
    Namrok wrote:

Well that's a pretty good system. Gives you one get out of jail free card. Thus far the levels seem pretty short, so restarting probably won't be that bad. If the levels begin stretching out I might get frustrated. But yay for it not auto-killing me when I fall off the level. That was a great call.

Also there is a potion you can equip that gives you 1 more "life" but it is at the cost of other awesome potions you could use instead.

One other thing. I did the smoking pipe Memory without any modifiers. Holy shit. I now totally respect Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb's position on top of the leaderboards for finshing that with everything on.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    One other thing. I did the smoking pipe Memory without any modifiers. Holy shit. I now totally respect Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb's position on top of the leaderboards for finshing that with everything on.

Same here, if I hadn't seen the giantbomb ql I would think that it would be impossible to with all 10 on.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Ok, really cool game. Awesome music. Narrator kicks ass. Backwoods accent? Believe me, that is NOT what backwoods, good ol' boys sound like. At all. EVER.

I'm liking the numerous weapons, and how each has it's own place. Way deeper than I imagined.

• Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    fun fact (?), the narrator was actually more of an afterthought. According to one dude over on Gaf. The story goes that one dev did a funny commentary during a test-run and they liked it and hired a voice actor.

Pretty sure this is super not true. Giant Bomb has been following the making of this game for ages and the narration has always been a big deal. Unless we have different definitions of "afterthought."

Also, the narrator is awesome and muting the game seems like it would make you miss out on almost all the story?

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Loving this game. Turning the Sigils on makes it extremely challenging, which is nice.

Currently using War Machete/Dueling Pistols. I haven't found a Secret Skill I really like yet. Poison weapons, either the Breaker Bow or War Machete, are great.

I love the narrator, but there is an option for captions, as well as a volume control for the narrator, for those who don't.

• Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of the trip mine. I like dropping one just as I roll away from a group of characters or a big one to finish them off with whatever ranged weapon I'm carrying at the time.

I think the combat in this is fantastic.

XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mmm, sexy narrator voice!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    Are many of the weapons easily missable? I only have 5 and I feel like I'm getting close to the end... that or the narrator is tricking me.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    He is tricking you.

I just finished the game and wow, it was very very good. Took me about 6 hours, but I didn't do many of the proving grounds and I didn't turn any of the idols on. There is a new game+ that lets you keep your exp and weapons or weapon upgrades, so I plan to run through the game again.

Ending spoilers below:
    I am curious what people chose at the end? I went with saving zulf and evacuating the city. I'm curious about the other ending, and its neat that they threw the choice in at the end.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Screw you speed runners. Now I have to avoid this thread.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This game is pretty hard to put down, I just got the last Vigil thing after getting the last weapon, and I had to force myself to turn the xbox off.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Are there any carrots to playing the game through again, things that become available(if you even know at this early stage)?

The aesthetics of the game will certainly be a draw, but in Shadow Complex, I guess it was just the particular need to get 100% map completion; I don't know if Bastion has anything like that.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    well i'm a little disappointed. this is a fun little action game, but 1200 points seems a bit steep. the narrator has a great voice but it's not exactly adding much to the game for me, and the gameplay is pretty strong but kinda forgettable. i also have trouble telling when enemies are actually going to attack when it's twenty of them on screen at once. seems like the game would be better suited to broad area-of-effect swings and shots if they're going to put that many enemies on you. doesn't seem like a game i'll play again or think about again in the future.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Because of the enemy swarms I tended to stick the the scrap musket and boosted its knockback effect to keep enemies off me, that combined with the war machete with the DoT upgrade made quick work of most things I encountered.

Septus wrote:
    Are there any carrots to playing the game through again, things that become available(if you even know at this early stage)?

The aesthetics of the game will certainly be a draw, but in Shadow Complex, I guess it was just the particular need to get 100% map completion; I don't know if Bastion has anything like that.

100%ing bastion will be a feat, considering all the proving grounds that need completion and needing to find all of the upgrade material for every weapon. That said the only thing I can think of that will be unique to the second playthrough will be the last weapon unlock and an ending thing. Besides that I don't know if new game+ does anything else, though you can alter your experience by turning the idols on.

It feels like a steal to me, at $15 I will I already got 6 hours out of the game and plan to get about 6 more. That said the demo is a good indicator of the rest of the game, so if the demo didn't sell you then it may not be worth it to pick it up.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote:
    Namrok wrote:

Also there is a potion you can equip that gives you 1 more "life" but it is at the cost of other awesome potions you could use instead.

I can't believe that the guy who constantly gets bad rep for dying during quicklooks and being bad at video games is the one who accomplished this.

396796-1.png
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ahahahaahahaha that narrator won me over in the first five minutes.

After the first encounter I just started smashing stuff. Narrator goes: "Kid just rages for awhile." I dunno why but it just cracked me up.

The narrator is awesome. Haters gon hate.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Okay so the
    singer
    level is pretty awesome. Man I am loving this game.

• Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    This game is excellent.

I've been picking it up at random points throughout the day and going for an hour or two, and I haven't had a single honest complaint yet. The combat is very rewarding and just deep enough for the game type, the weapon and idol options provide a surprising amount of gameplay variation for a $15 title, and the writing and voice acting are top notch. I'm genuinely excited to do a New Game+ once this is over, despite rarely playing any game twice.

I sincerely hope this game does well enough to get a sequel or two.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

Pretty sure this is super not true. Giant Bomb has been following the making of this game for ages and the narration has always been a big deal. Unless we have different definitions of "afterthought."
    I don't remember the story of how the idea came about, but the voice actor is a childhood friend of one of the programmers. It's definitely covered in the Building the Bastion series over at Giant Bomb, which was pretty interesting.

I haven't had a chance to play this yet. Looking forward to it, though. Seems pretty sweet.

• Options
    Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    Avoiding reading threads to avoid spoilers - let me just saw this is one of my favorite games of all time...the art, the music, the design, the pacing, the humor, everything is like they hand crafted the game for my tastes. To think that it's made by such a small team is just one of the most amazing achievements in game development in recent history.

Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Absolutely love this game. It's captured my imagination - as a truly great game should - plus for the price it's terrific. I love the balance in the weapons you have available and the idol system for increasing difficulty. This is by far one of my favourite games.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    This is good, but it looks like wank on an SDTV. It's got the classic "unable to read text" problem. I really need to get myself a proper television.

• Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    So, my deep obsession with this game and doing the challanges made me fight through the Bullhead challange. I offer these tips.
    For the big gassfella's roll into them after the counter. This will save you having to counter them twice.
    Gassfella's will shimmer when they're about to attack. This makes it easier when countering the smaller ones.
    For the squirts they can be tricky but just keep countering them. If you mess up the first counter, they will pass through you on the second meaning you'll have to counter them a third or fourth time.
    When you get to the point where there are two rapid fire cannons, try to line them up. You will automatically switch to the closest target which often leads to a bunch of bullets to the face.
    For the final gassbag, stand near the edge so he flys off. If he wont go off the main side. Stand on an angle at the section of the south part of the screen where there's a hole in the main platform and he will fly off into the sunset.

• Options
    YES NARRATION VOICE VOLUME SLIDER I LOVE YOU GAME OPTIONS SCREEN

Unfortunately, I can see the complaints in the reviews have merit, the combat is pretty uninteresting.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    YES NARRATION VOICE VOLUME SLIDER I LOVE YOU GAME OPTIONS SCREEN

Unfortunately, I can see the complaints in the reviews have merit, the combat is pretty uninteresting.
    The narrator is like 75% of the appeal of this game. I just don't think it's for you if you hate the core gimmick.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Only about an hour in, but the game is great so far. I thought I'd get annoyed by the voice but even that is well done.

The only thing that bothered me so far is the War Machete proving ground. However, at the time I didn't know that upgrades apply to those areas.

Battletag: Noggin#1936