As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dovahkiin! Dovahkiin! Something, something, [Daggerfall]!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    nah, tube said it wasn't a money issue, we just gotta wait this one out

Brolo on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is from the article linked on Wikipedia, regarding archery and arrows.
    Ranged weapons could be effective in Oblivion once you improved your skill level, but you had to pierce enemies with several arrows to take them down. After playing an Oblivion mod that turned the bow and arrow into a formidable weapon capable of one-hit kills, Bethesda decided to adopt that approach. It now takes a lot longer to get off a shot, but the arrows are much more powerful than before.

As in Oblivion, you can zoom to aim, and the longer you keep the bow drawn the more powerful your shot will be. Unlike Oblivion, the arrows now violently impact enemies with a satisfying thud. To keep players from coasting through the world plucking enemies from afar, Bethesda has significantly altered the arrow economy to make them a valuable but limited option. You won't be rolling into combat stacked with 50 Daedric arrows anymore. Though you don't have much defense when using the bow and arrow, if an enemy gets too close for comfort you can still execute a bash move, which knocks your foe off balance and gives you time to create distance between you and your target.

Platy on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can live with that - seems a good balance to me

101 on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay if it's only the high level arrows (like Daedric) being rare, that's fine. The material's rare, and probably gonna be saved for something more substantial, like a longsword or something.

but ALL ARROWS being rare? That's bullshit. You can literally make arrows with A: A stick, and B: A shaped rock. Won't be that effective, but it can be shot out of a bow. Hell you don't even need the rock part if you're really worried about it!

I've made primitive arrows before.

And based on the screenshots, neither trees for sticks nor rocks are particularly rare.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am so pumped for this game. I loved the last two and put way too many hours into them.

My only thing is I wonder how demanding the specs are going to be. I don't want to have to rebuild my entire pc just to rebirth my sweet Knight and my kick ass Viking warriors

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not really worried about level scaling or arrow rarity or anything like that, because I know these are things that will be modded better lickity-split. As long as Bethesda provide me with a big, fun, engrossing world that's all I really care about.

edit: with lots of shit to steal and a big house to decorate with all of my stuff. These are also critical.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    smof wrote: »
    I'm not really worried about level scaling or arrow rarity or anything like that, because I know these are things that will be modded better lickity-split. As long as Bethesda provide me with a big, fun, engrossing world that's all I really care about.

I do have an issue with it, because this is basic economics.

Something relatively simple and relatively easily made from plentiful materials should not be rare and expensive

Christ, what happens when I make a character who melts down swords and armor to make huge amounts of arrows?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if that makes you angry, wait until you find out that people don't actually have hit points

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really want to enjoy Oblivion, but it crashes my computer all the damn time. I can get between 5 and 45 minutes of play before it just goes thunk.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    if that makes you angry, wait until you find out that people don't actually have hit points

I'm trying to think of an alternate system, and the only one I can think of is a Dwarf Fortress style organ damage one.

Which would be fucking awesome.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    sounds like an overheating problem
    Doubtful, no other game (even more graphically intensive ones) does that.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've had issues like that, Callius, and the best I can suggest is driver updates, or just get a new video card period.

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade did that for awhile.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not worried about the arrow thing because it seems like it will be easily fixed by a mod.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not even convinced it needs to be fixed.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I hope the thievery system is closer to morrowind's than oblivions though. Stealing stuff in oblivion was dumb. Merchants on the other side of the country should not be aware that the pitcher you are selling to them was stolen.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'm not even convinced it needs to be fixed.

Oh yeah we haven't really even seen how rare they are even going to be anyway. I will be able to see once I get the game and play it.

But if it is a problem it seems easily fixed is what I'm saying.

Artreus on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    If it ain't broke, ya ain't gotta fix it, ya dang whipper-snappers.
    Who am I kidding, really? Dru's like ... maybe 5 years older than me.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bAllowConsole 1

`

player.additem 0001EFD3 1000

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    I hope the thievery system is closer to morrowind's than oblivions though. Stealing stuff in oblivion was dumb. Merchants on the other side of the country should not be aware that the pitcher you are selling to them was stolen.

I liked the idea of selling to fences to get rid of stolen property, especially gems and valuable, distinct property, like some lord's ring or lady's diamond-crusted back-scratcher.

But a clay vase? There's about a hojillion of them in every other dungeon. Biggest sticking point for me was picking up items from a den of thieves in the middle of the wilderness before I killed them all and having ALL of the items red-flagged as stolen.

I'm not stealing from thieves to sell on the black market here, I'm returning the stolen property to the economy for a small finder's fee.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ayleid invisible property marker ink. The bane of Tamrielian thieves everywhere.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    GalyGaly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Morrowind had its problems too though. Like if you stole the diamond from Bob's shop, then every diamond in the game was considered stolen according to Bob. So not only could you not sell Bob's diamond back to Bob, but Bob won't buy any fucking diamonds ever.

The problem I had was that I stole the master's alchemical equipment (worth a couple thousand) every time I saw it. But then none of the alchemical merchants would buy the equipment back from me, and you can't sell that shit to Creeper, so I ended up being stuck with like 5 Master's Mortars & Pestles that were impossible to sell!

There are ways to avoid this situation but damn it sure is annoying.

Galy on
    mustache w/ hat c|:{
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In Daggerfall, you could hang around inside merchants stores until they closed and no one was there, go up to the shelves, steal 75 horses without anyone noticing, and then sell them back in the morning without the merchant noticing that he no longer had any horses on his shelves.

So overall, we're getting closer.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fishman wrote: »
    In Daggerfall, you could hang around inside merchants stores until they closed but the shopkeeper remained, go up to the shelves, steal 75 horses without anyone noticing, and then sell them back immediately to the still present shopkeeper.

Indeed we are.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The easiest solution to this thievery "problem" is to never steal anything because it is just not very nice!!!!!

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »
    In Daggerfall, you could hang around inside merchants stores until they closed but the shopkeeper remained, go up to the shelves, steal 75 horses without anyone noticing, and then sell them back immediately to the still present shopkeeper.

Indeed we are.

I claim poetic license. That, and something of a foggy memory. I only did it once to see if it actually worked.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Perhaps have like a radius where it's noticed as stolen?

Like in the city you stole from, people know it's stolen, and if you try to sell to the person you stole from they recognise it and get the guards. Then a few towns over you're free to sell whatever.
    Maybe have it fade out, so one town away a weapon salesman may or may not recognise a stolen sword.

Heck maybe if you're a frequent customer and you do a quest for the merchant you earn his trust and they'll buy anything (unless it was theirs).

101 on
  • Options
    GalyGaly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm actually trying a "no stealing" playthrough of Morrowind right now.

It is... harder.

Galy on
    mustache w/ hat c|:{
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's okay.

Your foggy memory made the "theft" (it was entirely legal, really) system in the game sound more reasonable than it actually was.

I couldn't just let that be, though.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Take everything thats not nailed down.

Most fun way to play Oblivion/FO3

101 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think they've said Skyrim won't have 'clairvoyant guards', so maybe this time there will be a refined theft and property system?

Fishman on
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I saw an arrow the other day. Horrible creatures.

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm cool with not having to riddle a dude with a dozen arrows before he goes down. It does seem pretty silly that arrows are some sort of rarity, though.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Archery - I think that making bows do more damage is good. I mean, english longbows were designed to penetrate plate mail so it makes sense that they should be devastating weapons.
    As far as arrows, I hope they just mean the more expensive materials. I'm going to be a bit irritated if I have to mod in an item that was a weapon before metal was discovered because it is unrealistically rare.

Stealing - If I had to think of an ideal system then items would have a flag of what city they are stolen from. Any common item under a certain worth could be sold in another city to any merchant or a fence. More expensive or unique stolen goods though would have to be sold to a fence.

Levelled Areas - I hope Bethesda is going to handle it better than previously. I want to see areas having a minimum level. Like, say, dungeon A has a minimum level of 10. All monsters and loot in that dungeon are lvl 10 if you go into it from lvl 1-10. If you discover the dungeon later in your career and you are lvl 14, then it automatically levels with you from that point on. I don't want dungeons fixed so that they might become a cakewalk if you overlevel them but if I underlevel them I DO want them to be possibly so hard I have to level up some more before I come back. If even the hard dungeons are just within 1-3 levels of you then that makes for some pretty boring challenges.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zay wrote: »
    The easiest solution to this thievery "problem" is to never steal anything because it is just not very nice!!!!!

It looks like English, but I can't understand a fucking word of what you just said, son.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pick up every skull in the game

Make a skull throne from them

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

See?

English, complete and comprehensible.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

skooma for the skooma throne.

Huntera on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm a total goodie two-shoes in all these kinds of games but I will steal everything in sight all day long. It's so much fun to get away with theft in an Elder Scrolls game.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think we might be treating the arrow rarity thing as too big a deal. Like they might not be super duper rare, where there are only like 10 arrows in the game. You probably just don't have hundreds of arrows all over the place. Maybe?

Artreus on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe they're just limiting the number you can carry in a quiver? Like 400 arrows is hardly something a regular person could lug around then run and fight with while its on their back.

RabidDeathMoose on
This discussion has been closed.